Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you - Linux

This is a discussion on Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you - Linux ; "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign, after everyone thought it was crap." http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/ When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and read what amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

  1. Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign, after
    everyone thought it was crap."

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/

    When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and read what
    amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. the benefits to MS of this
    campaign, and how FOSS would not succeed because it doesn't have similar.....


  2. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    On Sep 18, 5:53 am, bbgruff wrote:
    > "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign, after
    > everyone thought it was crap."
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/
    >
    > When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and read what
    > amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. the benefits to MS of this
    > campaign, and how FOSS would not succeed because it doesn't have similar.....


    The New York Times has an article today analyzing the strategy being
    pursued by Microsoft and their ad agency. It compares it to what
    Hertz did with Avis, and other cases. It says it is risky for
    Microsoft.

    Amicus is predictable and usually uninteresting because he sounds just
    like what a paid advocate for Microsoft would sound like. His
    arguments are not deep. In particular, he seldom or never takes an
    idea and examines it intellectually, looking at it from more than one
    angle. Instead, it's just what you'd expect from the Microsoft PR
    department.

  3. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    On Sep 18, 7:53*am, bbgruff wrote:
    > "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign, after
    > everyone thought it was crap."
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/
    >
    > When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and readwhat
    > amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. the benefits to MS of this
    > campaign, and how FOSS would not succeed because it doesn't have similar......



    Here's another link:

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10081&tag=nl.e539

    I have heard the following hypothesis: Gates was persuaded that
    shaking his rear bottom was a stroke of genius, but instead became
    furious when he saw what some creative types did:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQMg...eature=related

    Notice that alternate ending where a fart is added, followed by "Vista
    Stinks" and a BSOD.

    That about "Back Orifice"...

    Apart from that, the homosexual subtext and connotations in the ad are
    undeniable. The only more obvious choice of words would have been:

    "Is that your toe, or are you just happy to see me?"

    -RFH


  4. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:53:17 UTC, bbgruff wrote:

    -> "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign, after
    -> everyone thought it was crap."
    ->
    -> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/
    ->
    -> When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and read what
    -> amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. the benefits to MS of this
    -> campaign, and how FOSS would not succeed because it doesn't have similar.....
    ->

    And I read they sunk $300 million into that poopfest. Maybe that was
    for the entire campaign and since they killed it they save a few
    bucks. Can't micro$oft do anything right and not lose $100's of
    millions to boot? I wonder if Seinfeld gets to keep the entire $10
    million he was supposed to be paid.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    Warpstock 2008 - Santa Cruz, California: http://www.warpstock.org
    Warpstock Europe 2008 - Düsseldorf, Germany: http://www.warpstock.eu

  5. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    ____/ bbgruff on Thursday 18 September 2008 12:53 : \____

    > "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign, after
    > everyone thought it was crap."
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/
    >
    > When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and read
    > what amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. the benefits to MS of
    > this campaign, and how FOSS would not succeed because it doesn't have
    > similar.....


    Sorry Jerry ruined his reputation for nothing. Both will go down the ashtray.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    http://Schestowitz.com | Free as in Free Beer | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    Load average (/proc/loadavg): 0.91 1.14 0.98 6/251 19581
    http://iuron.com - semantic search engine project initiative
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

    iEYEARECAAYFAkjSkEkACgkQU4xAY3RXLo74ogCgiKdpSSMEa4 VUJKSoO2U75LtH
    BCoAnR1M4UX9aUHOqfbUBSvTRdlYqHfd
    =PPbH
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  6. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you


    "bbgruff" wrote in message
    news:6jf19rF309hfU1@mid.individual.net...
    > "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign,
    > after
    > everyone thought it was crap."
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/
    >
    > When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and read
    > what
    > amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. the benefits to MS of
    > this
    > campaign, and how FOSS would not succeed because it doesn't have
    > similar.....
    >

    I liked the ads, but even so, Microsoft continues to make billions and FOSS
    folk go around with their empty pockets. What could your point ever be?


  7. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:31:02 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:


    > I liked the ads, but even so, Microsoft continues to make billions and FOSS
    > folk go around with their empty pockets. What could your point ever be?


    I thought the ads were silly.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  8. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:30:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > ____/ bbgruff on Thursday 18 September 2008 12:53 : \____
    >
    >> "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign, after
    >> everyone thought it was crap."
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/
    >>
    >> When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and read
    >> what amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. the benefits to MS of
    >> this campaign, and how FOSS would not succeed because it doesn't have
    >> similar.....

    >
    > Sorry Jerry ruined his reputation for nothing. Both will go down the ashtray.


    At least he has a reputation to ruin, Schestowitz.
    BTW I don't think the guy is funny.
    Never have.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  9. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    On 2008-09-18, bbgruff claimed:
    > "Microsoft has ditched its Jerry Seinfeld-fronted advertising campaign, after
    > everyone thought it was crap."
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09...campaign_over/
    >
    > When I have time (don't hold your breath!) I really must go back and read what
    > amicus_whatsit said in his learned paper to me re. the benefits to MS of this
    > campaign, and how FOSS would not succeed because it doesn't have similar.....


    I don't know why. It won't be anything more than warmed-over
    "reasoning" that he used for several other worthless MS causes he
    supports.

    --
    Friends don't let friends use Windows.

    ---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ----
    http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

  10. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Dodel spake thusly:

    > And I read they sunk $300 million into that poopfest.


    That's nothing. They sunk 10 *Billion* into that other poopfest, Vista.

    "Sunk" is definitely the operative word.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.25.11-60.fc8
    19:28:04 up 33 days, 16:41, 5 users, load average: 0.22, 0.17, 0.16

  11. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you


    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    news:10u189lp8ocjs.1s5xemkcgx8qa$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:31:02 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I liked the ads, but even so, Microsoft continues to make billions and
    >> FOSS
    >> folk go around with their empty pockets. What could your point ever be?

    >
    > I thought the ads were silly.
    > --

    Lots of things are silly. Some people like silly things.


  12. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:17:40 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > news:10u189lp8ocjs.1s5xemkcgx8qa$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:31:02 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I liked the ads, but even so, Microsoft continues to make billions and
    >>> FOSS
    >>> folk go around with their empty pockets. What could your point ever be?

    >>
    >> I thought the ads were silly.
    >> --

    > Lots of things are silly. Some people like silly things.


    Yea, but these ads defiantly missed the mark.
    I've played keyboards on a decent number of TV commercials and I have a
    reasonable knowledge of what goes on. Music is often very important in
    hooking the consumer.
    These commercials are terrible IMHO.
    They leave you wondering what happened?
    At least that's the way I perceive it.

    The Apple commercials are pure genius, most of them anyway.

    So was the " Dude you're getting a Dell " commercials.

    Even the IBM commercials are decent because you have no idea the first
    time you see one what company they are promoting until the very end.
    However, now that you have seen one of them, the next one you see may be
    totally different, and for a different IBM product but still you instantly
    know it's an IBM commercial.

    How?

    The color blue they use in various parts of the spot.
    People remember that color and associate it with IBM,

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

  13. Re: Seinfeld and Gates, we hardly knew you

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:27:52 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:


    > Apparently, his popular television show had Macs in view on a regular
    > basis. I've barely watched his show myself, as I didn't find it
    > particularly funny, and I've no idea what his personal preference might
    > be. Maybe he doesn't have a computer?


    Yikes.
    I agree with Mark Kent.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
    Please Visit www.linsux.org

+ Reply to Thread