[News]Intellectual Patents Stifling Science - Linux

This is a discussion on [News]Intellectual Patents Stifling Science - Linux ; Life-saving scientific research is being stifled by a "broken" patent system, according to a new report. "Blocking patents" are delaying advances in cancer medicine and food crops, says the Canada-based Innovation Partnership, a non-profit consultancy. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7632318.stm OTTAWA – (9 September) ...

  1. [News]Intellectual Patents Stifling Science

    Life-saving scientific research is being stifled by a "broken" patent
    system, according to a new report.

    "Blocking patents" are delaying advances in cancer medicine and food crops,
    says the Canada-based Innovation Partnership, a non-profit consultancy.

    OTTAWA – (9 September) The world’s intellectual property system is broken.
    It’s stopping lifesaving technologies from reaching the people who need
    them most in developed and developing countries, according to the authors
    of a report released in Ottawa today by an international coalition of
    experts.

    “We found the same stumbling blocks in the traditional communities of Brazil
    as we did in a corporate boardroom,” said Richard Gold, professor of
    intellectual property at McGill University and chair of the International
    Expert Group that produced the report. “Most striking is that no matter
    where we looked, the lack of trust played a vital role in blocking
    negotiations that could have benefited both sides, as well as the larger
    public.”

    http://www.theinnovationpartnership....hives/news/24/

  2. Re: [News]Intellectual Patents Stifling Science

    Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Life-saving scientific research is being stifled by a "broken" patent
    > system, according to a new report.
    >
    > "Blocking patents" are delaying advances in cancer medicine and food crops,
    > says the Canada-based Innovation Partnership, a non-profit consultancy.
    >

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7632318.stm
    >

    > OTTAWA – (9 September) The world’s intellectual property system is broken.
    > It’s stopping lifesaving technologies from reaching the people who need
    > them most in developed and developing countries, according to the authors
    > of a report released in Ottawa today by an international coalition of
    > experts.
    >
    > “We found the same stumbling blocks in the traditional communities of Brazil
    > as we did in a corporate boardroom,” said Richard Gold, professor of
    > intellectual property at McGill University and chair of the International
    > Expert Group that produced the report. “Most striking is that no matter
    > where we looked, the lack of trust played a vital role in blocking
    > negotiations that could have benefited both sides, as well as the larger
    > public.”
    >

    > http://www.theinnovationpartnership....hives/news/24/

    The whole problem is that the IP agenda is being driven by basically a
    combination of patent lawyers and big business interests.

    I remember 20 years ago Bill Gates at a seminar somewhere mocking IBM
    for being a lumbering old dinosaur stuck in the past whilst MS and Apple
    were the dynamic future. He didn't like it then that IBM were using
    protectionist tactics and now 20 years on MS is becoming as bad, if not
    worse. I suppose its part of the big business lifecycle. Big question is
    will MS reinvent itself as IBM did?

  3. Re: [News]Intellectual Patents Stifling Science

    ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 09:25 : \____

    > Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>
    >> Life-saving scientific research is being stifled by a "broken" patent
    >> system, according to a new report.
    >>
    >> "Blocking patents" are delaying advances in cancer medicine and food crops,
    >> says the Canada-based Innovation Partnership, a non-profit consultancy.
    >>

    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7632318.stm
    >>

    >> OTTAWA – (9 September) The world’s intellectual property system is broken.
    >> It’s stopping lifesaving technologies from reaching the people who need
    >> them most in developed and developing countries, according to the authors
    >> of a report released in Ottawa today by an international coalition of
    >> experts.
    >>
    >> “We found the same stumbling blocks in the traditional communities of Brazil
    >> as we did in a corporate boardroom,” said Richard Gold, professor of
    >> intellectual property at McGill University and chair of the International
    >> Expert Group that produced the report. “Most striking is that no matter
    >> where we looked, the lack of trust played a vital role in blocking
    >> negotiations that could have benefited both sides, as well as the larger
    >> public.”
    >>

    >> http://www.theinnovationpartnership....hives/news/24/

    > The whole problem is that the IP agenda is being driven by basically a
    > combination of patent lawyers and big business interests.
    >
    > I remember 20 years ago Bill Gates at a seminar somewhere mocking IBM
    > for being a lumbering old dinosaur stuck in the past whilst MS and Apple
    > were the dynamic future. He didn't like it then that IBM were using
    > protectionist tactics and now 20 years on MS is becoming as bad, if not
    > worse. I suppose its part of the big business lifecycle. Big question is
    > will MS reinvent itself as IBM did?

    They got inside without the fences (just stealing everyone's ideas). Now they
    want Gates and (garden) Walls.

    Latha Jishnu: The mouse that bit Microsoft
    PATENTLY ABSURD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here’s what Gates wrote in an office memorandum in 1991. “If people had
    | understood how patents would be granted when most of today’s ideas were
    | invented, and had taken out patents, the industry would be at a complete
    | standstill today. . . I feel certain that some large company will patent some
    | obvious thing related to interface, object orientation, algorithm,
    | application extension or other crucial technique.”
    |
    | This was the year after Microsoft launched Windows 3.0, the first of its new
    | operating systems that would become hugely popular across the world. Yet,
    | three years down the line, Microsoft had changed from a kitten that was
    | content with copyright protection to an aggressive patents tiger. In 1991,
    | Microsoft had filed fewer than 50 patent applications whereas last year it
    | was awarded 1,637 patents, almost a 12 per cent increase in the number of
    | patents it received in 2006. According to IFI Patent Intelligence, the rise
    | in Microsoft’s patents portfolio bucked the general trend in 2007 when the
    | number of patents issued by the US Patents and Trademark Office dipped by 10
    | per cent. Apparently several thousand of the company’s filings are still
    | pending.
    |
    | All this may prompt the reader to conclude that there is indeed a direct
    | correlation between IPR and growth — and wealth — as the company claims. Not
    | true, says Mark H Webbink, a US Supreme Court lawyer who is a recognised
    | voice on IT issues. Charting the company’s revenues, R&D spending and patent
    | filings from 1985 onwards, he shows that the spike in patent filings occurred
    | long after the Microsoft “had become well established and was being
    | investigated for its monopolistic practices”. Webbink contends that patents
    | did not spur the launch and rapid growth of the mass market software
    | industry. On the other hand, patents have become a threat to software
    | innovation, he warns.
    `----

    http://www.business-standard.com/ind...?autono=330566

    - --
    "There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
    include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
    economy."
    --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO

  4. Re: [News]Intellectual Patents Stifling Science

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:17:40 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Life-saving scientific research is being stifled by a "broken" patent
    > system, according to a new report.
    >
    > "Blocking patents" are delaying advances in cancer medicine and food crops,
    > says the Canada-based Innovation Partnership, a non-profit consultancy.
    >

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7632318.stm

    That's terrible
    It needs to be fixed.
    --