[News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela - Linux

  1. [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    Classmate PC gets a boost with million-unit Venezuelan order

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Classmate PC units that will be distributed to schools in Venezuela and
    | Portugal will ship preinstalled with a custom flavor of the Linux operating
    | system.

    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...lan-order.html

    Related:

    Venezuela and the Hackers’ Revolution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Third International Forum on Free Knowledge was recently held in
    | Maracaibo, Venezuela, bringing together many people interested in the
    | development of free software worldwide. One reason Venezuela chose to host
    | this event is that, in January 2006, their new free software law came into
    | effect, which mandates that all government agencies migrate to free software
    | over a two-year period. ¬* ¬*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The Venezuelan revolution is perhaps the first revolution in history saved by
    | computer hackers and is one of the reasons the government is so very strong
    | on promoting the use of free software, particularly in public administration.
    | The Venezuelan government wishes never again to have vital infrastructure
    | held hostage or sabotaged by agents of foreign nations. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.dailyradical.org/knowledg...ers_Revolution

    Ecuador migrates to Free Software and Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On April 10, 2008, Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa Delgado signed a decree
    | ordering that the software used by public administrations in the country be
    | free software (and implicitly based on open standards). Fuller story in
    | Spanish... ¬*
    `----

    http://www.digistan.org/forum/t-5290...open-standards

    Venezuela Launches Sale of "Bolivarian" Computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The new computers will run the open-source Linux operating system
    | and will first be used inside the government "missions" and state
    | companies and institutions but eventually are expected to be sold
    | across Venezuela and Latin America.
    `----

    http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=2326

    Ubuntu takes advantage

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, I'm very proud to announce that another Venezuelan institution
    | of the government, take our recommendation and then we deploy more of
    | 700 HP PCs with Ubuntu and 150 IBM Laptops with Kubuntu.
    `----

    http://blog.blanco.net.ve/2007/03/ub...advantage.html

    Venezuela - Stepping Forward With Debian

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the shining examples has been the Venezuelan Patent
    | Office, or Servicio Autonomo de Propiedad Intelectual(SAPI).
    | In a country that does not recognise software patents, nor
    | biological patents, the Debian Linux distribution has been
    | used as the foundation stone for the system that will store
    | information about both Venezuelan and Cuban patents and can
    | store up to 9.5TB of data.
    `----

    http://www.localfoss.org/Venezuelan_FOSS_1

    No rush for open source technology

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Brazil, China, Norway and Venezuela have all recently changed to
    | open source too, but mostly because of cost saving, not espionage.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The truth is you don't really own proprietary software, you just rent
    | it. You can actually buy open source solutions, and they are yours to
    | do with as you wish.
    `----

    http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html
    http://tinyurl.com/26o5t6

    Venezuela and India appeal OOXML ratification

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Jesper Jerlang, the director of standardisation for Dansk Standard, the
    | official Danish national standards body, told ZDNet.co.uk on Monday that
    | Dansk Standard "did not agree" that processes had not been followed in the
    | Danish OOXML voting process.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9427754,00.htm

    Venezuela Joins Line Appealing OOXML Standard Approval

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Venezuela has joined the list of countries that have lodged appeals against
    | the adoption of an international standard based on Microsoft's Office Open
    | XML (OOXML) file format.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | By Monday, though, the IEC had relaxed its interpretation of the directive:
    | Venezuela's appeal, although filed after May 29, "was filed within the two
    | months of the BRM [ballot resolution meeting] closing so that it is being
    | accepted. (The BRM closed on 29 March 2008 so the interpretation is that the
    | last calendar day of May is being applied)," Buck wrote in an e-mail.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Computerworld Denmark reported Friday that Denmark filed an appeal with the
    | ISO, although spokesmen at the IEC and ISO would not confirm that.
    |
    | "I have no confirmation of the Danish report and cannot comment further on
    | that," the IEC's Buck said Monday.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._approval.html

  2. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Classmate PC gets a boost with million-unit Venezuelan order
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The Classmate PC units that will be distributed to schools in Venezuela and
    >| Portugal will ship preinstalled with a custom flavor of the Linux operating
    >| system.
    >
    > `----
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...lan-order.html

    Isn't it amazing... only a few months ago, so many shills were arguing
    that people in poor countries "need shoes not computers" and other such
    rot. It really didn't take long for the view to change, did it?

> [...]
    >| Venezuela has joined the list of countries that have lodged appeals against
    >| the adoption of an international standard based on Microsoft's Office Open
    >| XML (OOXML) file format.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| By Monday, though, the IEC had relaxed its interpretation of the directive:
    >| Venezuela's appeal, although filed after May 29, "was filed within the two
    >| months of the BRM [ballot resolution meeting] closing so that it is being
    >| accepted. (The BRM closed on 29 March 2008 so the interpretation is that the
    >| last calendar day of May is being applied)," Buck wrote in an e-mail.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Computerworld Denmark reported Friday that Denmark filed an appeal with the
    >| ISO, although spokesmen at the IEC and ISO would not confirm that.
    >|
    >| "I have no confirmation of the Danish report and cannot comment further on

  3. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

  4. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    In article <2nu9r5-tc4.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk>,
    Mark Kent wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > >
    > > Classmate PC gets a boost with million-unit Venezuelan order
    > >
    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > >| The Classmate PC units that will be distributed to schools in
    > >| Venezuela and Portugal will ship preinstalled with a custom flavor
    > >| of the Linux operating system.
    > >
    > > `----
    > >
    > > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...s-a-boost-with
    > > -million-unit-venezuelan-order.html
    > >

    > Isn't it amazing... only a few months ago, so many shills were arguing
    > that people in poor countries "need shoes not computers" and other such
    > rot. It really didn't take long for the view to change, did it?

    What's amazing is that only a few months ago, you were saying that the
    Classmate PC was an immoral effort by Intel to crush the OLPC. Now you
    (and Roy, who shared your views on the Classmate) are happy that
    Classmate is driving another million nails in OLPC's coffin?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    "The government of Venezuela has announced *plans* to order"

    Oh, *PLANS*, one more B.S. story. Tell us when a contract is actually
    signed, will you?

  6. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:34:20 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <2nu9r5-tc4.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk>,
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> Classmate PC gets a boost with million-unit Venezuelan order
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...s-a-boost-with
    >>> -million-unit-venezuelan-order.html
    >>>

    >> Isn't it amazing... only a few months ago, so many shills were arguing
    >> that people in poor countries "need shoes not computers" and other such
    >> rot. It really didn't take long for the view to change, did it?

    > What's amazing is that only a few months ago, you were saying that the
    > Classmate PC was an immoral effort by Intel to crush the OLPC. Now you
    > (and Roy, who shared your views on the Classmate) are happy that
    > Classmate is driving another million nails in OLPC's coffin?

    Never trust a COLA Linux advocate.
    They lie according to the current situation.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:35:13 +0200, OK wrote:

    > "The government of Venezuela has announced *plans* to order"
    >
    > Oh, *PLANS*, one more B.S. story. Tell us when a contract is actually
    > signed, will you?

    Yea....

    And the city of Muncih Germany plans to migrate a couple of thousand
    Windows machines to Linux...

    What was that?

    Like 5 years ago?

    Still hasn't happened.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    On 2008-09-30, OK wrote:
    > "The government of Venezuela has announced *plans* to order"
    >
    > Oh, *PLANS*, one more B.S. story. Tell us when a contract is actually
    > signed, will you?

    http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news/827

    Venezuela's Ministry of Education and Sport saved more than two million
    dollars within the last year by implementing open source software in
    their datacenter at the Ministry Office of Informatics, which handles
    payroll, network management, forms, and web services, among others.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  9. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    Tim Smith writes:

    > In article <2nu9r5-tc4.ln1@ellandroad.demon.co.uk>,
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> >
    >> > Classmate PC gets a boost with million-unit Venezuelan order
    >> >
    >> > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> >
    >> > `----
    >> >
    >> > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...s-a-boost-with
    >> > -million-unit-venezuelan-order.html
    >> >

    >> Isn't it amazing... only a few months ago, so many shills were arguing
    >> that people in poor countries "need shoes not computers" and other such
    >> rot. It really didn't take long for the view to change, did it?

    > What's amazing is that only a few months ago, you were saying that the
    > Classmate PC was an immoral effort by Intel to crush the OLPC. Now you
    > (and Roy, who shared your views on the Classmate) are happy that
    > Classmate is driving another million nails in OLPC's coffin?

    Stop it Tim. Every time you post you support it with facts and make the
    gang look stupid. Its not fair on them.

    --
    "Yes, I am a nymshifting troll. I used to be called Rafael, but since the operation I prefer to be called Robin T Cox."
    High Plains Shifter, COLA.

  10. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 30 September 2008 15:54 : \____
    >
    >>> Classmate PC gets a boost with million-unit Venezuelan order
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>
    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...lan-order.html
    >>>

    >> Isn't it amazing... only a few months ago, so many shills were arguing
    >> that people in poor countries "need shoes not computers" and other such
    >> rot. ¬*It really didn't take long for the view to change, did it?

    > Well, IDC insisted that Linux 'fans' should be excited about 13% market share
    > (server). A month later comes out Steve Ballmer saying that "Linux" [sic] has
    > 60% in servers. His he refuting the very same shillnalysts whom he paid so
    > much to lie in public?

    The failures at the LSE cannot have done MS any good, although I'm still
    more than a little amazed that the LSE even considered using Windows in
    such a critical environment.

    One has to wonder where the 60% figure came from, though? Is Microsoft
    about to start another round of negotiation with a legal/governmental
    entity somewhere? Is one of the oversight deals up for re-negotiation?

    At that point, usually, we see Microsoft claiming to be the little fish
    with some nasty big competitor busily cleaning up...

  11. Re: [News] One Million GNU/Linux Laptops Come to Venezuela

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 01 October 2008 12:15 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 30 September 2008 15:54 : \____

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...lan-order.html

    >>> Isn't it amazing... only a few months ago, so many shills were arguing
    >>> that people in poor countries "need shoes not computers" and other such
    >>> rot. ¬*It really didn't take long for the view to change, did it?

    >> Well, IDC insisted that Linux 'fans' should be excited about 13% market
    >> share (server). A month later comes out Steve Ballmer saying that "Linux"
    >> [sic] has 60% in servers. His he refuting the very same shillnalysts whom he
    >> paid so much to lie in public?
    >>

    > The failures at the LSE cannot have done MS any good, although I'm still
    > more than a little amazed that the LSE even considered using Windows in
    > such a critical environment.
    >
    > One has to wonder where the 60% figure came from, though? Is Microsoft
    > about to start another round of negotiation with a legal/governmental
    > entity somewhere? Is one of the oversight deals up for re-negotiation?
    >
    > At that point, usually, we see Microsoft claiming to be the little fish
    > with some nasty big competitor busily cleaning up...

    It tries this against Yahoo/Google [1] and VMware [2] (examples from
    yesterday).

    Don't forget that Microsoft harvests a lot of data from people's desktops
    ('phoning home' is mandatory) and it also has access to analysts whom the
    chiefs pay handsomely to measure the wrong things in the wrong way. Even
    Gartner says -- albeit separately -- that Linux is on about 1 in 20 desktops.
    And that doesn't even include dual-boots, I think...

    ___
    [1]
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20 'Microsoft's "opportunity
    to democratize virtualization."'

    [2]
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-100...=2547-1_3-0-20 'Early
    on, she takes issue with a statistic thrown around by Microsoft that the deal
    gives Google 90 percent share of the search-ad market, a statistic that
    derives from combining the two companies' individual share. "That's just plain
    wrong," she said. "It's important to note that the agreement is non-exclusive
    and gives us the option to 'backfill' with Google ads if and when we see fit.
    The reason we structured the deal this way--rather than a more typical
    exclusive deal with revenue commitments to us and traffic commitments to
    Google--was precisely to avoid the issues the critics are raising."'

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Life is too short to proofread"
    Tasks: 193 total, 2 running, 181 sleeping, 0 stopped, 10 zombie

+ Reply to Thread