[News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows - Linux

  1. [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    A Linux zealot examines Microsoft Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My point is this: It seems that everyone assumes that the Windows operating
    | system is the most user-friendly available. I think they are wrong. I think
    | that Microsoft has actually managed to “dumb down” the operating system (in
    | Vista at least) to the point where very little makes sense. Very basic tasks
    | should be obvious. They are not. Obvious locations for certain tools are no
    | longer valid. Administration that should be quick and easy is time consuming
    | and confusing (at times).
    |
    | If you think about it like this: Microsoft has basically created a new
    | distribution of Windows. And migrating from one distribution (XP) to another
    | (Vista) isn’t as easy as it should be.
    `----

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/op...68&tag=nl.e550

    Recent:

    PC Makers Attempt to 'Fix' Vista OS Themselves

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and Sony are trying to right the Vista-OS wrongs with
    | each creating their own software to be pre-installed on new computers in the
    | hope of fixing perceived ease-of-use problems with Vista, according to a
    | interesting report in today's Wall Street Journal.
    `----

    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007577.html

    Unwanted licences boost Vista numbers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with an XP
    | licence," said Jane Bradburn, a marketing manager for HP Australia. "However,
    | what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business
    | licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business
    | computers we are selling today."
    |
    | Therefore the Vole's claims for high Vista sales figures are merely so much
    | steer manure. The major PC vendors are still preloading Windows XP, but
    | Microsoft is counting those XP preloads as Vista sales.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...lly-windows-xp

    Related:

    Currys group blames Vista for poor sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
    | Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/c...oor-sales.html

    Dell casts doubts on Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
    | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
    | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
    | choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
    | Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
    | larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
    | an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
    `----

    http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/...ubts.on.vista/

    Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
    | experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
    | visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
    | created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
    `----

    http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downg...indows-xp.blog

    Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

  2. Re: [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    On 2008-09-23, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Recent:
    >
    > Unwanted licences boost Vista numbers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| "From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with an XP
    >| licence," said Jane Bradburn, a marketing manager for HP Australia. "However,
    >| what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business
    >| licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business
    >| computers we are selling today."
    >|
    >| Therefore the Vole's claims for high Vista sales figures are merely so much
    >| steer manure. The major PC vendors are still preloading Windows XP, but
    >| Microsoft is counting those XP preloads as Vista sales.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...lly-windows-xp

    I realize that this may violate some Microsoft TOS, but if you're buying
    a machine that ships with vista to replace a machine that is running XP,
    then I don't see the harm in using that XP licence - even if it is an
    OEM license - to activate an installation of XP on that new machine.
    Think about it. You've paid Microsoft for a copy of their operating
    system on that machine, why should it matter if you use their last
    iteration? For that matter, even if the new machine is an OEM license
    then why should it matter? You've still paid them.

  3. Re: [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:11:34 -0500, alt wrote:

    > I realize that this may violate some Microsoft TOS, but if you're buying
    > a machine that ships with vista to replace a machine that is running XP,
    > then I don't see the harm in using that XP licence - even if it is an
    > OEM license - to activate an installation of XP on that new machine.
    > Think about it. You've paid Microsoft for a copy of their operating
    > system on that machine, why should it matter if you use their last
    > iteration? For that matter, even if the new machine is an OEM license
    > then why should it matter? You've still paid them.

    With Dell and Lenevo you can legally "downgrade" to XP, if you buy one of
    the business editions of Vista ME instead of the home edition. (Dell and
    Lenevo also give you support if you do so.) I don't know if that's part of
    the M$ license, or the Dell and Lenevo OEM licenses. I can tell you one
    thing. If I was somehow forced to buy a Dell laptop with the Vista ME crap
    installed and I needed XP, I wouldn't have any problem "downgrading" on my
    own. What's the good of support for a product that fundamentally does not
    work?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:11:34 -0500, alt wrote:

    > I realize that this may violate some Microsoft TOS, but if you're buying
    > a machine that ships with vista to replace a machine that is running XP,
    > then I don't see the harm in using that XP licence - even if it is an
    > OEM license - to activate an installation of XP on that new machine.
    > Think about it. You've paid Microsoft for a copy of their operating
    > system on that machine, why should it matter if you use their last
    > iteration? For that matter, even if the new machine is an OEM license
    > then why should it matter? You've still paid them.

    With Dell and Lenevo you can legally "downgrade" to XP, if you buy one of
    the business editions of Vista ME instead of the home edition. (Dell and
    Lenevo also give you support if you do so.) I don't know if that's part of
    the M$ license, or the Dell and Lenevo OEM licenses. I can tell you one
    thing. If I was somehow forced to buy a Dell laptop with the Vista ME crap
    installed and I needed XP, I wouldn't have any problem "downgrading" on my
    own. What's the good of support for a product that fundamentally does not
    work?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 18:11:34 -0500, alt wrote:

    > I realize that this may violate some Microsoft TOS, but if you're buying
    > a machine that ships with vista to replace a machine that is running XP,
    > then I don't see the harm in using that XP licence - even if it is an
    > OEM license - to activate an installation of XP on that new machine.
    > Think about it. You've paid Microsoft for a copy of their operating
    > system on that machine, why should it matter if you use their last
    > iteration? For that matter, even if the new machine is an OEM license
    > then why should it matter? You've still paid them.

    With Dell and Lenevo you can legally "downgrade" to XP, if you buy one of
    the business editions of Vista ME instead of the home edition. (Dell and
    Lenevo also give you support if you do so.) I don't know if that's part of
    the M$ license, or the Dell and Lenevo OEM licenses. I can tell you one
    thing. If I was somehow forced to buy a Dell laptop with the Vista ME crap
    installed and I needed XP, I wouldn't have any problem "downgrading" on my
    own. What's the good of support for a product that fundamentally does not
    work?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    RonB wrote:

    > What's the good of support for a
    > product that fundamentally does not work?

    That's funny: Vista "fundamentally does not work" but in 1.5 years of
    availability has garnered approx. 20x the installed base of free Linux
    crapware OS.

    Linux: loses again. And again. And again.

  7. Re: Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    On Sep 24, 9:14 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > RonB wrote:
    > > What's the good of support for a
    > > product that fundamentally does not work?

    > That's funny: Vista "fundamentally does not work" but in 1.5 years of
    > availability has garnered approx. 20x the installed base of free Linux
    > crapware OS.
    >
    > Linux: loses again. And again. And again.

    Vista is working excellently; Microsoft's y-on-y earnings growth
    is 41.60%. Redhat's is an anemic though still positive 6.60%.
    Sun Microsystem's is *one quarter* (-73.30% y-on-y earnings
    growth). Novell's profits are negative ($3.74M in losses),
    despite their partnership agreement(s). Canonical Ltd. profits
    are not available, and possibly never will be; they have no plans
    to go public. Gentoo and Debian are non-profit corporations,
    presumably paid for by US taxes and various donations.

    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=MSFT
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=RHT
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=NOVL
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=JAVA

    One might of course ask the obvious question as to what
    "fundamentally does not work" means in this context (I think
    that phrase doesn't work!), but it's clear Microsoft isn't exactly
    suffering here.

    Not that Windows works all that well from a technical viewpoint.
    It simply works well enough so that people are satisfied; that is
    all that's required in a corporatocracy/laissez-faire capitalistic/
    fascist system,
    as opposed to a Utopia.

    It also works very well for OEMs, who have shored up Windows'
    deficiencies in certain very profitable ways: Barracuda, McAfee,
    and Cisco come to mind.

    Not sure how one changes all this unless one has a
    mind-control broadcast/hypnosis system... ;-)

  8. Re: Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    On 2008-09-25, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > On Sep 24, 9:14 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> RonB wrote:
    >> > What's the good of support for a
    >> > product that fundamentally does not work?

    >> That's funny: Vista "fundamentally does not work" but in 1.5 years of
    >> availability has garnered approx. 20x the installed base of free Linux

    ...through the same OEM channel that made the last free standing
    version of MS-DOS a raging success.

    >> crapware OS.
    >>
    >> Linux: loses again. And again. And again.

    [deletia]

    --

    Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good. |||
    / | \

  9. Re: Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    > On Sep 24, 9:14 pm, "DFS" wrote:

    >> That's funny: Vista "fundamentally does not work" but in 1.5 years
    >> of availability has garnered

    You misspelled "force-fed by racketeering"

    >> Linux: loses again. And again. And again.

    It's hard to win against government protected gangsters.

    > Not that Windows works all that well from a technical viewpoint. It
    > simply works well enough so that people are satisfied

    IME they're not, it's just that most of them don't even know there's an
    alternative ... not that they even *have* an alternative at the PC
    checkout, most of the time.

    > that is all that's required in a corporatocracy/laissez-faire
    > capitalistic/ fascist system,
    > as opposed to a Utopia.

    I'd be quite happy with just "democracy", assuming there's any left in
    the world.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    19:10:27 up 41 days, 16:23, 4 users, load average: 0.27, 0.11, 0.04

  10. Re: [News] Op-Ed: GNU/Linux Easier, More Flexible Than Windows

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 00:14:27 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >
    >> What's the good of support for a
    >> product that fundamentally does not work?

    > That's funny: Vista "fundamentally does not work" but in 1.5 years of
    > availability has garnered approx. 20x the installed base of free Linux
    > crapware OS.
    >
    > Linux: loses again. And again. And again.

    Marketing is powerful (and lock-in).

    -Thufir

+ Reply to Thread