Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening - Linux ; Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening. I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older Dell C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local department store and for $25 US + $2 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

  1. Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.

    I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older Dell
    C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local department
    store and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an Altec Lansing
    BAX1121 stereo sound system with 4" woofer. Picked a free MP3
    jazz tune download site like

    http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm

    (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)

    Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
    professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
    sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.

    No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)

    Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
    downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
    only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)

    Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    --
    HPT

  2. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >
    > I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older Dell
    > C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local department store
    > and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an Altec Lansing BAX1121
    > stereo sound system with 4" woofer. Picked a free MP3 jazz tune
    > download site like
    >
    > http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
    >
    > (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
    >
    > Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon,
    > I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
    > professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
    > sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.

    Dell designed the sound chip?

    > No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)

    Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently on
    Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back when I said
    my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

    > Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
    > downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux only
    > requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
    >
    > Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.

    --
    "Opening slide in movie: - Why Linux Sucks (4 Reasons) [no need to further explain, move along ....]"
    -- High Plains Thumper in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  3. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you ****ing moron!
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-li...f-the-box.html
    --
    Hoge (High) vlaktes (Plains) neuker (Thumper) is een vieze achterbakse vage
    kuttenlikker zonder hersens!

  4. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >

    > Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    > Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
    > professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
    > sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.
    >
    > No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
    >
    > Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
    > downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
    > only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
    >
    > Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

    --
    Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

  5. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-09-25, Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >
    >> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >>
    >> I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older Dell
    >> C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local department store
    >> and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an Altec Lansing BAX1121
    >> stereo sound system with 4" woofer. Picked a free MP3 jazz tune
    >> download site like
    >>
    >> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
    >>
    >> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
    >>
    >> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon,
    >> I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
    >> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
    >> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.

    > Dell designed the sound chip?
    >

    >> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)

    > Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently on

    No. On Windows you would be hunting for a driver disk. Then if
    things weren't just so you would have to help Windows manually sort
    out which drivers are which (NT,XP,Vista).

    > Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back when I said
    > my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

    It doesn't matter if you're a liar or not, you're a flaggelants.

    >> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
    >> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux only
    >> requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
    >>
    >> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    > I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.

    You would be lying to imply that that's what he's claiming.

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

  6. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >
    >> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >>
    >> I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older
    >> Dell C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local
    >> department store and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an
    >> Altec Lansing BAX1121 stereo sound system with 4" woofer.
    >> Picked a free MP3 jazz tune download site like
    >>
    >> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
    >>
    >> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
    >>
    >> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10
    >> Gutsy Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume.
    >> Having played professionally, I could really appreciate the
    >> impressive quality sound. Dell did a good job on this
    >> laptop with the sound chip.

    > Dell designed the sound chip?

    No, I did not say that. Please read.

    >> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
    >>

    > Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently
    > on Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back
    > when I said my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

    No. Where do you get more recently on Linux? No, don't recall
    so Googled, could not find any link, but found quite a few that
    questioned your inability to get that AC97 to work whereas others
    had.

    >> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the
    >> 'net, downloading, updating software without having to
    >> reboot. (Linux only requires a reboot if OS image is
    >> modified.)
    >>
    >> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    > I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.

    Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux
    without you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.

    Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

    --
    HPT

  7. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:
    >>
    >>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >>>
    >>> I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older
    >>> Dell C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local
    >>> department store and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an
    >>> Altec Lansing BAX1121 stereo sound system with 4" woofer.
    >>> Picked a free MP3 jazz tune download site like
    >>>
    >>> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
    >>>
    >>> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
    >>>
    >>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10
    >>> Gutsy Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume.
    >>> Having played professionally, I could really appreciate the
    >>> impressive quality sound. Dell did a good job on this
    >>> laptop with the sound chip.

    >> Dell designed the sound chip?

    > No, I did not say that. Please read.
    >
    >>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
    >>>

    >> Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently
    >> on Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back
    >> when I said my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

    > No. Where do you get more recently on Linux? No, don't recall so
    > Googled, could not find any link, but found quite a few that
    > questioned your inability to get that AC97 to work whereas others had.

    And many didn't.

    >>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the
    >>> 'net, downloading, updating software without having to
    >>> reboot. (Linux only requires a reboot if OS image is
    >>> modified.)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    >> I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.

    > Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux without
    > you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.
    >
    > Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

    I will ask you again - why do you think its a compliment to Linux to
    have working sound?

    --
    "True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
    improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It

  8. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:11:32 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:
    >>
    >>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >>>
    >>> I took a little trip away from home with my laptop, an older
    >>> Dell C600, 0.85 GHz Intel Latitude, I stopped by a local
    >>> department store and for $25 US + $2 local tax, purchased an
    >>> Altec Lansing BAX1121 stereo sound system with 4" woofer.
    >>> Picked a free MP3 jazz tune download site like
    >>>
    >>> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
    >>>
    >>> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
    >>>
    >>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10
    >>> Gutsy Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume.
    >>> Having played professionally, I could really appreciate the
    >>> impressive quality sound. Dell did a good job on this
    >>> laptop with the sound chip.

    >> Dell designed the sound chip?

    > No, I did not say that. Please read.
    >
    >>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
    >>>

    >> Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently
    >> on Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back
    >> when I said my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

    > No. Where do you get more recently on Linux? No, don't recall
    > so Googled, could not find any link, but found quite a few that
    > questioned your inability to get that AC97 to work whereas others
    > had.

    Hm...well I'm on a machine with Debian Lenny, it has an AC97 chip...& it's
    working! But...but Queeg says it doesn't work, so WTF am I doing wrong?

    >>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the
    >>> 'net, downloading, updating software without having to
    >>> reboot. (Linux only requires a reboot if OS image is
    >>> modified.)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    >> I'm amazed you think its such an achievement.

    > Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux
    > without you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.
    >
    > Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

    For Quack, it's par for the course.

    --
    "If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't
    be posting anything right now."
    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  9. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux
    > without you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.
    >
    > Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

    Quack is a fscking asshole. A true sociopath.

  10. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Thursday 25 September 2008 17:36 : \____

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >>

    >> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    >> Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
    >> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
    >> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.
    >>
    >> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
    >>
    >> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
    >> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
    >> only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
    >>
    >> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    > Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

    He has lots of time to rant now. They won't be banging him 'round that tunnel
    until after Xmas.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
    Tasks: 184 total, 2 running, 174 sleeping, 0 stopped, 8 zombie

  11. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    chrisv wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Problem with you is no one can say a compliment toward Linux
    >> without you stating some arrogant, foolishly worded derogatory rant.
    >>
    >> Your inability to properly participate in a forum is appalling.

    > Quack is a fscking asshole. A true sociopath.

    Oh, and a "true Linux advocate", as well.

  12. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

    You called it! I immediately thought the same thing, when I saw this
    thread: "Gee, I wonder if Quack is going to snot all over this thread, or
    just leave it alone."

    What a surprise that the POS snotted all over it, eh?

  13. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > ____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Thursday 25 September 2008 17:36 : \____
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    >> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

    > He has lots of time to rant now. They won't be banging him 'round that tunnel
    > until after Xmas.

    I was right, wasn't I?

    Well, I'd rather see cheer-leading than Hadron's sneer-leading.

    --
    we need to split main into"core" and "wtf-uses-this"

  14. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz belched:
    >> Chris Ahlstrom on Thursday :
    >>> High Plains Thumper belched:

    >>> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux
    >>> cheerleading".

    >> He has lots of time to rant now. They won't be banging him
    >> 'round that tunnel until after Xmas.

    > I was right, wasn't I?
    >
    > Well, I'd rather see cheer-leading than Hadron's
    > sneer-leading.

    I think a more appropriate term is "jeer-leading".

    --
    HPT

  15. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-09-25, William Poaster wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:11:32 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Dell designed the sound chip?

    >> No, I did not say that. Please read.

    >>> Huh? Its been like that for years on Windows and more recently
    >>> on Linux. Hell, I remember you calling me a liar a while back
    >>> when I said my Ac97 chip didn't work in Debian Lenny.

    >> No. Where do you get more recently on Linux? No, don't recall
    >> so Googled, could not find any link, but found quite a few that
    >> questioned your inability to get that AC97 to work whereas others
    >> had.

    > Hm...well I'm on a machine with Debian Lenny, it has an AC97 chip...& it's
    > working! But...but Queeg says it doesn't work, so WTF am I doing wrong?

    I think I had Debian something-or-other running with an AC97 chipset.
    I really don't pay that much attention to sound anymore. For the most part
    I haven't needed to do so (under Linux) for a very long time. The consumer
    grade stuff seems to be covered well enough.

    I can't shake the feeling that Hadron's problems are all either
    self-inflicted or imaginary.

    --

    Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good. |||
    / | \

  16. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:40:11 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-09-25, William Poaster wrote:

    >>> No, I did not say that. Please read.

    >>> No. Where do you get more recently on Linux? No, don't recall
    >>> so Googled, could not find any link, but found quite a few that
    >>> questioned your inability to get that AC97 to work whereas others
    >>> had.

    >> Hm...well I'm on a machine with Debian Lenny, it has an AC97 chip...& it's
    >> working! But...but Queeg says it doesn't work, so WTF am I doing wrong?
    >>

    > I think I had Debian something-or-other running with an AC97 chipset.
    > I really don't pay that much attention to sound anymore. For the most part
    > I haven't needed to do so (under Linux) for a very long time. The consumer
    > grade stuff seems to be covered well enough.
    >
    > I can't shake the feeling that Hadron's problems are all either
    > self-inflicted or imaginary.

    PBCAK

    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

  17. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-09-25, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >>

    >> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    >> Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume. Having played
    >> professionally, I could really appreciate the impressive quality
    >> sound. Dell did a good job on this laptop with the sound chip.
    >>
    >> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories .... :-)
    >>
    >> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the 'net,
    >> downloading, updating software without having to reboot. (Linux
    >> only requires a reboot if OS image is modified.)
    >>
    >> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    > Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux cheerleading".

    And Mushy, two posts later, bitching that nobody advocates linux in
    this group. Then Rhonda and DuFuS can followup with agreements.

    --
    Windows: Pay more, expect less.

  18. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > Chris Ahlstrom claimed:
    >> High Plains Thumper belched:
    >>
    >>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.
    >>>

    >>> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20 in Ubuntu 7.10
    >>> Gutsy Gibbon, I had room filling high fidelity volume.
    >>> Having played professionally, I could really appreciate
    >>> the impressive quality sound. Dell did a good job on this
    >>> laptop with the sound chip.
    >>>
    >>> No gaps, great filling, good taste, less calories ....
    >>> :-)
    >>>
    >>> Meanwhile listening, also spent at leisure browsing the
    >>> 'net, downloading, updating software without having to
    >>> reboot. (Linux only requires a reboot if OS image is
    >>> modified.)
    >>>
    >>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    >> Cue Hadrone to come in to sneer at your "Linux
    >> cheerleading".

    > And Mushy, two posts later, bitching that nobody advocates
    > linux in this group. Then Rhonda and DuFuS can followup with
    > agreements.

    It is interesting how they work together, Tim Smith, Moshe
    (Flatfish), DFS, Hadron, cc, etc. Their ranting and raving are
    reminiscent of the Iomega employees astroturfing in the Iomega
    forums back in the mid '90s, when Iomega products and service
    were having terrible quality problems.

    Anything said that may reflect negatively on Microsoft's
    products, such as a favourable comparison of Linux nets insults,
    firebrands, name or nym sliming.

    Get this, I called Moshe an idiot for him calling advocates
    "loons", and he gets on his high horse and starts flaming me for
    it! Amazing, excusing Moshe, "this is the way he is" kind of
    stupid argument. Yet, he says nothing about their insults.

    All of seems to follow nicely into the Microsoft Evangelism:

    'Use [...] the Internet, etc. to heighten the impression that the
    enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated, [...] associated with
    mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
    Bunny". Just keep rubbing it in, via the [...] newsgroups, [...]
    make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of
    the mythology of the computer industry.'

    (reference PDF pages 45 & 55 on
    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf - Comes vs Microsoft
    lawsuit)

    --
    HPT

  19. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-09-25, Clogwog wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" schreef in bericht
    >> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.

    > Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you ****ing moron!
    > http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-li...f-the-box.html

    Which "box" are you babbling about you ****ing dickhead?

    My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1.

    My Eeepc could play mp3s from day1.

    You don't know what the **** is going on..

    Piss off back from whence you came.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  20. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    "Gregory Shearman" schreef in bericht
    > On 2008-09-25, Clogwog wrote:
    >> "High Plains Thumper" schreef in
    >> bericht
    >>> Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.

    >> Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you ****ing moron!
    >> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-li...f-the-box.html

    > Which "box" are you babbling about you ****ing dickhead?
    >
    > My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1.

    Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

    > My Eeepc could play mp3s from day1.

    Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

    > You don't know what the **** is going on..

    Following packages/drivers/encoder are not includes in most distros:
    => Nvidia /ATI graphics card
    => Vmware player kernel modules
    => Wifi chipsets
    => MP3 Support