[News] India Adopts Free/Open Source Approach - Linux

  1. [News] India Adopts Free/Open Source Approach

    Firms look at open source for CSR ideas

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Adopting the spirit of open source, people are appropriating innovative ideas
    | and improvising them for coming out with solutions that help make the world a
    | better place to live. And companies are all too eager to join hands with
    | social entrepreneurs in putting their ideas on the ground, even showering the
    | social innovators with prizes, sponsorship and linkages with industry and
    | other stakeholders.
    `----

    http://www.business-standard.com/ind...335077&chkFlg=

    Recent:

    Free software vending machine

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Freedom toaster,’ a free software CD/DVD vending machine, will be launched at
    | Technopark in the city on Monday.
    |
    | The Toaster is designed and developed by Zyxware Technologies and promoted
    | jointly by Zyxware Technologies and GNU/Linux Users Group Trivandrum.
    `----

    http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/01/stor...0160450300.htm

    Related:

    Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
    | software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the Linux
    | text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training
    | and the Free Software Foundation of India. *
    `----

    http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html

    Kerala On Linux Express Highway

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
    | express highway.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
    | sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/ful...16139&magid=11

  2. Re: India Adopts Free/Open Source Approach

    On Sep 22, 7:19*pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Firms look at open source for CSR ideas
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Adopting the spirit of open source, people are appropriating innovativeideas
    > | and improvising them for coming out with solutions that help make the world a
    > | better place to live. And companies are all too eager to join hands with
    > | social entrepreneurs in putting their ideas on the ground, even showering the
    > | social innovators with prizes, sponsorship and linkages with industry and
    > | other stakeholders. * *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.business-standard.com/ind...tono=335077&ch....
    >
    > Recent:
    >
    > Free software vending machine
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Freedom toaster, a free software CD/DVD vending machine, will be launched at
    > | Technopark in the city on Monday.
    > |
    > | The Toaster is designed and developed by Zyxware Technologies and promoted
    > | jointly by Zyxware Technologies and GNU/Linux Users Group Trivandrum.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/01/stor...0160450300.htm
    >
    > Related:
    >
    > Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
    > | software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new theLinux
    > | text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training
    > | and the Free Software Foundation of India. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html
    >
    > Kerala On Linux Express Highway
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
    > | express highway.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
    > | sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/ful...16139&magid=11

    BS ... India is a country that makes a good living out of it's
    population training and talent in the area of Windows and Microsoft
    technologies. Linux brings no revenue to the people of India. Windows
    and MS technologies such as Server 08, SQL Server 08 and Exchange 07
    is where the future is. The people of India know that very well.

  3. Re: India Adopts Free/Open Source Approach

    7 wrote:

    > People are being thrown out of jobs at present if you have
    > only micoshaft knowledge principally because 75% of all
    > western contracts contain open source.

    100% of the developers at my big client are running and developing on
    Windows XP.

    > The future is open source, Java, Linux, Apache, embedded Linux, etc..
    > China has just graduated hundreds of thousands of engineers
    > with Linux qualifications.

    So show us a single world-class application developed by the Chinese. I
    don't think there's a single one.

+ Reply to Thread