"I have a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 8000 which I was hoping would increase
performance if I replaced WinXP with Linux. I want to use this laptop for
multimedia in my living room, by connecting it to the TV and Hifi system.

I am new to Linux and started trying out Ubuntu since it seem to be a
popular distro. Well, it freezes during startup or shortly after. I then
tried Kubuntu, switching from GNOME to KDE.... and the same thing happens.

Then I tried Linux Mint, a distro I think is based on Ubuntu, and it worked
the whole weekend. But on monday (of course), the same thing happens, the
computer hangs every time I try to start it up.

I am so close to reinstalling WinXP... please help"

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...istros-663578/

Linux: crappy as it ever was