Damn Small Linux comes through again - Linux

This is a discussion on Damn Small Linux comes through again - Linux ; I'm a real sucker for letting friends drop off their old machines... Yesterday a friend dropped off a 486-66, a P1-150 and a Celeron-500. (and four, 386's) They all should have gone to the recyclers along with the 386's . ...

  1. Damn Small Linux comes through again

    I'm a real sucker for letting friends drop off their old machines...
    Yesterday a friend dropped off a 486-66, a P1-150
    and a Celeron-500. (and four, 386's)

    They all should have gone to the recyclers along with the 386's .

    Just for the heck of it...I grabbed three, 1gig HD's that I had in the junk
    box
    and popped them (one at a time) in a removable drive kit that I have on my
    own
    higher end machine .

    It took about 5 minutes to install D.S.L. per drive.

    Then put the drives into the machines I had
    and in a few minutes had three machines working fine!
    Net cards were picked up
    and the machines took all of two minutes to configure
    (just had to increase the "colors" a bit)

    Even the 486-66 with 40 megs of RAM
    runs pretty good.

    I put them up on Craig's list
    and bet they'll be gone in a day or two.

    Last time I posted a Linux machine on Craig's list,
    it was picked up in a few hours.

    (FWIW: I live a few blocks away from a university)

    The 486 originally had win95 on it so was pretty useless.
    The P1-150 amazingly had win2k installed on a 2 gig drive!!! sheesh (no
    service packs of course , there would not have been room for them)
    The Celeron had Win98 and ran like a turtle..the HD was running in the PIO
    mode!

  2. Re: Damn Small Linux comes through again

    philo wrote:
    > I'm a real sucker for letting friends drop off their old machines...
    > Yesterday a friend dropped off a 486-66, a P1-150
    > and a Celeron-500. (and four, 386's)

    > It took about 5 minutes to install D.S.L. per drive.

    > I put them up on Craig's list
    > and bet they'll be gone in a day or two.

    This guy is asking $5 for a 486.
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sys/831795970.html

    You Linux guys sure do wheel and deal!

+ Reply to Thread