Common Linux hassle: works one day, doesn't work the next - Linux

This is a discussion on Common Linux hassle: works one day, doesn't work the next - Linux ; "My HP Pavilion DV6305US worked great, for a while, with the internal hard drive removed and MiniMe installed on an external 160g HD via USB....But now it won't." http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=49803.0...

  1. Common Linux hassle: works one day, doesn't work the next

    "My HP Pavilion DV6305US worked great, for a while, with the internal hard
    drive removed and MiniMe installed on an external 160g HD via USB....But now
    it won't."

    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=49803.0

  2. Re: Common Linux hassle: works one day, doesn't work the next

    DFS wrote:

    > "My HP Pavilion DV6305US worked great, for a while, with the internal hard
    > drive removed and MiniMe installed on an external 160g HD via USB....But
    > now it won't."
    >
    > http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=49803.0

    That's funny. In my experience once a Linux system is up and running, it
    stays that way. It is Windows and that POS called the Registry that causes
    spontaneous failures in a working system.

    Ian

  3. Re: Common Linux hassle: works one day, doesn't work the next

    Ian Hilliard wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My HP Pavilion DV6305US worked great, for a while, with the
    >> internal hard drive removed and MiniMe installed on an external 160g
    >> HD via USB....But now it won't."
    >>
    >> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=49803.0

    > That's funny. In my experience once a Linux system is up and running,
    > it stays that way. It is Windows and that POS called the Registry
    > that causes spontaneous failures in a working system.

    ml2mst: "I've been working with SUSE since 1998, but for some mysterious
    reason, it simply stopped working a couple of months ago."
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....78b83a1137b1f5

    Samba just quits working: "Then some of this suddenly stopped working."

    Samba just quits working: "My computer just stopped sharing its folder
    (which had worked perfectly) one day"

    keyboard just quits working: "While entering data in Krecipes package
    keyboard quit inputing characters"
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6617_102...sageID=2615582

    keyboard just quits working: "..the keyboard would work for awhile and then
    just quit."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/..._this_notebook

    yum just quits working: "this has worked for about four months and today it
    has stopped working."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-119325.html

    network just quits working: "I noticed some times my network will just quit
    working and won't reconnect even if i plug it into a cable nothing works and
    I have to reboot."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/152456

    wireless just quits working: "Wireless connection just quits working.
    Windows will connect just fine."
    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lo...hp/t33604.html

    DNS just quits working: "...DNS has just quit working."

    printing just quits working: "...printnig would just quit working for all
    apps..."
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...underbird.html

    audio player just quits working: "... the Audio Player program just quit
    working one day and hasn't worked since."
    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=14453

    PCMCIA card just quits working: "...one day, the connection simply quit
    working."..."The card works fine in win98se, and I have no problems
    connecting to our router, which is a USR8054."
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26032

    graphics just quit working: "When the WU restarted the graphics window did
    not come back."
    http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=468

    sound just quits working: "I was watching a movie in movie player and the
    right sound channel cut out. Then about 10 seconds later, the left cut out.
    I rebooted and still no sound. My sound is turned up all the way too. I'm
    not sure what I will do. Reinstall something I guess."

    Linuxconf just quits working: "Does Linuxconf actually work? When I use it,
    it tends to mess up my config files (at least for Apache) and always tell me
    some process is taking too long. Sometimes it seems to just quit on me."
    http://rasterweb.net/raster/computers/linux.html

    Mandriva 2006 just quits working: "My Mandriva2006 just quit working !"
    http://dunedin.lug.net.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42838

    "I installed openSUSE with KDE 4. Then I installed Gnome. Then it was
    working fine. When I restarted my laptop, I found that my touchpad was not
    working and I have to use USB mouse."

    http://forums.opensuse.org/hardware/...ing-gnome.html

    > Ian

  4. Re: Common Linux hassle: works one day, doesn't work the next

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:24:25 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > sound just quits working: "I was watching a movie in movie player and the
    > right sound channel cut out. Then about 10 seconds later, the left cut out.
    > I rebooted and still no sound. My sound is turned up all the way too. I'm
    > not sure what I will do. Reinstall something I guess."

    I've seen that one before, but not under Ubuntu.
    Re-running alsaconf fixed it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: