Now it's my compiler! - Linux

This is a discussion on Now it's my compiler! - Linux ; The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > On Sep 25, 8:22 pm, Hyman Rosen wrote: >> Rjack wrote: >>> You don't have to say anything at all about your compiler. >> Do so! > > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html > > > The ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48

  1. Re: Now it's my compiler!

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 8:22 pm, Hyman Rosen wrote:
    >> Rjack wrote:
    >>> You don't have to say anything at all about your compiler.

    >> Do so!

    > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
    >

    > The “Corresponding Source” for a work in object code form means
    > all the source code needed to generate, install, and (for an
    > executable work) run the object code and to modify the work,
    > including scripts to control those activities. However, it does
    > not include the work's System Libraries, or general-purpose tools
    > or generally available free programs which are used unmodified in
    > performing those activities but which are not part of the work.
    > . . .

    > [b] does NOT need to provide any information/media/software
    > regarding his compilation environment beyond that needed for a
    > runnable distribution of any derived/compiled product, though it
    > may need to identify the proper environment (e.g., icc on an
    > x86).

    http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resou...nce-guide.html

    4.2.3 What About the Compiler?
    .. . .
    If you have used a proprietary, third-party compiler to build the
    software, then you probably cannot ship it to your customers. We
    consider the name of the compiler, its exact version number, and
    where it can be acquired as information that *must be provided as
    part of the Corresponding Source*. This information is essential to
    anyone who wishes to produce a binary. It is not the intent of the
    GPL to require you to distribute third-party software tools to your
    customer (provided the tools themselves are not based on the GPL’d
    software shipped), but *we do believe it requires* that you give the
    user all the essential non-proprietary facts that you had at your
    disposal to build the software. Therefore, if you choose not to
    distribute the compiler, you should include a readme about where you
    got it, what version it was, and who to contact to acquire it,
    regardless of whether your compiler is FOSS, proprietary, or
    internally developed.

    Sincerely,
    Rjack

  2. Re: Now it's my compiler!

    Hi Trolls,

    I just realised, none of the GPL trolls dared to quote my GPL'd news
    post! Are you afraid of having to license your own post under the GPL,
    so starting the process of assimilation?

    Well I've got news for you! The process of assimilation is proceeding
    very nicely without your help. Why do you think no one has heard from
    Darl McBride recently? Is it because he resigned from SCO? Or is it
    because he has been assimilated into the Free Software Foundation, and
    now spends his days making the stale sandwiches that you too will be
    eating one day?

    Pete

    Copyright (c) 2008 Pete Chown.

    This post is free software: you can redistribute it and/or
    modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
    published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the
    License, or (at your option) any later version.

    This post is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
    General Public License for more details.

    along with this post. If not, see .

  3. Re: Now it's my compiler!

    Pete Chown <1@234.cx> wrote:
    > Well I've got news for you! The process of assimilation is proceeding
    > very nicely without your help. Why do you think no one has heard from
    > Darl McBride recently? Is it because he resigned from SCO? Or is it
    > because he has been assimilated into the Free Software Foundation, and
    > now spends his days making the stale sandwiches that you too will be
    > eating one day?

    Tsk, after all the damage he did, that was the worst job they could find for
    him? I would've had him cleaning the sewers with his toothbrush.

  4. Re: Now it's my compiler!

    Pete Chown wrote:

    > Hi Trolls,

    [...]

    > Copyright (c) 2008 Pete Chown.
    >
    > This post is free software: you can redistribute it and/or
    > modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
    > published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the
    > License, or (at your option) any later version.

    Have a nice day Pete!
    _ _
    |A| |A|
    |l| |l|
    |e| |e|
    |x| |x|
    |a| |a|
    |n| /^^^\ |n|
    _|d|_ (| "o" |) _|d|_
    _| |e| | _ (_---_) _ | |e| |_
    | | |r| |' | _| |_ | `| |r| | |
    | | / \ | |
    \ / / /(. .)\ \ \ /
    \ / / / | . | \ \ \ /
    \ \/ / ||Y|| \ \/ /
    \__/ || || \__/
    () ()
    || ||
    ooO Ooo

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
    too, whereas GNU cannot.)

  5. Re: Now it's my compiler!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sep 26, 6:03 am, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, The Ghost In The Machine belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >> > OK, I'm missing something here.

    >> You certainly are, Ghost.
    >>
    >> Rjack is a troll. Nothing more.

    > A troll espousing a concern, yes.

    No, he's just a troll.

    A frequent response from this clown is a simple ASCII graphic showing
    you the middle finger on both hands in an exaggerated manner.

    The amount of chaff you have to wade through to find a nugget of
    applicable truth in his posts is too much.

    You give him too much credit, credence, and attention.

    But hey, don't let me stop you, Ghost. If anyone can choke that chicken
    with verbiage, it is you!

    --
    The human race is a race of cowards; and I am not only marching in that
    procession but carrying a banner.

  6. Re: Now it's my compiler!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Alexander Terekhov belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Have a nice day Pete!
    > _ _
    > |A| |A|
    > |l| |l|
    > |e| |e|
    > |x| |x|
    > |a| |a|
    > |n| /^^^\ |n|
    > _|d|_ (| "o" |) _|d|_
    > _| |e| | _ (_---_) _ | |e| |_
    > | | |r| |' | _| |_ | `| |r| | |
    > | | / \ | |
    > \ / / /(. .)\ \ \ /
    > \ / / / | . | \ \ \ /
    > \ \/ / ||Y|| \ \/ /
    > \__/ || || \__/
    > () ()
    > || ||
    > ooO Ooo

    Here's another one to deal with, Ghost.

    --
    If the future isn't what it used to be, does that mean that the past
    is subject to change in times to come?

  7. Re: Now it's my compiler!

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Tsk, after all the damage he did, that was the worst job they could find
    > for him? I would've had him cleaning the sewers with his toothbrush.

    But then there would be nothing for Bill Gates to do...

    Pete

  8. Re: Now it's my compiler!

    Alexander: thank you for contributing to my copyleft news post. I've
    added your name to the copyright statement. Now everyone will be free to
    use your ASCII art, subject to the terms of the GPL of course. ;-)

    Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    >> Copyright (c) 2008 Pete Chown and Alexander Terekhov.
    >>
    >> This post is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    >> under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
    >> Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your
    >> option) any later version.

    > Have a nice day Pete!
    > _ _
    > |A| |A|