The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice. - Linux

  2. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:02:47 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Homer belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> To put this into context, these catalogues are not in the same league as
    >> Internet or high-street shopping - where "Lunex" systems are hidden from
    >> all but the most arduous shoppers. To make it into these bored-housewife
    >> "clubby books" a product needs to be so mainstream that it's practically
    >> daytime chat-show material. To even feature in these catalogues at *all*
    >> is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    >> that just ... damn!
    >>
    >> No wonder Sweaty's screaming like a little girl.

    > Office Depot is still having its "COMPUTER BLOWOUT" sale on Windows PCs
    > over here.
    >
    > I'm sure they're happy with their corporate decision to deal only with
    > Microsoft-compatible products .

    And Ford is having a blowout on this year's models.
    And GM is doing the same and offering employee pricing as well.

    Your point?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:02:47 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, Homer belched out this bit o' wisdom:
    >>
    >>> To put this into context, these catalogues are not in the same league as
    >>> Internet or high-street shopping - where "Lunex" systems are hidden from
    >>> all but the most arduous shoppers. To make it into these bored-housewife
    >>> "clubby books" a product needs to be so mainstream that it's practically
    >>> daytime chat-show material. To even feature in these catalogues at *all*
    >>> is pretty big news, but to actually be the headliner for a section, well
    >>> that just ... damn!
    >>>
    >>> No wonder Sweaty's screaming like a little girl.

    >> Office Depot is still having its "COMPUTER BLOWOUT" sale on Windows PCs
    >> over here.
    >>
    >> I'm sure they're happy with their corporate decision to deal only with
    >> Microsoft-compatible products .

    > And Ford is having a blowout on this year's models.
    > And GM is doing the same and offering employee pricing as well.
    >
    > Your point?

    He has none. As usual. He is simply "me too"ing to suck up to
    Homer'n'Roy.

  4. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:42:11 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> I travel all over the USA and all I see is Windows and iPhones.....
    >>> I think I saw Linux on a laptop once....
    >>> Don't believe it?
    >>>
    >>> Take a trip over to your local Hilton Hotel and sit at the bar for a bit.
    >>> Take a look at all the laptops around and get back to us.
    >>>

    >> And these are not associated with "profit making private enterprises?"
    >> Who but a sales droid would take a laptop into a bar?

    > You're a nut....
    > Obviously you are a basement dweller.....
    >
    > Like I said, take a trip over to the local Hilton and take a gander........
    > I travel a LOT and I never see Linux....

    How do you know what people are running on their computers? Are you
    really such a tard that you walk up behind them and look over their
    shoulder? You do this to every person you see using a computer in
    public?

    "Wait! Don't kick my ass! I was just checking to see if you were
    running Linux!"

  5. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >> [...]
    >>>>

    >>> Foolishly I didnt think we needed to reiterate yet again we were talking
    >>> about peoples laptops and desktops. Not profit making private
    >>> enterprises who give nothing back.
    >>>

    >> More than likely, when you see a *desktop* in an airport or coffee shop,
    >> it will be associated with a "profit-making private enterprise,"
    >> irrespective of its OS. I would also venture to guess that any
    >> "road warrior" who has not yet foresaken his laptop in favor of
    >> a smart phone is likewise using it for business.
    >>

    > maybe I'm tired but I didn't understand a word of that.

    Maybe it didn't make sense to you because I was analyzing *your* words,
    which didn't make sense in the first place.

  6. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    owl writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> And these are not associated with "profit making private enterprises?"
    >>> Who but a sales droid would take a laptop into a bar?

    >> You're a nut....
    >> Obviously you are a basement dweller.....
    >>
    >> Like I said, take a trip over to the local Hilton and take a gander........
    >> I travel a LOT and I never see Linux....
    >>

    > How do you know what people are running on their computers? Are you
    > really such a tard that you walk up behind them and look over their
    > shoulder? You do this to every person you see using a computer in
    > public?
    >
    > "Wait! Don't kick my ass! I was just checking to see if you were
    > running Linux!"

    You really see that as a good counter argument?

    Lets limit it to the "laptops" where we see the boot screen or the
    desktop then eh?

    --
    "Maybe he knows where the body is because he saw where
    it was put." -- "Rick" defending Hans Reiser (his hero) in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  7. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> I travel all over the USA and all I see is Windows and iPhones.....
    >>> I think I saw Linux on a laptop once....
    >>> Don't believe it?
    >>>
    >>> Take a trip over to your local Hilton Hotel and sit at the bar for a bit.
    >>> Take a look at all the laptops around and get back to us.
    >>>

    >> And these are not associated with "profit making private enterprises?"
    >> Who but a sales droid would take a laptop into a bar?
    >>

    > Loads of people do. All sorts. So now we dont see Linux because only
    > Sales droids use their laptops in public eh?

    Who the hell lugs a laptop around with them in public if it's not a
    fulfilling a business need?

    > Sad. And poor.

    It was *you* who complained that my example of a Linux computer that you
    could readily see in the wild during your many travels in Europe was not
    valid because it was being used in a "profit-oriented private enterprise."
    In other words, *you* moved the goalposts in that direction. I assert
    that 90 percent or more of the laptops, and especially *desktops*, that
    you might see in an airport or coffee shop *are* being used for business
    purposes, regardless of the OS, and so therefore, if they are to be counted
    as examples of "OS usage spotted in the wild," then the Linux lottery terminals
    in Ireland should count.

  8. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:42:23 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> And these are not associated with "profit making private enterprises?"
    >>> Who but a sales droid would take a laptop into a bar?

    >> You're a nut....
    >> Obviously you are a basement dweller.....
    >>
    >> Like I said, take a trip over to the local Hilton and take a gander........
    >> I travel a LOT and I never see Linux....
    >>

    > How do you know what people are running on their computers? Are you
    > really such a tard that you walk up behind them and look over their
    > shoulder? You do this to every person you see using a computer in
    > public?
    >
    > "Wait! Don't kick my ass! I was just checking to see if you were
    > running Linux!"

    Of course not.
    A quick look is all it takes.
    Better yet it's a great conversation starter.
    For Macs, just look for the Mac book.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  9. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Obviously you are a basement dweller.....
    >>>
    >>> Like I said, take a trip over to the local Hilton and take a gander........
    >>> I travel a LOT and I never see Linux....
    >>>

    >> How do you know what people are running on their computers? Are you
    >> really such a tard that you walk up behind them and look over their
    >> shoulder? You do this to every person you see using a computer in
    >> public?
    >>
    >> "Wait! Don't kick my ass! I was just checking to see if you were
    >> running Linux!"
    >>

    > You really see that as a good counter argument?
    >
    > Lets limit it to the "laptops" where we see the boot screen or the
    > desktop then eh?

    Yet more restrictions. I suppose eventually you'll get it down to:

    "If it doesn't say, 'You've got mail', it doesn't count."

    How about we *don't* limit it. At all.
    Linux is everywhere. Deal with it.

  10. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:42:23 +0000 (UTC), owl wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> You're a nut....
    >>> Obviously you are a basement dweller.....
    >>>
    >>> Like I said, take a trip over to the local Hilton and take a gander........
    >>> I travel a LOT and I never see Linux....
    >>>

    >> How do you know what people are running on their computers? Are you
    >> really such a tard that you walk up behind them and look over their
    >> shoulder? You do this to every person you see using a computer in
    >> public?
    >>
    >> "Wait! Don't kick my ass! I was just checking to see if you were
    >> running Linux!"

    > Of course not.
    > A quick look is all it takes.

    My god! You are a FREAK!

    > Better yet it's a great conversation starter.

    "Hello. I'm lonely. Is that a Linux computer?"

    "Get away from me, freak."

    > For Macs, just look for the Mac book.

    Which might be running Linux...

  11. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> owl writes:

    >>> How do you know what people are running on their computers? Are you
    >>> really such a tard that you walk up behind them and look over their
    >>> shoulder? You do this to every person you see using a computer in
    >>> public?
    >>>
    >>> "Wait! Don't kick my ass! I was just checking to see if you were
    >>> running Linux!"
    >>>

    >> You really see that as a good counter argument?
    >>
    >> Lets limit it to the "laptops" where we see the boot screen or the
    >> desktop then eh?
    >>

    > Yet more restrictions. I suppose eventually you'll get it down to:
    >
    > "If it doesn't say, 'You've got mail', it doesn't count."
    >
    > How about we *don't* limit it. At all.
    > Linux is everywhere. Deal with it.

    Wow. The other guy was right. You are a loony.

    We are talking desktops/laptops seen in public. I have seen almost
    none. What you see is probably down to the "meds of the day". I wish you
    a speedy release.

  12. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> owl writes:

    >>> And these are not associated with "profit making private enterprises?"
    >>> Who but a sales droid would take a laptop into a bar?
    >>>

    >> Loads of people do. All sorts. So now we dont see Linux because only
    >> Sales droids use their laptops in public eh?
    >>

    > Who the hell lugs a laptop around with them in public if it's not a
    > fulfilling a business need?

    You sound like Phil Da Tard now.

    Every business man give or take carries a laptop. For presentations, for
    email, for last minute scheduling etc etc.

    >> Sad. And poor.
    >>

    > It was *you* who complained that my example of a Linux computer that you
    > could readily see in the wild during your many travels in Europe was not
    > valid because it was being used in a "profit-oriented private enterprise."
    > In other words, *you* moved the goalposts in that direction. I assert
    > that 90 percent or more of the laptops, and especially *desktops*, that
    > you might see in an airport or coffee shop *are* being used for business
    > purposes, regardless of the OS, and so therefore, if they are to be counted
    > as examples of "OS usage spotted in the wild," then the Linux lottery terminals
    > in Ireland should count.

    You're mad as a hatter. We were discussing laptops and desktops : not
    specialised HW for something like the lotto.

  13. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    owl writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> How do you know what people are running on their computers? Are you
    >>> really such a tard that you walk up behind them and look over their
    >>> shoulder? You do this to every person you see using a computer in
    >>> public?
    >>>
    >>> "Wait! Don't kick my ass! I was just checking to see if you were
    >>> running Linux!"

    >> Of course not.
    >> A quick look is all it takes.

    > My god! You are a FREAK!
    >
    >> Better yet it's a great conversation starter.

    > "Hello. I'm lonely. Is that a Linux computer?"
    >
    > "Get away from me, freak."
    >
    >> For Macs, just look for the Mac book.

    > Which might be running Linux...

    Yeah, yeah. It might be running Linux .... Nurse, more meds to cell 34c
    please.

    --
    "Don't like Linux.. don't use it. Simple."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp

  14. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:18:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> You really see that as a good counter argument?
    >>>
    >>> Lets limit it to the "laptops" where we see the boot screen or the
    >>> desktop then eh?
    >>>

    >> Yet more restrictions. I suppose eventually you'll get it down to:
    >>
    >> "If it doesn't say, 'You've got mail', it doesn't count."
    >>
    >> How about we *don't* limit it. At all.
    >> Linux is everywhere. Deal with it.
    >>

    > Wow. The other guy was right. You are a loony.
    >
    > We are talking desktops/laptops seen in public. I have seen almost
    > none. What you see is probably down to the "meds of the day". I wish you
    > a speedy release.

    Take a look at his headers.
    He's obviously a real nutter.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  15. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:20:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > owl writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Of course not.
    >>> A quick look is all it takes.

    >> My god! You are a FREAK!
    >>
    >>> Better yet it's a great conversation starter.

    >> "Hello. I'm lonely. Is that a Linux computer?"
    >>
    >> "Get away from me, freak."
    >>
    >>> For Macs, just look for the Mac book.

    >> Which might be running Linux...
    >>

    > Yeah, yeah. It might be running Linux .... Nurse, more meds to cell 34c
    > please.

    Hahaha!

    Time to get the net!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  16. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:20:45 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> owl writes:

    >>> My god! You are a FREAK!

    >>> "Hello. I'm lonely. Is that a Linux computer?"
    >>>
    >>> "Get away from me, freak."

    >>> Which might be running Linux...
    >>>

    >> Yeah, yeah. It might be running Linux .... Nurse, more meds to cell 34c
    >> please.

    > Hahaha!
    >
    > Time to get the net!

    Here's the time Liarmutt got rounded up when Roy was taking him for a
    walk:

    http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/ang0177l.jpg

    --
    - "Actually XP *is* getting press, but most of it is along the lines of
    "we're going to wait and see", in other words not very good."

  17. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:43:29 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> Yeah, yeah. It might be running Linux .... Nurse, more meds to cell 34c
    >>> please.

    >> Hahaha!
    >>
    >> Time to get the net!

    > Here's the time Liarmutt got rounded up when Roy was taking him for a
    > walk:
    >
    > http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/ang0177l.jpg

    Very funny!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  18. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >

    >> Who the hell lugs a laptop around with them in public if it's not a
    >> fulfilling a business need?

    > You sound like Phil Da Tard now.
    >
    > Every business man give or take carries a laptop. For presentations, for
    > email, for last minute scheduling etc etc.

    Try reading for comprehension next time.

    >>> Sad. And poor.
    >>>

    >> It was *you* who complained that my example of a Linux computer that you
    >> could readily see in the wild during your many travels in Europe was not
    >> valid because it was being used in a "profit-oriented private enterprise."
    >> In other words, *you* moved the goalposts in that direction. I assert
    >> that 90 percent or more of the laptops, and especially *desktops*, that
    >> you might see in an airport or coffee shop *are* being used for business
    >> purposes, regardless of the OS, and so therefore, if they are to be counted
    >> as examples of "OS usage spotted in the wild," then the Linux lottery terminals
    >> in Ireland should count.

    > You're mad as a hatter. We were discussing laptops and desktops : not
    > specialised HW for something like the lotto.

    What makes you think they are specialized hardware? Why would they have
    to be? All they do is print tickets and update to a database server.
    The ones I've seen in the States for the Powerball are commodity PC's
    running a java-based touch-screen GUI app under Linux. CPU is celeron.

  19. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    Hadron wrote:
    > owl writes:
    >

    >> Yet more restrictions. I suppose eventually you'll get it down to:
    >>
    >> "If it doesn't say, 'You've got mail', it doesn't count."
    >>
    >> How about we *don't* limit it. At all.
    >> Linux is everywhere. Deal with it.
    >>

    > Wow. The other guy was right. You are a loony.
    >
    > We are talking desktops/laptops seen in public. I have seen almost
    > none.

    Are you another one of those over-the-shoulder OS peeping Toms like Moshe?
    You must get beat up a lot.

    > What you see is probably down to the "meds of the day". I wish you
    > a speedy release.

    I don't take drugs, Mr. Headron Qurack.

  20. Re: The Tesco Autumn/Winter Catalogue, featuring ... Linux. Twice.

    owl writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> owl writes:
    >>

    >>> Who the hell lugs a laptop around with them in public if it's not a
    >>> fulfilling a business need?

    >> You sound like Phil Da Tard now.
    >>
    >> Every business man give or take carries a laptop. For presentations, for
    >> email, for last minute scheduling etc etc.
    >>

    > Try reading for comprehension next time.

    try keeping in mind that your snipping does not hide your previous
    comments. One of which was

    ,----
    `----

    Clearly discussing anything with you is a waste of time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast