Linux crashes all the time! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux crashes all the time! - Linux ; Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Linux crashes all the time!

  1. Linux crashes all the time!

    Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps
    up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

  2. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps
    >up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.


    Ditch the piece of **** and get a computer that doesn't have water
    damage.

  3. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:

    > Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps
    > up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.


    As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last five
    years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

  4. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On 30 Sep 2008 16:57:27 GMT, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps
    >> up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

    >
    > As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last five
    > years. And each time it was a hardware problem.


    I'm still convinced it is Compiz and Pulse Audio that are responsible for
    the majority of hangs, crashes etc.

    They are moving too fast with eye candy and need to focus on how well the
    eye candy actually works with the other programs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  5. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On 2008-09-30, ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps
    >> up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

    >
    > As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last five
    > years. And each time it was a hardware problem.


    I would agree with that. Just as I can say the same about windows 2k, XP, and
    Vista. NT4 and ME, not so much

    --
    Tom Shelton

  6. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to
    >> FreeBSD.

    >
    > As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    > five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.


    In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I installed
    a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard video).




  7. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    "DFS" writes:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to
    >>> FreeBSD.

    >>
    >> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    >
    > In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I installed
    > a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard video).


    Listen to Jeb! Apparently all the best games run on Linux! Listen to
    Halliwell who thinks that new games are "rubbish" and that Jet Set Willy
    is more entertaining than Bioshock!

    For people that dont know, here is Bioshock:

    http://tinyurl.com/53xtkx

    Nexuiz is excellent. Its like Quake 3 but free. Quake 3 was released
    almost 10 years ago.

    --
    "Yes, I am a nymshifting troll. I used to be called Rafael, but since the operation I prefer to be called Robin T Cox."
    High Plains Shifter, COLA.

  8. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On 2008-10-01, Hadron wrote:
    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> ray wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to
    >>>> FreeBSD.
    >>>
    >>> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >>> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    >>
    >> In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I installed
    >> a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard video).

    >
    > Listen to Jeb! Apparently all the best games run on Linux! Listen to


    No... my rant would be something more along the lines of.

    "PC games? PC games are so 80s. No one plays PC games anymore..."

    > Halliwell who thinks that new games are "rubbish" and that Jet Set Willy
    > is more entertaining than Bioshock!
    >
    > For people that dont know, here is Bioshock:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/53xtkx
    >
    > Nexuiz is excellent. Its like Quake 3 but free. Quake 3 was released
    > almost 10 years ago.


    What makes you think we want another Doom rehash?


    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \
    That way leads to lawyers and business megacorps and credit cards!

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:57:27 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >
    >> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

    >
    > As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    > five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.


    That's three times too many. The responsible developers should be taken
    out and shot!

  10. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:15:09 -0500, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > On 2008-09-30, ray wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

    >>
    >> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    >
    > I would agree with that. Just as I can say the same about windows 2k,
    > XP, and Vista. NT4 and ME, not so much


    Win2K, maybe. Vista, I don't know or care. Windows XP, not a snowball's
    chance in hell.

  11. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On 30 Sep 2008 16:57:27 GMT, ray wrote:
    >On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:


    >> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps
    >> up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.


    >As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last five
    >years. And each time it was a hardware problem.


    Let me put it this way... This is the most reliable computer ever made. No such
    computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. They are all, by any
    practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.
    ....

    It can only be attributable to human error.

  12. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:06:58 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

    >>
    >> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    >
    > In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I
    > installed a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard video).


    So what do you want? A Dewey button or a chest to pin it on?

  13. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:57:46 -0500, snipe wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:57:27 +0000, ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

    >>
    >> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    >
    > That's three times too many. The responsible developers should be taken
    > out and shot!


    Perhaps you didn't read my entire post - it's pretty damned hard to keep
    the computer from crashing when you have hardware die!

  14. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    ray writes:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:06:58 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.
    >>>
    >>> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >>> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    >>
    >> In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I
    >> installed a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard video).

    >
    > So what do you want? A Dewey button or a chest to pin it on?


    I think he is suggesting that people in this group who profess not to
    even use Windows stop telling lies about its stability. Simple enough.

    All SW has glitches. Even (LOL!) Debian Stable which High Plains
    Hypocrite seems to think has no issues since its "stable". Seriously,
    you could not make that level of stupidity up.

    --
    - "Just think, consumers are not sold on XP, and Microsoft shelled out
    some major $$$ to develop this thing. This is a great opportunity for
    alternative operating systems to intercept the ball, and run it back for a
    touchdown.": comp.os.linux.advocacy - where they put the lunacy in advocacy

  15. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:42:20 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-10-01, Hadron wrote:
    >> "DFS" writes:
    >>
    >>> ray wrote:
    >>>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>>>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to
    >>>>> FreeBSD.
    >>>>
    >>>> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >>>> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.
    >>>
    >>> In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I
    >>> installed a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard
    >>> video).

    >>
    >> Listen to Jeb! Apparently all the best games run on Linux! Listen to

    >
    > No... my rant would be something more along the lines of.
    >
    > "PC games? PC games are so 80s. No one plays PC games anymore..."'


    As a user-driven OS, Linux would have more games if that's what its
    userbase demanded. Most of us are too busy exploring and using the
    25,000 free applications it puts right at our fingertips to need games
    to occupy our time.

    Some Linux developers have improved gaming capabilities in anticipation
    of the consumer market, but I'm starting to wonder if that's going to be
    necessary. Most home users would rather play highly graphical games on
    their big LCD TV than on a tiny little computer monitor but it's messy
    running the cables through the house. A gaming console that can sit next
    to the TV is a simpler, cleaner solution and has the added benefit that
    the hardware is optimized for gaming.

    >
    >> Halliwell who thinks that new games are "rubbish" and that Jet Set
    >> Willy is more entertaining than Bioshock!


    Personally, I always preferred the old text-based adventure games
    followed by mind-strategy games like sokoban, but I haven't played them
    for years now. Linux has me buried in compilers, interpreters, AI
    languages, neural-network simulators, development tools, networking
    tools, Internet applications, and the source code for 25,000
    applications and my OS, all installable with a simple menu or
    command. ****, who has time for *games*?

    As for kids, would you rather your teenager spend 20 hours a week
    playing games, or spend 20 hours a week teaching himself all about
    databases, programming, networking, etc? When I install Linux for
    someone, I don't usually have to do much more than show their kids how to
    write a "hello world" program in ruby. About half are disinterested, but
    the other half don't have *time* for games after that and may not see
    sunlight for several weeks at a time. :-)

    >> For people that dont know, here is Bioshock:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/53xtkx
    >>
    >> Nexuiz is excellent. Its like Quake 3 but free. Quake 3 was released
    >> almost 10 years ago.

    >
    > What makes you think we want another Doom rehash?


    I never could get into Doom or any of the other highly graphical games,
    except for the Myst genre and those probably would have been better as
    text-based games. I prefer mind-bending problem-solving over real-time
    action, and my own imagination is way better than anything that can ever
    be put on a computer screen.

  16. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:05:49 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:57:46 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:57:27 +0000, ray wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to
    >>>> FreeBSD.
    >>>
    >>> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >>> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    >>
    >> That's three times too many. The responsible developers should be taken
    >> out and shot!

    >
    > Perhaps you didn't read my entire post - it's pretty damned hard to keep
    > the computer from crashing when you have hardware die!


    Shoot the hardware developers!

  17. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    snipe writes:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:42:20 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-01, Hadron wrote:
    >>> "DFS" writes:
    >>>
    >>>> ray wrote:
    >>>>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>>>>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to
    >>>>>> FreeBSD.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >>>>> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.
    >>>>
    >>>> In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I
    >>>> installed a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard
    >>>> video).
    >>>
    >>> Listen to Jeb! Apparently all the best games run on Linux! Listen to

    >>
    >> No... my rant would be something more along the lines of.
    >>
    >> "PC games? PC games are so 80s. No one plays PC games anymore..."'

    >
    > As a user-driven OS, Linux would have more games if that's what its
    > userbase demanded. Most of us are too busy exploring and using the
    > 25,000 free applications it puts right at our fingertips to need games
    > to occupy our time.
    >
    > Some Linux developers have improved gaming capabilities in anticipation
    > of the consumer market, but I'm starting to wonder if that's going to be
    > necessary. Most home users would rather play highly graphical games on
    > their big LCD TV than on a tiny little computer monitor but it's messy
    > running the cables through the house. A gaming console that can sit next
    > to the TV is a simpler, cleaner solution and has the added benefit that
    > the hardware is optimized for gaming.


    Oh god. Another clueless COLA head talking about things he knows nothing
    about. A modern PC is a MUCH more powerful gaming platform than any
    console. Much higher storage capacity, much more powerful video, much
    higher resolution, much more memory. And dual head means you can still
    play your games on that big TV quite easily should you want to. Most
    people however choose not to because other members of the family are
    ..... watching TV.

    >
    >>
    >>> Halliwell who thinks that new games are "rubbish" and that Jet Set
    >>> Willy is more entertaining than Bioshock!

    >
    > Personally, I always preferred the old text-based adventure games
    > followed by mind-strategy games like sokoban, but I haven't played them
    > for years now. Linux has me buried in compilers, interpreters, AI
    > languages, neural-network simulators, development tools, networking
    > tools, Internet applications, and the source code for 25,000
    > applications and my OS, all installable with a simple menu or
    > command. ****, who has time for *games*?


    People who know how to live a balanced life? Seriously what the hell are
    you talking about suggesting that 25,000 apps (most of which are shelved
    rubbish) are a replacement for good entertainment software?

    It's like saying "Holidays? I have a compiler to debug which is much
    more fun."

  18. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    Hadron wrote:

    >
    > All SW has glitches. Even (LOL!) Debian Stable which High Plains
    > Hypocrite seems to think has no issues since its "stable". Seriously,
    > you could not make that level of stupidity up.
    >



    HPH has never posted to COLA using Debian Etch.









    --
    "nobody != DFS" - the idiot HPT

  19. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:33:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "DFS" writes:
    >
    >> ray wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to
    >>>> FreeBSD.
    >>>
    >>> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last
    >>> five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    >>
    >> In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I installed
    >> a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard video).

    >
    > Listen to Jeb! Apparently all the best games run on Linux! Listen to
    > Halliwell who thinks that new games are "rubbish" and that Jet Set Willy
    > is more entertaining than Bioshock!
    >
    > For people that dont know, here is Bioshock:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/53xtkx
    >
    > Nexuiz is excellent. Its like Quake 3 but free. Quake 3 was released
    > almost 10 years ago.


    Jeb is like something that has arisen out of The Exodus.
    A true Unix fossil.
    I'll bet he has an amber screen strapped to his back and a pocket protector
    complete with an assortment of IBM punch cards with notes on them.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  20. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:20:58 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > snipe writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:42:20 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-10-01, Hadron wrote:
    >>>> "DFS" writes:
    >>>>
    >>>>> ray wrote:
    >>>>>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this
    >>>>>>> keeps up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to
    >>>>>>> FreeBSD.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the
    >>>>>> last five years. And each time it was a hardware problem.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I
    >>>>> installed a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard
    >>>>> video).
    >>>>
    >>>> Listen to Jeb! Apparently all the best games run on Linux! Listen to
    >>>
    >>> No... my rant would be something more along the lines of.
    >>>
    >>> "PC games? PC games are so 80s. No one plays PC games
    >>> anymore..."'

    >>
    >> As a user-driven OS, Linux would have more games if that's what its
    >> userbase demanded. Most of us are too busy exploring and using the
    >> 25,000 free applications it puts right at our fingertips to need games
    >> to occupy our time.
    >>
    >> Some Linux developers have improved gaming capabilities in anticipation
    >> of the consumer market, but I'm starting to wonder if that's going to
    >> be necessary. Most home users would rather play highly graphical games
    >> on their big LCD TV than on a tiny little computer monitor but it's
    >> messy running the cables through the house. A gaming console that can
    >> sit next to the TV is a simpler, cleaner solution and has the added
    >> benefit that the hardware is optimized for gaming.

    >
    > Oh god. Another clueless COLA head talking about things he knows nothing
    > about. A modern PC is a MUCH more powerful gaming platform than any
    > console. Much higher storage capacity, much more powerful video, much
    > higher resolution, much more memory.


    I'd like to see you make this 4-year-old laptop outperform a Wii.

    > And dual head means you can still
    > play your games on that big TV quite easily should you want to.


    Still gotta run the cables. Although I hear they have wireless video
    links now?

    > Most people however choose not to because other members of the family
    > are .... watching TV.


    So much for their having a "balanced life"...

    >>
    >>>> Halliwell who thinks that new games are "rubbish" and that Jet Set
    >>>> Willy is more entertaining than Bioshock!

    >>
    >> Personally, I always preferred the old text-based adventure games
    >> followed by mind-strategy games like sokoban, but I haven't played them
    >> for years now. Linux has me buried in compilers, interpreters, AI
    >> languages, neural-network simulators, development tools, networking
    >> tools, Internet applications, and the source code for 25,000
    >> applications and my OS, all installable with a simple menu or command.
    >> ****, who has time for *games*?

    >
    > People who know how to live a balanced life? Seriously what the hell are
    > you talking about suggesting that 25,000 apps (most of which are shelved
    > rubbish) are a replacement for good entertainment software?


    "Rubbish" is in the eye of the troll...

    > It's like saying "Holidays? I have a compiler to debug which is much
    > more fun."


    Linux wouldn't exist if not for millions of developers and contributors
    with exactly that attitude.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast