[News] Report: India Could Give ISO (and Microsoft OOXML) the Boot - Linux

  1. [News] Report: India Could Give ISO (and Microsoft OOXML) the Boot

    Not a standard debate

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | First, IBM is threatening to leave organisations that set standards for
    | software interoperability over concerns that their processes are not always
    | transparent (the ostensible references are to the ISO and Microsoft).
    |
    | Second, according to sources close to the development, the Bureau of Indian
    | Standards (BIS) — which met in New Delhi on the 22nd of this month — is
    | reviewing the ISO transparency issue while simultaneously exploring alternate
    | standards which emerge from bodies like the W3C and the Internet Engineering
    | Task Force (IETF).
    `----

    http://www.business-standard.com/ind...?autono=335446

    Excellent. Having seen the Redmond Bully bribing charities (details below),
    they 'clean up' a bit.

    Recent:

    ODF likely standard for e-governance

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Open Document Format (ODF) could find its way as becoming an open standard
    | for e-governance projects by the Indian government and help its supporters
    | grab key government IT business, according to government officials and
    | industry sources.
    `----

    http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14764211

    India's Draft Policy on Open Standards for e-Governance released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Once this policy is finalized, it will become a part of all future Requests
    | for Proposals (RFPs). A committee has been constituted to review standards on
    | the basis of the mandatory charecteristics required by this policy. The
    | committee's report shows that according to this policy, ODF, OGG, W3C
    | standards etc are some of the standards that meet all the mandatory criteria
    | for open standards. OOXML, MPEG etc *do not* meet these mandatory criteria.
    `----

    http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/09/...-released.html

    Microsoft bails out its Indian managing director

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Neelam Dhawan, Managing Director of Microsoft India, will leave the company
    | as of 30 June. Some media sources cite the Indian ooxml debacle as a reason.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In relation to the failure of Microsoft India to get a positive vote outcome
    | Neelam Dhawan's bail out casts a negative light on the company. If standard
    | setting gets performance based and a standard is not let through due to its
    | technical merits but the fear of managing staff to lose its position it comes
    | at no surprise that the management will fight with all means for the adoption
    | of suboptimal solutions. Microsoft India even filed a complaint against the
    | standard body No vote that caused the outrage.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-65836...aging-director

    India and Brazil File Appeals Against OOXML Standardization

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | India and Brazil have filed appeals against the adoption of the
    | Microsoft-sponsored Office Open XML (OOXML) document format as an
    | international standard.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...rdization.html

    Microsoft India MD joins HP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a major setback to IT giant Microsoft, its India Managing Director(MD)
    | Neelam Dhawan has decided to call it quits and will join Hewlett-Packard
    | (HP).
    `----

    http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3108755.cms

    What's up with Microsoft India?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The CVP, MD and all her direct reports made this company a miserable place to
    | work for! They created a feudal fiefdom for themselves.
    `----

    http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/05...oft-india.html

    Wipro Microsoft alliance is a shame for all Indians – alliance or slavery?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The alliance uses Microsoft technologies instead of challenging Gates in his
    | own game. Wipro is just a servant of Microsoft facilitating Indian cyber
    | slavery under the American corporate banners. *
    `----

    http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/19365.asp

    Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
    | specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
    | IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
    | who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
    | Microsoft pressure tactics.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

    Finally, My open letter on OOXML happenings in India

    ,----[ Quote ]
> [...]
    | maligned and tarnished by Microsoft. My second anguish is that Microsoft
    | persisted in its attempt to pressurize Indian leadership to change the Indian
    | stand, in spite of the fact that a due process established by the Government
    | had completed its job, recommending no change in the Indian vote. These two
    | things, amongst others, have caused me to lose my peace of mind and my sleep
    | over last two months. I share my thoughts (which sometimes have been rather
    | wild), and my anguish in this section.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | To illustrate how someone could react to this mudslinging by Microsoft, I
    | have written a hypothetical complaint titled ‘Microsoft is looting the nation
    | in alliance with Indian IT giants'. While constructing this hypothetical
    | complaint, I have used what I call the ‘Microsoft patented mud-slinging
    | algorithm’. I have included it as a stand alone appendix (Annexure A) to this
    | letter. The purpose is to demonstrate that such complaints and counter
    | complaints would lead all of us to disaster. This hypothetical counter
    | complaint shows Microsoft as working at national and International forums to
    | maintain and enhance its monopoly in global markets, and as attempting to
    | ensure its monopoly strangle-hold on Indian desktop Market. It also paints
    | INFOSYS, TCS, WIPRO and NASSCOM as willfully helping Microsoft in this evil
    | design, and thus acting grossly against Indian National interests. The last
    | one has hit me very hard emotionally, even though the construction was done
    | by myself and it is purely hypothetical. The significant contributions made
    | by these organizations to the Indian IT story are well known. The past and
    | present leaders of these organizations are icons of modern India. I have the
    | privilege of knowing them closely and being counted amongst their friends. I
    | am sure that a large number of my countrymen will react very strongly if
    | anyone was to really engage in such slander against them. I will be one
    | personally eager to counter any such foolish attempts to malign these great
    | names. These people and their Institutions are and must be treated with
    | genuine respect.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If no citation from the new standard (as on 20th March 2008) is available
    | from these members, should the nation now conclude that these 4 organizations
    | deliberately acted against Indian national interests? If there is any
    | evidence of support now found to have been given by any one of these 4
    | organizations to the efforts of Microsoft to pressurize the Indian Government
    | to change our vote, should the nation now conclude that there indeed is
    | a ‘secret alliance with Microsoft to loot the country’?
    |
    | Hard questions friends, with no easy answers.
    |
    | In conclusion, I will reiterate that my anguish, caused by Microsoft by
    | slandering Individuals and organizations represented on committee LITD 15 of
    `----

    http://deepakphatak.blogspot.com/2008/05/this-is.html

  2. Re: [News] Report: India Could Give ISO (and Microsoft OOXML) theBoot

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Not a standard debate
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| First, IBM is threatening to leave organisations that set standards for
    >| software interoperability over concerns that their processes are not always
    >| transparent (the ostensible references are to the ISO and Microsoft).
    >|
    >| Second, according to sources close to the development, the Bureau of Indian
    >| Standards (BIS) — which met in New Delhi on the 22nd of this month — is
    >| reviewing the ISO transparency issue while simultaneously exploring alternate
    >| standards which emerge from bodies like the W3C and the Internet Engineering
    >| Task Force (IETF).
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.business-standard.com/ind...?autono=335446
    >
    > Excellent. Having seen the Redmond Bully bribing charities (details below),
    > they 'clean up' a bit.

    The IETF is notorious for its inherent corruptability. It's dominated by a
    handful of companies, voting has few, if any, rules, and there is a
    "first past the post" culture to approve any old rubbish in order that
    companies can get in first.

    W3C is much cleaner, and did step away from the RAND provisions,
    although more recent acts, including failing to add .ogg to their next
    generation web standards indicate another organisation going through
    another vendor-driven crisis.