[News] A Look at Wubi (Ubuntu Linux), AmigaOS - Linux

  1. [News] A Look at Wubi (Ubuntu Linux), AmigaOS

    Wubi Tuesday

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the past I’d have downloaded an ISO image, burning it to CD, and booting
    | from the resulting disk. This time, however, I decided to try out Wubi, an
    | installer that promised to let me run Ubuntu without having to re-partition
    | my hard drive.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Once it’s in place, all you need to do is reboot, choose Ubuntu from the list
    | displayed at start-up, and you’re ready to run. There are a couple of
    | caveats - as it’s running from a virtual disk on another file system you
    | can’t hibernate, and if you have a power outage you stand a higher chance of
    | getting corruption. Even so, it’s still a great way of getting started with a
    | non-Windows OS with out the performance hit of virtualisation - and it’s easy
    | to migrate your new install to its own real file system.
    `----

    http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/maryb/2.../wubi-tuesday/

    A new version of AmigaOS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At the time of writing, Hyperion is still in the middle of a lawsuit brought
    | by the company that contracted the development of the OS, Amiga Incorporated.
    | The lawsuit hinges on the original OS4 development contract, signed in the
    | wake of the dotcom crash of 2001, when Amiga Inc. had lost its funding and
    | did not appear to be financially viable going forward. The deal specified
    | that if Amiga Inc. were to declare bankruptcy, Hyperion Entertainment (which
    | prior to the development of OS4 specialized primarily in porting games from
    | Windows to the Mac, Amiga, and Linux) would gain full control of the rights
    | to the OS.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/articles/cult...gaos41-ars.ars

    Recent:

    Wubi: The Easy Way To Test-Drive Linux On A Windows PC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There must be a catch, right? Not really: If you're looking for a realistic,
    | fully functional Linux desktop experience, Wubi comes awfully close. While
    | you will see a slight performance penalty running Ubuntu on a Windows file
    | system rather than on a native Linux partition, keeping your Windows disk
    | defragmented will keep the difference to a minimum.
    `----

    http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/arc...he_easy_w.html

    Why you want (and need) a Linux Live CD

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For the most part, on this blog, I try to convince readers to do something
    | defensive on their computers - like a parent nagging a child to eat their
    | vegetables. Only once have I put my foot down, so to speak, saying
    | unequivocally last year that all Windows XP users should employ DropMyRights.
    | Now, another emphatic endorsement - all Windows users should have a Linux
    | Live CD, and, know how to use it.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-99....html?hhTest=1

    When Dubie met Wubi

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Loyal readers of this column will remember our four-part series on installing
    | one of the more popular distros of Linux, Ubuntu. Now that Ubuntu 8.4 LTS
    | (Long-Term Support) has been released, with Firefox 3, you might be curious
    | about how to check out and possibly use this upstart OS, but you're reticent
    | because of all the nastiness you've heard about partitioning your hard drive,
    | which once fell into the realm of Upper Geekdom.
    |
    | Worry no more. Wubi, a free Ubuntu installer for Windows, handles all that
    | folderol. It installs Ubuntu as though it were another application on your
    | hard drive, and you can delete it at your leisure. You can then test drive
    | Ubuntu and its open-source applications, then switch back to Windows if you
    | so desire.
    `----

    http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/...00/-1/business

    Why Aren’t All Linux Live CDs Customizable?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yes, Linux is an operating system that I do recommend to people at times. I
    | don’t use Linux as my operating system, but I do have several Linux live CDs.
    | A live CD is one that is started as an ISO file that you download, burn it to
    | a CD, pop it into your drive and reboot. Your computer will run Linux from
    | memory, without writing it to your hard drive. There are even ways that you
    | can put a Linux distro on a flash drive, which is nice. I can carry it around
    | with me, along with some diagnostic tools. This way, if I am working on a
    | machine that won’t boot into Windows, I can open it up with Linux.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | You can even choose your default wallpaper(s), including your username, and
    | including the volume at which the controller is set on boot. It’s very easy
    | to create one of these, and absolutely free. If you choose to create
    | a ‘custom’ CD, you choose what categories you want included… and then choose
    | the software! Add what you want, and know you’ll use. Leave the rest alone.
    | How cool is it to finally be able to choose what YOU want and need?
    `----

    http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/07/06/...-customizable/

    How To Make A Fully Customized KDE Live CD/DVD Using Kubuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There are tools available to allow anyone to create and distribute a
    | completely customized Ubuntu Based distribution using the Gnome Desktop. Many
    | Kubuntu users would like to do the same thing but such tools
    `----

    http://www.e-linux.it/news_detail.php?id=5552

  2. Re: [News] A Look at Wubi (Ubuntu Linux), AmigaOS

    > Wubi Tuesday

    Heh heh!

    --
    Weinberg's Principle:
    An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while

  3. Re: [News] A Look at Wubi (Ubuntu Linux), AmigaOS

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:37:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Wubi Tuesday
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In the past Id have downloaded an ISO image, burning it to CD, and booting
    >| from the resulting disk. This time, however, I decided to try out Wubi, an
    >| installer that promised to let me run Ubuntu without having to re-partition
    >| my hard drive.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Once its in place, all you need to do is reboot, choose Ubuntu from the list
    >| displayed at start-up, and youre ready to run. There are a couple of
    >| caveats - as its running from a virtual disk on another file system you
    >| cant hibernate, and if you have a power outage you stand a higher chance of
    >| getting corruption. Even so, its still a great way of getting started with a
    >| non-Windows OS with out the performance hit of virtualisation - and its easy
    >| to migrate your new install to its own real file system.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/maryb/2.../wubi-tuesday/

    Wubi is a pretty amazing tool.
    It's what got me interested in Ubuntu.
    I'm now running native though but the Wubi install worked fine and removed
    itself fine when I was done testing.
    Quite a nice setup.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb