[News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer - Linux

  1. [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    Sept 24 Is World Day Against Software Patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/09/23/2228237.shtml

    http://www.ibiblio.org/patents/txt/020294.txt

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Oracle Corporation opposes the patentability of software. The Company
    | believes that existing copyright law and available trade secret
    | protections, as opposed to patent law, are better suited to protecting
    | computer software developments.
    |
    | […]
    |
    | Compared to adequate copyright and trade secret protections, patent
    | protection is excessively broad and enormously expensive.
    |
    | CHANGING THE PATENT SYSTEM
    |
    | Oracle has recommended that patent protection not be provided for
    | computer software or computer software algorithms, for the reasons
    | described above.
    `----

    Recent:

    Oracle joins Linux patent commons

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OIN members -- which currently include IBM, NEC, Novell, Philips,
    | Red Hat, and Sony -- agree to assign software patents that might
    | affect Linux to the OIN. These patents can then be used by anyone
    | in Linux without having to pay any royalty fees or having to worry
    | about future law suits.
    `----

    Old:

    Inside Oracle's bombshell plan to support Red Hat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Could you briefly describe what Oracle is doing with regard to
    | Red Hat Linux?
    |
    | Tony Iams: Oracle is exploiting the open source business model
    | to try and offer a competitive alternative to Red Hat for
    | supporting Linux. This is something that is clearly enabled by
    | the open source model where a vendor such as Red Hat offers a
    | product that virtually anyone else can recreate under their
    | own brand. They can take the exact same technology that Red
    | Hat has and offer their own version of it, under their own
    | brand, and with their own support program, without having to
    | become too deeply involved with the development.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Oracle says it will provide full indemnification or legal
    | protections for its users. Do you expect Oracle to provide
    | better legal protections than Red Hat and other Linux
    | distribution providers?
    |
    | Iams: It's not clear. The [intellectual property] questions
    | here run quite deep and are potentially quite far reaching
    | when you examine the impact of patents and so on. And Oracle
    | clearly has a lot of intellectual property and thus they're
    | in a position to provide some degree of protection. But they
    | compete with Microsoft as well and so to what extent they're
    | going to take sides in this potential conflict remains to be
    | seen. Anytime there is a risk of a patent war starting you
    | have to look at where the arsenals of patents are and who
    | might potentially participate and take which side and I think
    | it's too early to tell.
    `----

    http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/o...232341,00.html

  2. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a PatentSlammer

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Oracle Corporation opposes the patentability of software. The Company
    > | believes that existing copyright law and available trade secret
    > | protections, as opposed to patent law, are better suited to protecting
    > | computer software developments.
    > |
    > | […]
    > |
    > | Compared to adequate copyright and trade secret protections, patent
    > | protection is excessively broad and enormously expensive.
    > |
    > | CHANGING THE PATENT SYSTEM
    > |
    > | Oracle has recommended that patent protection not be provided for
    > | computer software or computer software algorithms, for the reasons
    > | described above.
    > `----

    Oracle have just gone up in my estimation.

  3. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Oracle Corporation opposes the patentability of software. The
    >> Company | believes that existing copyright law and available
    >> trade secret | protections, as opposed to patent law, are better
    >> suited to protecting | computer software developments. | |
    >> […]
    >> patent | protection is excessively broad and enormously
    >> expensive. | | CHANGING THE PATENT SYSTEM
    >> provided for | computer software or computer software
    >> algorithms, for the reasons | described above. `----

    > Oracle have just gone up in my estimation.

    You are a fickle little fan boy aren't you?

    ,----
    | http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_patents.htm
    |
    | This web site has a complete list of Oracle related patents, over 4,000
    | patents relating to Oracle database technology. There are over 100
    | patents relating specifically to Oracle Materialized View techniques.
    | We also see over 400 patents held by Oracle Corporation.
    |
    | Technically, software patents are unique inventions, and we see a host
    | of Oracle-related inventions on this web site:
    `----

    They are just throwing out sound bites to appease the limp.

  4. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a PatentSlammer

    Hadron wrote:
    > "Phil Da Lick!" writes:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Company | believes that existing copyright law and available
    >>> trade secret | protections, as opposed to patent law, are better
    >>> suited to protecting | computer software developments. | |
    >>> […]
    >>> patent | protection is excessively broad and enormously
    >>> expensive. | | CHANGING THE PATENT SYSTEM
    >>> provided for | computer software or computer software
    >>> algorithms, for the reasons | described above. `----

    >> Oracle have just gone up in my estimation.

    > You are a fickle little fan boy aren't you?

    Of freedom? No. Nothing fickle about it, it's rock solid.

  5. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> Oracle have just gone up in my estimation.

    >> You are a fickle little fan boy aren't you?

    > Of freedom? No. Nothing fickle about it, it's rock solid.

    Oh! You snipped the links to the Oracle patents they have used for the
    past 20 years to become billionaires. Here, let me put it back in again
    for you:

    --
    "I program Windows systems yes. But I am not a Windows user."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA.

  6. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

  7. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a PatentSlammer

    Hadron wrote:
    >> Of freedom? No. Nothing fickle about it, it's rock solid.

    > Oh! You snipped the links to the Oracle patents they have used for the
    > past 20 years to become billionaires. Here, let me put it back in again
    > for you:

    You are such a dumbass. I said they'd gone up in my estimation. I didn't
    stipulate at which level they were, or currently are.

  8. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    > Hadron snotted:
    >>
    >> Oh! You snipped the links to the Oracle patents they have used for the
    >> past 20 years to become billionaires.

    Dumb****. I would suppose that they felt that they HAD TO collect a
    "war chest" of patents as a defensive measure, because everyone else
    is, too.

    That's the "excuse" that you Micro$oft lovers give for their
    collecting of patents. "They never plan on using them offensively",
    we are told.

    They can still collect patents while lobbying against them. No
    hypocrisy there, you stupid POS.

  9. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a PatentSlammer

    chrisv wrote:
    >> Hadron snotted:
    >>> Oh! You snipped the links to the Oracle patents they have used for the
    >>> past 20 years to become billionaires.

    > Dumb****. I would suppose that they felt that they HAD TO collect a
    > "war chest" of patents as a defensive measure, because everyone else
    > is, too.
    >
    > That's the "excuse" that you Micro$oft lovers give for their
    > collecting of patents. "They never plan on using them offensively",
    > we are told.
    >
    > They can still collect patents while lobbying against them. No
    > hypocrisy there, you stupid POS.

    Funny how all the wintrolls take a riligious "black or white" approach.
    You either 100% draconian or 100% "freeloader". Idiots.

  10. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

  11. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    In article <1398079.QovUVZI7x5@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > They are already in OIN, so it's unlikely that they'll ever use
    > patents against something like MySQL. Microsoft, on the other hand,
    > they can attack with their patents shall Microsoft not attack by
    > proxy (Intellectual Vultures or Acacia-soft).

    So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft attacking
    anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real, documented, instance.
    Not one based on your thoroughly discredited theory that Acacia works
    for Microsoft).

    --
    --Tim Smith

  12. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:44:18 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1398079.QovUVZI7x5@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> They are already in OIN, so it's unlikely that they'll ever use
    >> patents against something like MySQL. Microsoft, on the other hand,
    >> they can attack with their patents shall Microsoft not attack by
    >> proxy (Intellectual Vultures or Acacia-soft).

    > So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft attacking
    > anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real, documented, instance.
    > Not one based on your thoroughly discredited theory that Acacia works
    > for Microsoft).

    Facts seem to bother him for some strange reason.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    On 2008-09-25, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article <1398079.QovUVZI7x5@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> They are already in OIN, so it's unlikely that they'll ever use
    >> patents against something like MySQL. Microsoft, on the other hand,
    >> they can attack with their patents shall Microsoft not attack by
    >> proxy (Intellectual Vultures or Acacia-soft).

    > So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft attacking
    > anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real, documented, instance.
    > Not one based on your thoroughly discredited theory that Acacia works
    > for Microsoft).

    Ballmer has threatened Linux users with patents:

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsid=7376

    Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has sparked controversy by declaring that
    Linux infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.

    Answering questions after a speech at a conference in Seattle, Ballmer
    said Microsoft had been motivated to sign a deal with SuSE Linux
    distributor Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our
    intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate
    economic return for our shareholders from our innovation."

    Now doesn't that sound like the mafia boss embarking on extortion?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  14. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    Gregory Shearman writes:

    > On 2008-09-25, Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article <1398079.QovUVZI7x5@schestowitz.com>,
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> They are already in OIN, so it's unlikely that they'll ever use
    >>> patents against something like MySQL. Microsoft, on the other hand,
    >>> they can attack with their patents shall Microsoft not attack by
    >>> proxy (Intellectual Vultures or Acacia-soft).

    >> So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft attacking
    >> anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real, documented, instance.
    >> Not one based on your thoroughly discredited theory that Acacia works
    >> for Microsoft).
    >>

    > Ballmer has threatened Linux users with patents:
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsid=7376
    >
    > Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has sparked controversy by declaring that
    > Linux infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.
    >
    > Answering questions after a speech at a conference in Seattle, Ballmer
    > said Microsoft had been motivated to sign a deal with SuSE Linux
    > distributor Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our
    > intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate
    > economic return for our shareholders from our innovation."
    >
    > ================================================== =================
    >
    > Now doesn't that sound like the mafia boss embarking on extortion?

    No. It sounds like someone warning competitors not to steal their hard
    work and not expect to pony up.

    Tell me , when the company you work for "steals your time" do you expect
    to get paid?

    --
    "Don't like Linux.. don't use it. Simple."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp

  15. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a PatentSlammer

    Verily I say unto thee, that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:
    > On 2008-09-25, Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article <1398079.QovUVZI7x5@schestowitz.com>, Roy Schestowitz
    >> wrote:

    >>> They are already in OIN, so it's unlikely that they'll ever use
    >>> patents against something like MySQL. Microsoft, on the other
    >>> hand, they can attack with their patents shall Microsoft not
    >>> attack by proxy (Intellectual Vultures or Acacia-soft).

    >> So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft
    >> attacking anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real,
    >> documented, instance. Not one based on your thoroughly discredited
    >> theory that Acacia works for Microsoft).

    Considering the ex-Microsoft senior management at Acacia, I'd say it's
    more than just "theory". The Acacia suit against the Vole was little
    more than a smokescreen.

    > Ballmer has threatened Linux users with patents:
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsid=7376

    They also funded SCO's attack on Linux, but that was copyrights not patents.

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween10.html

    > Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has sparked controversy by declaring that
    > Linux infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.
    >
    > Answering questions after a speech at a conference in Seattle,
    > Ballmer said Microsoft had been motivated to sign a deal with SuSE
    > Linux distributor Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our
    > intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate
    > economic return for our shareholders from our innovation."
    >
    > ================================================== =================
    >
    > Now doesn't that sound like the mafia boss embarking on extortion?

    Yes.

    But Smith is right, the Vole doesn't litigate for patent infringements.
    They get much more mileage out of FUD, and their Shills (and Shells) do
    the grunt work.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:34:42 up 41 days, 20:47, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.04

  16. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    In article ,
    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > > So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft attacking
    > > anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real, documented, instance.
    > > Not one based on your thoroughly discredited theory that Acacia works
    > > for Microsoft).
    > >

    > Ballmer has threatened Linux users with patents:
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsid=7376

    That's about as meaningful as a politician promising to cut taxes. Can
    you point to any instance of them actually following through on the
    talk, and suing anyone?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  17. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    In article <7m40r5-tpd.ln1@sky.matrix>, Homer
    wrote:
    > >> So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft
    > >> attacking anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real,
    > >> documented, instance. Not one based on your thoroughly discredited
    > >> theory that Acacia works for Microsoft).

    > Considering the ex-Microsoft senior management at Acacia, I'd say it's
    > more than just "theory". The Acacia suit against the Vole was little
    > more than a smokescreen.

    There's ex-Microsoft senior management at Google, too. Do you think
    Google works for Microsoft?

    Roy based his entire "Acacia is a front end for Microsoft" theory on the
    fact that one lawyer and one manager at Acacia once worked at Microsoft,
    and Acacia has a lawsuit going against a couple open source companies.

    Acacia has many lawyers and managers, who have worked at many other
    companies before they ended up at Acacia. Looking at a few from their
    corporate info page, I see one who was a research engineer at IBM, a
    program manager at Intel, and an IP and corporate law attorney at one of
    the most important law firms in the country before he went to Acacia. I
    see another who was manager of software development at Cray Research,
    then Director of Software Development at Sun, before going to Acacia.

    Do you really think Microsoft is *actually* organized like the Borg,
    with everyone plugged into a group mind, and every time someone goes
    from Microsoft to another company, they are still connected to the hive,
    and it's all part of the plan? (Roy thinks that, it seems).

    The fact is people leave Microsoft for the same reason the leave Sun,
    and Google, and IBM, and Red Hat, and Oracle, and all the rest. Most
    likely that senior MS lawyer moved to Acacia for the simple reason that
    the work was probably more interesting. Think for a moment what it must
    be like for a lawyer at Microsoft. You're always dealing with people
    attacking you--people suing you for patent violation, or threatening to
    do so, regulators all over the place, and so on. And when you do get
    sued, they are going to bring in outside counsel to handle all the fun
    stuff--the best you can hope for is to be the MS lawyer supervising the
    case, but all that means is that you provide high level input. It's the
    people from the litigation firm that get to do the cool lawyer stuff.

    Now think what he probably gets to do at Acacia. He's probably much
    closer to litigation, and making more tactical decisions, instead of
    just high level directional decisions.

    Roy also ignores the fact that the lawsuit against a couple open source
    companies was clearly in the works long before that particular manager
    and that particular lawyer came to Acacia. Check the patent assignment
    database at the patent office. Acacia acquired the patents in suit a
    long before the suit.

    It takes years from the time you acquire a patent to reach the point of
    filing suit, so it is likely they've been working on it since close to
    the time they acquired the patents.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  18. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    On 2008-09-26, Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:
    >> On 2008-09-25, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft
    >>> attacking anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real,
    >>> documented, instance. Not one based on your thoroughly discredited
    >>> theory that Acacia works for Microsoft).

    > Considering the ex-Microsoft senior management at Acacia, I'd say it's
    > more than just "theory". The Acacia suit against the Vole was little
    > more than a smokescreen.
    >
    >> Ballmer has threatened Linux users with patents:
    >>
    >> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsid=7376

    > They also funded SCO's attack on Linux, but that was copyrights not patents.
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween10.html
    >
    >> Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has sparked controversy by declaring that
    >> Linux infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.
    >>
    >> Answering questions after a speech at a conference in Seattle,
    >> Ballmer said Microsoft had been motivated to sign a deal with SuSE
    >> Linux distributor Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our
    >> intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate
    >> economic return for our shareholders from our innovation."
    >>
    >> ================================================== =================
    >>
    >> Now doesn't that sound like the mafia boss embarking on extortion?

    > Yes.
    >
    > But Smith is right, the Vole doesn't litigate for patent infringements.
    > They get much more mileage out of FUD, and their Shills (and Shells) do
    > the grunt work.

    But this is still an attack using patents. It was a very successful
    attack in that Suse and Novell both rolled over.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  19. Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

    On 2008-09-27, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> > So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft attacking
    >> > anyone with a software patent? (I mean a real, documented, instance.
    >> > Not one based on your thoroughly discredited theory that Acacia works
    >> > for Microsoft).
    >> >

    >> Ballmer has threatened Linux users with patents:
    >>
    >> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...fm?newsid=7376

    > That's about as meaningful as a politician promising to cut taxes. Can
    > you point to any instance of them actually following through on the
    > talk, and suing anyone?

    Not at all necessary... as in the case of lawyers threatening, and then
    getting a "settlement".

    SuSe rolled over and accepted Ballmer's FUD...

    That's all that is required... Ballmer attacks, using "patents"... Linux
    distros roll over and accept the Microsoft overlord.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power