[News] [News] Proprietary GNU/Linux 'Enhancements': PowerDVD, Cedega 6.1 - Linux

  1. [News] [News] Proprietary GNU/Linux 'Enhancements': PowerDVD, Cedega 6.1

    A Review of PowerDVD Linux – expensive, but just works

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As much as we hate to say this, PowerDVD is damn nice. There was no setup
    | required, and it was reliable as all hell. While some distros (eg, Linux
    | Mint) come out of the box with Open-Source DVD players, PowerDVDs colors
    | simply looked a lot better. None of the weird stuff - automatic playing,
    | subtitles, menuing, slow motion - was a problem.
    `----

    http://venturecake.com/a-review-of-p...ut-just-works/

    TransGaming Launches Cedega 6.1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | TransGaming Inc. (TSX VENTURE:TNG), today announced the release of Cedega
    | 6.1, allowing some of the latest and hottest PC games to run on the Linux
    | operating system.
    `----

    http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...NG-903295.html

    Related:

    User revolt forces Digg copyright retreat

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The decision by Digg.com, a ?Web 2.0? site that relies on users to
    | act as editors of news stories, came after users rebelled by voting
    | for stories featuring a 32-digit key that can be used to hack
    | HD-DVD copy protection.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | AACS, whose founders include Microsoft, Intel, IBM and Walt Disney,
    | declined to comment.
    `----

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/08b10610-f8c...b5df10621.html

    First measures taken against HD-DVD copy software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The online platform for open-source projects Sourceforge has taken
    | the project web page of BackupHDDVD offline. In the Forum of
    | Doom9 "noclip" reports that Sourceforge was notified that
    | BackupHDDVD violated the US Digital Millennium Copyright Acta
    | nd having received a takedown notice had complied by taking
    | the source code of BackupHDDVD offline.
    `----

    DVD Playback In Vista: It All Depends

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This isn't really news if you've been paying attention to the fine print
    | about what is and what isn't available in the various editions of Windows
    | Vista. In fact it is just another in what seems like an increasing line of
    | curiosities regarding Vista functionality, as we wait for software vendors
    | and driver developers to catch up. It seems there is a bit of a Catch 22
    | regarding DVD playback at the moment.
    `----

    http://www.gottabemobile.com/DVDPlay...llDepends.aspx

    InterVideo And Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | InterVideo is best known as a software company that makes DVD and
    | video software for PCs. Tens of millions of people have InterVideo
    | software on their computers.
    `----

    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/LinDVD.jsp

    Cedega 6.1 Beta Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Back in February we shared that Cedega 6.1 was soon to be in beta and
    | yesterday it finally arrived. The first beta release of Transgaming's Cedega
    | 6.1 (codenamed "Tovik") is now available. Cedega 6.1 ships with support for
    | Shader Model 3.0, new game capabilities, stability improvements, performance
    | enhancements, and more.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._61_beta&num=1

    Cedega 6.0 Performance Preview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For those new to Linux or the yet to be converts, Cedega is an
    | application that emulates Microsoft's DirectX and allows the user to
    | play a variety of games within Linux that otherwise wouldn't be
    | possible.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=681&num=1

    Cedega 6.0 - Review

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Overall, I am quite pleased with the install process. It was a
    | matter of untaring the files to / and running the simple setup.
    | I didn't run into any problems, so hopefully your experience will be
    | similar. With installation out of the way, let's check out the GUI and
    | features, then finally then move onto testing.
    `----

    http://techgage.com/article/cedega_60

  2. Re: [News] [News] Proprietary GNU/Linux 'Enhancements': PowerDVD,Cedega 6.1

    > A Review of PowerDVD Linux – expensive, but just works

    Does it support 251 video codecs, including x264 and Theora?
    Does it support 121 audio codecs, including Ogg Vorbis and AAC?
    Does it transcode media between any of those 372 codecs?
    Does it support 25 video output targets, including console (cvidix)?
    Does it support 8 audio output targets, including hardware decoding?
    Does it have 75 video filters, including logo and black frame detection?
    Does it have 25 audio filters, including karaoke and runtime ac3?
    Does it allow me to skip back and forward using the left and right keys?
    Does it allow me to skip chapters using the up and down keys?
    Does it allow me to pause/resume using the space bar?
    Does it allow me to adjust the volume just by scrolling the touchpad?
    Is it free (cost)?
    Is it Free (licence)?
    Can I modify this program to suit my needs?
    Are there versions for architectures like MC68k; PPC; ARM and AMD64?
    Does it have a mailing list for users and developers?
    Does it have a bugzilla system for reporting bugs?
    Does it have a community of volunteers providing free support?
    Does it allow me to make backups of my fragile DVDs?

    No?

    MPlayer does.

    Next!

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    18:39:57 up 41 days, 15:52, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

  3. Re: [News] [News] Proprietary GNU/Linux 'Enhancements': PowerDVD, Cedega 6.1

    "Homer" wrote in message

    >> A Review of PowerDVD Linux - expensive, but just works

    > Does it support 251 video codecs, including x264 and Theora?
    > Does it support 121 audio codecs, including Ogg Vorbis and AAC?
    > Does it transcode media between any of those 372 codecs?
    > Does it support 25 video output targets, including console (cvidix)?
    > Does it support 8 audio output targets, including hardware decoding?
    > Does it have 75 video filters, including logo and black frame detection?
    > Does it have 25 audio filters, including karaoke and runtime ac3?
    > Does it allow me to skip back and forward using the left and right keys?
    > Does it allow me to skip chapters using the up and down keys?
    > Does it allow me to pause/resume using the space bar?
    > Does it allow me to adjust the volume just by scrolling the touchpad?
    > Is it free (cost)?
    > Is it Free (licence)?
    > Can I modify this program to suit my needs?
    > Are there versions for architectures like MC68k; PPC; ARM and AMD64?
    > Does it have a mailing list for users and developers?
    > Does it have a bugzilla system for reporting bugs?
    > Does it have a community of volunteers providing free support?
    > Does it allow me to make backups of my fragile DVDs?
    >
    > No?
    >
    > MPlayer does.
    >
    > Next!

    When somebody else posted that comment on the page you left out the editors
    reply -

    Editor: If only it worked out of the box, had a pleasant UI, and its
    developers weren't such a cantankerous bunch of pricks.

    And what's with the complaining about the price. I own ties that cost more
    than this.

    - "At $49 US, it's damn expensive, but we don't regret our purchase at all."

    > --
    > K.
    > http://slated.org
    >
    > .----
    > | "At the time, I thought C was the most elegant language and Java
    > | the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
    > | weeks after initial exposure to Lisp." ~ Constantine Vetoshev
    > `----
    >
    > Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.25.11-60.fc8
    > 18:39:57 up 41 days, 15:52, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

  4. Re: [News] [News] Proprietary GNU/Linux 'Enhancements': PowerDVD, Cedega 6.1

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:40:22 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> A Review of PowerDVD Linux V expensive, but just works

    > Does it support 251 video codecs, including x264 and Theora?
    > Does it support 121 audio codecs, including Ogg Vorbis and AAC?
    > Does it transcode media between any of those 372 codecs?
    > Does it support 25 video output targets, including console (cvidix)?
    > Does it support 8 audio output targets, including hardware decoding?
    > Does it have 75 video filters, including logo and black frame detection?
    > Does it have 25 audio filters, including karaoke and runtime ac3?
    > Does it allow me to skip back and forward using the left and right keys?
    > Does it allow me to skip chapters using the up and down keys?
    > Does it allow me to pause/resume using the space bar?
    > Does it allow me to adjust the volume just by scrolling the touchpad?
    > Is it free (cost)?
    > Is it Free (licence)?
    > Can I modify this program to suit my needs?
    > Are there versions for architectures like MC68k; PPC; ARM and AMD64?
    > Does it have a mailing list for users and developers?
    > Does it have a bugzilla system for reporting bugs?
    > Does it have a community of volunteers providing free support?
    > Does it allow me to make backups of my fragile DVDs?
    >
    > No?
    >
    > MPlayer does.
    >
    > Next!

    It does one thing Mplayer does not.

    It allows you to LEGALLY view CSS encrypted DVD's in any part of the world.

    I know that this does not matter to you freetards.

    Also from the review:

    " MPlayer has a horrible UI, and frequently has issues with menus, chapters
    and subtitles."

    Once again most of your points confirm the ranting of a Linux loon...
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [News] [News] Proprietary GNU/Linux 'Enhancements': PowerDVD, Cedega 6.1

    "Joe Potter" writes:

    > "Homer" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> A Review of PowerDVD Linux - expensive, but just works

    >> Does it support 251 video codecs, including x264 and Theora?
    >> Does it support 121 audio codecs, including Ogg Vorbis and AAC?
    >> Does it transcode media between any of those 372 codecs?
    >> Does it support 25 video output targets, including console (cvidix)?
    >> Does it support 8 audio output targets, including hardware decoding?
    >> Does it have 75 video filters, including logo and black frame detection?
    >> Does it have 25 audio filters, including karaoke and runtime ac3?
    >> Does it allow me to skip back and forward using the left and right keys?
    >> Does it allow me to skip chapters using the up and down keys?
    >> Does it allow me to pause/resume using the space bar?
    >> Does it allow me to adjust the volume just by scrolling the touchpad?
    >> Is it free (cost)?
    >> Is it Free (licence)?
    >> Can I modify this program to suit my needs?
    >> Are there versions for architectures like MC68k; PPC; ARM and AMD64?
    >> Does it have a mailing list for users and developers?
    >> Does it have a bugzilla system for reporting bugs?
    >> Does it have a community of volunteers providing free support?
    >> Does it allow me to make backups of my fragile DVDs?
    >>
    >> No?
    >>
    >> MPlayer does.
    >>
    >> Next!

    > When somebody else posted that comment on the page you left out the editors
    > reply -
    >
    > Editor: If only it worked out of the box, had a pleasant UI, and its
    > developers weren't such a cantankerous bunch of pricks.

    Ha. Try asking a question on their irc or forum.

    > And what's with the complaining about the price. I own ties that cost more
    > than this.
    >
    > - "At $49 US, it's damn expensive, but we don't regret our purchase at
    > all."

    The COLAtards think "Free" should also be "free".

  6. Re: [News] [News] Proprietary GNU/Linux 'Enhancements': PowerDVD, Cedega 6.1

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Joe Potter belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > "Homer" wrote in message

    Link reposted:

    http://venturecake.com/a-review-of-p...ut-just-works/

    >>> A Review of PowerDVD Linux - expensive, but just works

    >> Does it support 251 video codecs, including x264 and Theora?
    >> Does it support 121 audio codecs, including Ogg Vorbis and AAC?
    >>
    >> . . .
    >>
    >> Does it allow me to make backups of my fragile DVDs?
    >>
    >> No?
    >>
    >> MPlayer does.
    >>
    >> Next!

    > When somebody else posted that comment

    I suspect Homer was the OP.

    > on the page you left out the editors
    > reply -
    >
    > Editor: If only it worked out of the box, had a pleasant UI, and its
    > developers weren't such a cantankerous bunch of pricks.

    http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/lin...ew-61627.shtml

    Even if it doesn't come installed by default, MPlayer is very easy to
    install on popular distributions. ...

    I said this before, but I have to say it again: MPlayer is, was and
    will be the best video player Linux ever had! And most of all, with
    the right graphical user interface (GUI) it really rocks! I recommend
    this player to all Linux newbies and gurus.

    Nothing there about whether the developers are pricks or not.

    > And what's with the complaining about the price. I own ties that cost more
    > than this.

    Why?

    --
    I can read your mind, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

+ Reply to Thread