Brian Cryer, ye spur-galled measle, heaven truly knows that thou art as
false as hell, ye agonised:

> wrote in message
>> Why is it that different programs take different lengths of time? When I
>> used to
>> use the default Windows XP defragger, I'd have to run it overnight it
>> took so
>> long (120Gb drive in 2 partitions). Then I bought Perfect Disk. It still
>> took an
>> hour or two. Now I use a free program called Auslogics Disk Defrag. I
>> can
>> actually launch it and sit there and watch it do the job, taking a few
>> minutes
>> on all but my C drive, which maybe takes 7 or 8 minutes. I'm assuming
>> it's doing
>> a good job despite the short length of time it takes. What's up? Thanks.

> Different defrag programs take different lengths of time because:
> * They do different things - for example, defrag a file or defrag it and
> optimise the positioning of the file.
> * Use different algorithms

Doing "different things" is the same as using "different algorithms".

> - controlling both the order in which they do things and the sequencing of
> files (if they shuffle files around).
> * Written by different teams, so some will be better coded than others.

BWAHAHAHAHA! All Windows defragers use the Windows Defragmentation API. How
many different ways are there to tell the OS the "MOVE THIS FILE TO THAT
PLACE"? Hmmm?

> If Auslogics Disk Defrag only takes a few minutes but others take
> significantly longer then its possible that its skipping files.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Of course, the fact that the Auslogics's UI uses smoke
and mirrors to entrance the user has nothing to do with perception, right?

> If you do a "defrag -a c:" (to get a rather cruide indication of
> fragmentation) then does this change before and after the defrag?

What are you going to tell him if he says yes?

> Have you tried jkdefrag?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH! A Gawd-awful piece of trash if ever there was one.