Looking for MTA - Linux

This is a discussion on Looking for MTA - Linux ; I'm looking for an MTA. My distro didn't install anything by default, now I'm trying to figure out which best serves my requirements. The requirements: I want to be able to configure it in the following way: * It should ...

  1. Looking for MTA

    I'm looking for an MTA. My distro didn't install anything by default,
    now I'm trying to figure out which best serves my requirements.
    The requirements:

    I want to be able to configure it in the following way:
    * It should retrieve/send my mail every six hours.
    * I should be able to want to also force retrieval/sending at
    anytime.
    * The method it should use for sending email: any outgoing
    email is stored in a folder. When the MTA is started ( to send
    email ) the folder is checked. If email is found, then it is
    sent.

    I have multiple email accounts on multiple email accounts, on multiple
    servers. The MTA should put some kind of header in each mail it
    receives describing which server the mail came from. Most of the
    servers use POP3 with authentication, though a few use SMTP.

    All the accounts use SMTP to send mail, I would like the MTA to
    read an email message in my outgoing folder and use a header
    to determine which email server to use.

    Finally it would be nice if there was a Gui that could configure it.
    The idea would be something like swat is, where I use swat until
    I get used to the sytax of an smb.conf, then just directly edit it. (
    Actually I still use it the first time I use a new computer to create
    a basic smb.conf file, then configure by hand. ). This isn't a deal
    breaker. The simpler the configuration process the better.

    Thank you

  2. Re: Looking for MTA

    BubbaT wrote:

    > I'm looking for an MTA. My distro didn't install anything by default,
    > now I'm trying to figure out which best serves my requirements.
    > The requirements:
    >
    > I want to be able to configure it in the following way:
    > * It should retrieve/send my mail every six hours.
    > * I should be able to want to also force retrieval/sending at
    > anytime.
    > * The method it should use for sending email: any outgoing
    > email is stored in a folder. When the MTA is started ( to send
    > email ) the folder is checked. If email is found, then it is
    > sent.
    >
    > I have multiple email accounts on multiple email accounts, on multiple
    > servers. The MTA should put some kind of header in each mail it
    > receives describing which server the mail came from. Most of the
    > servers use POP3 with authentication, though a few use SMTP.
    >
    > All the accounts use SMTP to send mail, I would like the MTA to
    > read an email message in my outgoing folder and use a header
    > to determine which email server to use.
    >
    > Finally it would be nice if there was a Gui that could configure it.
    > The idea would be something like swat is, where I use swat until
    > I get used to the sytax of an smb.conf, then just directly edit it. (
    > Actually I still use it the first time I use a new computer to create
    > a basic smb.conf file, then configure by hand. ). This isn't a deal
    > breaker. The simpler the configuration process the better.
    >
    > Thank you

    "BubbaT "

    There's all sorts of ways to do what you want, but I can't figure out
    just why the hell you want to send so much mail.

    You want me to believe that you are against spam, but you seem to
    be a source of it.

    Before you get any help from me, you'll need to explain why you send
    so much mail and prove that your explanation is not just something
    you made up.

    Sid

    --
    My newsfilter kills all threads and subthreads
    originating with a post from googlegroups.

  3. Re: Looking for MTA

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:37:09 -0500, BubbaT wrote:

    > I'm looking for an MTA. My distro didn't install anything by default,
    > now I'm trying to figure out which best serves my requirements.

    You might want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    You may get more specific answers to your questions. Some answers can
    depend on distribution/version installed.

    > The requirements:

    Very weird and complex requirements. I can not see an off the shelf
    MTA that would meet your requirements as stated.

    > I want to be able to configure it in the following way:
    > 01: It should retrieve/send my mail every six hours.

    Weird. As stated, looks like a cron job to manage that requirement.

    > 02: I should be able to want to also force retrieval/sending at
    > anytime.

    Yup, MTA has to be on 24/7 so cron job will be the tool managing your
    01: requirement about retrieving mail.

    > 03: The method it should use for sending email:
    > 03.1 any outgoing email is stored in a folder.

    Most MTA'S will have a method to hold outbound email until it can send it.

    > 03.2 When the MTA is started ( to send email ) the folder is checked.
    > If email is found, then it is sent.

    Should be standard operation of any MTA

    > I have multiple email accounts on multiple email accounts,

    I wonder if that is just a mistake. If not would need explanation.

    > on multiple servers.

    Going to guess you will need a cron job there unless your other
    servers have been configured to automagically forward mail to your MTA.

    > The MTA should put some kind of header in each mail it
    > receives describing which server the mail came from.

    Hmmm, MTA's always have a header for tracing, Could you mean email body?

    > Most of the
    > servers use POP3 with authentication, though a few use SMTP.

    Again, fetching email can be done with a cron job. MTA will not be
    doing the job as you have defined it.

    > All the accounts use SMTP to send mail, I would like the MTA to
    > read an email message in my outgoing folder and use a header
    > to determine which email server to use.

    As I misunderstand that correctly, you will need a different linux account
    for each different email server. I do the same thing for my hotmail,
    yahoo,.... accounts.

    > Finally it would be nice if there was a Gui that could configure it.

    Sounds like a job for, wait, ta da, it's Webmin.
    Of course, your requirements make any GUI MTA configuration tool non-existent.

    > The idea would be something like swat is, where I use swat until
    > I get used to the sytax of an smb.conf, then just directly edit it. (
    > Actually I still use it the first time I use a new computer to create
    > a basic smb.conf file, then configure by hand. ). This isn't a deal
    > breaker.

    Whoops, sorry, there seems to be a requirement switch to something
    other that a MTA requirement.

    I no longer can figure out what in the world you are _really_ trying to do.

    > The simpler the configuration process the better.

    Yes, I like the KISS method whenever possible.

    I am going to recommend postfix an a linux MTA and Webmin as a gui
    interface.

    Of course the gui interface is going to hide any comments found
    in each of the postfix config files.

    Therefore you will need to spend lots to time a
    http://www.postfix.org in the Document and FAQ sections.

    The other requirements will be script writing for your cron jobs. Suggest
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    I use fetchyahoo and getlive to pull my yahoo and hotmail messages.

  4. Re: Looking for MTA

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:37:09 -0500, BubbaT wrote:
    >> I'm looking for an MTA. My distro didn't install anything by default,
    >> now I'm trying to figure out which best serves my requirements.

    > You might want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > You may get more specific answers to your questions. Some answers can
    > depend on distribution/version installed.
    >
    >> The requirements:

    > Very weird and complex requirements. I can not see an off the shelf
    > MTA that would meet your requirements as stated.

    sendmail will.

    >> I want to be able to configure it in the following way:
    >> 01: It should retrieve/send my mail every six hours.

    > Weird. As stated, looks like a cron job to manage that requirement.

    MTAS don't fetch mail.
    However fetchmail will feed an MTA so run that under crom, if its pop
    mail you are fetching.

    >> 02: I should be able to want to also force retrieval/sending at
    >> anytime.

    > Yup, MTA has to be on 24/7 so cron job will be the tool managing your
    > 01: requirement about retrieving mail.

    If you don't run sendmail as a background daemon, you can invoke it in
    queue mode only, and run a queue flush under cron.

    >> 03: The method it should use for sending email:
    >> 03.1 any outgoing email is stored in a folder.

    > Most MTA'S will have a method to hold outbound email until it can send it.
    >
    >> 03.2 When the MTA is started ( to send email ) the folder is checked.
    >> If email is found, then it is sent.

    > Should be standard operation of any MTA

    yup.
    >> I have multiple email accounts on multiple email accounts,

    > I wonder if that is just a mistake. If not would need explanation.

    I think he means he has more than one mail identity per ISP, and more
    than one ISP.

    >> on multiple servers.

    > Going to guess you will need a cron job there unless your other
    > servers have been configured to automagically forward mail to your MTA.

    I suspect hes running pop boxes all over the place.

    >> The MTA should put some kind of header in each mail it
    >> receives describing which server the mail came from.

    > Hmmm, MTA's always have a header for tracing, Could you mean email body?

    Indeed.

    >> Most of the
    >> servers use POP3 with authentication, though a few use SMTP.

    > Again, fetching email can be done with a cron job. MTA will not be
    > doing the job as you have defined it.

    SMTP is not what a server does. Its what an MTA does. Some confusion here.

    >> All the accounts use SMTP to send mail, I would like the MTA to
    >> read an email message in my outgoing folder and use a header
    >> to determine which email server to use.

    > As I misunderstand that correctly, you will need a different linux account
    > for each different email server. I do the same thing for my hotmail,
    > yahoo,.... accounts.

    Nah. Not necessary.

    You can frig sendmail to do all this, but its complex..look at the from:
    address and then forward according to that. Probably have to rewrite a
    bit of it though.

    >> Finally it would be nice if there was a Gui that could configure it.

    > Sounds like a job for, wait, ta da, it's Webmin.
    > Of course, your requirements make any GUI MTA configuration tool non-existent.

    Omygawd.

    I think what he really wants is microsoft exchange :-)

    It shouldnt NEED configuring once its set up..

    >> The idea would be something like swat is, where I use swat until
    >> I get used to the sytax of an smb.conf, then just directly edit it. (
    >> Actually I still use it the first time I use a new computer to create
    >> a basic smb.conf file, then configure by hand. ). This isn't a deal
    >> breaker.

    > Whoops, sorry, there seems to be a requirement switch to something
    > other that a MTA requirement.
    >
    > I no longer can figure out what in the world you are _really_ trying to do.

    Indeeed.
    >> The simpler the configuration process the better.

    > Yes, I like the KISS method whenever possible.
    >
    > I am going to recommend postfix an a linux MTA and Webmin as a gui
    > interface.
    >
    > Of course the gui interface is going to hide any comments found
    > in each of the postfix config files.
    >
    > Therefore you will need to spend lots to time a
    > http://www.postfix.org in the Document and FAQ sections.
    >
    > The other requirements will be script writing for your cron jobs. Suggest
    > http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
    >
    > I use fetchyahoo and getlive to pull my yahoo and hotmail messages.

  5. Re: Looking for MTA

    BubbaT writes:

    > I have multiple email accounts on multiple email accounts, on multiple
    > servers. The MTA should put some kind of header in each mail it
    > receives describing which server the mail came from. Most of the
    > servers use POP3 with authentication, though a few use SMTP.

    So how do you plan to retrieve the e-mail? POP3, IMAP?
    This is not what a MTA does, as I understand it.

    An MTA uses SMTP to send mail/receive to another computer.

  6. Re: Looking for MTA

    The Natural Philosopher writes:

    >> Very weird and complex requirements. I can not see an off the shelf
    >> MTA that would meet your requirements as stated.
    >>

    > sendmail will.

    How will it retrieve mail from a gmail account?

  7. Re: Looking for MTA

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:29:38 -0700, Sidney Lambe
    wrote:

    Normally I leave the potential flamewars/trolls till last, but when I
    googled your name I decided to reply first to warn others off, plus it
    won't take long. Since you are a certified troll I thought it might
    save some flaming.

    Folks, this guy is a noted troll:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...c4be00f99a26f6

    A little googling will reveal him to be a the same guy,
    I suggest you do the same thing that I did, put him in your moron
    file.

    Now I get back to the other replies.
    BubbaT

  8. Re: Looking for MTA

    BubbaT wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:29:38 -0700, Sidney Lambe
    > wrote:
    >
    > Normally I leave the potential flamewars/trolls till last, but when I
    > googled your name I decided to reply first to warn others off, plus it
    > won't take long. Since you are a certified troll I thought it might
    > save some flaming.
    >
    > Folks, this guy is a noted troll:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...c4be00f99a26f6
    >
    > A little googling will reveal him to be a the same guy,
    > I suggest you do the same thing that I did, put him in your moron
    > file.
    >
    > Now I get back to the other replies.
    > BubbaT

    Now I know you are a complete fraud. You must be one of the
    assholes that make alt.atheism the cesspool it is. "Trolls"
    are the always the first to call other people "trolls" in my
    experience. They just aren't very bright.

    I'll bet I have already killfiled a dozen of the names you
    hide behind. But let's add another one, just to keep the
    **** in my downloads to a minimum.

    BubbaT
    I do believe I have just stuck it to a would-be spammer.

    Sid

    --
    My newsfilter kills all threads and subthreads
    originating with a post from googlegroups.
    See: http://tinyurl.com/4v394u

  9. {OT] BubbaT (was: Re: Looking for MTA)

    Revisited.

    BubbaT wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 11:29:38 -0700, Sidney Lambe
    > wrote:
    >
    > Normally I leave the potential flamewars/trolls till last, but when I
    > googled your name I decided to reply first to warn others off, plus it
    > won't take long. Since you are a certified troll I thought it might
    > save some flaming.
    >
    > Folks, this guy is a noted troll:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...c4be00f99a26f6
    >
    > A little googling will reveal him to be a the same guy,
    > I suggest you do the same thing that I did, put him in your moron
    > file.
    >
    > Now I get back to the other replies.
    > BubbaT

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2008&safe=off

    So I'm a "troll" and you apparently have only 4 post on the usenet although you
    are obviously very, very comfortable on the usenet and are using forte agent, a
    "pro" newsreader?

    Why did you create a new name just for this thread? What are you hiding?

    And you want us to believe you are against spammers: BubbaT
    "" . Yet you want an elaborate mail
    system that will send mail for you every 6 hours from many
    different mail accounts on different servers.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....8ae86659d83858

    And then you claim that you only send one mail every two or three days:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....f530c80363bb61

    I think that we know who the "troll" is here. And I think we know that
    you are a "troll" who wants to take the next natural evolutionary step
    in the life of an internet scumbag: Spammer.

    I wouldn't advise it, "BubbaT". They put spammers in jail these days
    and you obviously aren't very bright.

    Sid

    --
    My newsfilter kills all threads and subthreads
    originating with a post from googlegroups.
    See: http://tinyurl.com/4v394u

  10. Re: Looking for MTA

    On 2008-09-27, Maxwell Lol wrote:

    > So how do you plan to retrieve the e-mail? POP3, IMAP?
    > This is not what a MTA does, as I understand it.
    >
    > An MTA uses SMTP to send mail/receive to another computer.

    There is a nice page on the MuttWiki which describes the alphabet soup
    of the Mail Concept beautifully:

    http://wiki.mutt.org/?MailConcept

    It is a great demonstration of the choice available to Linux users and
    an excellent demonstration of how these acronyms can be melded together
    in some software.

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

  11. Re: Looking for MTA

    I have to admit I am the not that familiar with email nomenclature.
    From what some people have said ( in particular Maxwell ) that an MTA
    is a program that transfers mail from a mail server to another mail
    server.

    My understanding of an MTA is a program that transfers mail from a
    server or MUA to a mail server or an MDA ( which may actually be built
    into the MTA ) for delivery locally. ( Meaning the MDA. )

    The program I am looking for should either transfer mail from a mail
    accounts to a -- call it a "mail repository" and take some mail stored
    for sending and transfer it to a mail server. To me this seems to fit
    into the category of MTA as I understood it to be.

    In any case to clarify what I want to do is this: I have a lot of
    what I want to call "junk mail" but that phrase is used instead
    I'll call it old mail that needs sorting and processing: furthermore;
    I don't want the new email I get to be stored the internal database
    of some email client, instead I want my email in a directory stored in
    some standard format. I then want to use procmail to sort and organise
    it. In the end i want to use an MUA to browse it. Of course I skipped
    the part about sending email, but I see that as not being as complex,
    the one difficulty being getting the "program I am looking for" to
    send it to the server I want via the account I want.

    Hope that clarifies things a bit.

  12. Re: Looking for MTA

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:28:24 GMT, Bit Twister
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:37:09 -0500, BubbaT wrote:
    >>

    >> The requirements:

    >Very weird and complex requirements. I can not see an off the shelf
    >MTA that would meet your requirements as stated.

    Strange I actually thought that most of the requirements were ones
    that most MTAs would satisfy, I'm just not sure which combinations any
    MTA can satisfy.

    To clarify my situation, I am a person who had five computers. I've
    just bought a new computers and am relegating four of my computers to
    the basement. The fifth will become a router/firewall. Inherent in
    that is a lot fo transfering of files,backing up, etc. along with
    reorganising everything, including my mail.

    >Some answers can depend on distribution/version installed.

    Since the machine I am running on is a dual boot linux/XP, I plan on
    running this in a VM. The idea being I can store the mail in an NTFS
    partition that is accessed from the VM via samba. I can then run the
    VM from either linux or XP.

    >Yup, MTA has to be on 24/7 so cron job will be the tool managing your

    I figured most would, but I can forsee where someone writes an MTA
    that might run as a daemon, and can only send/retrieve at the fixed
    times.

    >> I have multiple email accounts on multiple email accounts,

    Well I have several gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc. accounts. They just
    pile up over the years.

    >> The MTA should put some kind of header in each mail it
    >> receives describing which server the mail came from.

    >Hmmm, MTA's always have a header for tracing, Could you mean email body?

    No. But after the MTA is done I expect procmail or an equivalent to
    organise ( reorganise ) the mail. I can forsee procmail needing to
    know which server it came from to properly sort it.

    >> Most of the
    >> servers use POP3 with authentication, though a few use SMTP.

    >Again, fetching email can be done with a cron job. MTA will not be
    >doing the job as you have defined it.

    I'm confused. I thought the cron job you reffer to would by necessity
    call an MTA.

    Actually looking through the other email messages and googling a bit I
    see that I may be confused by what an MTA actually is. I'm going to
    stop this post now to compose another about this.

    >As I misunderstand that correctly, you will need a different linux account
    >for each different email server. I do the same thing for my hotmail,
    >yahoo,.... accounts.

    Exactly

    >> Finally it would be nice if there was a Gui that could configure it.

    >Whoops, sorry, there seems to be a requirement switch to something
    >other that a MTA requirement.
    >
    >I no longer can figure out what in the world you are _really_ trying to do.

    Sorry if I confused you, I meant to discuss my philosphy of
    configuration. As Natural Philospher has demonstrated many Linux fans
    think negatively of using a GUI to configure anything. For the most
    part I tend to agree, I have never seen a GUI configuration manager
    which can handle the day to day work as intricately as confoguration
    files/commandline configuartion managers. There always seems to be
    something missing from the GUI. OTOH, for people who are new to the
    system they are configuring, or for people who are configuring a newly
    installed system, GUI's really shine. To sum up the idea is to use GUI
    when learning the tool or when starting a new installation and move to
    configuration filesw/commandline managers as the ball gets rolling.

    >I use fetchyahoo and getlive to pull my yahoo and hotmail messages.

    Hmm. fetchmail looks like it can handle about half the requirements,
    along with getlive and some more generic MRA. On a side note, it seems
    fairly obvjoius that fetchyahoo is a scraping perl script, do you
    know of any other such scarping tools for yahoo, gmail or hotmail?
    I'm most interested in a tool that helps me me manage yahoo
    AddressGuard messages locally.

    Thanks
    BubbaT

  13. Re: Looking for MTA

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:59:29 +1000, andrew
    wrote:

    >On 2008-09-27, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    >

    >There is a nice page on the MuttWiki which describes the alphabet soup
    >of the Mail Concept beautifully:
    >
    >http://wiki.mutt.org/?MailConcept
    >
    >It is a great demonstration of the choice available to Linux users and
    >an excellent demonstration of how these acronyms can be melded together
    >in some software.

    Thanks! It's a bit better then the other ones like it I've seen.

    So from that it seems that what I am looking for is a combination
    MRA/MSA ( though they do not really discuss MSAs much ) which can be
    configured to retrieve/send on a schedule or be asked to do so at the
    moment. Where both sending and retrieval is done through multiple
    remote email accounts and retrieved is stored in one repository in a
    "standard format". It should be able to handle both SMTP and POP3
    porotocols. There should also have an optional GUI to configure the
    program.

  14. Re: Looking for MTA

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 00:12:28 -0500, BubbaT wrote:

    > Strange I actually thought that most of the requirements were ones
    > that most MTAs would satisfy,

    In summary, your 6 hour read/send, anytime, and other requirements
    seemly, at the same time, and whatnot made yore request strange.

    > I'm just not sure which combinations any MTA can satisfy.

    In a nutshell, MTAs talk to other MTAs to pass mail back and forth
    between systems. When your MTA decides the user is on it's node, it
    accepts the mail and stores in user inbox.

    Your MUA, uses pop/imap to fetch and read the email.

    If you want to know a little more,
    take a look at http://wiki.mutt.org/?MailConcept

    > To clarify my situation, I am a person who had five computers. I've
    > just bought a new computers and am relegating four of my computers to
    > the basement. The fifth will become a router/firewall. Inherent in
    > that is a lot fo transfering of files,backing up, etc. along with
    > reorganising everything, including my mail.
    >
    >>Some answers can depend on distribution/version installed.

    > Since the machine I am running on is a dual boot linux/XP, I plan on
    > running this in a VM. The idea being I can store the mail in an NTFS
    > partition that is accessed from the VM via samba. I can then run the
    > VM from either linux or XP.

    OMG, that sounds like mounting a Porush on top of a VW.

    Suggest one machine just running linux as your LAN email/file server.

    >>Yup, MTA has to be on 24/7 so cron job will be the tool managing your

    > I figured most would, but I can forsee where someone writes an MTA
    > that might run as a daemon,

    They usually are running as a 24/7 daemon. Dialup users have a bit of
    a problem. :-)

    > and can only

    Nope, you want MTA on 24/7 so your MUA/cron jobs can send at any time
    and the MTA will get around to passing any outbound email to your
    ISP's MTA for Internet delivery.

    > send/retrieve at the fixed times.

    See, there is one of the weird requirements.

    From what you said in all your posts to date, MTA will need be running
    all the time. You use batch jobs to scrape/pull down email from the
    old email accounts.

    As a matter of fact, I have a batch job which runs once a month
    to send each of my old accounts an email just to keep the ISP from
    deleting the account due to lack of use. :-)

    > No. But after the MTA is done I expect procmail or an equivalent to
    > organise ( reorganise ) the mail. I can forsee procmail needing to
    > know which server it came from to properly sort it.

    You create a linux account for each external email account.
    The MTA will save inbound mail in to that account's inbox.
    Pretty straight forward.

    > I'm confused. I thought the cron job you reffer to would by necessity
    > call an MTA.

    Yes, but why the confusion. Example, fetchmail running in cron pulls
    mail down some external email account and sends it to whoever you have
    set in fetchmail's config file. Default would be same user running the cron job.

    MTA routes it to that user's inbox.
    Pretty straight forward.

    > Actually looking through the other email messages and googling a bit I
    > see that I may be confused by what an MTA actually is. I'm going to
    > stop this post now to compose another about this.

    No reason to start another until you get this fairly straightened out
    in your head.

    >>As I misunderstand that correctly, you will need a different linux account
    >>for each different email server. I do the same thing for my hotmail,
    >>yahoo,.... accounts.
    >>

    > Exactly

    Ok, you pick postfix as your MTA, dovecot for your pop/imap
    requirements and create a "bubbat" linux log in account.

    postfix file changes are:

    in /etc/postfix/aliases
    change root: postfix
    to root: bubbat

    in /etc/postfix/main.cf add the following and change
    mynetworks and relayhost values to your values.

    #************************************************* ****************
    # My changes appended to main.cf for my LAN nodes
    #************************************************* ****************

    masquerade_exceptions = root
    mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain localhost $mydomain
    mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
    relayhost = your_ISP_MTA_here
    relay_domains =
    inet_interfaces = all
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
    smtp_host_lookup = dns, native

    #************************************************* ****************
    # Sending: swap out email addresses that appear inside messages (From
    # Recipients doing a reply will send mail to second column.
    # Added a line like
    # bittwister@wm81.home.test my_login@verizon.net
    #
    # postmap generic <===== builds generic.db file
    #
    #************************************************* ****************
    smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic

    #********************** end main.cf ********************

    run the commands
    postalias aliases
    postmap generic

    in /etc/dovecot.config

    change #mail_location
    to mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

    You then restart postfix and dovecot and bubbat should receive
    any email sent to root from any cron job failures.

    For testing, you:
    log into bubbat
    click up two terminals
    In one terminal, login as root
    su - root

    Now send root a testshot email
    mail -s "$USER testshot" $USER < /dev/null

    In the other terminal
    mail
    1 root testshot <=== unread message
    Carriage Return <=== reads message 1
    d >=== delete currently read message
    q <=== exit mail

    Now send bubbat a message in this terminal
    mail -s "$USER testshot" $USER < /dev/null

    mail
    1 bubbat testshot <=== unread message
    Carriage Return <=== reads message 1
    d >=== delete currently read message
    q <=== exit mail

    Now, you click up a gui MUA, set in/out bound servers then send a test
    message from the terminal with

    mail -s "$USER MUA testshot" $USER < /dev/null

    click read mail in the gui and you should see
    bubbat MUA testshot

    Once that works, you start on the other user accounts.

    > OTOH, for people who are new to the
    > system they are configuring, or for people who are configuring a newly
    > installed system, GUI's really shine. To sum up the idea is to use GUI
    > when learning the tool or when starting a new installation and move to
    > configuration filesw/commandline managers as the ball gets rolling.

    Well, you need to read those config files before using the gui.
    I recommend copying the file to file_orig before making the first change.
    You can then do something like
    diff -bBw main.cf main.cf_orig
    to see what has changed.

    Webmin is going to hide the comments and pretty sure you will not have
    a clue as what has to set/added/changed. Webmin is not a wizard. It just
    allows you to pick a config file and start hacking away at it.

    >>I use fetchyahoo and getlive to pull my yahoo and hotmail messages.

    > Hmm. fetchmail looks like it can handle about half the requirements,
    > along with getlive and some more generic MRA.

    Yep, they would pull down any email in a cron job.
    You could test the line count of /var/mail/$USER and if greater than
    a set value, do a
    mail -s "$USER has email" bubbat < /dev/null

    You would never have to go check those old accounts.

    > On a side note, it seems fairly obvjoius that fetchyahoo is a
    > scraping perl script, do you know of any other such scarping tools
    > for yahoo, gmail or hotmail?

    Not really, but you can start by searching
    http://freshmeat.net/
    http://sourceforge.net/

    And I find this pretty handy
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

  15. Re: Looking for MTA

    BubbaT writes:

    > Strange I actually thought that most of the requirements were ones
    > that most MTAs would satisfy, I'm just not sure which combinations any
    > MTA can satisfy.

    Mail systems routinely exchange SMTP information. You can set up a
    relationship with the owner of the mail server to accept packets from
    you for forwarding. Naturally spammers try to find such relay hosts
    and abuse them. So the MTA owners use authentication, and filters to
    prevent this.

    This doesn't mean that you can do this to a gmail.com
    account. Obviously. You need to come to an agreement with the owner
    of the MTA to allow mail forwarding.

    > To clarify my situation, I am a person who had five computers. I've
    > just bought a new computers and am relegating four of my computers to
    > the basement. The fifth will become a router/firewall. Inherent in
    > that is a lot fo transfering of files,backing up, etc. along with
    > reorganising everything, including my mail.

    It's it's all your own equipment, then this is easy. Sendmail, for
    instance, has a "smarthost" option. All mail on a machine is forwarded
    to the smarthost.

    > Well I have several gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc. accounts. They just
    > pile up over the years.

    You can use some MUA to pick up e-mail and copy it to your computer.
    The POP3 protocol allows this.

    > No. But after the MTA is done I expect procmail or an equivalent to
    > organise ( reorganise ) the mail. I can forsee procmail needing to
    > know which server it came from to properly sort it.

    If you grab a stack of mail from a POP3 server, all of the mail was sent to
    the same address (unless you forward mail from multiple accounts).

    I usually sort by the From: or Subject: field.

    > I'm confused. I thought the cron job you reffer to would by necessity
    > call an MTA.

    Just as a note - sendmail can use cron, but it has it's own queing system.

    >>I use fetchyahoo and getlive to pull my yahoo and hotmail messages.

    > Hmm. fetchmail looks like it can handle about half the requirements,
    > along with getlive and some more generic MRA. On a side note, it seems
    > fairly obvjoius that fetchyahoo is a scraping perl script, do you
    > know of any other such scarping tools for yahoo, gmail or hotmail?
    > I'm most interested in a tool that helps me me manage yahoo
    > AddressGuard messages locally.

    I assume fetchmail uses POP3 to grab email. So it should work for any
    POP3-based server. If you use IMAP (i.e. Outlook) you need a different
    tool.

    The standard UNIX mailbox format is easy to parse.

    For instance, perl can do a split using the string "^From " to
    separate a large mail folder into individual e-mails.

    You can combine
    folders with a simple cat.

  16. Re: Looking for MTA

    Bit Twister writes:

    > Nope, you want MTA on 24/7 so your MUA/cron jobs can send at any time
    > and the MTA will get around to passing any outbound email to your
    > ISP's MTA for Internet delivery.

    I am not sure you want to run a MTA 24/7. To me, this implies a SMTP
    server that accepts mail. If you have your own domain, and want to
    receive mail, then yes you do need a 24/7 server. I do this. It's not
    trivial. I get 20,000 spam messages a day I reject. You also need a
    secondary MX server in case your server goes down.

    > MTA routes it to that user's inbox.
    > Pretty straight forward.

    Some people call this function a MDA (Mail Delivery Agent).

    I am not sure you really want a MTA. It soulds like you want to run
    fetchmail and then take all of the mail and organize it. Replying to
    mail sent to different addresses would be difficult.

    You could use a POP3 mechanism to connect to yahoo, and send a message
    out. There must be some tool to do this, but I never needed one.

  17. Re: Looking for MTA

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 08:40:01 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    > Bit Twister writes:

    > I am not sure you want to run a MTA 24/7. To me, this implies a SMTP
    > server that accepts mail.

    That is correct. I just not advocating allowing the Internet to make a
    connection to the MTA.

    > If you have your own domain, and want to
    > receive mail, then yes you do need a 24/7 server.

    In the requirements bubbat wants, any of his LAN accounts can send
    mail at any time. That would almost require 24/7 MTA, the other being
    xinetd which can launch a daemon/service upon demand.

    > I am not sure you really want a MTA. It soulds like you want to run
    > fetchmail

    Yes that too. That way you would not have the MTA accepting inbound
    connects from the Internet, just connections from LAN nodes.
    bubbat did not indicate a registered domain, so I recommend postfix's
    generic file to convert his LAN domain headers into each email
    account's domain. That gets the email by those pesky rules setup by
    some sys admins.

    > and then take all of the mail and organize it. Replying to
    > mail sent to different addresses would be difficult.

    Absolutely correct. Other requirements like creating email copies and
    since he is using Micro$oft, would not hurt to hook in clamv to cut
    down possible malware in the mail.

  18. Re: Looking for MTA

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 13:01:57 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister
    wrote:

    >In the requirements bubbat wants, any of his LAN accounts can send
    >mail at any time. That would almost require 24/7 MTA, the other being
    >xinetd which can launch a daemon/service upon demand.

    Let me clarify. I want to setup a schedule to retrieve/send email. For
    example, I want the system to automatically 6am, noon, 6pm and
    midnight retrieve my email, and to send any email queued for sending.

    But I also have to anticip[ate things like my boss calling at 200pm
    saying, "BubbaT we have an emergency I need you to work on. The
    details are in an email I sent you."

    So i want the equivalent of two push buttons on my desktop: "Send
    email now", and "get email now".

  19. Re: Looking for MTA

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:03:43 -0500, BubbaT wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 13:01:57 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In the requirements bubbat wants, any of his LAN accounts can send
    >>mail at any time. That would almost require 24/7 MTA, the other being
    >>xinetd which can launch a daemon/service upon demand.

    > Let me clarify. I want to setup a schedule to retrieve/send email.

    We have that down pat, you run a cron job. It pulls the mail from the
    account and it gets stored on your machine for reading at your pleasure.

    > For
    > example, I want the system to automatically 6am, noon, 6pm and
    > midnight retrieve my email, and to send any email queued for sending.

    With an MTA running 24/7 any email gets sent as soon as it can hand it
    off to your ISP's MTA

    > But I also have to anticip[ate things like my boss calling at 200pm
    > saying, "BubbaT we have an emergency I need you to work on. The
    > details are in an email I sent you."

    Method I use is when I click my shortcut for that account,
    the login runs fetchmail and launches thunderbird so I can open it.

    Downside there is if your hot/g/yahoo mail has not received the
    message before fetchmail pulls in upon login.
    You would have to logout/in for fetchmail to pull down for your MUA.

    > So i want the equivalent of two push buttons on my desktop: "Send
    > email now", and "get email now".

    Dang requirement creep. 8-)

    Since MUA can connect to running MTA, email leaves your LAN pretty
    quick after clicking Send in your MUA.

    Ok, login script would also launch a script to run fetchmail again
    upon a button click in the xmessage pop up.
    Or, just have a script to run fetchmail every so often while
    the MUA is running for that user.

    I have a feeling, all this goes into the trash bin as soon as you add
    the requirement this all has to work while logged into a Micro$not OS.

+ Reply to Thread