FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Pt. 17 - Linux

This is a discussion on FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Pt. 17 - Linux ; High Plains NetKKKop wrote: > > Recommend you look > You are a useless cunt rag George Hostler....

  1. FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Pt. 17

    High Plains NetKKKop wrote:

    > Recommend you look

    You are a useless cunt rag George Hostler.

  2. Re: FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Pt. 17

    Anonymous AKA George Orwell using an anonymising remailer wrote:
    > High Plains NetKKKop wrote:
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    To Hadron, anyone who posts favourably of Linux to a Linux forum is a
    hypocrite. He prefers Debian unstable, complaining about stable being
    buggy and can't seem to get the AC97 sound chip to work in Linux.
    Redefines his meaning of serial schizo.

    >>> The other faq that goes around here is actually more accurate. I
    >>> suspect HPT looks over his shoulder a lot.

    >> Recommend you look over your shoulder at my reply to Hadron, same
    >> thread,

    > You [snip vulgar troll rant]
    >
    > [snip Italian] The sender address of this non message is not related to
    > a real person but to a fake address of an anonymous system. For more
    > info https://www.mixmaster.it

    Interesting that this anonymous remailing coward crossposted this to a
    newsgroup I never intended it to go to. To do its cowardly act, hides
    behind an anonymising remailer to mask its origination.

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Pt. 17

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Anonymous AKA George Orwell using an anonymising remailer wrote:
    >> High Plains NetKKKop wrote:

    > To Hadron, anyone who posts favourably of Linux to a Linux forum is a
    > hypocrite.

    Exactly what software platform do you use to make a living, hypocrite?
    Of course. And since you actively refuse to use Linux for the most
    important part of your life, what makes you think you - or any of you cola
    weirdos - can advocate Linux? It's laughable.

  4. Re: FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Pt. 17

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Anonymous AKA George Orwell using an anonymising remailer wrote:
    >> High Plains NetKKKop wrote:

    > To Hadron, anyone who posts favourably of Linux to a Linux forum is a
    > hypocrite. He prefers Debian unstable, complaining about stable being

    Anyone who follows High Plains Hypocrite's ridiculous rants will know by
    now I use Debian lenny. (Testing). I used SOME pinning of Unstable last
    year because it was the only way I could get my HW supported.

    Why Lenny? Because Etch will not work on my HW. Also I spend a LOT of
    time reporting bugs back to the developers and testing fixes.

    Would anyone like to ask High Plains Hypocrite what *he* contributes? I
    know the answer. Sweet FA.

  5. Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition IIIPt. 2

    DFS wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Anonymous AKA George Orwell using an anonymising remailer wrote:

    >> To Hadron, anyone who posts favourably of Linux to a Linux forum is a
    >> hypocrite.

    > Exactly what software platform do you use to make a living, hypocrite?
    > ... ... Of course. And since you actively refuse to use Linux for the
    > most important part of your life, what makes you think you - or any of
    > you cola weirdos - can advocate Linux? It's laughable.

    This type talk, calling persons "hypocrite" is only intended to provoke

    Purpose of and netiquette for c.o.l.advocacy is summed up as:

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other
    operating systems.

    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the
    newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for
    the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to
    discuss Linux, for the betterment of the Linux community and the
    promotion and development of Linux. It supports this as a place
    for those who would like to learn more about Linux to come to
    learn from those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a
    place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order to
    discredit Linux.
    Your ISP has the following on newgroup abuse and netiquette:

    http://my.att.net/csbellsouth/s/edit...page=cg/legal/
    legal_homepage.htm&categoryid=&only=y&bfromind=354&eeid=3761384&
    eetype=article&render=y&ck=

    or http://tinyurl.com/473wqy

    Legal Page
    Acceptable Use Policies

    Newsgroup Abuse

    In general, newsgroup abuse includes the following: [...]

    * posting off-topic [...]

    Violations of these policies could result in being banned from newsgroups
    and may result in immediate cancellation of service. [...]

    Miscellaneous

    Any other behavior as reasonably determined by BellSouth to be
    unacceptable. This includes any behavior deemed unacceptable by other
    ISPs, behavior which is in violation of generally acceptable "Netiquette"
    practices, behavior which causes BellSouth or the BellSouth Internet
    Service to be viewed unfavorably by others, or other behavior which may
    cause BellSouth Internet Service to be adversely affected via e-mail or
    news blocking, or which may cause BellSouth to appear on detrimental
    lists for spamming, etc.
    If you cannot follow acceptable "Netiquette" practises and post related
    to topic, recommend leaving this group and posting in one where your
    style of posting is considered
    acceptable.

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Pt. 2

    "High Plains Thumper" schreef in bericht
    > DFS wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> To Hadron, anyone who posts favourably of Linux to a Linux forum is a
    >>> hypocrite.

    >> Exactly what software platform do you use to make a living, hypocrite?
    >> ... ... Of course. And since you actively refuse to use Linux for the
    >> most important part of your life, what makes you think you - or any of
    >> you cola weirdos - can advocate Linux? It's laughable.

