noinitrd - Linux

This is a discussion on noinitrd - Linux ; I have compiled new modules and a new kernel and cannot remember for the life of me how to pass the noinitrd option to the kernel at boot time using the grub shell. My linux is set up to use ...

  1. noinitrd

    I have compiled new modules and a new kernel and cannot remember for the
    life of me how to pass the noinitrd option to the kernel at boot time using
    the grub shell. My linux is set up to use the MS bootloader and I choose
    linux and grub> appears. It must be something after kernel. I've tried
    noinit. --no-initrd everything I know. When booted and I run mkinitrd I get
    a response all of your loopback devices are on.

    Bill

  2. Re: noinitrd

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:24:49 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > I have compiled new modules and a new kernel and cannot remember for the
    > life of me how to pass the noinitrd option to the kernel at boot time
    > using the grub shell. My linux is set up to use the MS bootloader and I
    > choose linux and grub> appears. It must be something after kernel. I've
    > tried noinit. --no-initrd everything I know. When booted and I run
    > mkinitrd I get a response all of your loopback devices are on.
    >
    > Bill

    Have you tried "noinitrd" only? With no dashes.

  3. Re: noinitrd

    "jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
    > Have you tried "noinitrd" only? With no dashes.

    Yes. No go. I what to make a new ramdisk to load after the kernel and it
    isn't working. I've tried.

    kernel /boot/kernel root=noninitrd
    kernel /boot/kernel noinitrd
    kernel /boot/kernel init=noinitrd

    All from the grub shell and none of them work.

    Bill

  4. Re: noinitrd

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:21:46 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > "jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
    >> Have you tried "noinitrd" only? With no dashes.

    > Yes. No go. I what to make a new ramdisk to load after the kernel
    > and it
    > isn't working. I've tried.
    >
    > kernel /boot/kernel root=noninitrd
    > kernel /boot/kernel noinitrd
    > kernel /boot/kernel init=noinitrd
    >
    > All from the grub shell and none of them work.
    >
    > Bill

    Oh, I thought you did not want to use initrd. (noinitrd) Now it appears
    you want to use a ramdisk. I have never done it myself, but I think that
    you add "initrd=filename" to your kernel options.

    kernel /boot/vmlinzu initrd=initrd.img

    Or, as on my ubuntu system, there is line after the kernel line.

    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-
    initrd /boot/initrd.img

    stonerfish

  5. Re: noinitrd

    > Oh, I thought you did not want to use initrd. (noinitrd) Now it appears
    > you want to use a ramdisk. I have never done it myself, but I think that
    > you add "initrd=filename" to your kernel options.
    >
    > kernel /boot/vmlinzu initrd=initrd.img
    >
    > Or, as on my ubuntu system, there is line after the kernel line.
    >
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img

    No you're correct I want noninitrd. When I log int I want to use
    mkinitrd to make initrd(initial ramdisk). I have compiled a new kernel and
    modules but I can't load the modules without a new initrd image. I'm using
    an old RH9 although I do have a recent copy of fedora.

  6. Re: noinitrd

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 16:27:08 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > "jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
    >
    >> Oh, I thought you did not want to use initrd. (noinitrd) Now it
    >> appears you want to use a ramdisk. I have never done it myself, but I
    >> think that you add "initrd=filename" to your kernel options.
    >>
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinzu initrd=initrd.img
    >>
    >> Or, as on my ubuntu system, there is line after the kernel line.
    >>
    >> kernel /boot/vmlinuz- initrd
    >> /boot/initrd.img

    > No you're correct I want noninitrd. When I log int I want to use
    > mkinitrd to make initrd(initial ramdisk). I have compiled a new kernel
    > and modules but I can't load the modules without a new initrd image. I'm
    > using an old RH9 although I do have a recent copy of fedora.

    I am not sure what you mean. Does you system fail to boot? Are your
    original kernel and initrd.img gone?

    sf

  7. Re: noinitrd

    > I am not sure what you mean. Does you system fail to boot? Are your
    > original kernel and initrd.img gone?
    >
    > sf

    Yes the system fails to boot. The kernel that came with the distro was a
    2.4.20. I have a 2.4.35 that I want to use. My system boots just like yours
    from the grub shell

    kernel /*parameters and path */
    initrd /*initrd image */

    I tried

    kernel /bot/ln root=noinitrd

    and that failed ln is the name of my new kernel.

    Bill

  8. Re: noinitrd

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:39:14 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > "jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
    >
    >> I am not sure what you mean. Does you system fail to boot? Are your
    >> original kernel and initrd.img gone?
    >>
    >> sf

    > Yes the system fails to boot. The kernel that came with the distro
    > was a
    > 2.4.20. I have a 2.4.35 that I want to use. My system boots just like
    > yours from the grub shell
    >
    > kernel /*parameters and path */
    > initrd /*initrd image */
    >
    > I tried
    >
    > kernel /bot/ln root=noinitrd
    >
    > and that failed ln is the name of my new kernel.
    >
    > Bill

    So, did you remove your old kernel? You should have kept your old
    kernel, until you were sure you could boot with the new one.

    sf

  9. Re: noinitrd

    > So, did you remove your old kernel? You should have kept your old
    > kernel, until you were sure you could boot with the new one.

    No no. I still have the old kernel. I have to boot into it to use the
    system. I couldn't remove my old kernel until I was running the new one so
    the old one wouldn't be in memory and in use anyway. I just not getting the
    proper switches or something.

    Bill

  10. Re: noinitrd

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 20:41:30 -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:

    > "jellybean stonerfish" wrote in message
    >> So, did you remove your old kernel? You should have kept your old
    >> kernel, until you were sure you could boot with the new one.

    > No no. I still have the old kernel. I have to boot into it to use
    > the
    > system. I couldn't remove my old kernel until I was running the new one
    > so the old one wouldn't be in memory and in use anyway. I just not
    > getting the proper switches or something.
    >
    > Bill

    Ok, so your system will boot. I understand that much.
    Are you having trouble creating the new initrd, or having trouble getting
    your new kernel to load it? I have never made an initrd, so maybe I am
    leading you astray, but I thought that you would make it in your running
    system, giving it options of what modules to load.

    Guess I need to study a bit more before I try to give advice on this
    subject.

    stonerfish

  11. Re: noinitrd

    > Ok, so your system will boot. I understand that much.
    > Are you having trouble creating the new initrd, or having trouble getting
    > your new kernel to load it? I have never made an initrd, so maybe I am
    > leading you astray, but I thought that you would make it in your running
    > system, giving it options of what modules to load.
    >
    > Guess I need to study a bit more before I try to give advice on this
    > subject.
    >
    > stonerfish

    I need to boot with my new kernel and not boot an initrd*.img. The
    kernel has switches that will allow you to do this that's what I'm having
    trouble with. Once I've boot with the new kernel in memory I do

    mkinitrd in this case 2.4.35. So I would
    type

    mkinitrd in 2.4.35 which created the initrd to load the newly compiled
    kernel modules and device list. The command might've been root= after kernel

    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 root=LABEL=/
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-6.img

    Is what I type in grub now.

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread