Still awaiting explanation : Linux is best selling laptop. - Linux

This is a discussion on Still awaiting explanation : Linux is best selling laptop. - Linux ; Richard Rasker wrote: > Hadron wrote: > >> >> Richard Rasker posted something about Linux being the best selling >> laptop. It is selling more Linux Laptops than Windows ones according to >> Richard. Since, more than once, he has ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Still awaiting explanation : Linux is best selling laptop. -- SOLVED

    http://www.amazon.com/computer-pc-ha...GZ9X1CTQX8J00S

    http://www.amazon.com/Notebooks-Lapt...pf_rd_i=541966

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...9B1HKJG0TFTZYT

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12203655...%3A5-30&page=1
    > with the "Sort by" query explicitly set to "Bestselling", and lo and
    > behold, I appear to be right! And no doubt, you'll cleverly counter this
    > once again by name-calling, insults, and other tried and tested Wintroll
    > debating techniques.
    >
    > But because the clear discrepancy between different pages presenting
    > rankings of the exact same product line is quite odd indeed, I did the
    > sensible thing: I simply asked Amazon themselves. And I just got a reply,
    > although unfortunately it doesn't answer the question as to which ranking
    > is the right one:
    >
    > "Thank you for writing to Amazon.com with your concern.
    >
    > Thanks for alerting this information to us. The related search results
    > on our web site are based on a variety of automated criteria, including
    > the typical search queries.
    >
    > I’ve forwarded this information to the appropriate department about the
    > bestselling feature and rest assured that this problem will be fixed
    > soon.
    >
    > Customer feedback like yours really helps us continue to improve our
    > store and provide better service to our customers. Thanks for taking
    > time to offer us your thoughts.
    >
    > I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We designed
    > our search engine to perform broad searches in this manner because we
    > wanted to make sure you wouldn't miss finding items that you might want.
    >
    > We appreciate the time you took to send us your feedback and hope to see
    > you again soon at Amazon.com.
    >
    > [snip best regards etcetera]"
    >
    > So I guess we'll have to wait a little longer. And of course I'll post any
    > subsequent answers if and when received here, favourable for Linux or not.
    >
    > In the meantime, while the actual question remains unresolved, feel free
    > to shout "liar!" to your heart's content. No doubt it will hugely increase
    > your popularity with all the other Wintrolls out there.

    Well, the conundrum is solved -- upon close inspection of both rankings it
    turns out that the ranking I used was the "In stock" list, while the one
    Hadron pointed to is the overall list.
    So obnoxious and needlessly abusive as he may be, he actually chose the
    correct list (without knowing exactly why my choice was wrong, though).

    I adjusted my spreadsheet accordingly, which, of course, results in a rather
    different outcome; still not bad for Linux with between 20 and 25% of
    sales -- but nowhere near outselling Windows. Yet.
    Yes, I know it's a bit of a bummer, but even Wintrolls can sometimes be
    right.

    An interesting new question emerges though, and that is of course why
    Linux /is/ outselling Windows when it comes to the "in stock" items, while
    it's nowhere near as popular in the overall ratings.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: Still awaiting explanation : Linux is best selling laptop.

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Hadron -- a worthless poster with no integrity.

    HaDRONE - a useless jellyfish with no friends.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Artificial intelligence is better than none.

    Good to the last supper

  3. Re: Still awaiting explanation : Linux is best selling laptop. -- SOLVED

    On 2008-09-30, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > An interesting new question emerges though, and that is of course why
    > Linux /is/ outselling Windows when it comes to the "in stock" items, while
    > it's nowhere near as popular in the overall ratings.

    I don't think it is an interesting question. The bestselling items are
    more than likely to be out of stock.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: Still awaiting explanation : Linux is best selling laptop.

    So anyway, it was like, 18:05 CEST Sep 30 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Hadron was all like, "Dude,
    > Johan Lindquist writes:
    >> So anyway, it was like, 16:11 CEST Sep 30 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Hadron was all like, "Dude,

    [..]

    >>> Do TRY and see how my sequence was almost certainly more accurate
    >>> in terms of "best selling" that your cherry picking.

    >> Sorry, I'm not one for being led by the nose.

    > Ans yet you are. You too have found a manipulate way to make Linux
    > out to be best selling when, in fact, it is not.

    Clicking links on a web site is not manipulating anything, they're
    there to help you select the system you, as a potential customer,
    prefer. I happen to prefer having goods shipped right away, and out
    of those items, available from amazon.com, Linux is apparently more
    popular than windows. What's the big deal with that, anyway?

    You're just annoyed that there actually was a legitimate way to get
    to the list in question when you, for some reason, thought it was all
    made up. Your expressed "hopes" that it was not, notwithstanding.

    Kudos on foregoing the usual insults, btw.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    09:00:35 up 29 days, 11:03, 1 user, load average: 1.09, 1.67, 1.45

  5. Re: Still awaiting explanation : Linux is best selling laptop.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Arrogantly superior? Well, if providing proof is "arrogantly superior"
    > then so be it. And I *did* provide proof. You on the other hand cherry
    > picked your links to suit your shill's agenda.

    *splorf*

    --
    You are fighting for survival in your own sweet and gentle way.

  6. Re: Still awaiting explanation : Linux is best selling laptop. --SOLVED

    Richard Rasker espoused:
> [...]

    > Well, the conundrum is solved -- upon close inspection of both rankings it
    > turns out that the ranking I used was the "In stock" list, while the one
    > Hadron pointed to is the overall list.
    > So obnoxious and needlessly abusive as he may be, he actually chose the
    > correct list (without knowing exactly why my choice was wrong, though).
    >
    > I adjusted my spreadsheet accordingly, which, of course, results in a rather
    > different outcome; still not bad for Linux with between 20 and 25% of
    > sales -- but nowhere near outselling Windows. Yet.
    > Yes, I know it's a bit of a bummer, but even Wintrolls can sometimes be
    > right.
    >
    > An interesting new question emerges though, and that is of course why
    > Linux /is/ outselling Windows when it comes to the "in stock" items, while
    > it's nowhere near as popular in the overall ratings.

    As I've mentioned before, OSX and Linux have been at the top of that
    list several times, in fact, before Microsoft decided to "rescue" XP,
    Windows didn't even make it into the top 10 on one occasion, which I
    posted here.

    Keep checking, the list is live, and it will keep changing. Don't
    forget to count the N810s and so on as Linux, because that's what they
    are...

    Ballmer's claim of Linux on 60% of servers is an interesting one, do you
    have any idea where he got that number from?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2