Testing Multi Threaded program on linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Testing Multi Threaded program on linux - Linux ; Hello all, Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on linux platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on pthread library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or technique to test that application. i ...

  1. Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

    Hello all,

    Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on linux
    platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on pthread
    library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or technique to test
    that application. i have found some testing tools for Java and C#.
    But Still I don't get any tools for C on linux platform. Can anyone
    give information/link about free testing tools or techniques which may
    help me to test our application and find out Problems, for example:
    race condition, dead lock etc that can be raised any time???

    Thanks and regrads
    Nasif

  2. Re: Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

    In article <59c70a0c-85a3-4c20-b73e-6c591e087dae@l33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
    Nasif wrote:
    >Hello all,
    >
    >Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on linux
    >platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on pthread
    >library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or technique to test
    >that application. i have found some testing tools for Java and C#.
    >But Still I don't get any tools for C on linux platform. Can anyone
    >give information/link about free testing tools or techniques which may
    >help me to test our application and find out Problems, for example:
    >race condition, dead lock etc that can be raised any time???

    I am about to destroy your thread (make you wish you'd never posted at
    all), as well as demonstrate "the CLC effect". The point is that you
    have posted to a number of groups and your post is just fine for most of
    those groups. However, you have also posted to the oddly-named newsgroup
    comp.lang.c (whose name suggests that it is about the C language, but it
    is anything but). This newsgroup is populated by a bunch of nutcases,
    who say things like:

    Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

    --
    Useful clc-related links:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

  3. Re: Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

    Nasif wrote:

    > Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on
    > linux platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on
    > pthread library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or
    > technique to test that application. i have found some testing
    > tools for Java and C#. But Still I don't get any tools for C on
    > linux platform. Can anyone give information/link about free
    > testing tools or techniques which may help me to test our
    > application and find out Problems, for example: race condition,
    > dead lock etc that can be raised any time???

    Off topic on most of the newsgroups used. F'ups set to the one
    where the question is topical.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

    This will be a problem. The best i found is Sun Studio on SPARC
    Hardware and XCode 3 on Apple Systems.
    Both are free and the unix layer seems to be portable enough.

    For both you can purchase hardware cheap on Ebay. A dual core Blade
    1000 goes for 150 US$ these days.

    On Linux you might try Valgrind but it is more for single threaded
    analysis like L2 cache use etc.

    Maybe VTune but it's not free and i've not used it in the past.

  5. Re: Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

    scholz.lothar@gmail.com wrote:

    > This will be a problem. The best i found is Sun Studio on SPARC
    > Hardware and XCode 3 on Apple Systems.
    > Both are free and the unix layer seems to be portable enough.
    >
    > For both you can purchase hardware cheap on Ebay. A dual core
    > Blade 1000 goes for 150 US$ these days.
    >
    > On Linux you might try Valgrind but it is more for single
    > threaded analysis like L2 cache use etc.
    >
    > Maybe VTune but it's not free and i've not used it in the past.

    Pointless lacking any quotation. Also off-topic on most of the
    cross-posted threads. F'up set to a thread where it MAY be
    topical.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  6. Re: Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

    On Sep 23, 5:36 am, scholz.lot...@gmail.com wrote:
    > This will be a problem. The best i found is Sun Studio on SPARC
    > Hardware and XCode 3 on Apple Systems.
    > Both are free and the unix layer seems to be portable enough.
    >
    > For both you can purchase hardware cheap on Ebay. A dual core Blade
    > 1000 goes for 150 US$ these days.
    >
    > On Linux you might try Valgrind but it is more for single threaded
    > analysis like L2 cache use etc.
    >
    > Maybe VTune but it's not free and i've not used it in the past.

    Shameless plug time: another not-free tool is my own company's UndoDB
    - http://undo-software.com/

    It's not for testing per se - it's a reversible debugger. But when
    you want to go from testing to fixing the bugs thrown up by your
    testing (which let's face it, is the hard part) then UndoDB is
    incredibly powerful. It works just like a normal debugger, except you
    can step /backwards/. You can jump back to an arbitrary point in your
    program's history, and jump forwards and back as much as you like. Or
    step back line-by-line. It works with multithreaded programs just
    fine. It's also scalable - typical slow-down while running in "record
    mode" is about 2x or 2.5x.

    Advert ends

    Cheers,

    Greg

  7. Re: Testing Multi Threaded program on linux

    Hello Nasif,

    I would recommend the following tools:

    - LTT or LTTng - open source, free
    - VTune from Intel in the case that you run your application on x86 based
    system - apx. 500 USD annual subscription

    Best regards,

    Sani

    "Nasif" wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Currently we are developing a multi threaded application in C on linux
    > platform. For our application we have designed a wrapper on pthread
    > library. Now I need some free testing tool/suite or technique to test
    > that application. i have found some testing tools for Java and C#.
    > But Still I don't get any tools for C on linux platform. Can anyone
    > give information/link about free testing tools or techniques which may
    > help me to test our application and find out Problems, for example:
    > race condition, dead lock etc that can be raised any time???
    >
    > Thanks and regrads
    > Nasif

+ Reply to Thread