Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!! - Linux

This is a discussion on Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!! - Linux ; The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of homebrew games, one is a pure Gaming console, with hundreds of emulators written for, the other is a console/UMPC Check the data here: http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/...

  1. Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of homebrew
    games, one is a pure Gaming console, with hundreds of emulators
    written for, the other is a console/UMPC

    Check the data here:
    http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/

  2. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    rajtakhar writes:

    > The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of homebrew
    > games, one is a pure Gaming console, with hundreds of emulators
    > written for, the other is a console/UMPC
    >
    > Check the data here:

    http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/

    This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried to load it
    into a new browser. When I opened it in a new tab I saw the embedded
    videos and clicking them caused firefox to vanish/crash again.

    But back to the article : firstly the Ubuntu is, as you say, terribly
    unoptimised and fairly useless on a device this size.

    Secondly why are you so certain something running Quake 2 is so cool?
    Quake 2 is more than ten years old.

    --
    "Maybe he knows where the body is because he saw where
    it was put." -- "Rick" defending Hans Reiser (his hero) in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  3. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:30:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > rajtakhar writes:
    >
    >> The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of homebrew
    >> games, one is a pure Gaming console, with hundreds of emulators
    >> written for, the other is a console/UMPC
    >>
    >> Check the data here:
    >>

    > http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
    >
    > This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried to load it
    > into a new browser. When I opened it in a new tab I saw the embedded
    > videos and clicking them caused firefox to vanish/crash again.

    Same problem here.
    Crashed when I clicked on his profile.
    It doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
    Weird.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:30:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> rajtakhar writes:
    >>
    >>> The GP2X Wiz and Pandora units will open up the face of homebrew
    >>> games, one is a pure Gaming console, with hundreds of emulators
    >>> written for, the other is a console/UMPC
    >>>
    >>> Check the data here:
    >>>

    >> http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
    >>
    >> This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried to load it
    >> into a new browser. When I opened it in a new tab I saw the embedded
    >> videos and clicking them caused firefox to vanish/crash again.

    > Same problem here.
    > Crashed when I clicked on his profile.
    > It doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
    > Weird.

    Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you should stop
    pressing the reset button....

    --

    ************************************************** ***************************

    From the desk of:
    Jerome D. McBride

    20:23:05 up 2 days, 40 min, 5 users, load average: 0.33, 0.13, 0.04

    ************************************************** ***************************

  5. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    Jerry McBride writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
    >>>
    >>> This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried to load it
    >>> into a new browser. When I opened it in a new tab I saw the embedded
    >>> videos and clicking them caused firefox to vanish/crash again.

    >> Same problem here.
    >> Crashed when I clicked on his profile.
    >> It doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
    >> Weird.
    >>

    > Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you should stop
    > pressing the reset button....

    Following a reboot it works fine now. Machine had been up for a long
    time. Maybe something had got tired.

    Actually its a smart little device. But I wish they waited and ot these
    things really working before bigging them up. its got openMoko written
    all over it. The problem? The brains see the "problem as solved" as
    wander off leaving a half finished buggy mess.

    Only time will tell.

    --
    "I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  6. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 03:14:04 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Jerry McBride writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Same problem here.
    >>> Crashed when I clicked on his profile.
    >>> It doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
    >>> Weird.
    >>>

    >> Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you should stop
    >> pressing the reset button....

    > Following a reboot it works fine now. Machine had been up for a long
    > time. Maybe something had got tired.

    Not here:

    from a terminal window

    moshe@linuxdaw:~$ firefox
    Segmentation fault
    moshe@linuxdaw:~$ uname -a
    Linux linuxdaw 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 22:56:21 UTC 2008 i686
    GNU/Linux

    It seems that the page loads weird.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  7. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
    >>>
    >>> This link crashed my firefox on Debian. Every time I tried
    >>> to load it into a new browser. When I opened it in a new
    >>> tab I saw the embedded videos and clicking them caused
    >>> firefox to vanish/crash again.

    >> Same problem here. Crashed when I clicked on his profile. It
    >> doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
    >> Weird.

    > Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you
    > should stop pressing the reset button....

    Using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, Firefox 3.0.3... Yes, FireFox task goes
    down. Reported in Bugzilla as Bug 458003.

    Hadron claims to actively report bugs and criticise me for
    failing to. Did not see see this reported by him or any other.

    --
    HPT

  8. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 02:36:31 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Jerry McBride wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Same problem here. Crashed when I clicked on his profile. It
    >>> doesn't happen all the time though, sometimes it works fine.
    >>> Weird.

    >> Works perfect here... Gentoo, firefox 3.0.2... Maybe you
    >> should stop pressing the reset button....

    > Using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, Firefox 3.0.3... Yes, FireFox task goes
    > down. Reported in Bugzilla as Bug 458003.
    >
    > Hadron claims to actively report bugs and criticise me for
    > failing to. Did not see see this reported by him or any other.

    Does it happen every time or only intermittantly?
    Do you notice that the page loads weird?
    IOW it kind of fills in what was previously displaying on FF.

    I've never seen anything like it to be honest.
    Pages either work or don't work so it might be some kind of a timing issue.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  9. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, Firefox 3.0.3... Yes, FireFox task
    >> goes down. Reported in Bugzilla as Bug 458003.
    >>
    >> Hadron claims to actively report bugs and criticise me for
    >> failing to. Did not see see this reported by him or any
    >> other.

    > Does it happen every time or only intermittantly?

    Something at the end of the document, a link to another site is
    causing the crash. If it is holding, times out, then stays up.
    If call succeeds, it goes down.

    > Do you notice that the page loads weird? IOW it kind of fills
    > in what was previously displaying on FF.

    No, otherwise seems to load fine.

    Now this is another wierd one. Click on the person's picture to
    see profile, if right click and select "Load in a separate
    window", profile comes up fine. If tab opening is enable, it
    goes down if it did not previously.

    What is wierd is I have been using FF for past several years
    without any problems. It has been more stable than Internet
    Explorer and loads pages faster.

    Hopefully the bug report will assist them to sort things out.

    > I've never seen anything like it to be honest. Pages either
    > work or don't work so it might be some kind of a timing issue.

    Page has HTML errors within it, some of them are interesting but
    would be better for others to see for themselves:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht....blog.co.uk%2F

    Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    Result: 29 Errors
    Address: http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
    Encoding: iso-8859-1
    Doctype: XHTML 1.0 Transitional
    Root Element: html
    Root Namespace: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
    [ ] Show Source
    [ ] Show Outline
    [X] List Messages Sequentially
    [ ] Group Error Messages by Type
    [ ] Validate error pages
    [ ] Verbose Output
    [ ] Clean up Markup with HTML Tidy

    Validation Output: 29 Errors
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  10. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:46:53 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Something at the end of the document, a link to another site is
    > causing the crash. If it is holding, times out, then stays up.
    > If call succeeds, it goes down.

    > Now this is another wierd one. Click on the person's picture to
    > see profile, if right click and select "Load in a separate
    > window", profile comes up fine. If tab opening is enable, it
    > goes down if it did not previously.

    Same thing here.
    Firefox 3.03.

    > What is wierd is I have been using FF for past several years
    > without any problems. It has been more stable than Internet
    > Explorer and loads pages faster.

    That is my experience as well.
    I also like Opera.

    > Hopefully the bug report will assist them to sort things out.
    >
    >> I've never seen anything like it to be honest. Pages either
    >> work or don't work so it might be some kind of a timing issue.

    > Page has HTML errors within it, some of them are interesting but
    > would be better for others to see for themselves:
    >
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht....blog.co.uk%2F
    >

    > Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    > Result: 29 Errors
    > Address: http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
    > Encoding: iso-8859-1
    > Doctype: XHTML 1.0 Transitional
    > Root Element: html
    > Root Namespace: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
    > [ ] Show Source
    > [ ] Show Outline
    > [X] List Messages Sequentially
    > [ ] Group Error Messages by Type
    > [ ] Validate error pages
    > [ ] Verbose Output
    > [ ] Clean up Markup with HTML Tidy
    >
    > Validation Output: 29 Errors

    Great detective work HPT!
    I thought that page was funky because the first time it bombed but then it
    worked and then bombed again later.

    Good catch!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  11. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:46:53 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >

    >> Something at the end of the document, a link to another site is
    >> causing the crash. If it is holding, times out, then stays up.
    >> If call succeeds, it goes down.

    >> Now this is another wierd one. Click on the person's picture to
    >> see profile, if right click and select "Load in a separate
    >> window", profile comes up fine. If tab opening is enable, it
    >> goes down if it did not previously.

    > Same thing here.
    > Firefox 3.03.
    >
    >> What is wierd is I have been using FF for past several years
    >> without any problems. It has been more stable than Internet
    >> Explorer and loads pages faster.

    > That is my experience as well.
    > I also like Opera.
    >
    >> Hopefully the bug report will assist them to sort things out.
    >>
    >>> I've never seen anything like it to be honest. Pages either
    >>> work or don't work so it might be some kind of a timing issue.

    >> Page has HTML errors within it, some of them are interesting but
    >> would be better for others to see for themselves:
    >>
    >> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht....blog.co.uk%2F
    >>

    >> Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    >> Result: 29 Errors
    >> Address: http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
    >> Encoding: iso-8859-1
    >> Doctype: XHTML 1.0 Transitional
    >> Root Element: html
    >> Root Namespace: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
    >> [ ] Show Source
    >> [ ] Show Outline
    >> [X] List Messages Sequentially
    >> [ ] Group Error Messages by Type
    >> [ ] Validate error pages
    >> [ ] Verbose Output
    >> [ ] Clean up Markup with HTML Tidy
    >>
    >> Validation Output: 29 Errors
    >>

    > Great detective work HPT!
    > I thought that page was funky because the first time it bombed but then it
    > worked and then bombed again later.
    >
    > Good catch!

    Yup. Good to see something positive done. And meanwhile the loons
    claimed I was lying. Works for them!

    LOL.

    --
    "It's perhaps inevitable that some professionals would paint their status
    as being somehow superior to those of the amateurs, after all, they're

  12. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 03:27:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:46:53 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>

    >>> Something at the end of the document, a link to another site is
    >>> causing the crash. If it is holding, times out, then stays up.
    >>> If call succeeds, it goes down.

    >>> Now this is another wierd one. Click on the person's picture to
    >>> see profile, if right click and select "Load in a separate
    >>> window", profile comes up fine. If tab opening is enable, it
    >>> goes down if it did not previously.

    >> Same thing here.
    >> Firefox 3.03.
    >>
    >>> What is wierd is I have been using FF for past several years
    >>> without any problems. It has been more stable than Internet
    >>> Explorer and loads pages faster.

    >> That is my experience as well.
    >> I also like Opera.
    >>
    >>> Hopefully the bug report will assist them to sort things out.

    >>> Page has HTML errors within it, some of them are interesting but
    >>> would be better for others to see for themselves:
    >>>
    >>> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht....blog.co.uk%2F
    >>>

    >>> Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    >>> Result: 29 Errors
    >>> Address: http://gp2xwiznpandora.blog.co.uk/
    >>> Encoding: iso-8859-1
    >>> Doctype: XHTML 1.0 Transitional
    >>> Root Element: html
    >>> Root Namespace: http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
    >>> [ ] Show Source
    >>> [ ] Show Outline
    >>> [X] List Messages Sequentially
    >>> [ ] Group Error Messages by Type
    >>> [ ] Validate error pages
    >>> [ ] Verbose Output
    >>> [ ] Clean up Markup with HTML Tidy
    >>>
    >>> Validation Output: 29 Errors
    >>>

    >> Great detective work HPT!
    >> I thought that page was funky because the first time it bombed but then it
    >> worked and then bombed again later.
    >>
    >> Good catch!

    > Yup. Good to see something positive done. And meanwhile the loons
    > claimed I was lying. Works for them!
    >
    > LOL.

    Yea....
    The idea is to get the page or firefox working and claiming it works when
    it doesn't is not helping anyone.

    So now we have HPT doing some good Linux advocacy and Marti doing some
    pretty good music.

    What's next??

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 03:27:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Same thing here.
    >>> Firefox 3.03.

    >>> That is my experience as well.
    >>> I also like Opera.

    >>> Great detective work HPT!
    >>> I thought that page was funky because the first time it bombed but then it
    >>> worked and then bombed again later.
    >>>
    >>> Good catch!

    >> Yup. Good to see something positive done. And meanwhile the loons
    >> claimed I was lying. Works for them!
    >>
    >> LOL.

    > Yea....
    > The idea is to get the page or firefox working and claiming it works when
    > it doesn't is not helping anyone.
    >
    > So now we have HPT doing some good Linux advocacy and Marti doing some
    > pretty good music.
    >
    > What's next??

    Phil Da Tard will use Linux at work? Mark Kent will quit BT and
    advocating IP for his work? Roy will, err, get a job?

    --
    "**** you, you lying bitch. "
    -- Rick in alt.true-crime, comp.os.linux.advocacy

  14. Re: Great New Linux Community Designed UMPC/Console!!

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 04:03:43 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> Yup. Good to see something positive done. And meanwhile the loons
    >>> claimed I was lying. Works for them!
    >>>
    >>> LOL.

    >> Yea....
    >> The idea is to get the page or firefox working and claiming it works when
    >> it doesn't is not helping anyone.
    >>
    >> So now we have HPT doing some good Linux advocacy and Marti doing some
    >> pretty good music.
    >>
    >> What's next??

    > Phil Da Tard will use Linux at work? Mark Kent will quit BT and
    > advocating IP for his work? Roy will, err, get a job?

    I heard through the grapevine that Roy was less than thrilling down in
    Brazil.

    IOW a complete bore....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb