[News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail - Linux

  1. [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    EA in Spore DRM climbdown

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Critics claim DRM limiting those who bought the hotly anticipated sim to only
    | three installs amounts to no more than renting the software out, rather than
    | selling it. DRM also prevented players from creating more than one user
    | account per copy of Spore — even though the game's literature specifically
    | states otherwise.
    |
    | As what is now a matter of routine with modern PC games, pirates managed to
    | crack the game's DRM restrictions within a day of the game's release and
    | hosted this de-restricted content on certain nefarious file-sharing websites.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...orcement_bill/

    More proof that DRM is ineffective. Just pisses off customers and does not
    prevent copying...

    Recent:

    Did 'Spore' copy protections backfire on EA?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Enraged by what they call "draconian" copyright protections, thousands of
    | people flooded Amazon.com to give the game a one-star rating. And now there
    | seems to be another movement afoot, one that is far more likely to hit EA
    | where it counts.
    |
    | What's the fuss about? Electronic Arts imposed copyright protections that
    | limited the number of times a user can install the game to three. EA has
    | likened the system to the limits imposed on songs bought through Apple's
    | iTunes store (though in the case of iTunes, users can easily manage their
    | libraries by specifying which computers are authorized to play their
    | purchased content).
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10...=2547-1_3-0-20

    DRM Helps Spore Make History as The Most Pirated Game Ever

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Spore, a Sim-like game about the evolution of creatures, was recently
    | released as one of the most anticipated games of the year. Our initial
    | impressions were high with the release of SporeCreator. However, Spore itself
    | failed to meet our expectations. In the end, we found the game to be too
    | simple for our tastes.
    `----

    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._game_ever.php

    What EA's botched Spore launch could learn from Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If there is one thing that open source has taught us it's that there
    | are "users" and there are "customers". Odds are that all of your customers
    | will be users first, taking your software for a test drive and then deciding
    | if they want to pay for it. It's all about getting people to consume your
    | software.
    |
    | The video game industry remains one of the last hold-outs in the war against
    | consumption. Instead of encouraging more use, EA royally botched the launch
    | of Spore with a seriously misguided DRM choice.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10041210-62.html

    EA to PC Gamers: “Install 3 times? Buy another copy”

    | This can be triggered via using up your 3 activations and each time you
    | change a piece of hardware, reformat your computer or install/upgrade a new
    | operating system, it takes up one of the activations.
    `----

    http://www.simprograms.com/?p=692

    Mass Effect DRM goes too far

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | PC GAMERS WHO have had their fill of online activation headaches with Windows
    | will be pretty miffed to hear the latest anti-piracy scheme being dreamed up
    | by top games publishers.
    |
    | In a post on Bioware's forums, producer Derek French has confirmed that two
    | of the biggest PC titles of the year - Will Wright's Spore and the Xbox 360
    | conversion of Mass Effect - will require ongoing, rolling 10-day activation
    | over the internet.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...award-worst-pc

    Related:

    Vista DRM to slow down high-end graphics? [update 1]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We've posted before on how the Vista brand will change the PC gaming
    | market. But how will the OS affect the gameplay experience itself?
    | An in-depth analysis of the operating system's draconian digital
    | rights management features suggests gamers might not be too happy
    | with some of the system's unintended performance effects.
    `----

    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/25/vi...-end-graphics/

  2. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > EA in Spore DRM climbdown
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Critics claim DRM limiting those who bought the hotly anticipated sim to only
    > | three installs amounts to no more than renting the software out, rather than
    > | selling it. DRM also prevented players from creating more than one user
    > | account per copy of Spore — even though the game's literature specifically
    > | states otherwise.
    > |
    > | As what is now a matter of routine with modern PC games, pirates managed to
    > | crack the game's DRM restrictions within a day of the game's release and
    > | hosted this de-restricted content on certain nefarious file-sharing websites.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...orcement_bill/
    >
    > More proof that DRM is ineffective. Just pisses off customers and does not
    > prevent copying...

    It's a battle that can never be won. The pirates will always rip the
    content with no regard for ownership. I do think the number of installs
    is a problem with a platform as inherently pants as windows that
    benefits from a reinstall every 3-6 months if you do any kind of serious
    work with it. I know a lot of people don't like the steam system from
    valve but I think its inevitable that this system of player registration
    with the publisher will end up being the common middle ground.

  3. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    > EA in Spore DRM climbdown

    I have to assume companies that persist with DRM do so out of arrogance,
    rather than stupidity, since surely they realise by now this is a battle
    they simply cannot win. They are wasting resources and pissing-off their
    own customers just for the sake of making some kind of political stand.

    It kind of reminds me of the so-called Safety Culture being promoted in
    heavy industry in the UK (and I presume elsewhere too), where decisions
    are made that make no sense and achieve nothing, but look good on paper
    so the insurance companies and HSE will keep quiet (policy compliance).

    I suppose even the entertainment industry is not immune to bureaucratic
    insanity.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    | That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    | And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    | Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    | Signifying nothing." ~ Shakespeare
    `----

    15:40:20 up 38 days, 12:53, 5 users, load average: 0.68, 0.71, 0.74

  4. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

  5. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:07 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> EA in Spore DRM climbdown
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...orcement_bill/
    >>> More proof that DRM is ineffective. Just pisses off customers and does not
    >>> prevent copying...

    >> It's a battle that can never be won. The pirates will always rip the
    >> content with no regard for ownership. I do think the number of installs
    >> is a problem with a platform as inherently pants as windows that
    >> benefits from a reinstall every 3-6 months if you do any kind of serious
    >> work with it. I know a lot of people don't like the steam system from
    >> valve but I think its inevitable that this system of player registration
    >> with the publisher will end up being the common middle ground.

    > Hollywood hasn't met tripod yet.

    tripod?

  6. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 12:09 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:07 : \____
    >>
    >>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

  7. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 12:09 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:07 : \____

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...orcement_bill/
    >>> Hollywood hasn't met tripod yet.

    >> tripod?

    > Yes, they think that DRM serves a purpose and they have already ruined an
    > entire operating system because of it.
    >
    > The tripod point was raised in Gutmann's paper. Next challenge: how
    > to 'disable' people's eyes and ears.

    Can you provide me more info? This one has slipped passed me I have no
    idea what you're referring to.

  8. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 13:44 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 12:09 : \____

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...orcement_bill/
    >>> tripod?

    >> Yes, they think that DRM serves a purpose and they have already ruined an
    >> entire operating system because of it.
    >>
    >> The tripod point was raised in Gutmann's paper. Next challenge: how
    >> to 'disable' people's eyes and ears.

    > Can you provide me more info? This one has slipped passed me I have no
    > idea what you're referring to.

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

    http://antitrust.slated.org/gutmann/vista.pdf

    "Set up with tripod, perfect lighting, focus → perfect copy
    Can control this in cinemas, but will content providers be
    able to persuade Congress to legislate placing policemen
    in every living room?"

    That last one is hugely popular. I think Gutmann took it down, perhaps after
    the smear campaign that Microsoft's goons gave him.

    http://www.cypherpunks.to/~peter/zdnet.html

    "This is a response to a series of articles by George Ou and Ed Bott of ZDNet
    stretching over a period of more than a month. I'll try to stay away from the
    assorted personal attacks in George and Ed's articles and just outline the
    details.

    It all started with an email from George Ou, who decided, without ever hearing
    my talk on content-protection issues or seeing the slides for the talk, that
    what I'd said in the slides was wrong. I offered to send them to him, but by
    then he'd gone ahead and posted his conclusions anyway, still without ever
    actually having seen the slides that he's commenting on. Later he changed his
    story to claim quite emphatically that he wasn't attacking the slides at all,
    which seems a bit contradictory since the material wasn't present anywhere but
    the slides.

    Dealing with him was quite weird in a number of other ways as well. For example
    whenever anyone anywhere posted something that happened to agree with his
    position, I'd immediately get a gleeful email from him crowing about it. I
    never even saw the articles, because George would beat me to them every time.
    It's as if I had my own personal "news about George Ou" news-clipping service
    provided for me by ZDNet."

    [...]

    "(the "bunch of freaking morons" includes Bruce Schneier and Charlie Demerjian
    of the Inquirer, whom he refers to in a preceding email)."

    Read it. Watch Microsoft shills on the hunt.

    - --
    "There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
    include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
    economy."
    --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO

  9. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    On 2008-09-24, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 12:09 : \____

    >> tripod?

    > Yes, they think that DRM serves a purpose and they have already ruined an
    > entire operating system because of it.

    I can't go along with that part. Hollywood and the musical monopolists
    didn't ruin an OS. MS did. Rather, MS is responsible never creating a
    good one in the first place for Hollywood to help ruin.

    Hollywood just convinced the "software" monopoly to insert DRM into
    their already unusable product lines.

    > The tripod point was raised in Gutmann's paper. Next challenge: how
    > to 'disable' people's eyes and ears.

    --
    Windows: In what position would you like to be taken today?

  10. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Yes, they think that DRM serves a purpose and they have already ruined an
    >>> entire operating system because of it.
    >>>
    >>> The tripod point was raised in Gutmann's paper. Next challenge: how
    >>> to 'disable' people's eyes and ears.

    >> Can you provide me more info? This one has slipped passed me I have no
    >> idea what you're referring to.

    > http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
    >
    > http://antitrust.slated.org/gutmann/vista.pdf

    This last one doesnt work. I know about vista's hd protections but i
    dont get the tripod reference.

  11. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

  12. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

  13. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    > It all started with an email from George Ou, who decided, without ever hearing
    > my talk on content-protection issues or seeing the slides for the talk, that
    > what I'd said in the slides was wrong. I offered to send them to him, but by
    > then he'd gone ahead and posted his conclusions anyway, still without ever
    > actually having seen the slides that he's commenting on. Later he changed his
    > story to claim quite emphatically that he wasn't attacking the slides at all,
    > which seems a bit contradictory since the material wasn't present anywhere but
    > the slides.
    >
    > Dealing with him was quite weird in a number of other ways as well. For example
    > whenever anyone anywhere posted something that happened to agree with his
    > position, I'd immediately get a gleeful email from him crowing about it. I
    > never even saw the articles, because George would beat me to them every time.
    > It's as if I had my own personal "news about George Ou" news-clipping service
    > provided for me by ZDNet."

    Is George Ou the Hadron of ZDnet?

    --
    A commune is where people join together to share their lack of wealth.
    -- R. Stallman

  14. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

  15. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    On 2008-09-24, Chris Ahlstrom claimed:

    > Is George Ou the Hadron of ZDnet?

    Nah. I suspect George is a paid retard. Rhonda is a wannabe employee
    somewhere.

    --
    If your OS needs a virus scanner, RUN!!

  16. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

  17. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    Chris Ahlstrom writes:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> It all started with an email from George Ou, who decided, without ever hearing
    >> my talk on content-protection issues or seeing the slides for the talk, that
    >> what I'd said in the slides was wrong. I offered to send them to him, but by
    >> then he'd gone ahead and posted his conclusions anyway, still without ever
    >> actually having seen the slides that he's commenting on. Later he changed his
    >> story to claim quite emphatically that he wasn't attacking the slides at all,
    >> which seems a bit contradictory since the material wasn't present anywhere but
    >> the slides.
    >>
    >> Dealing with him was quite weird in a number of other ways as well. For example
    >> whenever anyone anywhere posted something that happened to agree with his
    >> position, I'd immediately get a gleeful email from him crowing about it. I
    >> never even saw the articles, because George would beat me to them every time.
    >> It's as if I had my own personal "news about George Ou" news-clipping service
    >> provided for me by ZDNet."

    > Is George Ou the Hadron of ZDnet?

    Well lets hope he's not the Chris Ahlstrom or the truth and integrity
    levels of there will have gone for a burton.

    --
    "Asshole - you just started this thread to give you a few more opportunities
    to show off what an unmitigated prick you are."

  18. Re: [News] Electronic Arts (EA) DRM Another Epic Fail

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:46:34 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-09-24, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >>
    >> ____/ Phil Da Lick! on Wednesday 24 September 2008 12:09 : \____

    >>> tripod?

    >> Yes, they think that DRM serves a purpose and they have already ruined an
    >> entire operating system because of it.

    > I can't go along with that part. Hollywood and the musical monopolists
    > didn't ruin an OS. MS did. Rather, MS is responsible never creating a
    > good one in the first place for Hollywood to help ruin.
    >
    > Hollywood just convinced the "software" monopoly to insert DRM into
    > their already unusable product lines.
    >
    >> The tripod point was raised in Gutmann's paper. Next challenge: how
    >> to 'disable' people's eyes and ears.

    Copy protection does not work.
    It never has and until they can somehow tie bio metrically to the user, it
    never will.
    All it does is encumber the honest person who buys the program.

    H20, the people who cracked Nuendo made fools of Steinberg by proving that
    their cracked version actually ran better because it spent less time
    intercepting "dongle calls" to the hardware protection key.

    Essentially what they did was emulate the hardware key in software and
    streamlined it somehow so that it was actually faster than the Steinberg
    software/hardware combo.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: