SGI Further Opens Its OpenGL Contributions

SGI relicenses OpenGL: "A huge gift to the free software community"

,----[ Quote ]
| After nine months, an open secret can finally be acknowledged: The OpenGL
| code that is responsible for 3-D acceleration on GNU/Linux, which was
| released by SGI in 1999, has been running on licenses that were accepted by
| neither the Free Software Foundation (FSF) nor the Open Source Initiative.
| Today, however, the FSF has announced that the licenses in question, the SGI
| Free License B and the GLX Public License, have been rewritten after months
| of negotiation between the FSF and SGI. The problem is now resolved, and the
| result is a code contribution that the FSF ranks as one of the greatest given
| to the community by a proprietary company.

FSF and SGI fix OpenGL Licensing Issues.

Thank you SGI, for freeing the GNU/Linux 3D desktop!

,----[ Quote ]
| In January of 2008, software code at the heart of GNU/Linux 3D applications
| was discovered to be non-free—a potential disaster for free software
| advocates hoping to see advanced graphical acceleration now common on modern
| operating systems.

Unigine Tropics Sets Linux OpenGL Precedence

,----[ Quote ]
| Unigine Tropics is set around a tropical environment (hence its name) and it
| runs through various scenes of an island during both the day and night. Some
| of its technical features though include a dynamic sky with light scattering,
| live water with a surf zone and caustics, special materials for vegetation,
| HDR rendering, parallel split shadow map for the sun, depth of field, and
| real-time ambient occlusion. Whether you are interested in benchmarking or
| not, this is one impressive graphics demo just to watch -- permitting your
| graphics card can handle it!

OpenGL 3.0 - A Big Step in the Right Direction

,----[ Quote ]
| GL 3.0 takes two important steps to moving open standard graphics forward in
| a major way. The first is to provide core and ARB extension access to the new
| and exciting capabilities of hardware. The second is to create a roadmap that
| allows developers to see what parts of core specifications will be going away
| in the future, also providing the OpenGL ARB with a way to introduce new
| features faster.

OpenGL 3 Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenGL Architecture Review Board officially announced OpenGL 3 on August
| 8th 2007 at the Siggraph Birds of a Feather (BOF) in San Diego, CA.
| [...]
| OpenGL 3 is a true industry effort with broad support from all vendors in the
| ARB. The OpenGL 3 specification is on track to be finalized at the next
| face-to-face meeting of the OpenGL ARB, at the end of August.

DirectX 10 vs OpenGL 2.1 Graphics

,----[ Quote ]
| Now check out OpenGL 2.1 vs. DirectX 10 / 9 graphics.

OpenGL is far from dead

,----[ Quote ]
| Khronos took over the running of the OpenGL Architecture Review
| Board last Autumn and has managed to get chip-makers like Nvidia
| to open up DX10-esque hardware features in the OpenGL system.
| "The extension mechanism has also allowed manufacturers of high
| end cards to gracefully expose DirectX 10 features on Windows
| XP," Splash said.

Apple’s Leopard with DirectX-like OpenGL? More hints.

,----[ Quote ]
| This means that the main person behind the newest OpenGL - which will support
| all the new graphics technology available today - is employed by Apple.

Valve survey shows hundreds of thousands steamed up

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the survey also shows how far Microsoft et al have to go
| - currently, DX10-capable gamers (ie those with Vista and a DX10 card)
| make up 1.21% of the gaming population.
| * * * * ^^^^^

DAAMIT! AMD's DX10 is not up to scratch

,----[ Quote ]
| The gap isn't much, but there's a good 10-15 per cent difference between
| the two cards, and this is rather disappointing for a card that has
| been repeatedly marketed as future proof.

Inside CNET Labs: Lamenting DirectX 10

,----[ Quote ]
| We compared the same title side by side on a system running DX10 on Vista to
| the same title on an identical system running DX9 on XP, and it's
| difficult--sometimes impossible--to detect significant differences in how the
| games look or perform. *

Adding DX10 has "done nothing"

,----[ Quote ]
| Having tested the DX10 rendering path against the DX9 version, the chaps at
| the fantastically named Elite Bastards say that they can't "Help but feel a
| little disappointed to see yet another game where the inclusion of DirectX 10
| functionality has done nothing for the title either graphically or from
| performance standpoint". * *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)