Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware - Linux ; https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/000488.html "Reports have been coming in that the e1000e ethernet driver for Intel GigE chipsets, as included upstream in Linux 2.6.27, may under certain conditions irreparably damage your ethernet hardware by corrupting the on-board firmware." http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/116431...

  1. Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/000488.html

    "Reports have been coming in that the e1000e ethernet driver for Intel GigE
    chipsets, as included upstream in Linux 2.6.27, may under certain conditions
    irreparably damage your ethernet hardware by corrupting the on-board
    firmware."

    http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/116431

  2. Re: Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:37:23 -0600, Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

    > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...announce/2008-

    September/000488.html

    > "Reports have been coming in that the e1000e ethernet driver for Intel
    > GigE chipsets, as included upstream in Linux 2.6.27, may under certain
    > conditions irreparably damage your ethernet hardware by corrupting the
    > on-board firmware."
    >

    > http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/116431

    Talk about false and misleading propaganda!! Since I don't HAVE an Intel
    ethernet shipset, how in hell is it going to be destroyed?

  3. Re: Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/000488.html

    > "Reports have been coming in that the e1000e ethernet driver for Intel
    > GigE chipsets, as included upstream in Linux 2.6.27, may under certain
    > conditions irreparably damage your ethernet hardware by corrupting the
    > on-board firmware."
    >

    > http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/116431

    Old news. And talk about "Beta". You can, do you?
    --
    Computers are like air conditioners -
    they stop working properly when you open Windows

  4. Re: Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    After takin' a swig o' grog, ray belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:37:23 -0600, Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >
    >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/000488.html
    >>
    >> "Reports have been coming in that the e1000e ethernet driver for Intel
    >> GigE chipsets, as included upstream in Linux 2.6.27, may under certain
    >> conditions irreparably damage your ethernet hardware by corrupting the
    >> on-board firmware."

    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/026575.html

    Tue Sep 23

    The 2.6.27-rc7 changelog shows this problem has been fixed for e1000:
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...Log-2.6.27-rc7

    and this patch in the -mm series fixes it for e1000e:
    http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm-commits...8324200305&w=2

    Clearly, we need to ensure the second patch makes it into 2.6.27
    final; the corruption is reported to occur during suspend/resume
    cycles.

    Amazing how quickly stuff gets sorted out. They're at 2.6.27-rc8 now at
    kernel.org.

    --
    Political history is far too criminal a subject to be a fit thing to
    teach children.

  5. Re: Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    Dizum dip****!

    --
    Support Mental Health. Or I'll kill you.

  6. Re: Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:09:40 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >>
    >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/000488.html
    >>>
    >>> "Reports have been coming in that the e1000e ethernet driver for Intel
    >>> GigE chipsets, as included upstream in Linux 2.6.27, may under certain
    >>> conditions irreparably damage your ethernet hardware by corrupting the
    >>> on-board firmware."
    >>>
    >>> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/116431

    >> Old news. And talk about "Beta". You can, do you?

    >Dizum dip****!

    brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

  7. Re: Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    >Amazing how quickly stuff gets sorted out. They're at 2.6.27-rc8 now at
    >kernel.org.

    What would the trolls do, without google to search the planet for
    obscure issues with beta software?

    --
    "Apparently it's called choice : I call it a diluted mess designed to
    confuse and put real people off. A bit like the crazy distro dance."

  8. Re: Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    AZ Nomad writes:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:09:40 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >>>
    >>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/000488.html

    >>> Old news. And talk about "Beta". You can, do you?

    >>Dizum dip****!

    > brought to you by the department of redundancy department.

    I didn't know about that.

    Was it in Roy's NEWS in order to safe guard Linux users?

    --
    "Yes, I am a nymshifting troll. I used to be called Rafael, but since the operation I prefer to be called Robin T Cox."
    High Plains Shifter, COLA.

  9. Re: Linux Will Destroy Your Hardware

    On 2008-09-30, Hadron wrote:
    > AZ Nomad writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:09:40 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>>After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    Why should this be a problem to begin with? If the software can
    alter the hardware then the hardware should be able to accomodate
    people doing really stupid things with it. The damage shouldn't be
    permanent.

    [deletia]

    --

    Unfortunately, the universe will not conform itself to
    your fantasies. You have to manage based on what really happens |||