Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed? - Linux

This is a discussion on Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed? - Linux ; Some interesting opinions in this article. http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...J5bVZaKMYjtBAF San Francisco - Linux is enjoying growth, with a contingent of devotees too large to be called a cult following at this point. Solaris, meanwhile, has thrived as a longstanding, primary Unix platform ...

  1. Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed?

    Some interesting opinions in this article.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...J5bVZaKMYjtBAF

    San Francisco - Linux is enjoying growth, with a contingent of devotees too
    large to be called a cult following at this point. Solaris, meanwhile, has
    thrived as a longstanding, primary Unix platform geared to enterprises. But
    with Linux the object of all the buzz in the industry, can Sun's rival
    Solaris Unix OS hang on, or is it destined to be displaced by Linux
    altogether?

    The case for Solaris's demise
    Sun officials believe the 16-year-old Solaris platform remains a pivotal,
    innovative platform. But at the Linux Foundation, there is a no-conciliatory
    stance; the attitude there is to tell Solaris and Sun to move out of the
    way. "The future is Linux and Microsoft Windows," says foundation Executive
    Director Jim Zemlin. "It is not Unix or Solaris."

  2. Re: Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed?

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Joe Potter belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Some interesting opinions in this article.
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...J5bVZaKMYjtBAF
    >
    > San Francisco - Linux is enjoying growth, with a contingent of devotees too
    > large to be called a cult following at this point. Solaris, meanwhile, has
    > thrived as a longstanding, primary Unix platform geared to enterprises. But
    > with Linux the object of all the buzz in the industry, can Sun's rival
    > Solaris Unix OS hang on, or is it destined to be displaced by Linux
    > altogether?
    >
    > The case for Solaris's demise
    > Sun officials believe the 16-year-old Solaris platform remains a pivotal,
    > innovative platform. But at the Linux Foundation, there is a no-conciliatory
    > stance; the attitude there is to tell Solaris and Sun to move out of the
    > way. "The future is Linux and Microsoft Windows," says foundation Executive
    > Director Jim Zemlin. "It is not Unix or Solaris."

    Sort of a public troll article (trolling both sides ).

    One anecdote from the article:

    Gracenote, which provides a media recognition and metadata service
    for MP3 users (the CDDB database familiar to iTunes users), agrees.
    "We found the threading model in Linux was problematic. You get to a
    certain number of concurrent threads and the OS just slows way down,"
    says Matthew Leeds, vice president of operations at Gracenote.??
    Solaris "just works for us."

    And I've seen streams managed by a Solaris box. But many servers use
    Linux. The anecdote makes me wonder if the guy has tried a
    custom-configured 2.6 kernel.

    --
    All I know is what the words know, and dead things, and that
    makes a handsome little sum, with a beginning and a middle and

  3. Re: Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed?

    "Chris Ahlstrom" wrote in message
    news8LCk.33833$XB4.20188@bignews9.bellsouth.net...
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Joe Potter belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Some interesting opinions in this article.
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...J5bVZaKMYjtBAF
    >>
    >> San Francisco - Linux is enjoying growth, with a contingent of devotees
    >> too
    >> large to be called a cult following at this point. Solaris, meanwhile,
    >> has
    >> thrived as a longstanding, primary Unix platform geared to enterprises.
    >> But
    >> with Linux the object of all the buzz in the industry, can Sun's rival
    >> Solaris Unix OS hang on, or is it destined to be displaced by Linux
    >> altogether?
    >>
    >> The case for Solaris's demise
    >> Sun officials believe the 16-year-old Solaris platform remains a pivotal,
    >> innovative platform. But at the Linux Foundation, there is a
    >> no-conciliatory
    >> stance; the attitude there is to tell Solaris and Sun to move out of the
    >> way. "The future is Linux and Microsoft Windows," says foundation
    >> Executive
    >> Director Jim Zemlin. "It is not Unix or Solaris."

    > Sort of a public troll article (trolling both sides ).

    It's actually neither side. To me it's just an OS - not a family member.

    > One anecdote from the article:
    >
    > Gracenote, which provides a media recognition and metadata service
    > for MP3 users (the CDDB database familiar to iTunes users), agrees.
    > "We found the threading model in Linux was problematic. You get to a
    > certain number of concurrent threads and the OS just slows way down,"
    > says Matthew Leeds, vice president of operations at Gracenote.??
    > Solaris "just works for us."

    I don't know what the timeline was for his quot about the Linux threading
    model but I know that Redhat 3.x was absolutely terrible when it came to
    threading. It was all fixed in RH 4.x but if Gracenot used RH3 then I could
    understand why they feel this way.

    > And I've seen streams managed by a Solaris box. But many servers use
    > Linux. The anecdote makes me wonder if the guy has tried a
    > custom-configured 2.6 kernel.

    IMO both Solaris and Linux are capable right now. Threading, virtual memory
    and just about everything else is comparable on both OSs. I'd give a slight
    overall lead to Solaris because of support for Zones but the gap, if there
    is a gap, is being closed rapidly by Linux. In 3-5 years I think that Linux
    will have an advantage over Solaris in every significant area.

    > --
    > All I know is what the words know, and dead things, and that
    > makes a handsome little sum, with a beginning and a middle and
    > an end, as in the well-built phrase and the long sonata of the dead.
    > -- Samuel Beckett

  4. Re: Is Sun Solaris on its deathbed?

    Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Joe Potter belched out this bit o'
    > wisdom:

    >> "The future is Linux and Microsoft Windows," says foundation
    >> Executive Director Jim Zemlin. "It is not Unix or Solaris."

    I've never liked Slowlaris, mainly because of that abomination called
    the CDDL, and I even wrote a less than stellar review of it once, but
    I'd hate to see it disappear completely. Every platform yields *some*
    worthy innovations (with the possible exception of Windows), and it's
    good to have that diversity to keep the momentum of technology going.

    > And I've seen streams managed by a Solaris box. But many servers use
    > Linux. The anecdote makes me wonder if the guy has tried a
    > custom-configured 2.6 kernel.

    Given Gracenote's attitudes and methods[*], I'd imagine they're the
    kind of people who spit at the mere mention of Free Software, much less
    revel in the joys of having the freedom to customise one's own kernel.
    [*] http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/02/1955245

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    00:03:02 up 41 days, 21:16, 4 users, load average: 1.56, 0.89, 0.35

+ Reply to Thread