Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges. - Linux ; I decided to boot my laptop into Ubuntu today. I was probably due for a few updates and I wanted to check out a few things. I start Ubuntu, log in and the first thing that I notice is that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

  1. Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    I decided to boot my laptop into Ubuntu today. I was probably due for a few updates and I wanted to check out a few things. I start Ubuntu, log in and the first thing that I notice is that some of the gDesklets that I installed didn't start. Logging out then logging back in fixed this and now I have the CPU, Memory, network and Analog Clock desklet running again.

    A few seconds later the notifier pops up telling me that I have 20-Megs of updates to download and install. The list looks good so I type in my password and start the download. A couple of the downloads that it tells me that are available are these Firefox updates:


    Version 2.0.0.15+1nobinonly-0ubuntu0.7.10:

    * New security/stability upstream release (v2.0.0.15)
    - see USN-619-1


    Great except that the download fails. It tells me that the downloads are available but apparently they aren't.


    W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po....7.10_i386.deb
    404 Not Found

    W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po....7.10_i386.deb
    404 Not Found



    ***** Suddenly I notice that the cooling fan on the laptop is roaring. I run PS and see that some 'scrollkeeper-up' application is pegging my CPU.


    top - 15:55:42 up 36 min, 2 users, load average: 2.12, 3.19, 2.68
    Tasks: 113 total, 2 running, 111 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 52.0%us, 4.2%sy, 13.9%ni, 22.0%id, 7.3%wa, 0.4%hi, 0.3%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 507596k total, 501904k used, 5692k free, 13500k buffers
    Swap: 1052248k total, 34700k used, 1017548k free, 140912k cached

    PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    6553 root 35 10 58232 55m 1464 R 69.3 11.1 5:09.34 scrollkeeper-up
    12946 zeke 15 0 43660 27m 11m S 7.9 5.6 0:09.14 python
    1 root 18 0 2952 1856 532 S 0.0 0.4 0:01.34 init
    2 root 14 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 kthreadd
    3 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 migration/0
    4 root 34 19 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 ksoftirqd/0
    5 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 watchdog/0
    6 root 10 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.01 events/0
    7 root 17 -5 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 khelper



    I decide to capture all of this into a file so that I can post it here. So I run gedit 2.20.3. I then press "Ctrl+S" to save the file and even this is screwed up.

    Focus appears to be at top of the dialog where you type in the filename for the document. But you can't even type in the filename because even though it "looks" like that's where the input focus is when you start typing chars the list of folders/subdirectories is getting selected as you type. You have to explicitly set the focus to the filename control before you can enter the name of the file.

    Absolutely terrible!!!!


    Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are way
    too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a regular
    basis.






  2. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    Roger wrote:

    > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are way
    > too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a regular
    > basis.


    Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large US
    corporation, of course.

    Yeah.
    --
    Facts are sacred ... but comment is free

  3. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Sep 17, 8:53 am, Robin T Cox wrote:
    > Roger wrote:
    > > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are way
    > > too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a regular
    > > basis.

    >
    > Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large US
    > corporation, of course.
    >
    > Yeah.
    > --
    > Facts are sacred ... but comment is free


    Funny, isn't it, how all these one-timers with no previous posting
    history on cola or anywhere else just pop up out of nowhere with
    "Linux destroyed my hard disk" type stories. They always love Linux,
    but just find themselves unfortunately forced to go back to Windows.
    Sort of reminds you of our all-time master of nymshifting, anonymous
    posting, ie Moshe flatfish Goldfarb himself.

  4. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:53:11 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Roger wrote:
    >
    >> Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are
    >> way too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a
    >> regular basis.

    >
    > Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large US
    > corporation, of course.
    >
    >



    Complain all you want girl but the fact of the matter is that this rather
    large US software company is currently doing a much better job providing a
    desktop OS than the bearded, sandal wearing, granola eating masses.

    I also noticed that you have no comment about the slew of problems that
    even a casual user is bound to run into.

    > Yeah.


    Yeah... when some 'scrollkeeper-up' application toasts the CPU and kills
    any chance of reasonable battery life the average user is going to be
    really happy with their penguin.

  5. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    * Roger peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > ***** Suddenly I notice that the cooling fan on the laptop is roaring.
    > I run PS and see that some 'scrollkeeper-up' application is pegging my
    > CPU.


    "Roaring". Nice hyperbolic touch, there.

    > Absolutely terrible!!!!
    >
    > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are way
    > too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a regular
    > basis.


    Quit lemonating and go back to Vista with your anecdote, troll boi.

    --
    Real programmers disdain structured programming. Structured programming is
    for compulsive neurotics who were prematurely toilet- trained. They wear
    neckties and carefully line up pencils on otherwise clear desks.

  6. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    * Roger peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Complain all you want girl but the fact of the matter is that this rather
    > large US software company is currently doing a much better job providing a
    > desktop OS than the bearded, sandal wearing, granola eating masses.


    Heh heh.

    > I also noticed that you have no comment about the slew of problems that
    > even a casual user is bound to run into.
    >
    >> Yeah.

    >
    > Yeah... when some 'scrollkeeper-up' application toasts the CPU and kills
    > any chance of reasonable battery life the average user is going to be
    > really happy with their penguin.


    A stock troll from the Wintroll handbook.

    --
    QOTD:
    I opened Pandora's box, let the cat out of the bag and put the
    ball in their court.
    -- Hon. J. Hacker (The Ministry of Administrative Affairs)

  7. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:01:00 -0700, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > On Sep 17, 8:53 am, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >> Roger wrote:
    >> > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are
    >> > way too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a
    >> > regular basis.

    >>
    >> Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large US
    >> corporation, of course.
    >>
    >> Yeah.
    >> --
    >> Facts are sacred ... but comment is free

    >
    > Funny, isn't it, how all these one-timers with no previous posting
    > history on cola or anywhere else just pop up out of nowhere with "Linux
    > destroyed my hard disk" type stories. They always love Linux, but just
    > find themselves unfortunately forced to go back to Windows. Sort of
    > reminds you of our all-time master of nymshifting, anonymous posting, ie
    > Moshe flatfish Goldfarb himself.


    So search for "scrollkeeper-update CPU" and the first dozen or so hits are
    people complaining how it's "extremely CPU intensive."

    Do a similar search for gDesklets not automatically starting up on login.
    It's also correct and accurate.

    The updates for Firefox that are supposedly available are not really
    available. But feel free to also ignore that fact.

    Fireup gedit yourself and try to save a file. The CORRECT way is for the
    Save-As dialog to appear and focus to be in the correct place where the
    user can simply type in the filename and press to save the file.
    But that's not how it works.



    Funny, isn't it, how a moron like you worries more about posting history
    than actual verifiable problems with an OS. I guess it's easier to try and
    discredit the messenger than to actually acknowledge that Linux has more
    than a few rough edges.


  8. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    Roger wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:01:00 -0700, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 17, 8:53 am, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>> Roger wrote:
    >>> > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are
    >>> > way too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a
    >>> > regular basis.
    >>>
    >>> Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large US
    >>> corporation, of course.
    >>>
    >>> Yeah.
    >>> --
    >>> Facts are sacred ... but comment is free

    >>
    >> Funny, isn't it, how all these one-timers with no previous posting
    >> history on cola or anywhere else just pop up out of nowhere with "Linux
    >> destroyed my hard disk" type stories. They always love Linux, but just
    >> find themselves unfortunately forced to go back to Windows. Sort of
    >> reminds you of our all-time master of nymshifting, anonymous posting, ie
    >> Moshe flatfish Goldfarb himself.

    >
    > So search for "scrollkeeper-update CPU" and the first dozen or so hits are
    > people complaining how it's "extremely CPU intensive."
    >
    > Do a similar search for gDesklets not automatically starting up on login.
    > It's also correct and accurate.
    >
    > The updates for Firefox that are supposedly available are not really
    > available. But feel free to also ignore that fact.
    >
    > Fireup gedit yourself and try to save a file. The CORRECT way is for the
    > Save-As dialog to appear and focus to be in the correct place where the
    > user can simply type in the filename and press to save the file.
    > But that's not how it works.
    >
    >
    >
    > Funny, isn't it, how a moron like you worries more about posting history
    > than actual verifiable problems with an OS. I guess it's easier to try and
    > discredit the messenger than to actually acknowledge that Linux has more
    > than a few rough edges.


    Nothing is perfect, dear chap. And if we all have to wait until every
    invention of mankind is perfect before letting the general consumer use it,
    then clearly Mr Ford was doing us all a grave disservice in releasing his
    Model T.

    The argument is stupid in the extreme.

    --
    Facts are sacred ... but comment is free

  9. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:16:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Roger peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> ***** Suddenly I notice that the cooling fan on the laptop is roaring.
    >> I run PS and see that some 'scrollkeeper-up' application is pegging my
    >> CPU.

    >
    > "Roaring". Nice hyperbolic touch, there.
    >
    >

    Yeah "roaring" - I've had this laptop for about 2 years and I've never
    heard the CPU fan have to run at the highest speed in order to keep the
    CPU cool. Evidently this 'scrollkeeper-up' application has a history of
    maxing out the CPU so what do you expect a laptop to do when the CPU runs
    at 100% for who knows how long.

    >> Absolutely terrible!!!!
    >>
    >> Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are
    >> way too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a
    >> regular basis.

    >
    > Quit lemonating and go back to Vista with your anecdote, troll boi.





    Don't run Vista. Maybe one day I will but right now I don't. I don't run
    Linux all that often either. Whenever I do try it I run into all sorts of
    problems and issues with the OS. Apps going into some sort of infinite
    loop (scrollkeeper-up) and even a simple File Save-As dialog box not
    working as expected don't give me much confidence in Linux being ready for
    the desktop anytime soon.


  10. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    Roger wrote:

    > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there are way
    > too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this OS on a regular
    > basis.


    another flatfish troll.

    PLONK

  11. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    Roger writes:

    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:29:01 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Roger wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:01:00 -0700, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sep 17, 8:53 am, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>>>> Roger wrote:
    >>>>> > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there
    >>>>> > are way too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this
    >>>>> > OS on a regular basis.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large
    >>>>> US corporation, of course.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yeah.
    >>>>> --
    >>>>> Facts are sacred ... but comment is free
    >>>>
    >>>> Funny, isn't it, how all these one-timers with no previous posting
    >>>> history on cola or anywhere else just pop up out of nowhere with
    >>>> "Linux destroyed my hard disk" type stories. They always love Linux,
    >>>> but just find themselves unfortunately forced to go back to Windows.
    >>>> Sort of reminds you of our all-time master of nymshifting, anonymous
    >>>> posting, ie Moshe flatfish Goldfarb himself.
    >>>
    >>> So search for "scrollkeeper-update CPU" and the first dozen or so hits
    >>> are people complaining how it's "extremely CPU intensive."
    >>>
    >>> Do a similar search for gDesklets not automatically starting up on
    >>> login. It's also correct and accurate.
    >>>
    >>> The updates for Firefox that are supposedly available are not really
    >>> available. But feel free to also ignore that fact.
    >>>
    >>> Fireup gedit yourself and try to save a file. The CORRECT way is for
    >>> the Save-As dialog to appear and focus to be in the correct place where
    >>> the user can simply type in the filename and press to save the
    >>> file. But that's not how it works.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Funny, isn't it, how a moron like you worries more about posting
    >>> history than actual verifiable problems with an OS. I guess it's easier
    >>> to try and discredit the messenger than to actually acknowledge that
    >>> Linux has more than a few rough edges.

    >>
    >> Nothing is perfect, dear chap. And if we all have to wait until every
    >> invention of mankind is perfect before letting the general consumer use
    >> it, then clearly Mr Ford was doing us all a grave disservice in
    >> releasing his Model T.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Nobody is asking for or expecting perfection. But your straw man argument
    > of nothing is perfect doesn't hold water. If airplanes were randomly
    > falling out of the sky at a rate of 2 per hour you couldn't excuse it by
    > claiming that nothing is perfect.
    >
    > I'm not asking for or expecting perfection. But I don't expect my CPU to
    > run pegged at 100% capacity after a few minutes because some application
    > goes into an infinite loop. And I expect a simple File Save-As dialog box
    > to let me type in the name of a file without having to manually set the
    > focus to the Filename field which visually looks like it already has the
    > focus.


