The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice. - Linux

This is a discussion on The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice. - Linux ; Yes folks, Britain's biggest retailer is now selling Linux in a really big and mainstream way. Page 567 PCs & Phones. Oh, but what's that on the opposite page, headlining this whole section? The Acer Aspire One A110 Sleek and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73

  1. The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Yes folks, Britain's biggest retailer is now selling Linux in a really
    big and mainstream way.

    Page 567 PCs & Phones.

    Oh, but what's that on the opposite page, headlining this whole section?

    The Acer Aspire One A110
    Sleek and contemporary design in an ultra portable chassis.
    Linpus Linux Lite version operating system.
    Wireless enabled.
    Only £199.00

    And a few pages over, we have a full two page spread of Linux machines,
    from both Acer *and* Dell, featuring the aforementioned "The Aspire One.
    100% Freedom" and two Dell Inspirons (8.9in and 12in) running the "Linux
    Ubuntu operating system."

    To put this into context, these catalogues are not in the same league as
    Internet or high-street shopping - where "Lunex" systems are hidden from
    all but the most arduous shoppers. To make it into these bored-housewife
    "clubby books" a product needs to be so mainstream that it's practically
    daytime chat-show material. To even feature in these catalogues at *all*
    is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    that just ... damn!

    No wonder Sweaty's screaming like a little girl.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    | That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    | And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    | Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    | Signifying nothing." ~ Shakespeare
    `----

    21:40:49 up 36 days, 18:53, 5 users, load average: 0.17, 0.11, 0.07

  2. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 21:41:12 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > To put this into context, these catalogues are not in the same league as
    > Internet or high-street shopping - where "Lunex" systems are hidden from
    > all but the most arduous shoppers.

    Asus Linux machines are actually showing up on the shelves at Target, our
    second-biggest retailer in the United States. So it's changing.

    Not to mention that Amazon is not exactly that "odd outfit on the
    Internet" any more.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Homer wrote:

    > To even feature in these catalogues at all
    > is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    > that just ... damn!

    Very true.

    There's mainstream and there's Mainstream.
    Tesco is Mainstream!

    I wonder if this counts as "Seeing Linux in the wild......":-)

  4. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    bbgruff writes:

    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> To even feature in these catalogues at all
    >> is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    >> that just ... damn!

    > Very true.
    >
    > There's mainstream and there's Mainstream.
    > Tesco is Mainstream!
    >
    > I wonder if this counts as "Seeing Linux in the wild......":-)

    No. Obviously not.

    Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    shops more than most for some reason :-;

    --
    "What's wrong, (p)Rick? Were you defending the innocence of Hans "The
    Linux Butcher" Reiser, and now that he's about to give up the body

  5. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:43:27 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > bbgruff writes:
    >
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> To even feature in these catalogues at all
    >>> is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    >>> that just ... damn!

    >> Very true.
    >>
    >> There's mainstream and there's Mainstream.
    >> Tesco is Mainstream!
    >>
    >> I wonder if this counts as "Seeing Linux in the wild......":-)
    >>

    > No. Obviously not.
    >
    > Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    > coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    > lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    > shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    > shops more than most for some reason :-;

    Same here in USA.
    Check your email BTW.,.....
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:43:27 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> bbgruff writes:

    >>> Very true.
    >>>
    >>> There's mainstream and there's Mainstream.
    >>> Tesco is Mainstream!
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if this counts as "Seeing Linux in the wild......":-)
    >>>

    >> No. Obviously not.
    >>
    >> Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    >> coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    >> lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    >> shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    >> shops more than most for some reason :-;

    > Same here in USA.
    > Check your email BTW.,.....

    I don't use the hq email anymore since one of the COLA gang tried a DOS
    on it.

    --
    Bwahahahahahahahah - Anyone else think that this announcement from the MS
    marketing machine was anything other than a last ditch attempt to try and

  7. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

  8. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Hadron wrote:
    > bbgruff writes:
    >
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> To even feature in these catalogues at all
    >>> is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    >>> that just ... damn!

    >> Very true.
    >>
    >> There's mainstream and there's Mainstream.
    >> Tesco is Mainstream!
    >>
    >> I wonder if this counts as "Seeing Linux in the wild......":-)
    >>

    > No. Obviously not.
    >
    > Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    > coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    > lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    > shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    > shops more than most for some reason :-;

    Next time you're in Ireland, go buy a Euromillions lottery ticket.
    You will then have seen Linux in the wild.

  9. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:27:40 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> No. Obviously not.
    >>>
    >>> Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    >>> coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    >>> lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    >>> shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    >>> shops more than most for some reason :-;

    >> Same here in USA.
    >> Check your email BTW.,.....

    > I don't use the hq email anymore since one of the COLA gang tried a DOS
    > on it.

    It figures....
    The COLA boobs sign me up for all kinds of nasty stuff....
    I don't care, it's a throwaway....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  10. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:50:27 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> bbgruff writes:

    >>> Very true.
    >>>
    >>> There's mainstream and there's Mainstream.
    >>> Tesco is Mainstream!
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if this counts as "Seeing Linux in the wild......":-)
    >>>

    >> No. Obviously not.
    >>
    >> Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    >> coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    >> lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    >> shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    >> shops more than most for some reason :-;
    >>

    > Next time you're in Ireland, go buy a Euromillions lottery ticket.
    > You will then have seen Linux in the wild.

    Think desktop.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  11. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> bbgruff writes:

    >>> Very true.
    >>>
    >>> There's mainstream and there's Mainstream.
    >>> Tesco is Mainstream!
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if this counts as "Seeing Linux in the wild......":-)
    >>>

    >> No. Obviously not.
    >>
    >> Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    >> coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    >> lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    >> shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    >> shops more than most for some reason :-;
    >>

    > Next time you're in Ireland, go buy a Euromillions lottery ticket.
    > You will then have seen Linux in the wild.

    Foolishly I didnt think we needed to reiterate yet again we were talking
    about peoples laptops and desktops. Not profit making private
    enterprises who give nothing back.

    --
    "Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
    found some day, maybe not. "

  12. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    >>> coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    >>> lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    >>> shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    >>> shops more than most for some reason :-;
    >>>

    >> Next time you're in Ireland, go buy a Euromillions lottery ticket.
    >> You will then have seen Linux in the wild.
    >>

    > Foolishly I didnt think we needed to reiterate yet again we were talking
    > about peoples laptops and desktops. Not profit making private
    > enterprises who give nothing back.

    More than likely, when you see a *desktop* in an airport or coffee shop,
    it will be associated with a "profit-making private enterprise,"
    irrespective of its OS. I would also venture to guess that any
    "road warrior" who has not yet foresaken his laptop in favor of
    a smart phone is likewise using it for business.

  13. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:33:00 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> owl writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron wrote:

    > [...]
    >>>>

    >>> Next time you're in Ireland, go buy a Euromillions lottery ticket.
    >>> You will then have seen Linux in the wild.
    >>>

    >> Foolishly I didnt think we needed to reiterate yet again we were talking
    >> about peoples laptops and desktops. Not profit making private
    >> enterprises who give nothing back.
    >>

    > More than likely, when you see a *desktop* in an airport or coffee shop,
    > it will be associated with a "profit-making private enterprise,"
    > irrespective of its OS. I would also venture to guess that any
    > "road warrior" who has not yet foresaken his laptop in favor of
    > a smart phone is likewise using it for business.

    I travel all over the USA and all I see is Windows and iPhones.....
    I think I saw Linux on a laptop once....
    Don't believe it?

    Take a trip over to your local Hilton Hotel and sit at the bar for a bit.
    Take a look at all the laptops around and get back to us.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  14. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:50:27 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> No. Obviously not.
    >>>
    >>> Seeing "Linux in the wild" is when you see someone at an airport or in a
    >>> coffee shop using it. Except for me I have never seen this. And I do a
    >>> lot of travelling. Having said that Macs are seen more in coffee
    >>> shops. The ponytailed arses that use Macs tend to hang out in coffee
    >>> shops more than most for some reason :-;
    >>>

    >> Next time you're in Ireland, go buy a Euromillions lottery ticket.
    >> You will then have seen Linux in the wild.

    > Think desktop.

    If these machines are anything like the Powerball client machines in
    Texas and NC (and probably other states), they are nothing but a standard
    PC with a touch screen. In other words, a Linux desktop.

  15. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:33:00 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >> [...]
    >>>>

    >>> Foolishly I didnt think we needed to reiterate yet again we were talking
    >>> about peoples laptops and desktops. Not profit making private
    >>> enterprises who give nothing back.
    >>>

    >> More than likely, when you see a *desktop* in an airport or coffee shop,
    >> it will be associated with a "profit-making private enterprise,"
    >> irrespective of its OS. I would also venture to guess that any
    >> "road warrior" who has not yet foresaken his laptop in favor of
    >> a smart phone is likewise using it for business.

    > I travel all over the USA and all I see is Windows and iPhones.....
    > I think I saw Linux on a laptop once....
    > Don't believe it?
    >
    > Take a trip over to your local Hilton Hotel and sit at the bar for a bit.
    > Take a look at all the laptops around and get back to us.

    And these are not associated with "profit making private enterprises?"
    Who but a sales droid would take a laptop into a bar?

  16. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> owl writes:
    >>
    >>> Hadron wrote:

    > [...]
    >>>>

    >>> Next time you're in Ireland, go buy a Euromillions lottery ticket.
    >>> You will then have seen Linux in the wild.
    >>>

    >> Foolishly I didnt think we needed to reiterate yet again we were talking
    >> about peoples laptops and desktops. Not profit making private
    >> enterprises who give nothing back.
    >>

    > More than likely, when you see a *desktop* in an airport or coffee shop,
    > it will be associated with a "profit-making private enterprise,"
    > irrespective of its OS. I would also venture to guess that any
    > "road warrior" who has not yet foresaken his laptop in favor of
    > a smart phone is likewise using it for business.

    maybe I'm tired but I didn't understand a word of that.

    --
    "Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
    probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight

  17. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    owl writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> [...]
    >>>>

    >>> More than likely, when you see a *desktop* in an airport or coffee shop,
    >>> it will be associated with a "profit-making private enterprise,"
    >>> irrespective of its OS. I would also venture to guess that any
    >>> "road warrior" who has not yet foresaken his laptop in favor of
    >>> a smart phone is likewise using it for business.

    >> I travel all over the USA and all I see is Windows and iPhones.....
    >> I think I saw Linux on a laptop once....
    >> Don't believe it?
    >>
    >> Take a trip over to your local Hilton Hotel and sit at the bar for a bit.
    >> Take a look at all the laptops around and get back to us.
    >>

    > And these are not associated with "profit making private enterprises?"
    > Who but a sales droid would take a laptop into a bar?

    Loads of people do. All sorts. So now we dont see Linux because only
    Sales droids use their laptops in public eh?

    Sad. And poor.

    --
    "Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
    probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight
    (or Moonlight)."
    -- The Ghost In The Machine in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  18. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:42:11 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> [...]
    >>>>

    >>> More than likely, when you see a *desktop* in an airport or coffee shop,
    >>> it will be associated with a "profit-making private enterprise,"
    >>> irrespective of its OS. I would also venture to guess that any
    >>> "road warrior" who has not yet foresaken his laptop in favor of
    >>> a smart phone is likewise using it for business.

    >> I travel all over the USA and all I see is Windows and iPhones.....
    >> I think I saw Linux on a laptop once....
    >> Don't believe it?
    >>
    >> Take a trip over to your local Hilton Hotel and sit at the bar for a bit.
    >> Take a look at all the laptops around and get back to us.
    >>

    > And these are not associated with "profit making private enterprises?"
    > Who but a sales droid would take a laptop into a bar?

    You're a nut....
    Obviously you are a basement dweller.....

    Like I said, take a trip over to the local Hilton and take a gander........
    I travel a LOT and I never see Linux....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  19. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    bbgruff wrote:

    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> To even feature in these catalogues at all
    >> is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    >> that just ... damn!

    > Very true.
    >
    > There's mainstream and there's Mainstream.
    > Tesco is Mainstream!
    >
    > I wonder if this counts as "Seeing Linux in the wild......":-)

    Oh for sure!! You don't get no wilder'n Tesco!!

  20. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Homer belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > To put this into context, these catalogues are not in the same league as
    > Internet or high-street shopping - where "Lunex" systems are hidden from
    > all but the most arduous shoppers. To make it into these bored-housewife
    > "clubby books" a product needs to be so mainstream that it's practically
    > daytime chat-show material. To even feature in these catalogues at *all*
    > is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    > that just ... damn!
    >
    > No wonder Sweaty's screaming like a little girl.

    Office Depot is still having its "COMPUTER BLOWOUT" sale on Windows PCs
    over here.

    I'm sure they're happy with their corporate decision to deal only with
    Microsoft-compatible products .

    --
    An engineer is someone who does list processing in FORTRAN.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast