Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold? - Linux

This is a discussion on Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold? - Linux ; And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone wins there too. If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd party apps available for the iPhone. http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...d0WiyBJKUjtBAF -----> We ...

  1. Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone
    wins there too.

    If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd
    party apps available for the iPhone.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...d0WiyBJKUjtBAF

    ----->
    We already know that Apple sold 1 million iPhone 3Gs in the first weekend it
    went on sale around the world, and Piper Jaffray believes the company has
    added another 4 million units to that total since then, according to a
    research note released Monday. Apple will reveal the formal totals in about
    a month when it reports earnings for its fourth fiscal quarter.
    <-----

  2. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:02:45 -0400, Joe Potter wrote:

    > And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone
    > wins there too.
    >
    > If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd
    > party apps available for the iPhone.
    >

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...d0WiyBJKUjtBAF
    >
    > ----->
    > We already know that Apple sold 1 million iPhone 3Gs in the first weekend it
    > went on sale around the world, and Piper Jaffray believes the company has
    > added another 4 million units to that total since then, according to a
    > research note released Monday. Apple will reveal the formal totals in about
    > a month when it reports earnings for its fourth fiscal quarter.
    > <-----

    OpenMoko?

    Is that the phone that can't reliably make phone calls?
    Have they fixed that *minor* problem yet?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:02:45 -0400, Joe Potter wrote:
    >
    >> And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone
    >> wins there too.
    >>
    >> If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd
    >> party apps available for the iPhone.
    >>

    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...d0WiyBJKUjtBAF
    >>
    >> ----->
    >> We already know that Apple sold 1 million iPhone 3Gs in the first weekend
    >> it
    >> went on sale around the world, and Piper Jaffray believes the company has
    >> added another 4 million units to that total since then, according to a
    >> research note released Monday. Apple will reveal the formal totals in
    >> about
    >> a month when it reports earnings for its fourth fiscal quarter.
    >> <-----

    > OpenMoko?
    >
    > Is that the phone that can't reliably make phone calls?
    > Have they fixed that *minor* problem yet?

    I never knew that reliably making phone calls was a problem with the
    OpenMoko. Silly me - I just assumed that any *phone* would be able to make
    calls.

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    > Please Visit www.linsux.org

  4. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko"iPhone killer" sold?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:47:56 -0400, Joe Potter wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >>
    >> OpenMoko?
    >>
    >> Is that the phone that can't reliably make phone calls? Have they
    >> fixed that *minor* problem yet?

    > I never knew that reliably making phone calls was a problem with the
    > OpenMoko. Silly me - I just assumed that any *phone* would be able
    > to make calls.

    No, it was the iPhone that had the problem:

    http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

    The iPhone 2.1 software update contains many bug fixes and
    improvements.

    Update includes:

    * Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls

  5. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:47:56 -0400, Joe Potter wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:02:45 -0400, Joe Potter wrote:
    >>
    >>> And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone
    >>> wins there too.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd
    >>> party apps available for the iPhone.
    >>>

    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...d0WiyBJKUjtBAF
    >>>
    >>> ----->
    >>> We already know that Apple sold 1 million iPhone 3Gs in the first weekend
    >>> it
    >>> went on sale around the world, and Piper Jaffray believes the company has
    >>> added another 4 million units to that total since then, according to a
    >>> research note released Monday. Apple will reveal the formal totals in
    >>> about
    >>> a month when it reports earnings for its fourth fiscal quarter.
    >>> <-----

    >> OpenMoko?
    >>
    >> Is that the phone that can't reliably make phone calls?
    >> Have they fixed that *minor* problem yet?

    > I never knew that reliably making phone calls was a problem with the
    > OpenMoko. Silly me - I just assumed that any *phone* would be able to make
    > calls.

    It was posted on their site at one time.
    It still might be there for all I know.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  6. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    "Moshe Goldfarb." schreef in bericht
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:02:45 -0400, Joe Potter wrote:
    >
    >> And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone
    >> wins there too.
    >>
    >> If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd
    >> party apps available for the iPhone.
    >>

    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...d0WiyBJKUjtBAF
    >>
    >> ----->
    >> We already know that Apple sold 1 million iPhone 3Gs in the first weekend
    >> it
    >> went on sale around the world, and Piper Jaffray believes the company has
    >> added another 4 million units to that total since then, according to a
    >> research note released Monday. Apple will reveal the formal totals in
    >> about
    >> a month when it reports earnings for its fourth fiscal quarter.
    >> <-----

    > OpenMoko?
    >
    > Is that the phone that can't reliably make phone calls?
    > Have they fixed that *minor* problem yet?

    It's a completely unusable piece of ****!
    http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/0...m-takes-a.html

  7. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:59:36 +0200, Clogwog wrote:

    > http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/0...m-takes-a.html

    Looks like a piker to me......

    From the OpenMoko review:

    #1 posted by Anonymous , July 19, 2008 1:56 PM

    That keyboard actually made me wince and squeak involuntarily. My
    understanding is that this phone is (mostly?) a developer/enthusiast
    prototype, though, and there's plenty of room to grow. Still, I think the
    main obstacle to open phones, Android or otherwise, is and will continue to
    be the carriers.
    Take a look at this
    #2 posted by Anonymous , July 19, 2008 2:00 PM

    "(Less so the desire for an open hardware phone. What am I going to do,
    upgrade it?)"

    Open hardware opens up service opportunities for DIYers, freelancers and
    local businesses. It makes the artificially outlandish concept of upgrading
    a cellphone's hardware feasible. (Why shouldn't you want to upgrade it,
    especially if it's more cost effective?)

    To put it a more palatable way, what if Apple encouraged you to open the
    iPhone and mod it however you wanted? What if they published all the
    technical documentation and told you to have fun hacking a GPS-enabled,
    Wi-Fi, 3G, multitouch handheld computer?

    What new applications do you think would come from that? Here, Apple is an
    obstacle, when they could be an enabler.

    OpenMoko is the best that company can do with its resources and its
    expected market. It's not the answer, it's a niche product, almost more a
    proof-of-concept than anything. The real question is, why don't companies
    that have the resources open up their phones?
    Take a look at this
    #3 posted by stratosfyr , July 19, 2008 2:07 PM

    The single most exciting thing about this phone for me is the USB host
    plug, meaning you could plug, say, a keyboard or camera or flash drive into
    it.

    I guess open hardware is kind of useless, but expect case mods.

    Anyway, looks pretty disappointing, but still early in the game.
    Take a look at this
    #4 posted by Rob Beschizza Author Profile Page, July 19, 2008 2:58 PM

    ZAURUS FOREVER
    Take a look at this
    #5 posted by dssstrkl , July 19, 2008 3:00 PM

    Yikes! It looks like the Open Moko people learned all of the wrong UI
    lessons from Palm. Plus, it has a music player, but ONLY plays ogg? Who has
    an ogg-only music library? That really seems like a FSF religiously induced
    decision there.
    Its really hard to take FSF seriously when they recommend that
    (specifically) over the iphone, or really any other smartphone, including
    windows mobile.
    I'd like to see a truly open mobile OS, just because its good for the
    market for such a beast to exist, but they really need to get their crap
    together it they're going to succeed beyond RMS and the most rabid
    freetards. (I say that as a linux and FOSS user and contributer.)
    Take a look at this
    #6 posted by Sxe , July 19, 2008 3:07 PM

    I'm extra disappointed, as I paid another CAD $110 for duty fees, and won't
    even have the unit in my hands until Monday. No electronic-based
    touchscreen? That sucks.

    It's my understanding that everything from the power management to the
    keyboard in the UI can and will be improved over time, but yeah, the
    hardware flaws of the screen bezel and pressure-only touchscreen make me
    feel pretty sheepish for spending half a grand on this.

    Hopefully someone will make and sell a new casing and a better touchscreen
    that won't significantly add to the cost. This is probably a long shot.

    Another case of early adopters getting burned, methinks.

    .....and a 100 more like that.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

> [...]

    > together it they're going to succeed beyond RMS and the most rabid
    > freetards. (I say that as a linux and FOSS user and contributer.)
    > Take a look at this
    > #6 posted by Sxe , July 19, 2008 3:07 PM
    >
    > I'm extra disappointed, as I paid another CAD $110 for duty fees, and
    > won't even have the unit in my hands until Monday. No electronic-based
    > touchscreen? That sucks.
    >
    > It's my understanding that everything from the power management to the
    > keyboard in the UI can and will be improved over time, but yeah, the
    > hardware flaws of the screen bezel and pressure-only touchscreen make me
    > feel pretty sheepish for spending half a grand on this.
    >
    > Hopefully someone will make and sell a new casing and a better touchscreen
    > that won't significantly add to the cost. This is probably a long shot.
    >
    > Another case of early adopters getting burned, methinks.

    Did someone say this OpenMoko is being marketed as a consumer item mobile
    phone? I was under the impression it's a hobbyist/developer item.

    But I guess if you want to troll, you'll twist anything into bait.

  9. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:02:36 +0100, Firey Bird wrote:

    > Did someone say this OpenMoko is being marketed as a consumer item mobile
    > phone? I was under the impression it's a hobbyist/developer item.

    I don't see anything on their sales site to suggest that.
    It is being sold in several places in the USA.

    > But I guess if you want to troll, you'll twist anything into bait.

    You'll have to try harder than that.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  10. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko"iPhone killer" sold?

    On Sep 23, 8:02 am, "Joe Potter" wrote:
    > And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone
    > wins there too.
    >
    > If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd
    > party apps available for the iPhone.
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...31004807437;_y...

    And how is WinCE doing? Any better than Zune? How about Microsoft
    search?

  11. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    "Firey Bird" wrote in message
> [...]

    >> I'm extra disappointed, as I paid another CAD $110 for duty fees, and
    >> won't even have the unit in my hands until Monday. No electronic-based
    >> touchscreen? That sucks.
    >>
    >> It's my understanding that everything from the power management to the
    >> keyboard in the UI can and will be improved over time, but yeah, the
    >> hardware flaws of the screen bezel and pressure-only touchscreen make me
    >> feel pretty sheepish for spending half a grand on this.
    >>
    >> Hopefully someone will make and sell a new casing and a better
    >> touchscreen
    >> that won't significantly add to the cost. This is probably a long shot.
    >>
    >> Another case of early adopters getting burned, methinks.
    >>

    >> ....and a 100 more like that.

    > Did someone say this OpenMoko is being marketed as a consumer item mobile
    > phone? I was under the impression it's a hobbyist/developer item.

    How in the world did you get that impression? You do realize that it can be
    both a "hobbyist/developer" item but actually work at the same time don't
    you? Just because some hobbyist can write and upload his own apps for the
    phone doesn't mean that the phone doesn't work and the hobbyist needs to
    also get that working on his own.

    > But I guess if you want to troll, you'll twist anything into bait.

    You're the one trolling with your excuse that 'It's okay if nothing on the
    phone works because it's for hobbyists.'

  12. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    "Rob Schwenk" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:47:56 -0400, Joe Potter wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> OpenMoko?
    >>>
    >>> Is that the phone that can't reliably make phone calls? Have they
    >>> fixed that *minor* problem yet?

    >> I never knew that reliably making phone calls was a problem with the
    >> OpenMoko. Silly me - I just assumed that any *phone* would be able
    >> to make calls.

    > No, it was the iPhone that had the problem:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
    >
    > The iPhone 2.1 software update contains many bug fixes and
    > improvements.
    >
    > Update includes:
    >
    > * Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls

    You do realize that there is a big difference between a phone (iPhone) where
    a few of the millions of customers occasionally experience a dropped call
    and a phone (OpenMoko) where a large percentage of the few people who own
    are often unable to make a call at all. What you're basically claiming is
    that the reliability of a Yugo and a Lexus are the same because after all
    both cars will occasionally break.

  13. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    wrote in message
    > On Sep 23, 8:02 am, "Joe Potter" wrote:
    >> And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone
    >> wins there too.
    >>
    >> If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd
    >> party apps available for the iPhone.
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...31004807437;_y...

    > And how is WinCE doing? Any better than Zune? How about Microsoft
    > search?

    I'm sure that the Zune is doing better than all of the Linux based "iPod
    killers" combined.

  14. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    On 2008-09-23, Joe Potter wrote:

    > "Rob Schwenk" wrote in message

    >>> I never knew that reliably making phone calls was a problem with the
    >>> OpenMoko. Silly me - I just assumed that any *phone* would be able
    >>> to make calls.

    >> No, it was the iPhone that had the problem:
    >>
    >> http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
    >>
    >> The iPhone 2.1 software update contains many bug fixes and
    >> improvements.
    >>
    >> Update includes:
    >>
    >> * Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls

    > You do realize that there is a big difference between a phone (iPhone) where
    > a few of the millions of customers occasionally experience a dropped call

    ...you're remarkably out of touch.

    Then again, wireless carriers in general did manage to take the
    best phone network in the world and throw everyone back into the dark
    ages with a network, reliability and usability that you would previously
    have to travel to the 3rd world to experience.

    > and a phone (OpenMoko) where a large percentage of the few people who own
    > are often unable to make a call at all. What you're basically claiming is
    > that the reliability of a Yugo and a Lexus are the same because after all
    > both cars will occasionally break.

    If Toyotas had that reputation, then they would rightfully so get
    lumped in with Yugos and cars from Detroit. As it so happens, I think you
    will be hard pressed to find any Toyota owner (Lexus or otherwise) that
    would agree with your characterization there (that they "occasionally break").

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

  15. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    Appil Corporation asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock Joe Potter
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Appil Corporation Department of Marketing:

    wrote:

    I'm afraid the rest of your trolling had to be snipped for brevity.

    So what exactly are you trying to tell us with your asstroturfing rants?

    That Appil is crapping in its pants because it can only sell 5 million
    while Linux phones are gonna beat the ****s out of appil and competitors
    by selling a million a day?

    That is where we are headed.

    Not just a mobile, but fully blown internet PC/phone with all the
    applications running straight out the box from your PC.

    Personally I can't wait to have a 60Gb Linux phone with KDE running
    on it. I could power some virtual PCs and do some real work
    whilst being mobile. Not like your average appil crap with locked
    features and low sales figures. Even Nokia sells more than 5 million
    sets a week.

    If Nokia were to sell a mobile phone with full Linux features,
    I'd eat that up in no time.

  16. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:12:29 -0400, Joe Potter wrote:

    > I'm sure that the Zune is doing better than all of the Linux based "iPod
    > killers" combined.

    You can bet your sweet bippy on that one.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  17. Re: Apple sold 5 million iPhone 3G last quarter - The OpenMoko "iPhone killer" sold?

    On 2008-09-23, Joe Potter wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> On Sep 23, 8:02 am, "Joe Potter" wrote:
    >>> And if it's "quality not quantity" that you want to argue then the iPhone
    >>> wins there too.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to argue about '3rd party apps' then there's thousands of 3rd
    >>> party apps available for the iPhone.
    >>>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/2008092...31004807437;_y...

    >> And how is WinCE doing? Any better than Zune? How about Microsoft
    >> search?

    > I'm sure that the Zune is doing better than all of the Linux based "iPod
    > killers" combined.

    Nope... individual Linux based mp3 players do quite well against the Zune.

    ...and why not? Some of us ran our first Linuxen on boxes less powerful.

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \