Amazon's weekly laptop OS line-up - Linux

This is a discussion on Amazon's weekly laptop OS line-up - Linux ; Well folks, it's time for our weekly update on Amazon's top 25 of the most popular laptop computers on sale with regard to the OS installed. Up until now XP was solidly lodged in #1 and #2, but lo and ...

  1. Amazon's weekly laptop OS line-up

    Well folks, it's time for our weekly update on Amazon's top 25 of the most
    popular laptop computers on sale with regard to the OS installed.

    Up until now XP was solidly lodged in #1 and #2, but lo and behold, it
    appears that XP was ousted from its second place:

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12224608...%3A5-30&page=1

    It seems that the popularity of Microsoft's OS is dropping by the week with
    the second, third and fourth place taken by Linux and Mac OS X.

    And oh, Hasta la Vista? Yup: first occurence in 19th place. It sure must be
    Great Software.

    And here's the latest sales estimates based on this ranking -- and feel free
    to play aroud with the "# of models" parameter. It appears that in all but
    the most extreme scenario, Linux is outselling Windows:

    http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: Amazon's weekly laptop OS line-up

    On Sep 26, 2:03*pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Well folks, it's time for our weekly update on Amazon's top 25 of the most
    > popular laptop computers on sale with regard to the OS installed.
    >
    > Up until now XP was solidly lodged in #1 and #2, but lo and behold, it
    > appears that XP was ousted from its second place:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12224608...TF8&rs=565108&...
    >
    > It seems that the popularity of Microsoft's OS is dropping by the week with
    > the second, third and fourth place taken by Linux and Mac OS X.
    >
    > And oh, Hasta la Vista? Yup: first occurence in 19th place. It sure must be
    > Great Software.
    >
    > And here's the latest sales estimates based on this ranking -- and feel free
    > to play aroud with the "# of models" parameter. It appears that in all but
    > the most extreme scenario, Linux is outselling Windows:
    >
    > http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >
    > Richard Rasker
    > --http://www.linetec.nl

    Fantastic news. This year is turning out better than I had hoped.

  3. Re: Amazon's weekly laptop OS line-up

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:03:17 UTC, Richard Rasker
    wrote:

    -> Well folks, it's time for our weekly update on Amazon's top 25 of the most
    -> popular laptop computers on sale with regard to the OS installed.
    ->
    -> Up until now XP was solidly lodged in #1 and #2, but lo and behold, it
    -> appears that XP was ousted from its second place:
    ->
    -> http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12224608...%3A5-30&page=1
    ->
    -> It seems that the popularity of Microsoft's OS is dropping by the week with
    -> the second, third and fourth place taken by Linux and Mac OS X.
    ->
    -> And oh, Hasta la Vista? Yup: first occurence in 19th place. It sure must be
    -> Great Software.

    But that great "I'm a PC" ad series will turn that around won't it?
    Or maybe they will revive the Seinfeld ads though they were a tad
    baffling, but then so is the "I'm a PC" ads. Can't you run something
    other than windoze on a PC? Or maybe they will release that Mojave
    operating system that those people loved in that other TV ad. It
    certainly can't be the POC ****sa is.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
    Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

  4. Re: Amazon's weekly laptop OS line-up

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > Fantastic news. This year is turning out better than I had hoped.

    How so? It's not like you can send anyone else you know an .odt file...

  5. Re: Amazon's weekly laptop OS line-up

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:
    > On Sep 26, 2:03Â*pm, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >> Well folks, it's time for our weekly update on Amazon's top 25 of the most
    >> popular laptop computers on sale with regard to the OS installed.
    >>
    >> Up until now XP was solidly lodged in #1 and #2, but lo and behold, it
    >> appears that XP was ousted from its second place:
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12224608...TF8&rs=565108&...
    >>
    >> It seems that the popularity of Microsoft's OS is dropping by the week with
    >> the second, third and fourth place taken by Linux and Mac OS X.
    >>
    >> And oh, Hasta la Vista? Yup: first occurence in 19th place. It sure must be
    >> Great Software.
    >>
    >> And here's the latest sales estimates based on this ranking -- and feel free
    >> to play aroud with the "# of models" parameter. It appears that in all but
    >> the most extreme scenario, Linux is outselling Windows:
    >>
    >> http://www.linetec.nl/linux/os-curve.ods
    >>
    >> Richard Rasker
    >> --http://www.linetec.nl

    > Fantastic news. This year is turning out better than I had hoped.

    Me too... I posted similar stats some time ago, when I noticed that all
    of the top-ten Amazon sellers were Apple and/or Linux. Presumably, this
    is why Microsoft decided that it wasn't going to end-of-life XP after
    all...