[comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III - Linux

This is a discussion on [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III - Linux ; Following are excerpts from the official FAQ, entire text is found at: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/ ************************************************** ****** [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III Copyright: (c) 2002 The FAQ and Primer for COLA Team -- All Rights Reserved Frequently Asked Questions ...

  1. [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    Following are excerpts from the official FAQ, entire text is found at:

    Copyright: (c) 2002 The FAQ and Primer for COLA Team -- All Rights
    Reserved

    Frequently Asked Questions and Primer for comp.os.linux.advocacy

    Edition III

    April 19, 2002

    | Beware of those who would call you a friend for |
    | many will eat your bread while working against |
    | you. They will take credit for your good works |
    | and blame you for their own misdeeds. |
    | - The Great Unknown |

    1.1 Availability

    This document is posted on a weekly to the comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    comp.answers, and news.answers newsgroups. In addition it is archived at
    rtfm.mit.edu ftp archive and its mirrors and is also available on the
    Internet FAQ Consortium's website at www.faqs.org.

    1.2 Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy

    If you are new to Linux and/or comp.os.linux.advocacy, welcome. It is
    hoped that you will will enjoy your time in comp.os.linux.advocacy and
    find it educational. We also hope that you will find Linux as useful for
    you. and that in the ripeness of time that you will become a contributing
    member of the Linux community.

    COLA is like a meeting hall for Linux advocacy. A place where those who
    advocate the use of Linux can meet and discuss all things Linux. In
    addition it is a place were individuals interested in Linux can come to
    gain an understanding of the Linux and the Linux community and to learn
    about the capabilities of Linux from those who are experienced with the
    use, administration, and development of Linux.

    By using Linux as a user or sysadmin you are a member of the Linux
    community of which this newsgroup is an asset. The Linux community is
    world-wide and interconnected by the internet and other networks gated to
    the internet.

    The description that your news server delivers to you for
    comp.os.linux.advocacy, or COLA for short, is "Benefits of Linux compared
    to other operating systems". That description is derived from the charter
    of COLA. Sometimes advocacy groups are viewed as a place where the
    bickering undesirables of other newsgroups are directed, in order to
    remove a disruption from another group on the same general subject. That
    is incorrect for COLA.

    1.3 Contributing to this FAQ and Primer

    All those who advocate the use of Linux are invited to submit material and
    suggestions to be considered for future versions of this document.
    Submissions should be sent by email to m...@mindspring.com. You may also
    post your submissions in COLA; however, in that case you should still
    email your submission as well, so that the submission will not be missed
    as can happen if it were posted in COLA only.

    Submissions offered by those who may deemed to be hostile to Linux,
    including but not limited to anti-Linux propagandists, will not be
    accepted.

    1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

    The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    systems.

    That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup
    comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup as a
    place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the
    betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of
    Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn more
    about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does not call
    for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order
    to discredit Linux.

    You may have heard of another charter sometimes called by some the
    "original charter," that opens the newsgroup to the abuses that are
    inflicted on Linux by those who oppose Linux. That other charter never
    existed, it was a proposed charter for another newsgroup that never was
    created that would also have been called comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    On 14 Feb 1994, Danny Gould dgo...@helix.nih.gov posted
    comp.os.linux.advocacy-R...@uunet.uu.net a Request for Discussion entitled
    "Request for Discussion (RFD) on comp.os.linux.advocacy" to the
    news.groups newsgroup. That RFD was cross posted to the appropriate
    newsgroups and a number of other inappropriate newsgroups as well. It
    included the following proposed charter:

    The proposed group will provide a forum for the discussion of Linux. In
    addition, it will allow comp.os.linux.misc to deal with Linux- specific
    issues. Discussion will include (but not be limited to) the discussion of
    the pros and cons of Linux and applications for Linux, and the comparison
    of Linux with other operating systems and environments such as Microsoft
    DOS and Windows, SCO UNIX, Coherent, NeXTstep, Macintosh System, etc. It
    will be an unmoderated forum.

    The call for votes on the proposal was not posted, the issue died without
    a vote.

    On 4 Oct 1994, Dave Sill d...@ornl.gov posted 37mn57$...@rodan.UU.NET a
    Request for Discussion entitled "REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
    comp.os.linux reorganization." Thus far comp.os.linux.advocacy was not yet
    proposed. Note that unlike Danny, Dave posted the Request for Discussions
    to appropriate newsgroups only, that is a hallmark of a serious effort.

    On 14 Oct 1994, Dave Sill d...@de5.ornl.gov posted 37mn57$...@rodan.UU.NET
    a revised version of this Request for Discussion, this revised posting
    called for the creation of comp.os.linux.advocacy among other
    comp.os.linux.* groups. Dave proposed this charter for
    comp.os.linux.advocacy:

    For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating
    systems.

    The Call for Votes went out in the required form, and on 13 Dec 1994
    posted the results ikl...@amdahl.com with greater than 8 to 1 in favor of
    the creation of comp.os.linux.advocacy (our COLA) with Dave's proposed
    charter. On that date, that charter became effective and that other
    charter that was proposed for the other comp.os.linux.advocacy that never
    was created, never became anything that affects this
    comp.os.linux.advocacy.

    Those who oppose Linux and have invaded comp.os.linux.advocacy in order to
    try to subvert the purpose of this newsgroup will continue as they have to
    insult the intelligence of the Linux advocates by citing that other
    proposed charter of that other newsgroup that never came into existence.
    They also have continued to quote from the introductory paragraph of the
    Danny's Request for Discussion as though that were a part of any actual or
    even a part of the failed, proposed charter. Perhaps they feel that the
    introductory section provides them with a greater impact.

    When someone posts citations from that failed Request for Discussion in
    order to make it appear that the anti-Linux propagandists are sanctioned
    to be posting in COLA, as was done by an anti-Linux propagandist on
    January 13, 2002 in article pMr08.457$Wf1.316...@ruti.visi.com, then once
    again by another anti- Linux propagandist on February 13, 2002 in article
    d6761fb5.0202131955.6c3b9...@posting.google.com they are not only using
    disinformation they are also insulting the intelligence of everyone who is
    a reader COLA.

    2 COLA

    2.1 On Topic Subjects

    On-topic is anything anything regarding Linux that is of interest to a
    person who advocates the use of Linux, or requests for information about
    Linux by a person who would like to learn about it. COLA is also a great
    place to share your Linux success stories.

    COLA is not a place to advocate the use of other operating systems, there
    are other newsgroups for advocating them. COLA is not a place to vent real
    or imagined complaints regarding Linux. There are other newsgroups created
    for that purpose.

    COLA is not a place to post advertisements or other promotions for
    financial gain or for promoting anything other than the use of Linux
    operating system and growth of the Linux community.

    3 Linux

    Linux is an operating system based on the unix class of operating systems.
    It can be argued that Linux is the kernel of the operating system;
    however, in common usage the word Linux is used to refer to entire
    operating system as a whole, an operating system comprised of the kernel,
    systems utility software, user utility software and to a lesser extent the
    applications software. This is the practice that will be followed in this
    document. Specific instances of this from given vendors are referred to as
    Linux Distributions.

    Linux as stated above, is based on unix, but is not legally a clone of the
    unix operating system. On the other hand it looks like unix, behaves like
    unix, feels like unix enough to functionally be considered a unix. Linux
    is more compatible with both major classes of unix, BSD and AT&T, than
    they are with each other. Linux fully operates with with the other unixes
    as an equal peer via networking.

    Linux runs software compatible with those other unixes and in most cases
    the very same software does run on each of those unixes and Linux as well.
    Where the other unixes have deviated from each other with various
    utilities or services, Linux typically supports both of their styles of
    utilities. Often Linux is more compatible with the various unixes, than
    they are with each other.

    Linus Torvalds started developing Linux from scratch as a better unix than
    than the Minix that was then available. Minix is a contraction of Minimal
    Unix, and is the name of a very minimal unix that was licensed for
    educational purposes. The name Linux is in turn a contraction of Linus's
    Minix, although the actual results of Linus's early releases had already
    so far out classed Minix so that Linus's Unix would have been a better
    base to form the contraction Linux.

    One of the major goals of creating Linux was to create a unix that was
    free from the encumbrances of existing unixes and the licensing that
    restricted the use of Minix. So it was necessary to write the Linux kernel
    from scratch.

    The Linux operating system provides all the features that users and
    administrators should expect from any modern, high-performance operating
    system. Many of these features have been a part of Linux and stable for
    years. While the developers of various, so-called popular operating
    systems claim to be innovating, they are only playing catch up with Linux.
    As this document is being written, Linux is increasing its lead with the
    development on the 2.5.x series developmental/experimental kernels.

    3.1 The Kernel

    The Kernel is the core of the operating system. That is the part that
    communicates with devices, handles memory management, schedules processes,
    and provides other basic services to the systems utility software, user
    utility software and applications software. Thanks to the fact that the
    kernel handles the hardware and provides a uniform view of it to higher
    level software, regardless of your hardware platform, Linux will present
    the user with a uniform environment. That means that once you as a user of
    Linux learn to run it on a PC, or a Mac, or a minicomputer, or a mainframe
    computer you will be able to sit down to use Linux on any other of the
    supported platforms, and feel right at home. The hardware may look and
    feel different such as a different key layout or a different pointing
    device, but Linux knowledge is portable across hardware platforms. Members
    of the team that produced this document can attest to this, through their
    first hand experience on multiple hardware platforms running Linux.

    Many versions of the Linux kernel have been released, in fact since the
    release of the Linux kernel version 1.0.0 in there have been over 600
    official main line kernels released, including the AC series of Linux
    kernels there have been almost 900 releases in that time. The reason for
    so many releases has to do with the development of the kernel being an
    open process, this way you don't have to wait for months or years for a
    needed patch to be provided or for a feature that you really need to be
    made available.

    3.9 Linux's Compatibility With Other Operating System

    Linux is compatible at different levels with many other operating systems,
    ranging from the networking level all the way to running the same
    software.

    3.9.1 Compatible With Windows

    Linux can run Windows software by running that software under the actual
    Windows operating system (requiring a properly licensed copy of Windows)
    that is in turn running as a guest operating system in a PC emulator such
    as VMware. Linux can also run Windows software on Linux itself with an
    implementation of the Windows Application Programming Interface (API) via
    Wine. It is also possible to compile the source code for Windows based
    software on Linux and link it against the Wine libraries to produce a
    Linux executable of that Windows software. One note about Wine, Wine can
    only run on PC style hardware, since it is not a PC emulator hardware, and
    runs the Windows software directly on the underlying processor.

    Linux can provide network printers and act as a fileserver for Windows
    computers by running Samba using TCP/IP networking. You can also use
    MarsNWE to provide printers and network volumes using IPX/SPX networking.
    Linux can also access shares and printers provided by computers running
    Windows by the use of Samba and the Samba filesystem. Linux can also be a
    file, and print server to Windows clients by using Samba. Linux machines
    can access Windows machines that are emulating NetWare file servers by
    using the NetWare core protocol filesystem.

    Linux can read and write to Windows hard drive partitions that use the
    filesystems of MS-DOS and Windows 9x. The NTFS filesystem are a bit
    problematic because of their nature and they way their specifications
    change from version to version. Linux can read Windows NT, Windows 2000,
    and Windows XP NTFS partitions well; however, writing directly to such
    partitions is possible but not recommended.

    There is an indirect method for Linux to read and write to NTFS
    partitions. Running Windows under a PC emulator such as VMware, give that
    copy of Windows access to the NTFS partition or partitions and have that
    copy of Windows running as a fileserver. Then let Linux access the
    fileserver through a virtual or actual network connection.

    Linux understands the Windows extensions to the CD-ROM standards. Linux
    can both read them and generate them. Linux can also access Windows
    diskettes and other disk media, either by mounting them as any other Linux
    partition can be mounted, or by the use of the mtools.

    3.9.3 Compatible With MacOS

    Linux can provide network printers and act as a fileserver for Macintosh
    computers. Linux can access Macintosh based print servers and fileserver.

    Linux can read and write Macintosh floppies, hard drives, and other disk
    media.

    3.10 Linux Leaves Users Wanting Less

    From them 1950's through the 1970's users would expect their computers
    to operate as specified in the manuals and the specification sheets. The
    POP manuals (Principal of Operations manuals) and the rest of the
    documentation of those computers were considered to be faithful
    representations of the operations of those computers.

    There was one computer that was installed in 1964, the organization that
    owned it decommisioned it in 1984, and wanted to donate it to a college
    computer science department but they had lost the installation media of
    the machine's operating system. The computer was running twenty-four hours
    a day and seven days a week for those twenty years without a single reboot
    or any down time. There were components that had failed: individual tape
    drives and card readers/punches had worn out and were replaced, CRT
    terminals were added and the most of the card readers, the old model 26
    keypunch stations and most of the model 29 keypunch stations were retired.
    Disk drives were added to that computer years after the initial
    installation, None of that needed any downtime or reboots.

    In the 1970's there was the development of microprocessors and
    microcomputers, most of them matched their operating systems in what ever
    form they came in and were as reliable as the computers of the prior
    decade. Some of the hardware was problematic but the operating systems
    would generally operate as specified.

    In the early 1980's something started to change. Today many users have
    come to accept and even expect their computers and operating system to
    fail frequently, many shops now use regular reboot cycles as an attempt to
    use pre-emptive reboots to avoid crashes at unexpected times. They have
    come to expect their operating systems and systems software and
    applications software to not work as documented. What is even worse, they
    often see nothing wrong with that madness. In prior decades, if such
    undependability and unreliability were experienced, it would not have not
    been acceptable and the vendor would have to replace those useless systems
    and often had to pay for the customer's losses as well.

    Now flash forward to present day, users have come to expect very little
    from their computers. Such poor performance has led them to expect less
    and less while wanting more and more with little prospect of getting it.
    But in addition to such unreliable operating systems, there is Linux,
    leaving its users wanting less and less because it provides more and more
    all the time.

    * A stable operating system. Linux users no longer want for a
    stable operating system because Linux is as stable operating system.
    Twenty four hours, seven days a week non-stop operation for years at a
    time with off the shelf PC hardware is not anything unusual for Linux. As
    members of the FAQ and Primer team can attest to from personal experience.

    * An operating system that doesn't require me to spend a fortune on
    new hardware. Linux can run on hardware with just the computing power
    needed or that is available. Linux sysadmins upgrade to more powerful
    hardware to have more power available for their users, not to regain
    yesterday's performance from today's operating system.

    * An operating system with a decent graphical user interface.
    Or rather one that can be configured to work the way you want it too. With
    the look and feel you seek. Linux does not actually have any graphical
    user interfaces, but the X Windowing System is commonly run on Linux and
    other unixes. There are also other graphical user interface besides the X
    Window System that can run on Linux, including some next generation test
    bed systems. If a Linux user wishes he can run today a user interface that
    won't be available elsewhere for years or even decades, that is if he
    likes to live on the bleeding edge.

    * An operating system with lots of useful stuff built in. Much of
    what a person needs to purchase to get some other operating systems to be
    useful comes with the common Linux distributions. Sometimes in surprising
    ways, such as the little program named "cat" that concatenates files and
    is the more powerful original that the DOS command "type" was copied from.
    The program "cat" also provides by itself much of the functionality of
    Norton Ghost.

    * An operating system that doesn't try to prevent me from using my
    computer. Linux does not second guess or interfere with the human decision
    making process. It respects the wisdom of the human sysadmin and the user.
    There are utilities available to automate that, but in the end humans are
    the bosses. There has been a call for more "Windows like" automation to
    take over from human authority, one distribution that used that philosophy
    was Corel Linux. It is now a hated distribution by its own users as a
    result.

    * An OS not prone to viral infections.
    While in theory no operating system can be 100% all worms and viruses,
    Linux by is nature is immune enough that the possibilities that such
    little beasties exist have become like urban legends in the Linux
    community. Even if such infections could target Linux, the multifaceted
    code base would in itself limit the spread, if a sysadmin selects the
    software to run without regard to distributions and does not use
    precompiled binaries, he has just increased the level of immunity of his
    systems. The worst an attacking worm could do is crash a server program,
    but the worm creator could not actually control anything with the worm
    because he could not predict the memory layout of the program he is
    attacking on systems so independent from distributions. That same would
    generally be true with binaries supplied from a different distribution or
    different version than the one he is targeting.

    * An operating system which I can program and hack easily
    Anyone can have access to the source code of the Linux kernel and most if
    not all the programs they run on Linux. If one is a programmer, Linux
    provides all the tools and the source code to add or alter any feature he
    pleases. If he wants to write a new program and has questions, about the
    operation of the library functions, or the kernel, he can refer to the
    documentation, ask for help on-line, or just read the applicable source
    code. If he has a device for which he want to create a driver for, he can
    write it. If he wants to see how similar drivers work, there is the Linux
    kernel source code and the code of the other drivers available.

    * An operating system which doesn't decay over time.
    Since the late days of DOS programs and the coming of Window NT and
    Windows 95, there has been a pheonoma known as software rot, also known as
    bit rot. With late DOS programs it could take an individual program on a
    production system out of commission needing to be reinstalled. Windows 95
    and Windows NT elevated the software rot phenomenon from causing the decay
    of individual programs to the decay of the entire operating system. This
    is not a factor with Linux.

    All these items are things that Linux users are not wanting for any
    longer, because Linux has given to them what they have been wanting for up
    to a decade. So yes, Linux leaves its users wanting less, because it
    provides so much more of what they have been hoping for from their prior
    operating system.

  2. Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Following are excerpts from the official FAQ, entire text is found at:
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >
    > ************************************************** ******
    >
    > [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III
    >
    > Copyright: (c) 2002 The FAQ and Primer for COLA Team -- All Rights
    > Reserved
    >
    > Frequently Asked Questions and Primer for comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >
    > Edition III
    >
    > April 19, 2002
    >
    > +-------------------------------------------------+
    > | Beware of those who would call you a friend for |
    > | many will eat your bread while working against |
    > | you. They will take credit for your good works |
    > | and blame you for their own misdeeds. |
    > | - The Great Unknown |
    > +-------------------------------------------------+
    >
    > 1.1 Availability
    >
    > This document is posted on a weekly to the comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    > comp.answers, and news.answers newsgroups. In addition it is archived at
    > rtfm.mit.edu ftp archive and its mirrors and is also available on the
    > Internet FAQ Consortium's website at www.faqs.org.
    >
    > 1.2 Welcome to comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >
    > If you are new to Linux and/or comp.os.linux.advocacy, welcome. It is
    > hoped that you will will enjoy your time in comp.os.linux.advocacy and
    > find it educational. We also hope that you will find Linux as useful for
    > you. and that in the ripeness of time that you will become a contributing
    > member of the Linux community.
    >
    > COLA is like a meeting hall for Linux advocacy. A place where those who
    > advocate the use of Linux can meet and discuss all things Linux.

    That is a lie. The great majority of Roy's spam discuss Windows and
    Microsoft and mention nothing about Linux.

  3. Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    ** Most Recent No. 1 ************

    From: Roy Schestowitz
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: [News] Agenda Published for 2008 Linux Kernel Summit

    The 2008 kernel summit

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/...kernel-summit/

    ** Next Recent No. 2 ************

    From: Roy Schestowitz
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: [News] Tools for Productivity Advantage in Desktop GNU/Linux

    Make Your Linux Desktop More Productive

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://lifehacker.com/5048628/make-y...ore-productive

    ** Next Recent No. 3 ************

    From: Roy Schestowitz
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: News] More Cameras Powered by Linux

    IP camera designs run Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ** Next Recent No. 4 ************

    From: Roy Schestowitz
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: [News] Free Software-based OLPC a Win for Consumers

    Shoot For the Clouds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The bigger the better? Not when you're trying to reach the next level
    | of portability
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | A netbook is usually about the size of that '80s-era Model 100 but has
    | infinitely more functionality. These cloudbooks aren't meant to be your
    | only PC—although I do know someone who spends all day on the Linux
    | -based Eee PC 701 Asus that was introduced late last year and has a 7
    | -inch display and a chic-let keyboard.
    |
    | Asus sold 1 million of those, but its new Atom-based Eee 901, 1000 and
    | 1000 (H) have 8.9- to 10-inch widescreens, a choice of Windows or

    Oops! He mentioned Windows!!!!

    | Linux, up to 40GB of solid-state flash storage and up to nearly eight
    | hours of battery life. Starting at $599, they still have that chiclet
    | keyboard and weigh 3 pounds or less.
    |
    | With a very similar Atom- and Linux-based clamshell, Acer's new Aspire
    | One retails for only $379 but doesn't have 8GB of Flash or the Eee PC's
    | 20GB of free online storage. It has the same inch-thin Daytimer form
    | factor and webcam mounted atop its 8.9-inch backlit LED display for
    | vlogging and videoconferences. With about an inch more width, Aspire
    | One has a larger keyboard.
    `----

    http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/small-business-
    entrepreneurs/2008/09/12/shoot-for-the-clouds.html

    > That is a lie. The great majority of Roy's spam discuss Windows and
    > Microsoft and mention nothing about Linux.

    He mentioned Linux. Try again, you might win.

    --
    HPT

  4. Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    High Plains Thumper writes:

> [...]

    > | Linux, up to 40GB of solid-state flash storage and up to nearly eight
    > | hours of battery life. Starting at $599, they still have that chiclet
    > | keyboard and weigh 3 pounds or less.
    > |
    > | With a very similar Atom- and Linux-based clamshell, Acer's new Aspire
    > | One retails for only $379 but doesn't have 8GB of Flash or the Eee PC's
    > | 20GB of free online storage. It has the same inch-thin Daytimer form
    > | factor and webcam mounted atop its 8.9-inch backlit LED display for
    > | vlogging and videoconferences. With about an inch more width, Aspire
    > | One has a larger keyboard.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/small-business-
    > entrepreneurs/2008/09/12/shoot-for-the-clouds.html
    >
    >> That is a lie. The great majority of Roy's spam discuss Windows and
    >> Microsoft and mention nothing about Linux.

    > He mentioned Linux. Try again, you might win.

    Uhm so what? In one post he threatened to cut someones dick off, yet I
    dont claim he does that all the time.

    You lose again Thumper. Go and clip Roy's toe nails.

    --
    "Poor fishfarb! Pissed because s/h/it doesn't get all the attention
    s/h/it craves due to wise use of filtering."

  5. Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    Hadron wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> That is a lie. The great majority of Roy's spam discuss Windows and
    >>> Microsoft and mention nothing about Linux.

    >> He mentioned Linux. Try again, you might win.

    > Uhm so what? In one post he threatened to cut someones dick off, yet I
    > dont claim he does that all the time.
    >
    > You lose again Thumper. Go and clip Roy's toe nails.

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    17. Don't substantiate your claims
    Refuse to present evidence to support your invalid claims. Repeat
    your invalid claims and have your anti-Linux propagandist comrades do the
    same. Do the same for any invalid claims that you have notice your anti-
    Linux propagandists comrades make.

    Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll

    If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's ability to
    cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from obviously
    incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call them netcops,
    netnannies, homosexuals.

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    >>> He mentioned Linux. Try again, you might win.

    >> Uhm so what? In one post he threatened to cut someones dick off, yet I
    >> dont claim he does that all the time.
    >>
    >> You lose again Thumper. Go and clip Roy's toe nails.

    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >
    > 7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics
    >
    > 17. Don't substantiate your claims
    > Refuse to present evidence to support your invalid claims. Repeat
    > your invalid claims and have your anti-Linux propagandist comrades do the
    > same. Do the same for any invalid claims that you have notice your anti-
    > Linux propagandists comrades make.
    >
    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >
    > Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll
    >
    > If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's ability to
    > cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from obviously
    > incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call them netcops,
    > netnannies, homosexuals.

    So you think he does repeat the threat? You confuse me now.

  7. Re: [comp.os.linux.advocacy] FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    After takin' a swig o' grog, High Plains Thumper belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:

    >>> He mentioned Linux. Try again, you might win.

    >> Uhm so what? In one post he threatened to cut someones dick off, yet I
    >> dont claim he does that all the time.
    >>
    >> You lose again Thumper. Go and clip Roy's toe nails.

    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >
    > 7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics
    >
    > 17. Don't substantiate your claims
    > Refuse to present evidence to support your invalid claims. Repeat
    > your invalid claims and have your anti-Linux propagandist comrades do the
    > same. Do the same for any invalid claims that you have notice your anti-
    > Linux propagandists comrades make.
    >
    > http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killf..._troll_faq.htm
    >
    > Subject: 3.4 The nasty Troll
    >
    > If anyone does anything which will interfere with the troll's ability to
    > cause mayhem, they can become very nasty, posting from obviously
    > incorrect variations of the name etc. insults, call them netcops,
    > netnannies, homosexuals.

    And yet, in spite of the nastiness, Hadron is oddly pathetic.

    http://www.answers.com/topic/queeg

    Word Overheard: Queeg

    Queeg style is a Maureen Dowd term used in the following sentence:

    "Do they want Mr. DeLay careering around in Queeg style as they go
    into 2006?"`

    Queeg style. Fitting.

    --
    Do not open shrink-wrap until you have read and agreed to the conditions
    contained within.

+ Reply to Thread