Linux crashes all the time! - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux crashes all the time! - Linux ; On 2008-10-01, snipe wrote: > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:42:20 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote: > >> On 2008-10-01, Hadron wrote: >>> "DFS" writes: >>> >>>> ray wrote: >>>>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> Ubuntu ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On 2008-10-01, snipe wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:42:20 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> Listen to Jeb! Apparently all the best games run on Linux! Listen to

    >> No... my rant would be something more along the lines of.
    >>
    >> "PC games? PC games are so 80s. No one plays PC games anymore..."'

    > As a user-driven OS, Linux would have more games if that's what its
    > userbase demanded. Most of us are too busy exploring and using the
    > 25,000 free applications it puts right at our fingertips to need games
    > to occupy our time.

    ...or just using the gaming platform with all of the current mindshare.

    [deletia]

    --
    ....as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
    / | \

  2. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On 2008-10-01, Hadron wrote:
    > snipe writes:

    >>> No... my rant would be something more along the lines of.
    >>>
    >>> "PC games? PC games are so 80s. No one plays PC games anymore..."'

    >> As a user-driven OS, Linux would have more games if that's what its
    >> userbase demanded. Most of us are too busy exploring and using the
    >> 25,000 free applications it puts right at our fingertips to need games
    >> to occupy our time.
    >>
    >> Some Linux developers have improved gaming capabilities in anticipation
    >> of the consumer market, but I'm starting to wonder if that's going to be
    >> necessary. Most home users would rather play highly graphical games on
    >> their big LCD TV than on a tiny little computer monitor but it's messy
    >> running the cables through the house. A gaming console that can sit next
    >> to the TV is a simpler, cleaner solution and has the added benefit that
    >> the hardware is optimized for gaming.

    > Oh god. Another clueless COLA head talking about things he knows nothing
    > about. A modern PC is a MUCH more powerful gaming platform than any
    > console. Much higher storage capacity, much more powerful video, much

    We're trying to have fun, not launch Sputnik.

    > higher resolution, much more memory. And dual head means you can still
    > play your games on that big TV quite easily should you want to. Most
    > people however choose not to because other members of the family are
    > .... watching TV.

    You have no clue what "most" people want.

    Consoles have been eclipsing PC gaming for a long time. This isn't
    exactly a new trend or anything by a long stretch.

    [deletia]

    Kids these days are more likely to be gaming on a DS than watching TV.

    --
    ....as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
    / | \

  3. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, snipe belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:20:58 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>>
    >>> snipe:
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I always preferred the old text-based adventure games
    >>> followed by mind-strategy games like sokoban, but I haven't played them
    >>> for years now. Linux has me buried in compilers, interpreters, AI
    >>> languages, neural-network simulators, development tools, networking
    >>> tools, Internet applications, and the source code for 25,000
    >>> applications and my OS, all installable with a simple menu or command.
    >>> ****, who has time for *games*?

    >> People who know how to live a balanced life? Seriously what the hell are
    >> you talking about suggesting that 25,000 apps (most of which are shelved
    >> rubbish) are a replacement for good entertainment software?

    > "Rubbish" is in the eye of the troll...

    Well, you can count on Hadron to twist your words. There's something
    wrong with that boy.

    >> It's like saying "Holidays? I have a compiler to debug which is much
    >> more fun."

    > Linux wouldn't exist if not for millions of developers and contributors
    > with exactly that attitude.

    Indeed. I once prototyped a cross-platform audio server over the
    holidays. Although it ended up not being used (it was a work
    prototype), I learned a lot doing it, and it was fun (and
    draining).

    In fact, I used to do some MIDI music and some light gaming, but
    tinkering with code has kind of taken over.

    If I didn't have soccer, I'd be broader than a barn.

    --
    What nonsense people talk about happy marriages! A man can be happy with
    any woman so long as he doesn't love her.

  4. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    snipe writes:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:20:58 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> snipe writes:

    >>> As a user-driven OS, Linux would have more games if that's what its
    >>> userbase demanded. Most of us are too busy exploring and using the
    >>> 25,000 free applications it puts right at our fingertips to need games
    >>> to occupy our time.
    >>>
    >>> Some Linux developers have improved gaming capabilities in anticipation
    >>> of the consumer market, but I'm starting to wonder if that's going to
    >>> be necessary. Most home users would rather play highly graphical games
    >>> on their big LCD TV than on a tiny little computer monitor but it's
    >>> messy running the cables through the house. A gaming console that can
    >>> sit next to the TV is a simpler, cleaner solution and has the added
    >>> benefit that the hardware is optimized for gaming.

    >> Oh god. Another clueless COLA head talking about things he knows nothing
    >> about. A modern PC is a MUCH more powerful gaming platform than any
    >> console. Much higher storage capacity, much more powerful video, much
    >> higher resolution, much more memory.

    > I'd like to see you make this 4-year-old laptop outperform a Wii.

    Before or after I teach you how to read?

    Lets try again and not consider your old, under specced and cost cutting
    laptop eh?

    ,----
    | >> about. A modern PC is a MUCH more powerful gaming platform than any
    | >> console. Much higher storage capacity, much more powerful video, much
    | >> higher resolution, much more memory.
    `----

    Third word in.

    Get it?

  5. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:26:45 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, snipe belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> People who know how to live a balanced life? Seriously what the hell
    >>> are you talking about suggesting that 25,000 apps (most of which are
    >>> shelved rubbish) are a replacement for good entertainment software?

    >> "Rubbish" is in the eye of the troll...

    > Well, you can count on Hadron to twist your words. There's something
    > wrong with that boy.

    "Boy's as sharp as a bowling ball!"

    >>> It's like saying "Holidays? I have a compiler to debug which is much
    >>> more fun."

    >> Linux wouldn't exist if not for millions of developers and contributors
    >> with exactly that attitude.

    > Indeed. I once prototyped a cross-platform audio server over the
    > holidays. Although it ended up not being used (it was a work
    > prototype), I learned a lot doing it, and it was fun (and draining).
    >
    > In fact, I used to do some MIDI music and some light gaming, but
    > tinkering with code has kind of taken over.

    Thanks to modern technology, I've managed to merge activities. This past
    summer I went backpacking for two months but took my PDA and a homemade
    solar charger with me. Hiked and enjoyed scenery all day and then after
    dinner I relaxed under the stars with a little "C" while listening to
    the nighttime forest sounds. What a life!

    > If I didn't have soccer, I'd be broader than a barn.

    Yeah, I know. When I was younger I could live on beer and pizza and
    never gain an ounce, but as I got older my metabolism slowed down and
    the excess calories started going to fat instead of energy. For awhile I
    could burn it off with daily exercise, but now I have to watch my
    caloric intake, too. Instead of pizza and beer, my programming sessions
    are now fueled by by celery sticks and water. It just ain't the same.

  6. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    snipe writes:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:26:45 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, snipe belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> "Rubbish" is in the eye of the troll...

    >> Well, you can count on Hadron to twist your words. There's something
    >> wrong with that boy.

    What twisting Liarnut?

    Allow me to quote and prove that once again you do NOT READ THE ARTICLES
    you reply to:

    ,----
    | Linux has me buried in compilers, interpreters,
    | AI languages, neural-network simulators, development tools,
    | networking tools, Internet applications, and the source code for
    | 25,000 applications and my OS, all installable with a simple menu or
    | command. ****, who has time for *games*?
    `----

    > "Boy's as sharp as a bowling ball!"

    So you didn't write that above?

    *snip*

    Jesus, this place is getting worse.

  7. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 08:42:20 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-10-01, Hadron wrote:

    >>> In 4.5 years, Windows Server 2003 has never crashed on me (after I
    >>> installed a graphics card - one game used to crash using onboard
    >>> video).

    >> Listen to Jeb! Apparently all the best games run on Linux! Listen to

    > No... my rant would be something more along the lines of.
    >
    > "PC games? PC games are so 80s. No one plays PC games anymore..."
    >
    >> Halliwell who thinks that new games are "rubbish" and that Jet Set Willy
    >> is more entertaining than Bioshock!
    >>
    >> For people that dont know, here is Bioshock:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/53xtkx
    >>
    >> Nexuiz is excellent. Its like Quake 3 but free. Quake 3 was released
    >> almost 10 years ago.

    > What makes you think we want another Doom rehash?

    Why does the immature troll think everyone *wants* to play games?

    --
    "If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't
    be posting anything right now."
    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  8. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:08:39 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > snipe writes:

    >>> Oh god. Another clueless COLA head talking about things he knows
    >>> nothing about. A modern PC is a MUCH more powerful gaming platform
    >>> than any console. Much higher storage capacity, much more powerful
    >>> video, much higher resolution, much more memory.

    >> I'd like to see you make this 4-year-old laptop outperform a Wii.

    > Before or after I teach you how to read?
    >
    > Lets try again and not consider your old, under specced and cost cutting
    > laptop eh?

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/modern?jss=0

    modern

    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

    mod·ern

    1. of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient or
    remote:
    modern city life.

    2. characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; not
    antiquated or obsolete: modern viewpoints.

    I see nothing there about made in the past week, month, year, or even
    decade or century. If you're speaking of a specific time period then you
    should say so up front instead of using ambiguous words and only
    revealing your own secret meaning after the fact.

  9. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:07:03 -0500, snipe wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:08:39 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> snipe writes:

    >>> I'd like to see you make this 4-year-old laptop outperform a Wii.

    >> Before or after I teach you how to read?
    >>
    >> Lets try again and not consider your old, under specced and cost cutting
    >> laptop eh?

    > http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/modern?jss=0
    >
    > modern
    >
    > Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    >
    > mod·ern
    >
    > 1. of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient or remote:
    > modern city life.
    >
    > 2. characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; not
    > antiquated or obsolete: modern viewpoints.
    >
    > I see nothing there about made in the past week, month, year, or even
    > decade or century. If you're speaking of a specific time period then you
    > should say so up front instead of using ambiguous words and only revealing
    > your own secret meaning after the fact.

    As for Quack teaching anyone "how to read", that's risible. The troll is
    renowned for his reading/comprehension problems, & not just in this group.

    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  10. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:33:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > snipe writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:26:45 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>> After takin' a swig o' grog, snipe belched out
    >>> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Well, you can count on Hadron to twist your words. There's something
    >>> wrong with that boy.

    > What twisting Liarnut?
    >
    > Allow me to quote and prove that once again you do NOT READ THE ARTICLES
    > you reply to:

    I think maybe you're getting confused about who said what.

    > ,----
    > | Linux has me buried in compilers, interpreters, | AI languages,
    > neural-network simulators, development tools, | networking tools,
    > Internet applications, and the source code for | 25,000 applications and
    > my OS, all installable with a simple menu or | command. ****, who has
    > time for *games*? `----
    >

    >> "Boy's as sharp as a bowling ball!"

    > So you didn't write that above?

    No, I did.

    > *snip*
    >
    > Jesus, this place is getting worse.

    One good foghorn-leghorn quote deserved another. :-)

  11. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:16:44 -0500, snipe wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:33:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> snipe writes:

    >> What twisting Liarnut?
    >>
    >> Allow me to quote and prove that once again you do NOT READ THE ARTICLES
    >> you reply to:

    > I think maybe you're getting confused about who said what.
    >

    >> ,----
    >> | Linux has me buried in compilers, interpreters, | AI languages,
    >> neural-network simulators, development tools, | networking tools,
    >> Internet applications, and the source code for | 25,000 applications and
    >> my OS, all installable with a simple menu or | command. ****, who has
    >> time for *games*? `----
    >>

    >>> "Boy's as sharp as a bowling ball!"

    >> So you didn't write that above?

    > No, I did.

    A prime example of Hardon Quack's reading/comprehension problems.

    >> *snip*
    >>
    >> Jesus, this place is getting worse.

    > One good foghorn-leghorn quote deserved another. :-)

    "That Hadron troll, I say that troll is *seriously* f#cked!" ;-)

    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  12. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:01:58 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > We're trying to have fun, not launch Sputnik.

    Still living in the past Jeb.

    Don't let the cat out of the bag, but you're a few decades too late for
    Sputnik.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:33:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > What twisting Liarnut?
    >
    > Allow me to quote and prove that once again you do NOT READ THE ARTICLES
    > you reply to:

    Looks like Roy Schestowitz has taught LiarMutt well.

    Schestowitz doesn't read the articles he posts, so why should LiarMutt read
    the articles he replies to.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  14. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    snipe writes:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:08:39 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> snipe writes:

    >>> I'd like to see you make this 4-year-old laptop outperform a Wii.

    >> Before or after I teach you how to read?
    >>
    >> Lets try again and not consider your old, under specced and cost cutting
    >> laptop eh?

    > http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/modern?jss=0
    >
    > modern

    Would you care to tell us when the Wii came out?
    And even then it was not as powerful as most PC desktops of the same
    time.

    You are now clutching at straws. Are you Jeb?

    Please stop.

    Most modern PCs are more powerful than Consoles end of story.

  15. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, snipe belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:33:28 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >> snipe writes:

    >> What twisting Liarnut?
    >>
    >> Allow me to quote and prove that once again you do NOT READ THE ARTICLES
    >> you reply to:

    > I think maybe you're getting confused about who said what.

    Of course he is. Here's Hadron twisting your "who has time for games"
    into this:

    People who know how to live a balanced life? Seriously what the hell are
    you talking about suggesting that 25,000 apps (most of which are shelved
    rubbish) are a replacement for good entertainment software?

    Hadron Queeg not only obsessively rolls the steel balls around in his
    hand, he also ****s them up!

    That boy could **** up a steel ball with a rubber hammer!

    I also like this from our most famous "advocate":

    25,000 apps (most of which are shelved rubbish)

    I wonder if he counts tuxguitar in that list .

    >> Jesus, this place is getting worse.

    And Hadron's /still/ here. What a coincidence.

    > One good foghorn-leghorn quote deserved another. :-)

    I prefer Roy D. Mercer: "How long's it been since you had a good ol'
    country ass-whuppin'?"

    --
    Don't get even -- get odd!

  16. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 01:59:49 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > snipe writes:

    >>> Before or after I teach you how to read?
    >>>
    >>> Lets try again and not consider your old, under specced and cost
    >>> cutting laptop eh?

    >> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/modern?jss=0
    >>
    >> modern

    > Would you care to tell us when the Wii came out? And even then it was
    > not as powerful as most PC desktops of the same time.

    Late 2007, and quit trying to move the goalposts. The point is about
    kids playing games on the computers they have - usually dad's old
    hand-me-down - or buying a gaming console for the TV.

    > You are now clutching at straws. Are you Jeb?

    Still can't keep your posters straight?

    > Please stop.
    >
    > Most modern PCs are more powerful than Consoles end of story.

    60% of PC sales in the US this year are laptops (notebooks, UMPCs,
    whatever), Due to power limitations most of those have pretty sad
    graphics rendering/acceleration compared to the big power-eating
    fan-cooled graphics monsters in game consoles or high-performance
    desktop machines. Some business laptops don't even have 3D acceleration
    because word processors, spreadsheets, and databases don't need it, and
    unaccelerated 3D is a good way to keep employees from playing games on
    company time or wasting the sysadmin's time with game-related computer
    problems.

    From what I've seen in peoples' homes, the lion's share of the remaining
    40% are stripped-down Walmart-quality desktops.

  17. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    Jim Hendricks writes:

    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 01:59:49 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> snipe writes:

    >>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/modern?jss=0
    >>>
    >>> modern

    >> Would you care to tell us when the Wii came out? And even then it was
    >> not as powerful as most PC desktops of the same time.

    > Late 2007, and quit trying to move the goalposts. The point is about
    > kids playing games on the computers they have - usually dad's old
    > hand-me-down - or buying a gaming console for the TV.

    No that is not the point.

    He was on about the HW being optimized for gaming. I pointed out that
    modern PCs are MUCH more powerful.

    Nothing more. Nothing less.

  18. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Sep 30, 11:29*am, snipe wrote:
    > Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps
    > up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

    It could be a hardware issue. Sometimes my desktop (dual-boot with
    Windows and Xubuntu) has spontaneous reboots and crashes on Xubuntu. I
    have the same OS installed on my laptop, and it doesn't crash on the
    laptop. So I've narrowed the problem down to a hardware issue, which
    in my case is my desktop's power supply. It's running hot. So I figure
    my computer is overheating, and the overheating is causing the
    spontaneous reboots. So I need to get a new power supply. I'll
    probably get a 500W or 550W power supply. Plus, I think I'll modify my
    desktop casing to where I can attack a cooling fan to the side of the
    case for extra cooling.

  19. Re: Linux crashes all the time!

    On Sep 30, 12:57*pm, ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:29:37 -0500, snipe wrote:
    > > Ubuntu just crashed on me for the third time in two years. If this keeps
    > > up, I'm going to ditch this unstable POS and go back to FreeBSD.

    > As I recall, Linux has crashed on me exactly three times in the last five
    > years. And each time it was a hardware problem.

    Same here. In my case, my desktop overheats. Plus, I think my power
    supply needs to be replaced. So in the near future, I'm gonna get a
    new power supply and an extra cooling fan and mofify my desktop case
    (with my Dremel) to where I can attack the cooling fan to the side of
    my desktop casing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2