    > This type talk, calling persons "hypocrite" is only intended to provoke
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    [^ indicates up]
    Wrong FAQ, you stupid tit!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    +
    + C.O.L.A. Newcomer FAQ and Primer
    + Edition: 23 - 10/24/07
    + Group: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    +
    + Copyright (c) 2002-2006 Linux Reality Team
    +
    + PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
    +
    + http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    +
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy, otherwise known as cola.
    This FAQ will try to address most of the issues regarding Linux and
    this group. Unlike the other FAQs, this one will try to be as
    realistic as possible. If you want the straight information from
    real people, continue reading. If you would like to be told what
    you want to hear, or read a bunch of misinformation that you will
    regret later as you find things don't work as they should, feel free
    to read one of the other "FAQS" in here.

    OK, on to the info! ADDED NEW SECTION BELOW!

    Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
    and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.
    Read these carefully before you decide to invest time in Linux, you
    may find that you have better things you can do instead.

    SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
    --------------------------

    1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
    are not supported. If your lucky you might be able to find
    something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
    after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
    advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

    1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
    A: Then you get the joy of making sure everything is configured
    right. Plan on a minimum of two hours per device to get it to
    work. That's if the device is even supported.

    1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
    installation freezes or just stops?
    A: You get to reboot and start all over again. This happens
    every so often with Linux. It seems like it's buggy install
    routines or something. Ain't Linux grand?

    1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
    hard drive space!
    A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of never-used programs
    on the default install. You can pick and choose what you want,
    but good luck figuring out what programs are needed and what is
    useless, obscure tools. Linux usually installs stuff like 10
    different editors, 12 different mail clients, and so on.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
    ---------------------------

    2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    A: All of Linux is configured with cryptic text files. Some of
    the more user-friendly distros have configuration utilities
    that claim to do it for you, but success with these works
    sometimes and other times don't, so sometimes you have to
    edit them by hand. With Linux's spotty reliability in UI
    programming, you might as well get used to it.

    2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
    these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
    A: These are command line programs that do things within the
    system. It's what makes Linux a powerful OS for those that
    are experienced with it. But it's also what makes it a pain
    in the arse to use and inefficient as a desktop system. Who
    wants to type all the time when they can just click?!

    (more to come...)

    SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
    ----------------------------

    3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    A: Good question. Because Linux doesn't have a large user base
    on the desktop,(I think it's about 0.24%, less than 1%)
    companies that make software won't write their programs for
    Linux. There's a lot of community created programs out there,
    and some are fairly good, but those are few and far between.
    Most of the Linux software that tries to mimic it's windows
    counterpart is substandard. It's usually slow and buggy and
    early in development.

    3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
    is that?
    A: That's Linux's version of DLL hell. Different versions and
    distros use different libraries. So unlike windows where
    programs will run on many different versions, Linux programs
    will fail if they're not made for your specific version.

    3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
    what is a makefile?
    A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
    under Linux. When the question above fails, you can always
    build it yourself. The advantage is that it works most of
    the time. The disadvantage is that it takes forever to build
    large programs, you need to know some cryptic commands and
    you have to do all this on a command line. Unlike Windows
    where you just double click and you are done.

    3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    A: Not really. You can buy Linux itself at various stores. But
    not too many commercial companies make applications for Linux,
    there's no profit in it with 0.24% of the desktop market.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
    ---------------------------

    4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    A: Linux is built on the technology of the old UNIX OS's. Even
    the graphical user interface of Linux is a separate program that
    is the same type they used back in the older UNIX days. So
    working with old technology will give you the old technology
    responsiveness. Also, a lot of the GUI's, although nice to look
    at, are still not mature. Using them is slow and sluggish
    compared to, say, Windows.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
    --------------------------

    5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
    governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically.
    You can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something
    as ugly as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see some
    varying UI stile in Linux.

    5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
    A: No. They make it difficult to get it for free. All the other
    distros provide free ISO's to download. Suse is the only one
    that doesn't provide them but instead has a FTP install that's
    hard to get to work. Why should they make it easy? The more
    people that can't get the download to work have to spend $80
    or more for the boxed set. And on top of all that although
    it might have a few more user friendly tools, it's still the
    same base Linux system that's in development and that all the
    other distros are using. In other words, they're all on about
    the same level of struggling to catch up to Windows, so you're
    not going to find any earth-shattering features in one compared
    to another.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
    -----------------------------

    6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a common
    answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
    It's meant to make you feel inadequate while boating the Linux
    persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
    themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
    newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
    hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
    any help.

    6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when
    using Linux?
    A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    takes a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    superior, and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have
    time for the pathetic little Windows people.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?

    7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    if it isn't?
    A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the
    last windows they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.

    7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    questions linux?
    A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and
    reasonable judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your
    are a troll or a paid MS supporter.

    7.3 Q: Why does everyone you if you question Linux?
    A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them
    or you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy
    way out of having to prove themselves, they will you.

    (more to come...)
    SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

    8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of links
    to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    Linux extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    Linux comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    that belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    or outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    anything questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a
    little "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    then decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

    (more to come...)
    PLEASE VISIT:

    http://tinyurl.com/ysrz8u

    http://tinyurl.com/ysrz8u

    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Pt. 17

    DFS wrote:
    > Exactly what software platform do you use to make a living, hypocrite?
    > Of course. And since you actively refuse to use Linux for the most
    > important part of your life, what makes you think you - or any of you cola
    > weirdos - can advocate Linux? It's laughable.

    You consider work as the most important part of life? That explains
    everything.

+ Reply to Thread