Linux: fools some of the people some of the time - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: fools some of the people some of the time - Linux ; "DFS" writes: > Hadron wrote: >> William Poaster writes: >> >>> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:13:34 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote: >>> >>>> DFS wrote: >>>> >>>>> It will never replace Windows, or get anything but the most >>>>> nominal ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78

  1. Re: Wintrolls: fool some of the people some of the time

    "DFS" writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> William Poaster writes:

    >>> See altered subject line. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> However the M$ zealots are seeing their world shrinking, & no matter
    >>> how much DFS & others post their mantra that linux only has a "most
    >>> nominal market share" the reality is different. As has been shown
    >>> many times, "market share" cannot be measured for something that's
    >>> *free*.

    >> Don't be silly Willy. Of course it can.

    > cola idiots are true idiots and hypocrites.
    >
    > Linux share can't be measured... unless the numbers are good. Then they're
    > quoted forever.
    >

    >> Take a deep breath and try and follow the math.
    >>
    >> Lets say 100 computers visit a certain site. And that site is
    >> "neutral". Say a news site or similar.
    >>
    >> Well, if 90 run XP, 2 run Vista, 7 run Mac and 1 runs Linux then its
    >> fair to say that Linux has a 1% market share.

    > Basic statistical sampling methodology. Employed in every industry, and
    > used as the basis for important decision making.
    >
    > It figures these under-if-employed-at-all cola bozos can't grasp such a
    > simple notion.
    >

    >> For free? Lets turn it around. 1% of the Market that the News Site is
    >> targeting is linux.
    >>
    >> There. That was not too difficult even for you was it?

    > It was, actually. You're being mean to Dumb Willie.

    You could be right. I mean what person in his right mind really believes
    you can not get at least a semi meaningful sample from this?

    --
    "Opening slide in movie: - Why Linux Sucks (4 Reasons) [no need to further explain, move along ....]"
    -- High Plains Thumper in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  2. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Well now that all depends on what I'm doing in my business doesn't
    >>> it? Some parts are based on windows desktops, and some parts are
    >>> linux based. And we have an old mac full of artwork lying around
    >>> somewhere as well.

    >> You could run your business with only Windows.
    >>
    >> You can't run your business with only Linux.

    > Was there a meaningful point here?

    You snipped it, of course. You're dishonest and slimy Phil.

    Linux == phail.

  3. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    RonB wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:41:16 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    > Nada...
    >
    > Isn't it time for you to venture out of mother's basement and restock
    > your Ding Dongs?

    I much prefer chocolate Zingers.

    How's that "I switched to Linux*" decision working out, liar? Not too bad,
    as long as you can run Windows in a VM huh?

    Hey, you be sure to drop us a line when you truly switch to Linux and give
    away or sell all your Windows software. I've been waiting a long time for 7
    to do it, but it turns out you faux "advocates*" are just that.

  4. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:17:06 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:41:16 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> Nada...
    >>
    >> Isn't it time for you to venture out of mother's basement and restock
    >> your Ding Dongs?

    > I much prefer chocolate Zingers.

    My mistake.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:25:55 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:13:34 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> It will never replace Windows, or get anything but the most nominal market
    >>> share.

    >> So why are you here fretting over it day after day, you hapless twit?

    > Kind of odd, isn't it, how many words and emotional outbursts it takes for
    > WinTrolls to claim that Linux is a non-threat? What are they railing
    > against?

    The same could be said of Schestowitz, Homer, HPT and others concerning
    their fear of Microsoft.
    If indeed Microsoft is in so much trouble, like they claim, and if Linux is
    such a superior model of an operating system, why the obvious fear?

    Personally if Microsoft disappeared tomorrow I could care less, except for
    the people who will be out of work.
    I'll use what I have and eventually move to a Mac.
    No big deal for me.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 02:29:09 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

    > On Sep 25, 6:13*am, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> It will never replace Windows, or get anything
    >>> but the most nominal market share.

    > Didn't your mommy ever tell you never to say never.

    No.
    She told me never to talk to strange people.
    Or was that strangers?
    Oh well, I forget. I was very little back then.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  7. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:17:06 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:41:16 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> Nada...
    >>
    >> Isn't it time for you to venture out of mother's basement and restock
    >> your Ding Dongs?

    > I much prefer chocolate Zingers.

    My mistake.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  8. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:17:06 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:41:16 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> Nada...
    >>
    >> Isn't it time for you to venture out of mother's basement and restock
    >> your Ding Dongs?

    > I much prefer chocolate Zingers.

    My mistake.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:17:06 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:41:16 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> Nada...
    >>
    >> Isn't it time for you to venture out of mother's basement and restock
    >> your Ding Dongs?

    > I much prefer chocolate Zingers.

    My mistake.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  10. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    DFS wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>> You could run your business with only Windows.
    >>>
    >>> You can't run your business with only Linux.

    >> Was there a meaningful point here?

    > You snipped it, of course. You're dishonest and slimy Phil.
    >
    > Linux == phail.

    The inciteful barbed comment was the point?

  11. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On 2008-09-25, DFS wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> blah blah blah... how could anyone be scared of a runny Linux turd
    >>> and the foul-mouthed apes that laid it?
    >>>
    >>> I know what really scares you, Windows user/pretend "advocate*": the
    >>> thought of actually having to use only Linux and open source
    >>> crapware.

    >> Unlike you I actually use linux

    > For playpen tinkering and wasting time only. When you want to get work done
    > or run your business, you return to the renowned Microsoft Windows XP
    > operating system and the huge universe of great application software.

    Like what exactly?

    If my company "terminal" was under my control it would run Linux.

    A number of the company servers are running Linux (along with all
    the other Unixen).

    >> and have a genuine reason for being in
    >> this newsgroup. You just come here and wail like a three year old
    >> scared of monsters in the cupboard.

    > I don't know where you weirdos get the insane idea that anyone is scared of
    > Linux. For anything but the most basic server duties, it's a crappy,

    ...perhaps it's all this time you waste on it.

    > unstable, amateurish silly-apps platform that the great majority of people
    > who try then turn around and uninstall. Look how much of the crapware is

    That's just wishful thinking on your part.

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

  12. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On 2008-09-25, DFS wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >>>
    >>> For playpen tinkering and wasting time only. When you want to get
    >>> work done or run your business, you return to the renowned Microsoft
    >>> Windows XP operating system and the huge universe of great
    >>> application software.

    >> Well now that all depends on what I'm doing in my business doesn't it?
    >> Some parts are based on windows desktops, and some parts are linux
    >> based. And we have an old mac full of artwork lying around somewhere
    >> as well.

    > You could run your business with only Windows.
    >
    > You can't run your business with only Linux.
    >
    > Linux == phail

    You can quite effectively run your business with only Linux.

    If you are going to toss out bull**** claims like this you
    should come up with at least something resembling a good reason
    why.

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

  13. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On 2008-09-25, DFS wrote:
    > Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> You could run your business with only Windows.
    >>>
    >>> You can't run your business with only Linux.

    >> Was there a meaningful point here?

    > You snipped it, of course. You're dishonest and slimy Phil.
    >
    > Linux == phail.

    Repeating a lie a lot doesn't make it any more true.

    You could start with a specific "show stopper" keeping
    the random business from using Linux exclusively.

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

  14. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    After takin' a swig o' grog, RonB belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:41:16 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    > Nada...
    >
    > Isn't it time for you to venture out of mother's basement and restock your
    > Ding Dongs?

    That's the problem. He eats them all at once, and his blood sugar and
    ADD go off the deep end.

    --
    There is perhaps in every thing of any consequence, secret history, which
    it would be amusing to know, could we have it authentically communicated.

  15. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-09-25, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> You could run your business with only Windows.
    >>
    >> You can't run your business with only Linux.
    >>
    >> Linux == phail

    (And this is the guy who calls us "children"?)

    > You can quite effectively run your business with only Linux.
    >
    > If you are going to toss out bull**** claims like this you
    > should come up with at least something resembling a good reason
    > why.

    Why bother? It's DFS scarecrow bull****.

    You could run your (small) business effectively with legal pads and
    pencils.

    --
    It isn't easy being the parent of a six-year-old. However, it's a pretty small
    price to pay for having somebody around the house who understands computers.

  16. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-09-25, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >> Linux == phail.

    > Repeating a lie a lot doesn't make it any more true.
    >
    > You could start with a specific "show stopper" keeping
    > the random business from using Linux exclusively.

    That's the problem. It's not the random business to which DFS refers...
    it's the business already locked-in to Microsoft applications,
    protocols, products, and services.

    It's this web that Microsoft works diligently to weave through an
    ever-increasing proportion of the business environment, thanks to their
    still-formidable desktop monopoly.

    --
    intoxicated, adj.:
    When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

  17. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > Fsckwit:
    >>
    >> unstable, amateurish silly-apps platform that the great majority of people
    >> who try then turn around and uninstall. Look how much of the crapware is

    > That's just wishful thinking on your part.

    Ask the fcskwit about the $billions spent per year battling the
    viruses and malware his "renowned" Windwoes operating system is so
    vulnerable to. Talk about crapware!

  18. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    On 2008-09-25, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-25, DFS wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Linux == phail.

    >> Repeating a lie a lot doesn't make it any more true.
    >>
    >> You could start with a specific "show stopper" keeping
    >> the random business from using Linux exclusively.

    > That's the problem. It's not the random business to which DFS refers...
    > it's the business already locked-in to Microsoft applications,
    > protocols, products, and services.

    Well there's certainly that.

    If I were arguing his point for him, I would start by pointing
    to vertical apps of various sorts. The fact that these tend to be
    written only for MS-DOS (or it's current incarnation) has been a
    bit of stumbling block since the early 80s.

    > It's this web that Microsoft works diligently to weave through an
    > ever-increasing proportion of the business environment, thanks to their
    > still-formidable desktop monopoly.

    --

    Metallica is not worth the ruination of someone |||
    who has pirated their music / | \

  19. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > You have nice sigs, dude!

    I've had some of these since the days of BBSing and offline mail readers.
    :-)
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ...."Bother," said Pooh, as he torched the forest.....

    Good to the last supper

  20. Re: Linux: fools some of the people some of the time

    Hadron wrote:

    > it kind of is now that people like shuttleworth and *real* advocates
    > such as myself have pressed for better install procedures and more
    > sensible defaults.

    You are nowhere near being in the same class as Shuttleworth, you preening
    pea****.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....What goes around usually picks up momentum!

    Good to the last supper