[News] IBM Could Quit ISO in Protest After Microsoft Corruption - Linux

  1. [News] IBM Could Quit ISO in Protest After Microsoft Corruption

    IBM May Quit Technology Standards Bodies

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Armonk, N.Y.-based computer maker is expected to announce the review
    | Tuesday, according to company officials. IBM has become frustrated by what it
    | considers opaque processes and poor decision-making at some of the hundreds
    | of bodies that set technical standards for everything from data-storage
    | systems to programming languages, those officials said.
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1222...ws_us_business

    WSJ: IBM Considers Quitting Standards Bodies

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Wall Street Journal is publishing an article mentioning the OOXML fiasco,
    | and the intention of IBM to leave some standards organisations (ECMA
    | Microsoft-proxy is probably on the shooting line). With the disgusting
    | Microsoft committee stuffing and the non-reaction of ISO, I would say this is
    | something I should do now in terms of protest. The current way to define
    | standards behind closed doors, closed rooms, and with archaic methods of
    | patching standards proposals outside of the public eye is something that
    | should be reformed.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-91370...andards-bodies

    "Microsoft corrupted many members of ISO in order to win approval for its
    phony ‘open’ document format, OOXML. This was so governments that keep their
    documents in a Microsoft-only format can pretend that they are using ‘open
    standards.’ The government of South Africa has filed an appeal against the
    decision, citing the irregularities in the process."

    --Richard Stallman, June 2008

    Recent:

    20 August 2008 (Microsoft corrupts the ISO)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft consummated its corruption of the International Standards
    | Organization, which dismissed an appeal by several countries against the
    | approval of OOXML.
    |
    | However, I think the EU's criminal investigation of this corruption is still
    | live. (Is it?)
    `----

    http://www.stallman.org/archives/200...20the%20ISO%29

    ISO's Day of Shame

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Riiiight: so there was insufficient support among the technical boards for
    | their dirty laundry to be aired in public. What a surprise. The fact that
    | standards bodies representing the second- and fourth-most populous countries
    | in the world were unhappy with the way the standardisation process was
    | carried out doesn't matter, apparently.
    |
    | Time for a new international standards body, methinks....
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...-of-shame.html

    Detailed IEC Voting Results on OOXML Appeals

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As I reported yesterday, the OOXML appeals brought by Brazil, India, South
    | Africa and Venezuela have been rejected by the Technical Management Board
    | (TMB) and Standardization Management Board (SMB) of ISO and IEC,
    | respectively. *I have now received the actual voting results for the IEC
    | vote, and an indecipherable screenshot of the ISO votes. *I'll hope to add
    | the ISO votes later on when I get more comprehensible information, but in the
    | meantime, here are the IEC results.
    |
    | In each case, the questions included in the ballot were the same:
    |
    | * * a) Not to process the appeal any further
    |
    | * * b) To process one or more of the appeals, which would require setting up
    | * * of a conciliation panel
    `----

    http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standa...80816081402686

    UPDATE - Countries may follow South Africa in appealing Microsoft-sponsored
    OOXML standard: ISO

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to ISO spokesman Roger Frost, "Because the period for receipt of
    | appeals remains open until the end of May, ISO will communicate on the next
    | steps in early June, when it knows whether any other national bodies are
    | appealing."
    `----

    http://www.itvendorsdirectory.ca/Onl...frica-001.html

    South Africa appeals against OOXML, call your Standards Body now!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The South African Standards Body SABS have lodged an appeal at ISO against
    | the awful fast-track process of DIS29500, or Microsoft Office OpenXML. Please
    | call your national Standards Body and ask them to support this complain. You
    | have only 7 days because the deadline is 30 May, 2 months after the ISO vote.
    |
    | Steve Pepper, being so disgused about the intervention of a Norwegian
    | bureaucrat reverting the decision of the Norwegian Technical Committee, is
    | pointing at the fact that this person is also member of the ISO Technical
    | Management Board (TMB), who will decide on the future of this appeal. I hope
    | we will have some transparency on who is deciding what inside ISO on this
    | appeal. It is time for ISO to clean up its stables, they have not been
    | cleaned for several years, and they are getting dirty and smelly.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61468...dards-body-now

    The South Africa Bureau of Standards submits an official appeal to ISO and IEC
    against OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At least one National Body has submitted a formal complaint to ISO and IEC.
    | South Africa was rather vocal about the Fast Tracking process of OOXML from
    | day one.
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...uth-afric.html

    ISO Fantasy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What OOXML Is · The ISO process, brutal and corrupt as it was, has been
    | covered to death by everyone. Its output, soon to be known as ISO/IEC 29500,
    | differs from ECMA-376 in two ways. ¶
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | What Microsoft really wanted was that ISO stamp of approval to use as a
    | marketing tool. And just like your mother told you, when they get what they
    | want and have their way with you, they’re probably not gonna call you in the
    | morning.
    `----

    http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/04/15/OOXML

    Computer experts stage street protest in Oslo against Microsoft document format
    as standard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OSLO, Norway: Roughly 60 data experts staged a rare and noisy street
    | demonstration in downtown Oslo on Wednesday to protest the adoption of
    | Microsoft Corp.'s document format as an international standard and against
    | Norway voting for the move.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He claimed the committee ignored the advice of the vast majority of the
    | Nordic nation's software experts, was pressured by Microsoft and
    | displayed "scandalous behavior."
    `----

    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...onstration.php

    OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412...xml-out-of-iso

    Demonstration outside ISO conference

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Steve Pepper, the former Chairman of the Norwegian committee responsible for
    | deciding the Norwegian vote on OOXML, is calling for a demonstration to take
    | place outside the building where SC34, the ISO committee that has been landed
    | with OOXML, is holding its spring plenary.
    |
    | The demonstration will take place outside Håndverkeren, Rosenkrantzgate 7,
    | Oslo, Norway, on Wednesday April 9 at 12.00. Among the slogans are:
    |
    | * No to ISO approval of OOXML!
    | * Defend the integrity of ISO!
    | * Microsoft: Support ODF!
    | * Ecma: Withdraw OOXML!
    | * Norway must say no to OOXML!
    `----

    http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/2008/...so-conference/

    Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as
    | strange.
    |
    | Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee responsible for the
    | OOXML standardization process, as described on Groklaw: Chairperson Elzbieta
    | Andrukiewicz was instructed that KT 182 should abstain from voting if a
    | consensus was not achieved. Well, it wasn't, and she said the members who
    | were absent could vote by e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial.
    | Click Here. -- but if they didn't vote, she'd take their non-response as a
    | yes.
    |
    | Later, when presenting the results of the ballot resolution, she showed a
    | slide that claimed 98 percent of the OOXML issues had been resolved during
    | the KT 182 meeting.
    |
    | When reminded this wasn't true, and told that the author of the PowerPoint
    | file was Paul Pesch, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Netherlands, she
    | threatened to sue anyone who repeated the assertion that Pesch was the
    | author.
    |
    | That slide had been shown at another meeting, and one of the Brazilian
    | delegates had complained about it.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] IBM Could Quit ISO in Protest After Microsoft Corruption

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > IBM May Quit Technology Standards Bodies
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Armonk, N.Y.-based computer maker is expected to announce the review
    > | Tuesday, according to company officials. IBM has become frustrated by what it
    > | considers opaque processes and poor decision-making at some of the hundreds
    > | of bodies that set technical standards for everything from data-storage
    > | systems to programming languages, those officials said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1222...ws_us_business

    Find the rest of the article at:

    http://technical-australia.blogspot....l-support.html

  3. Re: [News] IBM Could Quit ISO in Protest After Microsoft Corruption

+ Reply to Thread