Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to26 Days! - Linux

This is a discussion on Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to26 Days! - Linux ; Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything working perfectly! Output of uptime: 08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to26 Days!

    Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached
    uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything
    working perfectly!

    Output of uptime:

    08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02

  2. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14to 26 Days!

    Correction: That's Ubuntu 8.04. I've also been running Ubuntu 7.10
    since January on another machine, no problems yet!

  3. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:11:47 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    wrote:

    > Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached
    > uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything
    > working perfectly!
    >
    > Output of uptime:
    >
    > 08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02

    So you are wasting energy and contributing to global warming.
    This is something to be proud of?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to ?26 Days!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached
    > uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything
    > working perfectly!
    >
    > Output of uptime:
    >
    > 08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02

    OK. what've you done wrong?
    Such a thing shouldn't be possible!

    well... not according to doofus who claims your machine is an abboration,
    against nature, should not exist because no Hardy Heron machine can stay up
    for more than 30 minutes.

  5. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    DFS wrote:
    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-23, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >> claimed:
    >>> Correction: That's Ubuntu 8.04. I've also been running Ubuntu 7.10
    >>> since January on another machine, no problems yet!

    >> You need the help of a professional DuFuS to correct both of these
    >> problems. Especially 7.10.

    > According to the Ubuntu forums, the 8.04 piece of **** was at least as buggy
    > as the 7.10 piece of ****.
    >
    > Linux just works.

    Ubuntu 8.04
    17:31:55 up 7 days, 15:30, 9 users, load average: 0.17, 0.44, 0.44

    Reason for only 7?? days? Kernel update. NOT crash.
    So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

    >> and distorting threads to make things appear to be what they
    >> are not.

    > I agree with you here. I greatly understate the true extent of the
    > Linux/OSS crapware problems that exist in the world.

    Inability to spell overstate noted.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  6. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached
    > uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything
    > working perfectly!
    >
    > Output of uptime:
    >
    > 08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02

    I've got 160 days.

    Man, it's been that long since I've upgraded my kernel on my main box!

    --

  7. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    On 2008-09-23, DFS wrote:
    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-23, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >> claimed:
    >>> Correction: That's Ubuntu 8.04. I've also been running Ubuntu 7.10
    >>> since January on another machine, no problems yet!

    >> You need the help of a professional DuFuS to correct both of these
    >> problems. Especially 7.10.

    > According to the Ubuntu forums, the 8.04 piece of **** was at least as buggy
    > as the 7.10 piece of ****.
    >
    > Linux just works.

    Well it does. The fact that you're trying to scare people doesn't
    alter this fact.

    [deletia]

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  8. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to ?26 Days!

    On 2008-09-23, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached
    >> uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything
    >> working perfectly!
    >>
    >> Output of uptime:
    >>
    >> 08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02

    > OK. what've you done wrong?
    > Such a thing shouldn't be possible!

    This is the problem with information that is so vague as to be
    unusable. Without the ability to make falsifiable claims, it doesn't
    matter what bulk of information you can dredge up from Google.

    [deletia]

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  9. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

  10. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14to ?26 Days!

    On Sep 23, 9:30 am, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > > Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached
    > > uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything
    > > working perfectly!

    > > Output of uptime:

    > > 08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02

    > OK. what've you done wrong?
    > Such a thing shouldn't be possible!
    >
    > well... not according to doofus who claims your machine is an abboration,
    > against nature, should not exist because no Hardy Heron machine can stay up
    > for more than 30 minutes.

    Seems to have gone down to 10 minutes today. He must have bad luck
    with Linux. Maybe it's like those attitude chips they have in xerox
    machines? You know, when they fail when you are most desperate?
    Maybe Linux has an attitude detector, and it just crashes for DFS.

  11. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from14 to 26 Days!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached
    > uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything
    > working perfectly!
    >
    > Output of uptime:
    >
    > 08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02

    I don't think I understand your posts about uptime.

    I think you are rather new to Linux.

