[News] ASUS Makes Its GNU/Linux Offer Better Than Windows - Linux

  1. [News] ASUS Makes Its GNU/Linux Offer Better Than Windows

    Eee-Box: Mini Desktop Doubles RAM in its Linux Version

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Eee Box B202, with an Intel Atom N270 CPU at 1.6 GHz, is available at
    | around $300 for the Windows XP version with 1 GByte RAM and an 80-Gbyte hard
    | drive. The Linux/Easy OS version, for about the same price, has twice the
    | power at 2 Gbyte RAM and a 160-Gbyte drive.
    `----

    http://www.linux-magazine.com/online...linux_version/

    Recent:

    ASUS Eee Box gets unboxed in Australia at last!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While the Windows version comes with an 80GB hard drive, the Linux version
    | could come with an SSD instead, as with the Eee Notebooks, but Carr couldn’t
    | confirm absolutely at this stage – clearly decisions on Linux specs are still
    | being made.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20000/1105/1/0/

    More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
    | the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
    | — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
    | order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
    |
    | The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
    | pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...the_asus_eeepc

    Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

    | An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
    | manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
    | some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
    `----

    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...-linux-ulpcs/1

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
    | open source rival
    |
    | Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
    | around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
    | sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
    | Press.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

    Acer bets big on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
    | netbooks.
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22...hes-linux-hard

    Microsoft sees slide in profits

  2. Re: [News] ASUS Makes Its GNU/Linux Offer Better Than Windows

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Eee-Box: Mini Desktop Doubles RAM in its Linux Version
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Eee Box B202, with an Intel Atom N270 CPU at 1.6 GHz, is available
    > | at around $300 for the Windows XP version with 1 GByte RAM and an
    > | 80-Gbyte hard drive. The Linux/Easy OS version, for about the same
    > | price, has twice the power at 2 Gbyte RAM and a 160-Gbyte drive.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news

    eee_box_mini_desktop_doubles_ram_in_its_linux_vers ion/

    They need to ship mobile internet USB stick to make the
    user experience truly mobile. While those things could
    be made to work with a little hacking, businessed need professional
    USB sticks and software and drivers for Linux to place
    purchase orders.

+ Reply to Thread