Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system.... - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system.... - Linux ; So I've been getting into Ardour and one thing I need for optimum latency is the RT kernel. No sweat, or so I naivily believe. I find it in Synaptic, download and install it and reboot. Bang... I'm sitting at ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    So I've been getting into Ardour and one thing I need for optimum latency
    is the RT kernel.
    No sweat, or so I naivily believe.

    I find it in Synaptic, download and install it and reboot.

    Bang...
    I'm sitting at the command line with Nvidia driver error messages.

    My system uses the Nvidia propriatary driver so I can use dual monitors and
    take advantage of the speed.

    Fortunately the RT kernel was added to grub as an entry and my stock
    generic kernel is still there so I can boot that one fine.

    After all these years they still can't make this work correctly?

    So now what?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 21:33:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >[ installs a new kernel and his NVidia X drivers stop working ]
    > So now what?

    You gotta re-install the NVidia drivers...they need to get recompiled
    with your new kernel headers. If you go to the NVidia site, you can
    download a .run file that you can execute from the command line that'll
    do it for you. Like, one of these:

    Duke

  3. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    Duke Robillard wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 21:33:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >>[ installs a new kernel and his NVidia X drivers stop working ]
    >> So now what?

    > You gotta re-install the NVidia drivers...they need to get recompiled
    > with your new kernel headers. If you go to the NVidia site, you can
    > download a .run file that you can execute from the command line that'll
    > do it for you. Like, one of these:
    >

    > Duke

    Alternatively, use Envy.

    http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

  4. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > After all these years they still can't make this work correctly?

    Who? NVidia? I know, shocking isn't it?
    Can't blame linux for this. It's nvidia that're incapable here.

    Now what? Either use the nv module or lose the RT.

  5. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    Robin T Cox writes:

    > Duke Robillard wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 21:33:26 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>>[ installs a new kernel and his NVidia X drivers stop working ]
    >>> So now what?

    >> You gotta re-install the NVidia drivers...they need to get recompiled
    >> with your new kernel headers. If you go to the NVidia site, you can
    >> download a .run file that you can execute from the command line that'll
    >> do it for you. Like, one of these:
    >>

    >> Duke

    > Alternatively, use Envy.
    >
    > http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    I believe there are some issues still in Ubuntu with both
    ways. Certainly Ubuntu being derived from Debian is likely to suffer the
    same problems Debian users have had in the future if you use either way.

    Without googling, IF you can use the NVidia-glx package then do it that
    way. It's much safer. Sure you might be a little bit (few days) behind
    the curve of the NVidia drivers but they will work much more reliably.

    The words above are totally correct for Debian and *might* be relevant
    for Ubuntu - I'm just throwing a warning out there.

    Using peoples scripts has backfired on me before and a Ubuntu system got
    hosed through using Automatix which somehow corrupted the underlying
    dbus system which no amount of twiddling with ever fixed. Envy is, I
    must admit, a great tool and was certainly a help over a year ago when
    everyone in COLA got their video drivers working "out of the box" and
    the rest of the Debian/Ubuntu world had no HW acceleration or GUI
    desktop ..... :-;

    --
    "BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!"

  6. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:13:07 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Robin T Cox writes:
    >
    >> Duke Robillard wrote:

    >>> You gotta re-install the NVidia drivers...they need to get recompiled
    >>> with your new kernel headers. If you go to the NVidia site, you can
    >>> download a .run file that you can execute from the command line that'll
    >>> do it for you. Like, one of these:
    >>>

    >>> Duke

    >> Alternatively, use Envy.
    >>
    >> http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    > I believe there are some issues still in Ubuntu with both
    > ways. Certainly Ubuntu being derived from Debian is likely to suffer the
    > same problems Debian users have had in the future if you use either way.
    >
    > Without googling, IF you can use the NVidia-glx package then do it that
    > way. It's much safer. Sure you might be a little bit (few days) behind
    > the curve of the NVidia drivers but they will work much more reliably.
    >
    > The words above are totally correct for Debian and *might* be relevant
    > for Ubuntu - I'm just throwing a warning out there.
    >
    > Using peoples scripts has backfired on me before and a Ubuntu system got
    > hosed through using Automatix which somehow corrupted the underlying
    > dbus system which no amount of twiddling with ever fixed. Envy is, I
    > must admit, a great tool and was certainly a help over a year ago when
    > everyone in COLA got their video drivers working "out of the box" and
    > the rest of the Debian/Ubuntu world had no HW acceleration or GUI
    > desktop ..... :-;

    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I googled it (the search engine on the Ubuntu Forums was not helping, or my
    search argument was poor) and as it turns out, it's a known problem.
    There are about 10 different ways around it, but the results may end up
    aborting my system which is running fine on the generic kernel.

    One thing I don't understand is how xorg.conf integrates into Ubuntu.
    Here's why.

    1. I have a perfectly fine system, running dual monitors, Nvidia etc with
    the generic kernel.
    2. I install the RT kernel using Synaptic.
    3. I reboot and get dumped to the cli.
    4. So now I edit xorg.conf (backed up of course) and comment out the glx
    line and change nvidia to nv.
    5 Boot the RT kernel and I am in my same system only using the nv driver
    and no dual monitors.

    ****Here is the part I don't get****

    6. I reboot back to my stock kernel and now Nvidia proprietary driver is
    running and my dual monitors work.

    So what happed to the xorg.conf that I removed the nvidia driver line from?
    Shouldn't the system use the edited xorg.conf for all kernels?

    I take a look and nvidia is back in the xorg.conf file?

    I don't get it....

    Do different kernels use different xorg.conf files?

    My major concern here is borking my generic kernel running system by
    re-installing the nvidia package under the RT kernel.
    TIA

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  7. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:13:07 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Robin T Cox writes:

    >>> Alternatively, use Envy.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    >> I believe there are some issues still in Ubuntu with both
    >> ways. Certainly Ubuntu being derived from Debian is likely to suffer the
    >> same problems Debian users have had in the future if you use either way.
    >>
    >> Without googling, IF you can use the NVidia-glx package then do it that
    >> way. It's much safer. Sure you might be a little bit (few days) behind
    >> the curve of the NVidia drivers but they will work much more reliably.
    >>
    >> The words above are totally correct for Debian and *might* be relevant
    >> for Ubuntu - I'm just throwing a warning out there.
    >>
    >> Using peoples scripts has backfired on me before and a Ubuntu system got
    >> hosed through using Automatix which somehow corrupted the underlying
    >> dbus system which no amount of twiddling with ever fixed. Envy is, I
    >> must admit, a great tool and was certainly a help over a year ago when
    >> everyone in COLA got their video drivers working "out of the box" and
    >> the rest of the Debian/Ubuntu world had no HW acceleration or GUI
    >> desktop ..... :-;

    > Thanks for the advice guys.
    > I googled it (the search engine on the Ubuntu Forums was not helping, or my
    > search argument was poor) and as it turns out, it's a known problem.
    > There are about 10 different ways around it, but the results may end up
    > aborting my system which is running fine on the generic kernel.
    >
    > One thing I don't understand is how xorg.conf integrates into Ubuntu.
    > Here's why.
    >
    > 1. I have a perfectly fine system, running dual monitors, Nvidia etc with
    > the generic kernel.
    > 2. I install the RT kernel using Synaptic.
    > 3. I reboot and get dumped to the cli.

    As to b expected. The design is hosed. You MUST recompile the drivers to
    work with the new kernel version.

    > 4. So now I edit xorg.conf (backed up of course) and comment out the glx
    > line and change nvidia to nv.

    you mean "nvidia" to "nv" surely?

    > 5 Boot the RT kernel and I am in my same system only using the nv driver
    > and no dual monitors.

    fine. Why nv though? Why not vesa? I dont think the nv drivers ever
    worked for me come to think of it.

    > ****Here is the part I don't get****
    >
    > 6. I reboot back to my stock kernel and now Nvidia proprietary driver is
    > running and my dual monitors work.
    >
    > So what happed to the xorg.conf that I removed the nvidia driver line from?
    > Shouldn't the system use the edited xorg.conf for all kernels?

    Yes. It should afaik.

    > I take a look and nvidia is back in the xorg.conf file?
    >
    > I don't get it....
    >
    > Do different kernels use different xorg.conf files?

    No. Someone?!?!?!?

    > My major concern here is borking my generic kernel running system by
    > re-installing the nvidia package under the RT kernel.
    > TIA

    Maybe ubuntu has changed another standard and its init scripts move the
    xorg.conf around depending on kernel version. Nothing would surprise me
    anymore as the different distros to get one over on the others.

    --
    "If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
    *less* than Win 98 by a factor of two."

  8. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:41:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> I believe there are some issues still in Ubuntu with both
    >>> ways. Certainly Ubuntu being derived from Debian is likely to suffer the
    >>> same problems Debian users have had in the future if you use either way.
    >>>
    >>> Without googling, IF you can use the NVidia-glx package then do it that
    >>> way. It's much safer. Sure you might be a little bit (few days) behind
    >>> the curve of the NVidia drivers but they will work much more reliably.
    >>>
    >>> The words above are totally correct for Debian and *might* be relevant
    >>> for Ubuntu - I'm just throwing a warning out there.
    >>>
    >>> Using peoples scripts has backfired on me before and a Ubuntu system got
    >>> hosed through using Automatix which somehow corrupted the underlying
    >>> dbus system which no amount of twiddling with ever fixed. Envy is, I
    >>> must admit, a great tool and was certainly a help over a year ago when
    >>> everyone in COLA got their video drivers working "out of the box" and
    >>> the rest of the Debian/Ubuntu world had no HW acceleration or GUI
    >>> desktop ..... :-;

    >> Thanks for the advice guys.
    >> I googled it (the search engine on the Ubuntu Forums was not helping, or my
    >> search argument was poor) and as it turns out, it's a known problem.
    >> There are about 10 different ways around it, but the results may end up
    >> aborting my system which is running fine on the generic kernel.
    >>
    >> One thing I don't understand is how xorg.conf integrates into Ubuntu.
    >> Here's why.
    >>
    >> 1. I have a perfectly fine system, running dual monitors, Nvidia etc with
    >> the generic kernel.
    >> 2. I install the RT kernel using Synaptic.
    >> 3. I reboot and get dumped to the cli.

    > As to b expected. The design is hosed. You MUST recompile the drivers to
    > work with the new kernel version.

    It would be nice if they told someone that when selecting the kernel in
    synaptic.
    What happened to "all i do is apt-get" and it *works*?
    I hear that one all the time here in COLA.

    >> 4. So now I edit xorg.conf (backed up of course) and comment out the glx
    >> line and change nvidia to nv.

    > you mean "nvidia" to "nv" surely?

    Yea

    >> 5 Boot the RT kernel and I am in my same system only using the nv driver
    >> and no dual monitors.

    > fine. Why nv though? Why not vesa? I dont think the nv drivers ever
    > worked for me come to think of it.

    nv was installed by default on my Ubuntu system so I just went back to it.
    I've never had any problems with it although sometimes my FX5500 card was a
    little finicky.
    That's gone now in favor of a 6200.

    >> ****Here is the part I don't get****
    >>
    >> 6. I reboot back to my stock kernel and now Nvidia proprietary driver is
    >> running and my dual monitors work.
    >>
    >> So what happed to the xorg.conf that I removed the nvidia driver line from?
    >> Shouldn't the system use the edited xorg.conf for all kernels?

    > Yes. It should afaik.

    It doesn't

    >> I take a look and nvidia is back in the xorg.conf file?
    >>
    >> I don't get it....
    >>
    >> Do different kernels use different xorg.conf files?

    > No. Someone?!?!?!?

    >> My major concern here is borking my generic kernel running system by
    >> re-installing the nvidia package under the RT kernel.
    >> TIA

    > Maybe ubuntu has changed another standard and its init scripts move the
    > xorg.conf around depending on kernel version. Nothing would surprise me
    > anymore as the different distros to get one over on the others.

    I'm finding some weird stuff with the way Ubuntu does things.

    I'm wondering if that "fallback to X" thingie that Ubuntu does to save
    people from borked xorg.conf files is what is undoing the changes?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  9. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On 2008-09-28, Hadron wrote:
    > Robin T Cox writes:
    >
    >> Duke Robillard wrote:

    >>> You gotta re-install the NVidia drivers...they need to get recompiled
    >>> with your new kernel headers. If you go to the NVidia site, you can
    >>> download a .run file that you can execute from the command line that'll
    >>> do it for you. Like, one of these:
    >>>

    >>> Duke

    >> Alternatively, use Envy.
    >>
    >> http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

    > I believe there are some issues still in Ubuntu with both

    Nope. Since you are a flaggelant, you aren't really in
    any position to say anything about Ubuntu...

    [deletia]
    > hosed through using Automatix which somehow corrupted the underlying

    Yup. That would be the same Automatix that many people
    would warn you away from. It's pretty easy to avoid that
    trap: simply avoid using 3rd party hacks that have a bad
    reputation. In the age of Google, that's easy enough to
    sort out.

    --
    If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
    it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing |||

  10. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On 2008-09-28, Hadron wrote:
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> I believe there are some issues still in Ubuntu with both
    >>> ways. Certainly Ubuntu being derived from Debian is likely to suffer the
    >>> same problems Debian users have had in the future if you use either way.
    >>>
    >>> Without googling, IF you can use the NVidia-glx package then do it that
    >>> way. It's much safer. Sure you might be a little bit (few days) behind
    >>> the curve of the NVidia drivers but they will work much more reliably.
    >>>
    >>> The words above are totally correct for Debian and *might* be relevant
    >>> for Ubuntu - I'm just throwing a warning out there.
    >>>
    >>> Using peoples scripts has backfired on me before and a Ubuntu system got
    >>> hosed through using Automatix which somehow corrupted the underlying
    >>> dbus system which no amount of twiddling with ever fixed. Envy is, I
    >>> must admit, a great tool and was certainly a help over a year ago when
    >>> everyone in COLA got their video drivers working "out of the box" and
    >>> the rest of the Debian/Ubuntu world had no HW acceleration or GUI
    >>> desktop ..... :-;

    >> Thanks for the advice guys.
    >> I googled it (the search engine on the Ubuntu Forums was not helping, or my
    >> search argument was poor) and as it turns out, it's a known problem.
    >> There are about 10 different ways around it, but the results may end up
    >> aborting my system which is running fine on the generic kernel.
    >>
    >> One thing I don't understand is how xorg.conf integrates into Ubuntu.
    >> Here's why.
    >>
    >> 1. I have a perfectly fine system, running dual monitors, Nvidia etc with
    >> the generic kernel.
    >> 2. I install the RT kernel using Synaptic.
    >> 3. I reboot and get dumped to the cli.

    > As to b expected. The design is hosed. You MUST recompile the drivers to
    > work with the new kernel version.

    Not quite.

    The driver installer does this for you. That's not a minor detail.

    [deletia]

    --
    If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
    it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing |||
    MacOS X on a DELL! / | \

  11. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:40:00 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-28, Hadron wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the advice guys.
    >>> I googled it (the search engine on the Ubuntu Forums was not helping,
    >>> or my search argument was poor) and as it turns out, it's a known
    >>> problem. There are about 10 different ways around it, but the results
    >>> may end up aborting my system which is running fine on the generic
    >>> kernel.
    >>>
    >>> One thing I don't understand is how xorg.conf integrates into Ubuntu.
    >>> Here's why.
    >>>
    >>> 1. I have a perfectly fine system, running dual monitors, Nvidia etc
    >>> with the generic kernel.
    >>> 2. I install the RT kernel using Synaptic. 3. I reboot and get dumped
    >>> to the cli.

    >> As to b expected. The design is hosed. You MUST recompile the drivers to
    >> work with the new kernel version.

    > Not quite.
    >
    > The driver installer does this for you. That's not a minor detail.

    Yup, very easy to do.
    All i did with Ubuntu 8.04 was:-

    System >Administration > Hardware Drivers Device Driver, & tick the box.
    It downloaded the drivers & installed them for me.

    Even with new kernels, it hasn't killed the system that the OP is
    dribbling about.

    --
    "If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't
    be posting anything right now."
    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  12. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:39:53 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:40:00 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> As to b expected. The design is hosed. You MUST recompile the drivers to
    >>> work with the new kernel version.

    >> Not quite.
    >>
    >> The driver installer does this for you. That's not a minor detail.
    >>

    > Yup, very easy to do.
    > All i did with Ubuntu 8.04 was:-
    >
    > System >Administration > Hardware Drivers Device Driver, & tick the box.
    > It downloaded the drivers & installed them for me.
    >
    > Even with new kernels, it hasn't killed the system that the OP is
    > dribbling about.

    You're an idiot.....
    I won't even bother to explain why, but read the post again.
    Hint: The drivers are already installed......Duhhhhhhh.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:39:53 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:40:00 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> As to b expected. The design is hosed. You MUST recompile the drivers to
    >>> work with the new kernel version.

    >> Not quite.
    >>
    >> The driver installer does this for you. That's not a minor detail.
    >>

    > Yup, very easy to do.
    > All i did with Ubuntu 8.04 was:-
    >
    > System >Administration > Hardware Drivers Device Driver, & tick the box.
    > It downloaded the drivers & installed them for me.
    >
    > Even with new kernels, it hasn't killed the system that the OP is
    > dribbling about.

    Oh yea....and just to prove you are using the old "Linux works for me", IOW
    LIEing for LIEnix, here are a couple of links for you to look at...

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ealtime+kernel

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ealtime+kernel

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...nvidia-650172/

    That's the beauty of debating an idiot like you Willy Poaster.

    You shoot yourself in the foot every single time....

    I was waiting for you, gun loaded and ****ed.........

    And sure enough, you appeared just a like an old syphilitic sore that
    needs a does of antibiotics.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  14. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:39:53 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    >>> Not quite.
    >>>
    >>> The driver installer does this for you. That's not a minor detail.
    >>>

    >> Yup, very easy to do.
    >> All i did with Ubuntu 8.04 was:-
    >>
    >> System >Administration > Hardware Drivers Device Driver, & tick the box.
    >> It downloaded the drivers & installed them for me.
    >>
    >> Even with new kernels, it hasn't killed the system that the OP is
    >> dribbling about.

    > You're an idiot.....
    > I won't even bother to explain why, but read the post again.
    > Hint: The drivers are already installed......Duhhhhhhh.....

    Yup. He really is an idiot.

    Also the driver installer DOES NOT do it for you in Debian. The nvidia
    installer does. But that might shag your system as I have explained
    multiple times. The nvidia-glx diver does not.

    Here is the wiki:

    http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

    Pay particular attention to the different procedures for different
    releases.

    There is also a different way advertised in the dpkg bot not described
    in the wiki. How accurate that is I dont know.

    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-2.6-`uname -r | sed 's,.*-,,g'`
    nvidia-settings nvidia-glx && dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (if you're
    on amd64, also install nvidia-glx-ia32). Using sarge? Ask me about
    . Homegrown or kernel from testing/sid:
    . If you're using a Geforce2 or older:
    .

    So, all the Debian docs say one thing and Willy "Barney Suit" Filters
    says something else. Who to believe I wonder?

    --
    "Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu can
    address."

  15. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 02:22:24 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> Yup, very easy to do.
    >>> All i did with Ubuntu 8.04 was:-
    >>>
    >>> System >Administration > Hardware Drivers Device Driver, & tick the box.
    >>> It downloaded the drivers & installed them for me.
    >>>
    >>> Even with new kernels, it hasn't killed the system that the OP is
    >>> dribbling about.

    >> You're an idiot.....
    >> I won't even bother to explain why, but read the post again.
    >> Hint: The drivers are already installed......Duhhhhhhh.....

    > Yup. He really is an idiot.
    >
    > Also the driver installer DOES NOT do it for you in Debian. The nvidia
    > installer does. But that might shag your system as I have explained
    > multiple times. The nvidia-glx diver does not.
    >
    > Here is the wiki:
    >
    > http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
    >
    > Pay particular attention to the different procedures for different
    > releases.
    >
    > There is also a different way advertised in the dpkg bot not described
    > in the wiki. How accurate that is I dont know.
    >
    > apt-get install nvidia-kernel-2.6-`uname -r | sed 's,.*-,,g'`
    > nvidia-settings nvidia-glx && dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (if you're
    > on amd64, also install nvidia-glx-ia32). Using sarge? Ask me about
    > . Homegrown or kernel from testing/sid:
    > . If you're using a Geforce2 or older:
    > .
    >
    > So, all the Debian docs say one thing and Willy "Barney Suit" Filters
    > says something else. Who to believe I wonder?

    Yea....
    There are 50 different ways to make this work and some have the potential
    of absolutely rendering the entire system useless.

    I'm sticking with the stock kernel.

    See my other reply to Poaster.

    Poaster is totally clue less and I've caught him in yet another set of
    lies.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  16. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    William Poaster schreef:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:40:00 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> As to b expected. The design is hosed. You MUST recompile the drivers to
    >>> work with the new kernel version.

    >> Not quite.
    >>
    >> The driver installer does this for you. That's not a minor detail.
    >>

    > Yup, very easy to do.
    > All i did with Ubuntu 8.04 was:-
    >
    > System >Administration > Hardware Drivers Device Driver, & tick the box.
    > It downloaded the drivers & installed them for me.
    >
    > Even with new kernels, it hasn't killed the system that the OP is
    > dribbling about.

    Exactly the Hardware Drivers applet was introduced in Gutsy (7.10). Yet
    Quack is calling us liars again.

    He's correct that it doesn't work that way in Debian, but in Ubuntu *it
    simply works out of the box* exactly the way William Poaster described.
    Period!

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  17. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:39:18 +0200, ml2mst wrote:

    > William Poaster schreef:

    >>> Not quite.
    >>>
    >>> The driver installer does this for you. That's not a minor detail.
    >>>

    >> Yup, very easy to do.
    >> All i did with Ubuntu 8.04 was:-
    >>
    >> System >Administration > Hardware Drivers Device Driver, & tick the
    >> box. It downloaded the drivers & installed them for me.
    >>
    >> Even with new kernels, it hasn't killed the system that the OP is
    >> dribbling about.

    > Exactly the Hardware Drivers applet was introduced in Gutsy (7.10). Yet
    > Quack is calling us liars again.

    Quack the M$ Shill's favorite word is "Liar". Seems to be the only word
    the "Linux advocate" knows.

    > He's correct that it doesn't work that way in Debian, but in Ubuntu *it
    > simply works out of the box* exactly the way William Poaster described.
    > Period!

    Actually I have both the 64-bit *&* 32-bit versions of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
    installed on two of my machines.

    I checked them, & they show the kernel was updated from
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic to Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel
    2.6.24-19-generic.
    And "Yes" they are both running nVIDIA cards.
    The 64-bit is running a GeForce 8500GT card, & the 32-bit a GeForce 5200FX
    card.

    And "NO" I did NOT have to recompile the drivers to work with the new
    kernel version on *either* machine. They're also running Compiz & Emerald
    as the desktop.

    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  18. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    William Poaster schreef:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:39:18 +0200, ml2mst wrote:
    >
    >> William Poaster schreef:

    >>> Yup, very easy to do.
    >>> All i did with Ubuntu 8.04 was:-
    >>>
    >>> System >Administration > Hardware Drivers Device Driver, & tick the
    >>> box. It downloaded the drivers & installed them for me.
    >>>
    >>> Even with new kernels, it hasn't killed the system that the OP is
    >>> dribbling about.

    >> Exactly the Hardware Drivers applet was introduced in Gutsy (7.10). Yet
    >> Quack is calling us liars again.

    > Quack the M$ Shill's favorite word is "Liar". Seems to be the only word
    > the "Linux advocate" knows.
    >
    >> He's correct that it doesn't work that way in Debian, but in Ubuntu *it
    >> simply works out of the box* exactly the way William Poaster described.
    >> Period!

    > Actually I have both the 64-bit *&* 32-bit versions of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
    > installed on two of my machines.
    >
    > I checked them, & they show the kernel was updated from
    > Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic to Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel
    > 2.6.24-19-generic.
    > And "Yes" they are both running nVIDIA cards.
    > The 64-bit is running a GeForce 8500GT card, & the 32-bit a GeForce 5200FX
    > card.
    >
    > And "NO" I did NOT have to recompile the drivers to work with the new
    > kernel version on *either* machine. They're also running Compiz & Emerald
    > as the desktop.

    Yup, same up here. Yet I wasn't aware of the fact that Flatfish was the
    OP. That'll explain it all.

    Yet another non existent Flatfish MadeUp Linux Problem(tm).

    What a waste of bandwidth and time.

    --
    |_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
    |_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com
    |0|0|0| http://osgeex.blogspot.com

  19. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:05:03 +0200, ml2mst wrote:

    > William Poaster schreef:

    >>> Exactly the Hardware Drivers applet was introduced in Gutsy (7.10). Yet
    >>> Quack is calling us liars again.

    >> Quack the M$ Shill's favorite word is "Liar". Seems to be the only word
    >> the "Linux advocate" knows.
    >>
    >>> He's correct that it doesn't work that way in Debian, but in Ubuntu *it
    >>> simply works out of the box* exactly the way William Poaster described.
    >>> Period!

    >> Actually I have both the 64-bit *&* 32-bit versions of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
    >> installed on two of my machines.
    >>
    >> I checked them, & they show the kernel was updated from Ubuntu 8.04.1,
    >> kernel 2.6.24-16-generic to Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic.
    >> And "Yes" they are both running nVIDIA cards. The 64-bit is running a
    >> GeForce 8500GT card, & the 32-bit a GeForce 5200FX card.
    >>
    >> And "NO" I did NOT have to recompile the drivers to work with the new
    >> kernel version on *either* machine. They're also running Compiz &
    >> Emerald as the desktop.

    > Yup, same up here. Yet I wasn't aware of the fact that Flatfish was the
    > OP. That'll explain it all.
    >
    > Yet another non existent Flatfish MadeUp Linux Problem(tm).

    Backed up by the "true Linux advocate" Hardon Quack/Queeg, who was wrong
    yet *again*. It must suck to be a troll like him.

    > What a waste of bandwidth and time.

    Indeed.

    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  20. Re: Ubuntu..Update the Kernel==>Kill the system....

    Andrew Halliwell schreef:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> After all these years they still can't make this work correctly?

    > Who? NVidia? I know, shocking isn't it?
    > Can't blame linux for this. It's nvidia that're incapable here.
    >
    > Now what? Either use the nv module or lose the RT.

    I agree with you, I'm not happy with the proprietary blob driver ether
    and nobody else but Nvidia is to blame.

    Ether way Flatfish is pulling this out of one of his body holes. I'm
    running Ubuntu on two machines. One with an ancient Geoforce 2 and the
    other with a Geoforce 7000M GPU.

    As William Poaster and me wrote several times, the previous problems
    with Nvidia drivers have been addressed in Ubuntu 7.10:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...0Hardy%20Heron

    Flatty is describing a problem that has been solved for over a year.