    I had a Fedora firewall up for about 380 days once---until I took it
    down for an upgrade.

  12. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14to 26 Days!

    On Sep 23, 10:53 am, Matt wrote:
    > ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > > Ubuntu desktop plus web server plus print server, has now reached
    > > uptime of 26 days! No crashes, freezes, BSODs yet! Everything
    > > working perfectly!

    > > Output of uptime:

    > > 08:10:36 up 26 days, 23:51, 5 users, load average: 0.24, 0.05, 0.02

    > I don't think I understand your posts about uptime.
    >
    > I think you are rather new to Linux.
    >
    > I had a Fedora firewall up for about 380 days once---until I took it
    > down for an upgrade.

    The posts a reply to DFS, who just implied that Linux crashes every 10
    minutes.

    I don't know what the true statistics are on crashes in Linux, and
    neither does he. People complain in Ubuntu forums when something
    doesn't work, not when it does, so I don't think you can judge numbers
    from complaints. There are lots of complaints about Windows, too,
    especially when people have to do their own installation. I just
    know that I've been using Linux for 11 years now, and crashes is
    something I've never had trouble with. (or freezes or BSODs or lock-
    ups or whatever you want to call them). I've certainly had issues,
    especially about getting hardware working (in the old days, mostly),
    but not crashes. And I'm not saying that Linux is perfect, it isn't,
    and setup may be ok for noobs sometimes these days, but many times
    some expertise is needed. A system once set up can work just fine for
    noobs, however, I know because my wife does it. I have no experience
    with preloaded Linux (from Dell or Acer or anybody) but those systems
    probably don't give their users many problems. Maybe there are
    problems when they upgrade, but you could say the same for Windows,
    which has a reputation for breaking existing applications when you do
    an upgrade. Again, I don't have personal experrience with that, but
    it was certainly a common complaint about Vista.

    The trouble with making reasonable and balanced statements in the
    presence of DFS is that he is completely off the deep end with his
    frothing hatred of Linux. There is nothing reasonable or balanced
    about what he says. He used to be slightly more reasonable, but he's
    gotten more rabid as time goes on.

  13. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > On 2008-09-23, DFS wrote:
    >> Sinister Midget wrote:
    >>> On 2008-09-23, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >>> claimed:
    >>>
    >>> You need the help of a professional DuFuS to correct both of these
    >>> problems. Especially 7.10.

    >> According to the Ubuntu forums, the 8.04 piece of **** was at least as buggy
    >> as the 7.10 piece of ****.
    >>
    >> Linux just works.

    > Well it does. The fact that you're trying to scare people doesn't
    > alter this fact.

    The funny thing is that DFS is trying to scare people who are used to
    *Windows*.

    --
    You don't have to be nice to people on the way up if you're not planning on
    coming back down.

  14. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    After takin' a swig o' grog, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > The trouble with making reasonable and balanced statements in the
    > presence of DFS is that he is completely off the deep end with his
    > frothing hatred of Linux. There is nothing reasonable or balanced
    > about what he says. He used to be slightly more reasonable, but he's
    > gotten more rabid as time goes on.

    Have you noticed it now takes DFS, Moshe, and Hadron working together to
    try to assemble one half-way decent insult these days?

    It must be frustrating for them -- Linux itself provides precious little
    trolling material now, and in fact is making some noticeable inroads,
    and the regulars here are inured to childish troll insults for
    the most part.

    As Kenny Wilson might say, I'm just sitting back ****in' laffin', mate!

    --
    "Life sucks, but it's better than the alternative."
    -- Peter da Silva

  15. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14to 26 Days!

    On Sep 24, 3:14*am, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:
    > Correction: *That's Ubuntu 8.04. *I've also been running Ubuntu 7.10
    > since January on another machine, no problems yet!

    I like 8.10 better. (Intrepid Ibex). Even though it's still an alpha
    release nothing has crashed for me. I do have to reboot it every few
    days though as kernel updates come along quite often.

  16. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from14 to 26 Days!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    >> I had a Fedora firewall up for about 380 days once---until I took it
    >> down for an upgrade.

    > The posts a reply to DFS, who just implied that Linux crashes every 10
    > minutes.

    Okay, I was guessing something like that. It's just that the subject
    line might make a prospective user think that an anecdote about 26 days
    of uptime is some kind of a big deal. News like San Diego or the whole
    state of Indiana switching their schools to Linux is probably more
    impressive. Wish we could get stories like that every 26 days!

  17. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14to 26 Days!

    On Sep 23, 1:46 pm, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > > The trouble with making reasonable and balanced statements in the
    > > presence of DFS is that he is completely off the deep end with his
    > > frothing hatred of Linux. There is nothing reasonable or balanced
    > > about what he says. He used to be slightly more reasonable, but he's
    > > gotten more rabid as time goes on.

    > Have you noticed it now takes DFS, Moshe, and Hadron working together to
    > try to assemble one half-way decent insult these days?

    Well I seldom read Hadron but I have noticed that so many people are
    on his case these days calling him for what he is that he can hardly
    get away with anything. If there are any strangers passing through
    here (I think there are) Hadron is not going to look very good. He
    never did.

    All the trolls would be more effective in promoting the interests of
    their beloved monopoly if they were just polite and argued cases on
    the merits. They're too dumb to get that, however. Must be their
    instructions from their puppet meisters in Redmond, to be as nasty as
    possible.

    > It must be frustrating for them -- Linux itself provides precious little
    > trolling material now, and in fact is making some noticeable inroads,
    > and the regulars here are inured to childish troll insults for
    > the most part.

    Yes, Linux and FOSS is making some notable inroads, and with the help
    of Apple and Google Microsoft is looking more and more vulnerable
    every day. It's been a good year so far (well, maybe not for the
    stock market).

  18. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > The trouble with making reasonable and balanced statements in the
    > presence of DFS is that he is completely off the deep end with his
    > frothing hatred of Linux. *There is nothing reasonable or balanced
    > about what he says. *He used to be slightly more reasonable, but he's
    > gotten more rabid as time goes on.

    you hit the nail right on the head with that one. in DFS's case, it shows
    that he is mentally unstable. this, unfortunatly is the mindset of the
    corporate culture these days.
    it will not suprise me if DFS is a Microsoft high ranking employee.

    i don't know if you have heard of it or seen it yet, but highly recommend
    that you see the movie "The Corporation"

    that will explain the psycopathic behavior behind corporations (like
    Microsoft)

  19. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:40:59 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> According to the Ubuntu forums, the 8.04 piece of **** was at least as buggy
    >>> as the 7.10 piece of ****.
    >>>
    >>> Linux just works.

    >> Well it does. The fact that you're trying to scare people doesn't
    >> alter this fact.

    > The funny thing is that DFS is trying to scare people who are used to
    > *Windows*.

    This thread is a perfect example of the gang mentality of the Linux COLA
    Mafia at work.

    Ya'll pile on now!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  20. Re: Happy Linux User, Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.10) Uptime Jumps from 14 to 26 Days!

    I don't hate it. It's a piece of **** is all.

    >> There is nothing reasonable or balanced
    >> about what he says. He used to be slightly more reasonable, but he's
    >> gotten more rabid as time goes on.

    > you hit the nail right on the head with that one. in DFS's case, it
    > shows that he is mentally unstable. this, unfortunatly is the mindset
    > of the corporate culture these days.

    Emptying trash cans at 8pm doesn't give you any insight into the culture of
    the company whose offices you clean.

    > it will not suprise me if DFS is a Microsoft high ranking employee.

    It would surprise me - very much.

    > i don't know if you have heard of it or seen it yet, but highly
    > recommend that you see the movie "The Corporation"
    >
    > that will explain the psycopathic behavior behind corporations (like
    > Microsoft)

    Corporations don't have psychopathic behavior, though Linux developers like
    to murder their wives and discriminate against women.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast