Re: Microsofts Im a PC Millions Actually Promoting the Mac - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Microsofts Im a PC Millions Actually Promoting the Mac - Linux ; nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote: > Microsofts latest > Im a PC campaign > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...oting-the-mac/ I was able to find the following MS "I'm a PC" ads. Are there others? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6HiEh_...eature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=10mbTU...eature=related http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNDaZ...eature=related...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Re: Microsofts Im a PC Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

  2. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

  3. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Matt on Sunday 21 September 2008 16:01 : \____
    >
    >> nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Microsoft’s latest
    >>> “I’m a PC” campaign

    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...oting-the-mac/
    >>
    >> I was able to find the following MS "I'm a PC" ads. Are there others?
    >>

    >> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6HiEh_...eature=related
    >> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=10mbTU...eature=related
    >> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNDaZ...eature=related

    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_-8IufkbuD0

    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk

  4. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

  5. Re: Microsoft?s ?I?m a PC? Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Bull****.

    http://members.fortunecity.com/pcmuseum/windows.htm

    --
    We thrive on euphemism. We call multi-megaton bombs "Peace-keepers", closet
    size apartments "efficient" and incomprehensible artworks "innovative". In

  6. Re: Microsofts Im a PC Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Hadron wrote:
    > Why is a loon?

    "Developers developers developers developers!" "Dance monkey boy!" and
    the list goes on. His behaviour marks him as a loon.

    > CEO of one of the world's most successful companies.

    George bush is president of the US. So what? That doesn't preclude him
    from being a moron.

    > And COLA labels him a "loon".

    If the shoe fits...

  7. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Err, where you deny IP and the right for patents?
    >>
    >> Do stop me if I get too technical.

    > Since when means "no patents" "giving away for free"?
    > You are aware that in europe there are no software patents, yet there still
    > exists a thriving software industry?

    For his next trick, he can also explain how M$ became the dominant force
    when software patents did not exist. That should be good. No patent=no
    ROI surely.

  8. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>> Err, where you deny IP and the right for patents?
    >>>
    >>> Do stop me if I get too technical.

    >> Since when means "no patents" "giving away for free"?
    >> You are aware that in europe there are no software patents, yet there still
    >> exists a thriving software industry?

    > For his next trick, he can also explain how M$ became the dominant
    > force when software patents did not exist. That should be good. No
    > patent=no ROI surely.

    Where did I say that? You really are a f*cking idiot at times.

    No traffic lights doesnt mean suddenly everyone will die in a car crash
    either.

    No barriers by a motorway doesnt mean every little kid will run under a
    lorry.

    FFS.

    The rules are there to protect PEOPLE IF AND WHEN someone tries to steal
    their stuff. Not everyone does it I agree.

    --
    "It's perhaps inevitable that some professionals would paint their status
    as being somehow superior to those of the amateurs, after all, they're

  9. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Hadron wrote:
    > "Phil Da Lick!" writes:
    >
    >> Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    >>> Since when means "no patents" "giving away for free"?
    >>> You are aware that in europe there are no software patents, yet there still
    >>> exists a thriving software industry?

    >> For his next trick, he can also explain how M$ became the dominant
    >> force when software patents did not exist. That should be good. No
    >> patent=no ROI surely.

    > Where did I say that? You really are a f*cking idiot at times.
    >
    > No traffic lights doesnt mean suddenly everyone will die in a car crash
    > either.
    >
    > No barriers by a motorway doesnt mean every little kid will run under a
    > lorry.
    >
    > FFS.
    >
    > The rules are there to protect PEOPLE IF AND WHEN someone tries to steal
    > their stuff. Not everyone does it I agree.

    Software is marked as someone's "stuff" by copyright and implementation.
    Software patents mark ideas as someone's "stuff", which means no one
    else can use those ideas in a similar or competitive product. Spot the
    difference.

  10. Re: Microsofts Im a PC Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Hadron wrote:
    >> I can see you're a student of the George W Bush academy of economics
    >> where every US giant that invests in a product is guaranteed payback
    >> on it, regardless of whether its a crock or not.

    > Err, what? Where did I say that? I merely said that people often need
    > their ideas protected WHILE THEY TRY and make something of it. "Liable"
    > does not mean "always".

    often? once a year? twice a year? every other tuesday?

    >>> Which bit confuses you? I'll have "7" explain it to you in big words and
    >>> with the aid of a rubber hammer and wooden blocks.

    >> Man you are completely ****ing clueless about market forces. One
    >> player protected from competition=monopoly. Competition=good.

    > Competition is good. its why people invest in new ideas and need to
    > protect them and not have some thief like you come along and steal their
    > hard work for sweet FA.

    You really are totally and utterly clueless. People "invest" in new
    ideas? What a load. People (or companies) invest in PRODUCTS. Software
    products are protected by copyright. IDEAS should never be protected by
    anything.

    >>> Are you sure you are not High Plains Hypocrite ? You're as dense as him.

    >> You aren't doing too well yourself "information is property"
    >> "protectionism is neccessary to prevent loss regardless of quality of
    >> product"

    > Actually you have just made yourself look even more stupid and
    > dishonest. Amazingly so.

    Yeah, like I said those.

  11. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>> I can see you're a student of the George W Bush academy of economics
    >>> where every US giant that invests in a product is guaranteed payback
    >>> on it, regardless of whether its a crock or not.

    >> Err, what? Where did I say that? I merely said that people often need
    >> their ideas protected WHILE THEY TRY and make something of it. "Liable"
    >> does not mean "always".

    > often? once a year? twice a year? every other tuesday?

    >>> Man you are completely ****ing clueless about market forces. One
    >>> player protected from competition=monopoly. Competition=good.

    >> Competition is good. its why people invest in new ideas and need to
    >> protect them and not have some thief like you come along and steal their
    >> hard work for sweet FA.

    > You really are totally and utterly clueless. People "invest" in new
    > ideas? What a load. People (or companies) invest in
    > PRODUCTS. Software products are protected by copyright. IDEAS should
    > never be protected by anything.

    For anyone undecided, the sentence above shows what a total jerkwad Phil
    is. He thinks "ideas" cost nothing.

    Phil Da Tard seems to think that "products" just happen without any
    "ideas".

    Ye gods. What a dummy he is. Typical COLA faithful to the core. Zero
    industry experience. Total sponger.

    Back in ya go Phil. I cant waste my thought process wondering how you
    got to be such an idiot.

  12. Re: Microsofts Im a PC Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Hadron wrote:

    >>> Err, what? Where did I say that? I merely said that people often need
    >>> their ideas protected WHILE THEY TRY and make something of it. "Liable"
    >>> does not mean "always".

    >> often? once a year? twice a year? every other tuesday?

    >>> Competition is good. its why people invest in new ideas and need to
    >>> protect them and not have some thief like you come along and steal their
    >>> hard work for sweet FA.

    >> You really are totally and utterly clueless. People "invest" in new
    >> ideas? What a load. People (or companies) invest in
    >> PRODUCTS. Software products are protected by copyright. IDEAS should
    >> never be protected by anything.

    > For anyone undecided, the sentence above shows what a total jerkwad Phil
    > is. He thinks "ideas" cost nothing.
    >
    > Phil Da Tard seems to think that "products" just happen without any
    > "ideas".
    >
    > Ye gods. What a dummy he is. Typical COLA faithful to the core. Zero
    > industry experience. Total sponger.
    >
    > Back in ya go Phil. I cant waste my thought process wondering how you
    > got to be such an idiot.

    Verses someone who thinks an idea is property.

  13. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:
    > Hadron wrote:

    >>> justification for patetns in any given market are solely to
    >>> advance the state of the art in the public domain. The protection
    >>> that patents offer are *not* an incentive for a patent regime;
    >>> they are a neccessary evil of the process. Software patents do
    >>> not acheive the goal of advancing the state of the art, and
    >>> therefore are bad for the economy.

    >> You're a clueless idiot. You sound like a mixture of Homer and High
    >> Plains Hypocrite.

    Unlikely, since I would never support patents of any kind, and I
    certainly wouldn't describe any kind of "evil" as necessary.

    You can whine all you like about companies "needing to protect" or
    "needing to recover" their investments, but the fact is they have no
    more "right" to such protection than I do if I bet on the horses. What
    businesses /think/ they "need", and what they should actually be
    entitled to are not necessarily the same.

    Business is an *opportunity*, not a *right*. Investment is a *risk*, not
    a *guarantee*. By utilising unethical laws (and lobbying to strengthen
    them) to implement unnatural "protections" for things that should have
    no such protection, monopolists pervert the Free Market Economy into a
    cartel of racketeering operations. Perhaps you adore the concept of
    gangsterism, being of dubious moral backbone yourself, but I don't.

    And since you apparently still haven't figured it out yet, let me
    explain what the *ethical* business model should be: Build products or
    provide services, then sell them. *Not* "ideas", but the actual tangible
    manifestation of those ideas. Period. That's the ethical means of making
    a profit *and* covering costs ... *all* costs, including R&D. I don't
    give a crap if some company claims they can't research *and* break even.
    Tough. If entire industries could manage perfectly well for centuries
    without patents, then these whining; greedy companies can too. Extortion
    is *not* an acceptable business model.

    Ideas are not property, should never have been considered property, and
    should certainly never have been given unnatural protection by the law.
    It may well be "advantageous" to do so, but then so is bank robbery and
    narcotics distribution ... that doesn't make it *right*.

    Now, go stand in the corner with your soul-mate amicus_unscrupulous.

    > QED.

    Not often enough to penetrate Hardon's thick skull, apparently.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    | That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    | And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    | Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    | Signifying nothing." ~ Shakespeare
    `----

    19:11:30 up 37 days, 16:24, 5 users, load average: 1.21, 1.19, 1.35

  14. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:

    > On a not too similar note, I read the other day that the euro-rulers
    > have solved their little "irish problem". Solution? Another
    > referendum next september. I'm sure there'll be another one shortly
    > after that as well if they don't get the answer they want there.

    Is that like Blair's referendum on Europe, which never happened because
    he refused to have one until everyone promised to vote YES?

    Ain't "democracy" great?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    | That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    | And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    | Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    | Signifying nothing." ~ Shakespeare
    `----

    19:18:35 up 37 days, 16:31, 5 users, load average: 0.82, 0.95, 1.17

  15. Re: Microsoft?s ?I?m a PC? Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
    > wisdom:

    >> Windows XP (best of Microsoft to date) hasn't changed much since
    >> Windows 1.0.

    > Bull****.
    >
    > http://members.fortunecity.com/pcmuseum/windows.htm

    I agree with Roy. Underneath the new paint job, Windows is still the
    same old putrid pile of mouldy spaghetti hoops. The only other thing
    that changes, is the specific multitude of ways in which it is crap.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    | That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    | And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    | Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    | Signifying nothing." ~ Shakespeare
    `----

    19:25:39 up 37 days, 16:38, 5 users, load average: 0.83, 0.94, 1.09

  16. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

  17. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    > Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying
    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/
    >
    > This is democracy???
    >
    > It reminds me of what China is doing to track 'dissidents'.

    Unbelievable!

    Just listen to this crap:

    It is also believed that there would have been a level of implied
    consent from BT's customers in relation to the tests, as the aim was to
    enhance their products.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...m_police_drop/

    Riiiight ... because intercepting communications without explicit
    consent; spying on customers; then spamming them is a great way to
    "enhance their products".

    The stench of corruption is overwhelming.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    | That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    | And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    | Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    | Signifying nothing." ~ Shakespeare
    `----

    21:15:25 up 37 days, 18:28, 5 users, load average: 0.49, 0.73, 0.91

  18. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    Homer wrote:
    >>> You're a clueless idiot. You sound like a mixture of Homer and High
    >>> Plains Hypocrite.

    > Unlikely, since I would never support patents of any kind, and I
    > certainly wouldn't describe any kind of "evil" as necessary.
    >
    > You can whine all you like about companies "needing to protect" or
    > "needing to recover" their investments, but the fact is they have no
    > more "right" to such protection than I do if I bet on the horses. What
    > businesses /think/ they "need", and what they should actually be
    > entitled to are not necessarily the same.
    >
    > Business is an *opportunity*, not a *right*. Investment is a *risk*, not
    > a *guarantee*. By utilising unethical laws (and lobbying to strengthen
    > them) to implement unnatural "protections" for things that should have
    > no such protection, monopolists pervert the Free Market Economy into a
    > cartel of racketeering operations. Perhaps you adore the concept of
    > gangsterism, being of dubious moral backbone yourself, but I don't.
    >
    > And since you apparently still haven't figured it out yet, let me
    > explain what the *ethical* business model should be: Build products or
    > provide services, then sell them. *Not* "ideas", but the actual tangible
    > manifestation of those ideas. Period. That's the ethical means of making
    > a profit *and* covering costs ... *all* costs, including R&D. I don't
    > give a crap if some company claims they can't research *and* break even.
    > Tough. If entire industries could manage perfectly well for centuries
    > without patents, then these whining; greedy companies can too. Extortion
    > is *not* an acceptable business model.
    >
    > Ideas are not property, should never have been considered property, and
    > should certainly never have been given unnatural protection by the law.
    > It may well be "advantageous" to do so, but then so is bank robbery and
    > narcotics distribution ... that doesn't make it *right*.

    Awesome summary. I agree with every statement in this. But would add one
    thing: the deciding factor on which products are successful is, and
    should always be, the demand for it. If a product is crap, it deserves
    to die no matter how much it cost to produce. And crap products should
    not be given extended life by protectionism at the expense of superior
    alternatives. Free markets cannot and should not be controlled. That's
    communism. Look at the MAFIAA fiasco for proof of that, yet they're
    still all bleating on about more DRM, more restrictions. Result: Making
    life difficult for John Q Public who obeys the law whilst the hardcore
    pirates laugh their arses off as crack after crack hits the black market.

    >> QED.

    > Not often enough to penetrate Hardon's thick skull, apparently.

    His drivellings on IP protection are the ultimate target of the
    multinationals. I think I'll take the view of an expert with an
    indisputable background in the IT sector as a measure of the true nature
    of software patents:

    "If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of
    today's ideas were invented and had taken out patents, the industry
    would be at a complete standstill today. The solution is patenting as
    much as we can. A future startup with no patents of its own will be
    forced to pay whatever price the giants choose to impose. That price
    might be high. Established companies have an interest in excluding
    future competitors." - Bill Gates, 1991.

    Hardon Quick or Bill Gates? Who understands the software industry patent
    landscape better? Place yer votes!

  19. Re: Microsoft?s ?I?m a PC? Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:25:59 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > I agree with Roy.

    What a revelation.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  20. Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast