An Open Letter to Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| We haven’t talked, but I’ve been watching you from afar and feeling your pain
| as you’ve dealt with more than your fair share of challenges. Eighteen months
| after your debut, you simply don’t have an aura of success about you. Worse,
| your aging predecessor, Windows XP, has unexpectedly gained armies of
| devotees who refuse to give it up. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs–your
| original marketing tagline may have been “The Wow Starts Now,” but many
| people remain steadfastly unwowed.
`----

http://technologizer.com/2008/08/06/...windows-vista/

Dabbling in OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
| None of that is probably very exciting for experience Solaris admins, but for
| me it certainly was. OpenSolaris is really neat in that way. I hope that it
| has a good future, since competition is always good for the end user. There
| are some good ideas in Solaris, which can inspire GNU/Linux as well. In the
| meantime, I hope that open source projects continue to be ported to
| OpenSolaris, since as usual, the availability of software really makes or
| breaks the success of a platform.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/5805

Recent:

Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed?

,----[ Quote ]
| inux is enjoying growth, with a contingent of devotees too large to be called
| a cult following at this point. Solaris, meanwhile, has thrived as a
| longstanding, primary Unix platform geared to enterprises. But with Linux the
| object of all the buzz in the industry, can Sun's rival Solaris Unix OS hang
| on, or is it destined to be displaced by Linux altogether?
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...solaris_1.html

PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS wrongs with
| each creating their own software to be pre-installed on new computers in the
| hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems with Vista, according to a
| interesting report in today's Wall Street Journal.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

Unwanted licences boost Vista numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| "From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with an XP
| licence," said Jane Bradburn, a marketing manager for HP Australia. "However,
| what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business
| licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business
| computers we are selling today."
|
| Therefore the Vole's claims for high Vista sales figures are merely so much
| steer manure. The major PC vendors are still preloading Windows XP, but
| Microsoft is counting those XP preloads as Vista sales.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...lly-windows-xp

Related:

Currys group blames Vista for poor sales

,----[ Quote ]
| DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
| Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/c...oor-sales.html

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/...ubts.on.vista/

Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
| experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
| visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
| created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site. *
`----

http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downg...indows-xp.blog

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

`----