wrote in message
news:297b5e75-603b-4284-a6cf-70d59f008915@z11g2000prl.googlegroups.com...

> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...to_google.html
>
> His two areas of weakness apparently do not include search, where
> Microsoft has been dropping lower and lower into the single digit
> range lately.

You miss the quintessential notion, perhaps because you are too dismissive
of marketing precepts. What Ballmer said that matters is:

""We need to do some work to fundamentally reinvent the search business
model," Ballmer said during a dinner at the Churchill Club in Silicon
Valley. "You don't brute-force your way into a market. You only make great
strides when you redefine the category for the user.""

The Linus folk should study this for its true meaning and perhaps they would
begin to see why they have been losers for so long.