OpenOffice.org 3.0 Release Candidate 2

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org is an Open Source, community-developed, multiplatform
| office-productivity suite. It includes the key desktop applications, such as
| a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager and drawing program, with
| a user interface and feature set similar to other office suites.

Another new LGPL3-licensed piece of software, just like Ooo:

DNA Sequencing and Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Swift is available under LGPL3 here.

Misys Open Source Solutions Launches Innovative New Open Carbon World Web
Portal with Carbon Planning Tool

No source code visible in the site though.

The year of three - when will it be?

,----[ Quote ]
| We expect to have OpenOffice.org 3.0 to be available at approximately the end
| of September, with a second release candidate being available in the next few
| days. We want to make OpenOffice.org 3.0 the best office suite ever, and
| we're confident that everyone will be excited with what we call "the year of
| 3"!

OpenOffice 3.0 release candidate out

,----[ Quote ]
| With the final version of OOo 3.0 scheduled to be released later this month
| the release candidate is a preview of what users can expect from the eventual
| release.

Open Office vs. MS Office - the Other Key to Windows/Linux Transition

,----[ Quote ]
| So, if your excuse for not giving Linux a try was that you needed to be able
| to work with your Office documents... well, you just ran out of excuses.
| Think of what you will gain, too! No more suffering through all the
| gratuitous menu/toolbar/button changes that Microsoft makes in every new
| Office release. No more suffering through incompatible file formats between
| releases, which Microsoft seems to do every two or three releases - this is
| the second time it has happened that I can recall, and I assume that the
| recent OOXML debacle means that there is another change coming in the next
| Office release. Best of all, no more having to pay to upgrade to the new
| version every time Microsoft sees fit.

The State of Kedah moves to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| A case study submitted to the Open Source Competency Center by the Center of
| Information Technology, Office of the Chief Minister and State Secretary of
| Kedah, has indicated that OpenOffice.org has been installed in 70% of the
| computers in the Kedah state government agencies. There are currently 2,202
| installed seats and by the looks of it, the numbers will just keep rising!

announcing the winner of the splash screen poll

,----[ Quote ]
| I'd like to announce the winner of the splash screen poll. We had a total of
| 789 votes, which is a quite good count! The winner is

The entire State of Pahang moves to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| Its just been made official that the State of Pahang is migrating all its
| productivity suites to OpenOffice.org. This succint memo from the State
| Secretary of Pahang entitled "Perlaksanaan Penggunaan Perisian OpenOffice.Org
| Di Semua Agensi dan Pentadbiran Negeri" (translated: "Implementation of
| OpenOffice.org suite in all State Agencies and Administrative centres")
| outlines the reasons for migrating, the benefits and how to proceed.

90 things that are the same in Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| I've put together three articles, showing tasks that are the same between
| Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org.

The Fall of Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same day that the state of New York published a report supporting open
| formats for electronic documents, mighty Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) said that
| it would support the open-source ODF format in Office 2007. Redmond's own
| Open Office XML specification may be heading for the great Recycle Bin in the
| sky, never to come back.
| [...]
| I can't say that Google or Sun or anybody else just won a bigger share of the
| office software market, and if they did, it won't help their revenue or
| profits directly anyway. But it's clear as day that Microsoft just took a
| serious hit, and the impact may take a long time to make itself felt but it
| will come.

Is Microsoft Office in trouble?

,----[ Quote ]
| And, now Microsoft isn't hurrying to support its own format, but it is moving
| to support PDF and ODF... Could it be that all those copies of Office 2007
| Microsoft boasts of selling are collecting dust at reseller and retailer
| warehouses instead of being used on office systems? Could users be sticking
| with their older copies of Office and when they do want to move to something
| newer, they're moving to OpenOffice and Google instead?
| Interesting isn't it?

Microsoft can’t support Open XML

,----[ Quote ]
| If Microsoft can’t give users a compelling reason to switch from their old
| version of Office to Office 14 their cash-flow is going to slow down
| considerably.

Is Office the new Netscape?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the cornerstones of Microsoft's competitive strategy over the years
| has been to redefine competitors' products as features of its own products.
| Whenever some upstart PC software company started to get traction with a new
| application - the Netscape browser is the most famous example - Microsoft
| would incorporate a version of the application into its Office suite or
| Windows operating system, eroding the market for the application as a
| standalone product and starving its rival of economic oxygen (ie, cash). It
| was an effective strategy as well as a controversial one.
| Now, though, the tables may be turning. Google is trying to pull a Microsoft
| on Microsoft by redefining core personal-productivity applications -
| calendars. word processing, spreadsheets, etc. - as features embedded in
| other products. There's a twist, though. Rather than just incorporating the
| applications as features in its own products, Google is offering them up to
| other companies, particularly big IT vendors, to incorporate as features in
| their products.

Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.

Open Office sweeps Sourceforge awards

,----[ Quote ]
| This must have left a mark on Microsoft.
| Microsoft was the diamond sponsor for this year’s Sourceforge Community
| Choice Awards, culminating last night in a party at the Jupiter Hotel in
| Portland.
| The big winner? Open Office. It swept the awards for top project, top
| enterprise project, and top project in education.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)