[News] Dutch Patent Office Moves to Free Software - Linux

  1. [News] Dutch Patent Office Moves to Free Software

    The Netherlands Patent Office changes to open source software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Netherlands Patent Office is the first government authority to implement
    | the ‘Nederland Open in Connection' action plan and to switch a large number
    | of its ICT systems to what is known as open source software. As the first
    | step, Frank Heemskerk, minister of Foreign Affairs launched the new website
    | of the Netherlands Patent Office today, which is based on open source
    | software. By the end of 2009, the entire office environment, including
    | desktop computer systems and the relationship management system will be
    | running on the basis of open source software.
    `----

    http://en.octrooicentrum.nl/

    Recent:

    IBM Sells 60 Teraflops Power6-Linux Super in Holland

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Server maker IBM has spent more than a decade taking on the supercomputer
    | market, and has become one of the big dogs, if not the big dog, when it comes
    | to building different styles of high performance computer clusters. Last
    | week, the company announced its first big Power6-based Power 575
    | supercomputer running Linux, nicknamed Huygens after the famous Dutch
    | scientist, which was sold to SARA Computing and Networking, the national
    | supercomputing network built and managed by the national government in The
    | Netherlands. * * *
    `----

    http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb071508-story02.html

    Open source tour of Europe: The Netherlands

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At a national level the Patent Office and the Competition Authority became
    | the first national government bodies to start their migrations to Linux on
    | the desktop, while the second chamber of parliament began a small-scale open
    | source desktop trial in June.
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...e-netherlands/

    NL: Administrative Court publishes automatic document conversion tool

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Dutch Council of State is willing to open source its application that can
    | centrally convert documents between open formats and proprietary formats,
    | said Marcel Pennock, the tool's developer, Wednesday at a conference on Open
    | Document Format (ODF) in Utrecht.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The tools converts Microsoft documents to Open Document Format and the other
    | way around. Documents can also be saved as Portable Document Format (pdf).
    | The council's IT department is also considering a document management system
    | that will be using the conversion tool. "We have not decided if that document
    | system will be built as Open Source or not. For the past fifteen years we
    | have been working with proprietary documents. Changing that is not done
    | instantly."
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7638/469

    NL: Use of Open Source software requires no European IT tenders

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | European public administrations that want to use software that is offered for
    | free, such as Open Source software, do not need to organise a call for
    | tender. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | According to Wijnen-Meijer the translation is well-received. "At a recent
    | Open Source conference in the US, copies were picked up quickly by companies.
    | We also have had requests from cities and ministries in Germany and Greece." *
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7549

    Interview with NOiV's Maarten Wijnen-Meijer on Study on Gov't Acquisition of OS
    Software - Pick Your Brains

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Dutch study has recently been translated and published in English, "The
    | acquisition of (open-source) software", by Nederland Open in Verbinding
    | (NOiV), which finds that in Europe, gratis software does not require
    | tendering and so gratis Open Source software can be freely downloaded without
    | having to go through the usual purchase process. If service is required, that
    | service would, however, require going through the normal purchasing process,
    | but as a separate matter.
    `----

    Related:

    Dutch "government ISV" adds ODF support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apparently the adoption of ODF by the City of Heerenveen and the City of
    | Groningen had some impact on the decision. *
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/du...t_isv_adds_odf

    FOSS in Dutch government

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There will be an office where people can complain if they cannot communicate
    | with the government using open standards. So non-compliance of government
    | agencies will be measured. *
    `----

    http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3142

    Dutch government threatens to sideline Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Proposed legislation that would mandate the use of the Open Document Format
    | (ODF) across the entire Dutch government has infuriated Microsoft.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft Netherlands has engaged in fierce lobbying in an attempt to derail
    | the plan. The company argues that the current definition is too narrow,
    | specifically by mandating ODF rather than open standards in general *
    `----

    http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12...ex.phpon-linux

    Netherlands Picks ODF

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Frank Heemskerk, Minister of Economic Affairs, announced today that ODF will
    | be the standard for reading, publishing and the exchange of information for
    | all governmental organisations. The deadline is January 2009. *
    `----

    http://gotze.eu/2007/09/netherlands-picks-odf.html

  2. Re: [News] Dutch Patent Office Moves to Free Software

    this bit o' wisdom:

    > ____/ Matt on Friday 03 October 2008 22:08 : \____
    >
    >>> Pretty much the entire government (and public sector) there will be
    >>> gradually moving to FOSS, unless things are changed. Microsoft got slapped a
    >>> lot around April for virtually bullying the country to change its mind. I
    >>> could find the articles if you are interested. It was utterly disgusting.

    >> Yes, thanks, I'd like to see something about that.

    > http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-31230...he-netherlands
    >
    > It is hard to believe, but Heise reports that Microsoft was
    > threatening the Dutch government to sue it before the European
    > Court of Juctice which would be a competition case.

    A nice little link at the site above points to this other site:

    http://www.insults.net/html/swear/dutch.html

    Could help when reading a post from the Clogster.

    --
    All things are either sacred or profane.
    The former to ecclesiasts bring gain;

+ Reply to Thread