Wine Can Surprise Me at Times... - Linux

This is a discussion on Wine Can Surprise Me at Times... - Linux ; I downloaded a service manual from some site for a device I am having troubles with and of course it's a Windows program which is flash based. IOW it has animations, etc and requires Flash in order to run. So ...

  1. Wine Can Surprise Me at Times...

    I downloaded a service manual from some site for a device I am having
    troubles with and of course it's a Windows program which is flash based.
    IOW it has animations, etc and requires Flash in order to run.

    So I unzipped it, clicked on the install program and it installed under
    wine using Ubuntu Hardy...

    Not expecting much, I found the program listed in the menu under wine (nice
    touch BTW) and launched it.

    I almost **** when it popped up and appears to work fine!

    All the simulations, animations etc seem to work just fine.
    Now if I can only fix the machine

    Obviously wine has improved quite a bit.
    I'm going to borrow a friends Cisco CNE course DVD and see how that works.
    I sold all mine after I got my certification.
    That's kind of an acid test because last time I checked they use some
    oddball media player for their simulations.
    This may have changed though.

    I'll report back.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Wine Can Surprise Me at Times...

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    > I downloaded a service manual from some site for a device I am having
    > troubles with and of course it's a Windows program which is flash based.
    > IOW it has animations, etc and requires Flash in order to run.
    >
    > So I unzipped it, clicked on the install program and it installed under
    > wine using Ubuntu Hardy...
    >
    > Not expecting much, I found the program listed in the menu under wine

    (nice
    > touch BTW) and launched it.
    >
    > I almost **** when it popped up and appears to work fine!
    >
    > All the simulations, animations etc seem to work just fine.
    > Now if I can only fix the machine
    >
    > Obviously wine has improved quite a bit.
    > I'm going to borrow a friends Cisco CNE course DVD and see how that works.
    > I sold all mine after I got my certification.
    > That's kind of an acid test because last time I checked they use some
    > oddball media player for their simulations.
    > This may have changed though.
    >
    > I'll report back.

    Yes...I re-tried WINE a few months back and found that it has improved
    considerably
    since I first used it maybe 4 years ago or so.

+ Reply to Thread