[News] [Rival] Microsoft Dumped by A$$ociated Pre$$ - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Dumped by A$$ociated Pre$$

    AP dumps Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Until now AP used Microsoft's MSN media player to distribute videos. Vole
    | flogged ads alongside the material, sharing the revenue with AP.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...umps-microsoft

    Recent:

    Microsoft Slaps PC Gamers, Decides to Close Ensemble Studios

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Despite its legacy of producing some of the very finest strategy games with
    | its Age of Empire and Age of Mythology series, Microsoft decided that it
    | would be financially disadvantageous to continue to operate the wholly-owned
    | Ensemble Studios.
    `----

    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mic...ires,6343.html

    Microsoft shuts down Ensemble Studios

    http://www.techspot.com/news/31575-m...e-studios.html

    Microsoft Burns Down Book Search

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Citing poor demand, Microsoft will back away from scanning and indexing books
    | and academic works for Live Search
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...wn-book-search

    EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
    | Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
    | apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
    | Zune music player.
    `----

    MSN Music Debacle Highlights EULA Dangers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MSN Music’s EULA is a case in point. When active, MSN Music's webpage touted
    | that customers could “choose their device and know its going to work”.
    |
    | But when customers went to purchase songs, they were shown legalese that
    | stated the download service and the content provided were sold without
    | warrantee. In other words, Microsoft doesn't promise you that the service or
    | the music will work, or that you will always have access to music you bought.
    | The flashy advertising promised your music, your way, but the fine print
    | said, our way or the highway.
    `----

    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05...s-eula-dangers

    When DRM detonates your music collection

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is all down to the digital rights management (DRM) software that Microsoft
    | has embedded in all its music downloads to combat illegal file-sharing. For
    | DRM to work it needs a central computer to keep a live record of who has
    | registered which songs to which computers. The problem is that the main
    | server is now being turned off as the company wants to sell downloads with a
    | new type of DRM. How odd that the old system was marketed as PlaysForSure.
    `----

    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle3898784.ece

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Dumped by A$$ociated Pre$$

    > AP dumps Microsoft

    [...]
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...umps-microsoft

    Jane Seagrave, the AP's senior vice president of global product
    development, said Vole was not headed in any direction AP could follow
    these days and was not going to be able to provide the AP with the
    technical support it needed for the network.

    On the plus side, AP will have the ability to send out higher-quality
    videos, and give affiliates that post the videos on their sites more
    flexibility in how they use the content.

    So according to AP MS lacks direction; quality; flexibility and support.

    Took them long enough to figure that out, didn't it?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    10:48:47 up 41 days, 8:01, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

+ Reply to Thread