[News] EU Could Display Price of Windows on Boxes, for Refunds - Linux

  1. [News] EU Could Display Price of Windows on Boxes, for Refunds

    Displaying the price of Microsoft Windows to be decided by the ECJ?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Most laptops are sold without the price of Microsoft Windows displayed before
    | the consumer buys it. This is an issue if you want to use another piece of
    | software on your laptop, such another version of Microsoft Windows, or Linux,
    | FreeBSD, OpenBSD or OpenSolaris. In an answer given by Commissioner Kuneva to
    | Belgian MEP Saïd El Khadraoui (PSE), there is a mention of two decisions
    | pending at the European Court of Justice (ECJ) related to this issue...
    `----

    http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum...ded-by-the-ecj
    http://tinyurl.com/4vgop5

    Recent:

    How to get a refund for Windows in Poland?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Reading the Slashdot article about Dave Mitchell from Great Britain, who got
    | a 47 pounds refund from Dell for returning his copy of Windows was an
    | inspiration for me to check, if it is possible in Poland, too. This is my
    | success story.
    |
    | I am a 3rd year’s student of Information Technologies at the University of
    | Lodz. In September 2007 I’ve purchased the Lenovo ThinkPad R61i laptop
    | from “Poltronics” company in Lodz, for 3355 PLN. From the very beginning I’ve
    | been informing the seller, that I won’t be using Windows, because it is Linux
    | I work on. In return, I was told, that they cannot sell me the laptop without
    | the Windows OS pre-installed. At that point in time, Lenovo didn’t offer the
    | ThinkPads with Linux, as they are now (with SLED) on the (more expensive)
    | ThinkPads T-series.
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/linux/how-to-...ows-in-poland/

    AbcLinuxu.cz Reimbursed User for MS Windows License from Lenovo ČR

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The biggest Czech Linux portal, AbcLinuxu.cz, along with its operator, the
    | Stickfish company, reimbursed a user for a MS Windows Vista Business OEM
    | license in Lenovo ČR's stead. The paid amount is the same the manufacturer
    | offered for returning the license in accordance with the EULA of the Windows
    | Vista Business OEM software that was supplied with the Lenovo laptop.
    | However, Lenovo ČR required a non-disclosure agreement to be signed that
    | would cover the entire negotiations with the company and its results for the
    | compensation to be effected.
    `----

    http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/pr/ab...novo-cr?page=1

    Related:

    Microfraud?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | THE ALLEGATIONS WERE shocking: For years, Microsoft has systematically
    | distorted its profit figures in an effort to consistently beat Wall Street
    | expectations and keep its stock price steadily rising. The false reports
    | would violate SEC regulations, and amount to outright fraud.
    |
    | More shocking was the source of the allegations: Microsoft's chief of
    | internal audits, Charlie Pancerzewski, who reported directly to the company's
    | chief financial officer.
    |
    | Most shocking of all was what happened to Pancerzewski when he reported the
    | suspicious bookkeeping to his supervisors, Microsoft CFO Mike Brown and chief
    | operating officer Bob Herbold, in the spring of 1995. Soon afterward,
    | Pancerzewski—who for nearly five years had received stellar performance
    | evaluations—received his first-ever unsatisfactory one, and was eventually
    | forced to resign.
    |
    | Two months ago, Microsoft quietly settled a lawsuit containing these
    | allegations, filed in 1997 by Pancerzewski under the Whistleblowers
    | Protection Act. The auditor claimed he was wrongfully terminated after
    | telling his supervisors that Microsoft might be breaking securities and tax
    | laws. The lawsuit made its tortuous way through several rounds of pretrial
    | motions until last fall, when US District Judge Carolyn Dimmick denied
    | Microsoft's final plea for summary judgment, finding credible evidence that
    | Microsoft may have violated SEC rules, as Pancerzewski alleged. Shortly
    | thereafter, Microsoft and Pancerzewski settled out of court. Terms of the
    | agreement were sealed, but one source who claims familiarity with the case
    | says that Microsoft paid Pancerzewski $4 million.
    `----

    http://web.archive.org/web/200703080...microfraud.php

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

    http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+wa...3-6153904.html

    Dell's secret Linux fling

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...l_linux_china/

    Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03..._linux_states/

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowacons...PLEX0_2455.pdf

    Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that
    | Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is
    | a program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin,
    | to analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software,
    | and specifically Linux.
    | His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon --
    | in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents.
    | And the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the
    | OEM channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that
    | end users have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/R..._Iowa_Attorney

    Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They are, in short the secret to Microsoft's success. And the word
    | secret is to be taken quite literally: No OEM may talk about the
    | contents of his contract, or he will lose his license, and (assumption)
    | likely be sued for breach of contract as well.
    `----

    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

  2. Re: EU Could Display Price of Windows on Boxes, for Refunds

    On Sep 24, 4:52 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Displaying the price of Microsoft Windows to be decided by the ECJ?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Most laptops are sold without the price of Microsoft Windows displayed before
    > | the consumer buys it. This is an issue if you want to use another pieceof
    > | software on your laptop, such another version of Microsoft Windows, or Linux,
    > | FreeBSD, OpenBSD or OpenSolaris. In an answer given by Commissioner Kuneva to
    > | Belgian MEP Sad El Khadraoui (PSE), there is a mention of two decisions
    > | pending at the European Court of Justice (ECJ) related to this issue...
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum...url.com/4vgop5

    Don't worry---teams of lawyers with suitcases full of cash are rushing
    to Brussels as we speak. Before you know it, t he ECJ will be filled
    with Microsoft lackeys.

  3. Re: EU Could Display Price of Windows on Boxes, for Refunds

+ Reply to Thread