Paranoid Liar Roy Schestowitz - Linux

This is a discussion on Paranoid Liar Roy Schestowitz - Linux ; From: Roy Schestowitz Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy Message-ID: I was taking a wild guess and assumed they had decided to install Vista. Gurus can do this in hours, advanced users require days (and many game/application still don't work), average users require weeks. ...

  1. Paranoid Liar Roy Schestowitz

    From: Roy Schestowitz
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    I was taking a wild guess and assumed they had decided to install Vista.
    Gurus can do this in hours, advanced users require days (and many
    game/application still don't work), average users require weeks. Wintrolls
    are the lowest form apparently. They can install Vista under a rock for
    years... so maybe we'll hear about their "Wow" experience before
    Vienna/Windows 7 comes out... assuming it ever does.., as recently Microsoft
    preferred to deny it, delighting memory candles that commemorate the Windows
    projects.

    From: Roy Schestowitz
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

    You know, being a little paranoid here, I'm beginning to wonder if PJ's
    burnout ("health break") is a result of ongoing stomach illness that comes
    from deliberate food poisoning. No, I'm not suggesting someone is putting
    something in her food. I never said anything like this. No way.

  2. How long Vista install takes

    In article ,
    Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:

    > From: Roy Schestowitz
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >

    > I was taking a wild guess and assumed they had decided to install Vista.
    > Gurus can do this in hours, advanced users require days (and many
    > game/application still don't work), average users require weeks. Wintrolls
    > are the lowest form apparently. They can install Vista under a rock for
    > years... so maybe we'll hear about their "Wow" experience before
    > Vienna/Windows 7 comes out... assuming it ever does.., as recently Microsoft
    > preferred to deny it, delighting memory candles that commemorate the Windows
    > projects.

    I had a chance to check that out Friday. I built my gaming PC near the
    start of 2003. It served my well when I did heavy PC gaming for the
    next couple of years, and then when I mostly slacked off PC gaming, but
    would occasionally come back to Dark Age of Camelot or City of Heroes in
    the years since, being kept viable by video card upgrades now and then.

    Alas, now I'm playing Warhammer Online, and that PC cannot be updated
    enough for that. AGP for video just doesn't cut it any more, so it was
    time to put together a new gaming PC:

    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz
    ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard
    GeForce 9800 GT video card (512 MB VRAM)
    8 GB RAM
    Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Antec Sonata III case
    Hard disk, DVD writer, wireless network card

    I was somewhat worried, as the parts arrived yesterday, and I plan to
    play some Warhammer tonight with a friend. I'm not a Windows guru. I
    wouldn't even say I'm an advanced Windows user. I may have been once,
    when I actually wrote Windows programs, but that was more than 5 years
    ago.

    If Vista takes weeks for the average user to install, there would be no
    chance of playing Warhammer tonight. I prepared for disappointment, and
    started the install.

    Apparently, I was wrong. I seem to actually be a Windows super-guru, as
    it did not even take me hours. It took:

    * a couple minutes to answer a couple simple dialogs,
    * a minute or two to copy files
    * around 10 minutes to expand them
    * under a minute to reboot and continue installing
    * about 15 minutes for it to finish and give me a couple more
    dialogs to answer
    * another quick reboot

    Total time till this point: under 30 minutes.

    I did have trouble getting the wireless networking card to see my
    wireless network. I then went over to my iMac, and had it create a new
    wireless network, and the Vista machine immediately saw that. On a
    hunch, I went to my wireless router, and enabled SSID broadcast, and
    then Vista saw my network. So, there seems to be a bug with connecting
    to networks that do not broadcast their SSID. Figuring this out ate
    maybe 15 minutes. (Broadcasting the SSID is no big deal: serious
    hackers aren't deterred by non-broadcast, so I have never relied on that
    for security--I use good encryption on my wireless).

    Downloading and installing the latest drivers from NVidia took a few
    minutes. Downloading and installing an anti-virus program also took a
    few minutes.

    Total time to be up and ready to install Warhammer Online: under an hour.

    PS: Warhammer works great on this machine. :-)

    --
    --Tim Smith

  3. Re: How long Vista install takes

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    >
    >> From: Roy Schestowitz
    >> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>

    >> I was taking a wild guess and assumed they had decided to install
    >> Vista. Gurus can do this in hours, advanced users require days (and
    >> many game/application still don't work), average users require
    >> weeks. Wintrolls are the lowest form apparently. They can install
    >> Vista under a rock for years... so maybe we'll hear about their
    >> "Wow" experience before Vienna/Windows 7 comes out... assuming it
    >> ever does.., as recently Microsoft preferred to deny it, delighting
    >> memory candles that commemorate the Windows projects.
    >>

    > I had a chance to check that out Friday. I built my gaming PC near
    > the start of 2003. It served my well when I did heavy PC gaming for
    > the next couple of years, and then when I mostly slacked off PC
    > gaming, but would occasionally come back to Dark Age of Camelot or
    > City of Heroes in the years since, being kept viable by video card
    > upgrades now and then.
    >
    > Alas, now I'm playing Warhammer Online, and that PC cannot be updated
    > enough for that. AGP for video just doesn't cut it any more, so it
    > was time to put together a new gaming PC:
    >
    > Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz
    > ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard
    > GeForce 9800 GT video card (512 MB VRAM)
    > 8 GB RAM
    > Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    > Antec Sonata III case
    > Hard disk, DVD writer, wireless network card
    >
    > Apparently, I was wrong. I seem to actually be a Windows super-guru,
    > as it did not even take me hours. It took:
    >
    > Total time till this point: under 30 minutes.

    You are a genius! Rex Ballard spends hundreds of hours a year just
    maintaining his Windows system.

    My Vista Ultimate install on my much lesser machine took just 45 minutes.

    > Downloading and installing the latest drivers from NVidia took a few
    > minutes. Downloading and installing an anti-virus program also took a
    > few minutes.
    >
    > Total time to be up and ready to install Warhammer Online: under an
    > hour.
    >
    > PS: Warhammer works great on this machine. :-)

    You're flush with new equipment. Didn't you recently also buy a new Mac?

  4. Re: How long Vista install takes

    On Sep 27, 10:07*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > Tim Smith wrote:

    > > so it was time to put together a new gaming PC:

    So you built your own computer from scratch. You didn't go buy one
    all preconfigured and preloaded.

    > > * Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz
    > > * ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard
    > > * GeForce 9800 GT video card (512 MB VRAM)
    > > * 8 GB RAM
    > > * Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    > > * Antec Sonata III case
    > > * Hard disk, DVD writer, wireless network card

    > > Apparently, I was wrong. *I seem to actually be a Windows super-guru,
    > > as it did not even take me hours. *It took:

    > > Total time till this point: under 30 minutes.

    > You are a genius! *Rex Ballard spends hundreds of hours a year just
    > maintaining his Windows system.
    >
    > My Vista Ultimate install on my much lesser machine took just 45 minutes.

    Not bad. It takes about that long to "just install the OS". Not
    exactly a world record for speed, but easily credible.

    How long did it take to do the REST of the job. You know, getting all
    your personal preferences and settings set up, getting your short cuts
    installed, installing all of your favorite applications, back up all
    your data and restore it into the new computer, and get everything set
    up to work exactly the way it did before?

    > > Downloading and installing the latest drivers from NVidia took a few
    > > minutes. *Downloading and installing an anti-virus program also took a
    > > few minutes.

    A few minutes here, a few minutes there.

    > > Total time to be up and ready to install Warhammer Online: under an
    > > hour.

    > > PS: Warhammer works great on this machine. :-)

    Yes, that's the one thing Vista does really well, is play Video
    Games. No real compelling advantages anywhere else. Like business
    uses or educational uses.

    Wouldn't an Xbox/360 or a PS/3 be less expensive?

    When I install Linux, I install about 1000 applications with it.

    I only install about 100 applications on windows, and each of those
    takes anywhere from 3 minutes to an hour to install and configure.

    I install fewer applications on Windows because most of them are very
    expensive. Even the registered shareware is about $40-50 a pop.

  5. Re: How long Vista install takes

    In article ,
    "DFS" wrote:

    > You're flush with new equipment. Didn't you recently also buy a new Mac?

    Yes. MacPro with two quad core Xeons, 10 gig of RAM, GeForce 8800 GT.
    I was playing Warhammer Online on that, dual booting Windows and OS X.
    But I keep that machine at work.

    I live only a couple miles from work, so thought it would not be too
    much of a pain to go into the office when I wanted to play, but it
    turned out to be annoying. Overnight--right on top of my weekend gaming
    hours--scripts run that transfer vast amounts of log files and backups
    from our data center to our main office, and those really drive up the
    latency on the office internet connection. Also, the building air
    flow/heating/cooling systems seem to be either off or turned way down
    overnight, making the environment a bit uncomfortable and stuffy. (I
    have a window office, and can open my window for air, but it's starting
    to get cold overnight).

    All in all, it seems time for a new gaming system. This one, like the
    last one, should last several years.

    * The motherboard supports 16 GB of RAM, so I've got room to grow
    there.

    * It supports Core 2 Quad, so I've got an upgrade path that way.

    * It has two PCI 2.0 x16 slots with support for ATI's CrossFireX
    technology. (That's a technology ATI has for connecting two
    graphics cards together. In some ways, it is like NVidia's SLI,
    except that it is supported on many more motherboards). Even
    when PCI 3 is out, and PCI 2 cards are falling behind, I'll have
    the option of going to two PCI 2 cards to get a little more life
    out of it.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread