Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening - Linux ; Clogwog wrote: > "Gregory Shearman" schreef in bericht >> Which "box" are you babbling about you ****ing dickhead? >> >> My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1. > > Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit! Patent violation maybe (depends ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Clogwog wrote:
    > "Gregory Shearman" schreef in bericht
    >> Which "box" are you babbling about you ****ing dickhead?
    >>
    >> My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1.

    > Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

    Patent violation maybe (depends on country) but not copyright violation.

    >> My Eeepc could play mp3s from day1.

    > Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

    Patent violation maybe (depends on country) but not copyright violation.

    >> You don't know what the **** is going on..

    > Following packages/drivers/encoder are not includes in most distros:
    > => Nvidia /ATI graphics card

    Packages available in most distros.

    > => Vmware player kernel modules

    Download package from vmware site and install using package manager. Some
    repositories may have packages that automate it for you.

    > => Wifi chipsets

    Many Wifi chipsets are supported by Linux and several others can be easily
    installed from windows drivers.

    > => MP3 Support

    Packages available in most distros. In some countries patent licenses are
    required.

    > => Real Media and Player

    Download package from real site and install using package manager. Some
    repositories may have packages that automate it for you.

    > => CSS encrypted DVDs (DVD Playback)

    Packages available in most distros. In some countries having/using it is
    illegal.

    > => Cryptography

    Packages available in most distros (e.g. openssl, gnupg, encfs, openssh). In
    some countries having/using it is illegal.

    > => SUN JAVA

    Packages available in most distros.

    > => Adobe Flash Player etc

    Packages available in most distros.

    Commercial, proprietary, non free programs can have packages prepared for
    them in repositories that don't contain the program it self but
    automatically downloads and installs it (google earth comes to mind).

    Regards.

  2. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    After takin' a swig o' grog, LusoTec belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Clogwog wrote:
    >
    >>> My Eeepc could play mp3s from day1.

    >> Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

    > Patent violation maybe (depends on country) but not copyright violation.

    Maybe not even patent violations, if Asus is paying royalties.

    >>> You don't know what the **** is going on..

    Based on the below, it is the Clogster who doesn't WTF is up.

    --
    lp1 on fire
    (One of the more obfuscated kernel messages)

  3. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

    > http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
    >
    > (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
    >
    > Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20

    Or even bash:

    #!/bin/bash

    trap "exit" SIGINT

    for track in \
    $(for album in \
    $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \
    grep "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \
    grep \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done

    exit

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:24:50 up 41 days, 23:37, 5 users, load average: 0.10, 0.07, 0.04

  4. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Homer wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
    >
    >> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
    >>
    >> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
    >>
    >> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20

    > Or even bash:
    >
    > #!/bin/bash
    >
    > trap "exit" SIGINT
    >
    > for track in \
    > $(for album in \
    > $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \
    > grep "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \
    > grep \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done
    >
    > exit

    Sweet ..... :-)

  5. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-09-26, Clogwog wrote:
    > "Gregory Shearman" schreef in bericht
    >> On 2008-09-25, Clogwog wrote:
    >>> "High Plains Thumper" schreef in
    >>> bericht
    >>>
    >>> Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you ****ing moron!
    >>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-li...f-the-box.html

    >> Which "box" are you babbling about you ****ing dickhead?
    >>
    >> My Gentoos all could play mp3s from day1.

    > Illegal copyright violation, you stupid tit!

    **** off dickhead, you don't know what the **** is going on.

    It's illegal to ENCODE mp3s. Perfectly legal to LISTEN to them.

    >> You don't know what the **** is going on..

    > Following packages/drivers/encoder are not includes in most distros:
    >=> Nvidia /ATI graphics card
    >=> Vmware player kernel modules
    >=> Wifi chipsets
    >=> MP3 Support
    >=> Real Media and Player
    >=> CSS encrypted DVDs (DVD Playback)
    >=> Cryptography
    >=> SUN JAVA
    >=> Adobe Flash Player etc

    All included with Gentoo you dishonest prick.

    **** off back into your filthy hole.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  6. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > troll:
    >>
    >> Following packages/drivers/encoder are not includes in most distros:
    >>=> Nvidia /ATI graphics card
    >>=> Vmware player kernel modules
    >>=> Wifi chipsets
    >>=> MP3 Support
    >>=> Real Media and Player
    >>=> CSS encrypted DVDs (DVD Playback)
    >>=> Cryptography
    >>=> SUN JAVA
    >>=> Adobe Flash Player etc

    > All included with Gentoo you dishonest prick.

    And all obtained VERY quickly, easily, and freely after install, if they
    are not already there.

    > **** off back into your filthy hole.

    Would it be educational to list all the things "not included" with
    Windwoes?

    Not really - we all know you can't do jack with Windwoes until you install
    all the drivers and apps that are needed to get anything done.

    What a ridiculous "point"!

  7. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Gregory Shearman belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > It's illegal to ENCODE mp3s. Perfectly legal to LISTEN to them.

    Oh dear!

    Guess that makes my compressed collection of my entire music CD stock
    illegal then!

    Oh dear! I hope those poor dears from jack (the command-line ripper) and
    streamripper don't get tossed into jail.

    And this nest of criminals!

    http://www.mp3-converter.com/linux/

    --
    You mentioned your name as if I should recognize it, but beyond the
    obvious facts that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a freemason, and

  8. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On Sep 25, 1:30*pm, "Clogwog" wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" schreef in berichtnews:48dbbdbe$0$17067$6e1ede2f@read.cnntp.o rg...
    >
    > > Linux is good for high fidelity easy listening.

    > Linux out of the box can't even play mp3!, you ****ing moron!http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/why-li...3-and-selected...

    What the Article says is that "Linux" can't play MP3, but a Linux
    distribution can, because MP3 Players included with the distribution
    aren't published under GPL, or are licensed with MP3 compatible OSS
    license.

    First of all, the technology for playing MP3 is trivial, and Linux
    does have OSS based MP3 players. The specific issue is DRM protected
    content, which does require DRM compliant software - which confirms
    active subscription/payment, keeps a playlist, and submits the
    playlist to the subscription provider.

    The key is how you aquire the mp3 content. If you download it, you
    have to pay the subscription and verify it at least once a month. If
    you rip it from a CD you've purchased, you can play it with any MP3
    player software available for Linux.

  9. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:25:12 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:
    >
    >> http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm
    >>
    >> (Airmen of Note is a premium US military band jazz combo.)
    >>
    >> Voila! Using Totem Movie Player 2.20.20

    > Or even bash:
    >
    > #!/bin/bash
    >
    > trap "exit" SIGINT
    >
    > for track in \
    > $(for album in \
    > $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \ grep
    > "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \ grep
    > \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done
    >
    > exit
    >
    >> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    Not my taste in tunes, but a novel approach to playing them.

    Is there a Windows equivalent, or just a GUI app requiring 12,000 times
    the resources?

  10. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:25:12 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

    >> #!/bin/bash
    >>
    >> trap "exit" SIGINT
    >>
    >> for track in \
    >> $(for album in \
    >> $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \
    >> grep "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \
    >> grep \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done

    # ^^^^ *correction*
    >> exit
    >>
    >>> Thank you again Linux for a job well done.

    > Not my taste in tunes, but a novel approach to playing them.
    >
    > Is there a Windows equivalent, or just a GUI app requiring 12,000 times
    > the resources?

    That would be WMP (Windows Monopoly Player) + Fraunhofer MP3 codec.
    iTuna probably requires 24,000 times as much resources again.
    Neither one of them are exactly resource-efficient, nor anywhere near
    as powerful and flexible as MPlayer - unless one actually *wants* DRM
    (I suppose some do, for some unfathomable reason).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:19:23 up 46 days, 20:32, 4 users, load average: 0.04, 0.07, 0.05

  11. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:19:42 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:25:12 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

    >>> #!/bin/bash
    >>>
    >>> trap "exit" SIGINT
    >>>
    >>> for track in \
    >>> $(for album in \
    >>> $(elinks -dump http://www.airmenofnote.com/sounds/TOC.htm | \
    >>> grep "/sounds/" | cut -d'.' -f2-); do elinks -dump $album | \
    >>> grep \.mp3 | cut -d'.' -f2-; done); do mplayer $track; done

    > # ^^^^ *correction*
    >>> exit

    >> Not my taste in tunes, but a novel approach to playing them.
    >>
    >> Is there a Windows equivalent, or just a GUI app requiring 12,000 times
    >> the resources?

    > That would be WMP (Windows Monopoly Player) + Fraunhofer MP3 codec.
    > iTuna probably requires 24,000 times as much resources again. Neither
    > one of them are exactly resource-efficient, nor anywhere near as
    > powerful and flexible as MPlayer - unless one actually *wants* DRM (I
    > suppose some do, for some unfathomable reason).

    Presumably for the same reasons someone would see a professional
    dominatrix: for the privilege of paying someone to tell them what they
    can and cannot do.

    Can't say I understand such a mentality, but it's easy enough to
    recognize.

  12. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Kelsey Bjarnason writes:

    > On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:19:42 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:

    >> # ^^^^ *correction*

    >>> Not my taste in tunes, but a novel approach to playing them.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a Windows equivalent, or just a GUI app requiring 12,000 times
    >>> the resources?

    >> That would be WMP (Windows Monopoly Player) + Fraunhofer MP3 codec.
    >> iTuna probably requires 24,000 times as much resources again. Neither
    >> one of them are exactly resource-efficient, nor anywhere near as
    >> powerful and flexible as MPlayer - unless one actually *wants* DRM (I
    >> suppose some do, for some unfathomable reason).

    > Presumably for the same reasons someone would see a professional
    > dominatrix: for the privilege of paying someone to tell them what they
    > can and cannot do.
    >
    > Can't say I understand such a mentality, but it's easy enough to
    > recognize.

    You idiots really think something like this can not work on windows?
    Really?

  13. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-10-02, Hadron wrote:
    > Kelsey Bjarnason writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:19:42 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Kelsey Bjarnason spake thusly:

    >>> # ^^^^ *correction*

    >>> That would be WMP (Windows Monopoly Player) + Fraunhofer MP3 codec.
    >>> iTuna probably requires 24,000 times as much resources again. Neither
    >>> one of them are exactly resource-efficient, nor anywhere near as
    >>> powerful and flexible as MPlayer - unless one actually *wants* DRM (I
    >>> suppose some do, for some unfathomable reason).

    >> Presumably for the same reasons someone would see a professional
    >> dominatrix: for the privilege of paying someone to tell them what they
    >> can and cannot do.
    >>
    >> Can't say I understand such a mentality, but it's easy enough to
    >> recognize.
    >>

    > You idiots really think something like this can not work on windows?
    > Really?

    ...install enough Unix software.

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \

  14. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-10-02, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-10-02, Hadron wrote:
    >> Kelsey Bjarnason writes:

    >>> Presumably for the same reasons someone would see a professional
    >>> dominatrix: for the privilege of paying someone to tell them what they
    >>> can and cannot do.
    >>>
    >>> Can't say I understand such a mentality, but it's easy enough to
    >>> recognize.
    >>>

    >> You idiots really think something like this can not work on windows?
    >> Really?

    > ...install enough Unix software.

    PowerShell and VLC.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  15. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-10-02, Tom Shelton wrote:
    > On 2008-10-02, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> You idiots really think something like this can not work on windows?
    >>> Really?

    >> ...install enough Unix software.
    >>

    > PowerShell and VLC.

    I was thinking more along the lines of mplayer and bash/cygwin.

    --
    My macintosh runs Ubuntu. |||
    / | \

  16. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On 2008-10-02, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-10-02, Tom Shelton wrote:

    >>> ...install enough Unix software.
    >>>

    >> PowerShell and VLC.

    > I was thinking more along the lines of mplayer and bash/cygwin.

    Oh, I know - but, I was given you a solution WITHOUT unix software (vlc is
    cross platform - so, not sure if that counts or not).

    --
    Tom Shelton

  17. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
    > On 2008-10-02, Hadron wrote:

    >> You idiots really think something like this can not work on
    >> windows? Really?

    > ...install enough Unix software.

    Install enough *Free* Software...

    Maybe one day the Trolls and Windows bigots will "get" it.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    03:34:13 up 48 days, 47 min, 4 users, load average: 0.11, 0.19, 0.10

  18. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
    >> On 2008-10-02, Hadron wrote:

    >>> You idiots really think something like this can not work on
    >>> windows? Really?

    >> ...install enough Unix software.

    > Install enough *Free* Software...
    >
    > Maybe one day the Trolls and Windows bigots will "get" it.

    And maybe one day you'll quit using Windows and proprietary software and
    apps and games.

  19. Re: Linux and OSS provide quality easy listening

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 03:34:34 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
    >> On 2008-10-02, Hadron wrote:

    >>> You idiots really think something like this can not work on windows?
    >>> Really?

    >> ...install enough Unix software.

    > Install enough *Free* Software...
    >
    > Maybe one day the Trolls and Windows bigots will "get" it.

    Well they get freebies with Windoze too! Like trojans, viruses, spyware,
    etc. ;-)

    --
    "If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't
    be posting anything right now."
    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2