    Gnome is worse in general. Buttons and so forth do not work unless you
    move the mouse away from them and then refocus them.

    There are some real rough edges in a lot of the GUI apps. A shame. In
    COLA they things thats ok because they are not "wintards". They are, of
    course, simply clueless and pretend to see the benefit of a consistent
    UI experience with sensible defaults for initial focus and tab order.

  12. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:29:01 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Roger wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:01:00 -0700, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sep 17, 8:53 am, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>>> Roger wrote:
    >>>> > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there
    >>>> > are way too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this
    >>>> > OS on a regular basis.
    >>>>
    >>>> Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large
    >>>> US corporation, of course.
    >>>>
    >>>> Yeah.
    >>>> --
    >>>> Facts are sacred ... but comment is free
    >>>
    >>> Funny, isn't it, how all these one-timers with no previous posting
    >>> history on cola or anywhere else just pop up out of nowhere with
    >>> "Linux destroyed my hard disk" type stories. They always love Linux,
    >>> but just find themselves unfortunately forced to go back to Windows.
    >>> Sort of reminds you of our all-time master of nymshifting, anonymous
    >>> posting, ie Moshe flatfish Goldfarb himself.

    >>
    >> So search for "scrollkeeper-update CPU" and the first dozen or so hits
    >> are people complaining how it's "extremely CPU intensive."
    >>
    >> Do a similar search for gDesklets not automatically starting up on
    >> login. It's also correct and accurate.
    >>
    >> The updates for Firefox that are supposedly available are not really
    >> available. But feel free to also ignore that fact.
    >>
    >> Fireup gedit yourself and try to save a file. The CORRECT way is for
    >> the Save-As dialog to appear and focus to be in the correct place where
    >> the user can simply type in the filename and press to save the
    >> file. But that's not how it works.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Funny, isn't it, how a moron like you worries more about posting
    >> history than actual verifiable problems with an OS. I guess it's easier
    >> to try and discredit the messenger than to actually acknowledge that
    >> Linux has more than a few rough edges.

    >
    > Nothing is perfect, dear chap. And if we all have to wait until every
    > invention of mankind is perfect before letting the general consumer use
    > it, then clearly Mr Ford was doing us all a grave disservice in
    > releasing his Model T.
    >
    >


    Nobody is asking for or expecting perfection. But your straw man argument
    of nothing is perfect doesn't hold water. If airplanes were randomly
    falling out of the sky at a rate of 2 per hour you couldn't excuse it by
    claiming that nothing is perfect.

    I'm not asking for or expecting perfection. But I don't expect my CPU to
    run pegged at 100% capacity after a few minutes because some application
    goes into an infinite loop. And I expect a simple File Save-As dialog box
    to let me type in the name of a file without having to manually set the
    focus to the Filename field which visually looks like it already has the
    focus.




    > The argument is stupid in the extreme.

    I agree. Your straw man argument that 'nothing is perfect' is stupid to
    the extreme. There's a difference between getting certain basic
    functionality correct and your straw man "nothing is perfect" argument.


  13. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    Roger wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:29:01 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Roger wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:01:00 -0700, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sep 17, 8:53 am, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>>>> Roger wrote:
    >>>>> > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there
    >>>>> > are way too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this
    >>>>> > OS on a regular basis.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large
    >>>>> US corporation, of course.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Yeah.
    >>>>> --
    >>>>> Facts are sacred ... but comment is free
    >>>>
    >>>> Funny, isn't it, how all these one-timers with no previous posting
    >>>> history on cola or anywhere else just pop up out of nowhere with
    >>>> "Linux destroyed my hard disk" type stories. They always love Linux,
    >>>> but just find themselves unfortunately forced to go back to Windows.
    >>>> Sort of reminds you of our all-time master of nymshifting, anonymous
    >>>> posting, ie Moshe flatfish Goldfarb himself.
    >>>
    >>> So search for "scrollkeeper-update CPU" and the first dozen or so hits
    >>> are people complaining how it's "extremely CPU intensive."
    >>>
    >>> Do a similar search for gDesklets not automatically starting up on
    >>> login. It's also correct and accurate.
    >>>
    >>> The updates for Firefox that are supposedly available are not really
    >>> available. But feel free to also ignore that fact.
    >>>
    >>> Fireup gedit yourself and try to save a file. The CORRECT way is for
    >>> the Save-As dialog to appear and focus to be in the correct place where
    >>> the user can simply type in the filename and press to save the
    >>> file. But that's not how it works.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Funny, isn't it, how a moron like you worries more about posting
    >>> history than actual verifiable problems with an OS. I guess it's easier
    >>> to try and discredit the messenger than to actually acknowledge that
    >>> Linux has more than a few rough edges.

    >>
    >> Nothing is perfect, dear chap. And if we all have to wait until every
    >> invention of mankind is perfect before letting the general consumer use
    >> it, then clearly Mr Ford was doing us all a grave disservice in
    >> releasing his Model T.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Nobody is asking for or expecting perfection. But your straw man argument
    > of nothing is perfect doesn't hold water. If airplanes were randomly
    > falling out of the sky at a rate of 2 per hour you couldn't excuse it by
    > claiming that nothing is perfect.
    >
    > I'm not asking for or expecting perfection. But I don't expect my CPU to
    > run pegged at 100% capacity after a few minutes because some application
    > goes into an infinite loop. And I expect a simple File Save-As dialog box
    > to let me type in the name of a file without having to manually set the
    > focus to the Filename field which visually looks like it already has the
    > focus.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >> The argument is stupid in the extreme.

    > I agree. Your straw man argument that 'nothing is perfect' is stupid to
    > the extreme. There's a difference between getting certain basic
    > functionality correct and your straw man "nothing is perfect" argument.


    The straw man argument is entirely yours, since you have not told us exactly
    who the 'general consumer' might be, or on what basis you judge them to be
    as mentally deficient as you in being unable to use Linux.

    Instead of whining when someone takes you to task for discrediting the
    general user, perhaps you should get down off your self-appointed
    pedestal. 'Messenger' be blowed. Bull****ter more like.

    People are a lot smarter than you give them credit for, and it seems that
    most of them are a lot smarter than you because millions of them can and do
    use Linux quite happily and effectively.

    And they don't need a helping hand from some large US corporation, thanks.

    That's all.

    --
    Facts are sacred ... but comment is free

  14. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    * Roger peremptorily fired off this memo:




  15. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:03:02 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Roger wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:29:01 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>
    >>> Roger wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:01:00 -0700, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Sep 17, 8:53 am, Robin T Cox wrote:
    >>>>>> Roger wrote:
    >>>>>> > Generally I like Linux and would use it more but right now there
    >>>>>> > are way too many rough edges for the general consumer to use this
    >>>>>> > OS on a regular basis.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Poor dears simply need to be taken care of by a nice friendly large
    >>>>>> US corporation, of course.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Yeah.
    >>>>>> --
    >>>>>> Facts are sacred ... but comment is free
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Funny, isn't it, how all these one-timers with no previous posting
    >>>>> history on cola or anywhere else just pop up out of nowhere with
    >>>>> "Linux destroyed my hard disk" type stories. They always love
    >>>>> Linux, but just find themselves unfortunately forced to go back to
    >>>>> Windows. Sort of reminds you of our all-time master of nymshifting,
    >>>>> anonymous posting, ie Moshe flatfish Goldfarb himself.
    >>>>
    >>>> So search for "scrollkeeper-update CPU" and the first dozen or so
    >>>> hits are people complaining how it's "extremely CPU intensive."
    >>>>
    >>>> Do a similar search for gDesklets not automatically starting up on
    >>>> login. It's also correct and accurate.
    >>>>
    >>>> The updates for Firefox that are supposedly available are not really
    >>>> available. But feel free to also ignore that fact.
    >>>>
    >>>> Fireup gedit yourself and try to save a file. The CORRECT way is for
    >>>> the Save-As dialog to appear and focus to be in the correct place
    >>>> where the user can simply type in the filename and press to
    >>>> save the file. But that's not how it works.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Funny, isn't it, how a moron like you worries more about posting
    >>>> history than actual verifiable problems with an OS. I guess it's
    >>>> easier to try and discredit the messenger than to actually
    >>>> acknowledge that Linux has more than a few rough edges.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing is perfect, dear chap. And if we all have to wait until every
    >>> invention of mankind is perfect before letting the general consumer
    >>> use it, then clearly Mr Ford was doing us all a grave disservice in
    >>> releasing his Model T.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Nobody is asking for or expecting perfection. But your straw man
    >> argument of nothing is perfect doesn't hold water. If airplanes were
    >> randomly falling out of the sky at a rate of 2 per hour you couldn't
    >> excuse it by claiming that nothing is perfect.
    >>
    >> I'm not asking for or expecting perfection. But I don't expect my CPU
    >> to run pegged at 100% capacity after a few minutes because some
    >> application goes into an infinite loop. And I expect a simple File
    >> Save-As dialog box to let me type in the name of a file without having
    >> to manually set the focus to the Filename field which visually looks
    >> like it already has the focus.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> The argument is stupid in the extreme.

    >> I agree. Your straw man argument that 'nothing is perfect' is stupid to
    >> the extreme. There's a difference between getting certain basic
    >> functionality correct and your straw man "nothing is perfect" argument.

    >
    > The straw man argument is entirely yours, since you have not told us
    > exactly who the 'general consumer' might be, or on what basis you judge
    > them to be as mentally deficient as you in being unable to use Linux.
    >
    > Instead of whining when someone takes you to task for discrediting the
    > general user, perhaps you should get down off your self-appointed
    > pedestal. 'Messenger' be blowed. Bull****ter more like.
    >
    > People are a lot smarter than you give them credit for, and it seems
    > that most of them are a lot smarter than you because millions of them
    > can and do use Linux quite happily and effectively.
    >
    > And they don't need a helping hand from some large US corporation,
    > thanks.
    >
    > That's all.


    The general consumer is any normal person who tries to run Linux. Here's a
    bunch of normal people all complaining about it. According to your logic,
    they are also "mentally deficient" since they seem to have the EXACT same
    problem with this nasty bug that's at least 2 years old. Oh yeah... the
    scrollkeeper project has become defunct so don't expect a fix anytime soon
    dear.


    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...per/+bug/44535



    Yes, I agree. I often have to wait a long time for scrollkeeper to run. I
    read that scrollkeeper is unmaintained and there is a project to replace
    it named 'spoon'.


    So as my laptop is (yet again) being stuck during an update, and two
    scrollkeeper-update processes are burning all CPU cycles...

    Yes, scrollkeeper is so slow I thought it was broken! I've been killing it
    during upgrades so that they can complete. This is on a group of 550-650
    mhz PIIIs.

    This bug should be marked high, I can't stand waiting 90+ minutes for this
    to finish. I have a Pentium III machine and this well spoils my ubuntu
    experience, I have to do sudo kilall scrollkeeper-update all the time.

    I have a 3.2GHz quad core CPU and it still runs for > 3 minutes! On my
    poor little PowerPC G3 scrollkeeper ran for hours until the battery
    finally died. It's a blight on the Ubuntu experience.





    But sure... because some ignorant twat named Robin Cox claims that I'm
    mentally deficient I guess that this scrollkeeper bug is complete BS. And
    the people in this forum that have complained for TWO YEARS are all in on
    the conspiracy.



    Your claims and straw man arguments still don't change the verifiable FACT
    that even something as simple and basic as the user interface of the File
    Save-As dialog in gedit is a worthless piece of crap.




  16. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:18:18 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Roger peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Complain all you want girl but the fact of the matter is that this
    >> rather large US software company is currently doing a much better job
    >> providing a desktop OS than the bearded, sandal wearing, granola eating
    >> masses.

    >
    > Heh heh.
    >
    >> I also noticed that you have no comment about the slew of problems that
    >> even a casual user is bound to run into.
    >>
    >>> Yeah.

    >>
    >> Yeah... when some 'scrollkeeper-up' application toasts the CPU and kills
    >> any chance of reasonable battery life the average user is going to be
    >> really happy with their penguin.

    >
    > A stock troll from the Wintroll handbook.


    Didn't take the troll long to show its *true* colors did it.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.
    He thought he was God, and she didn't.


  17. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Sep 17, 11:07 am, William Poaster
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:18:18 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    > > * Roger peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >
    > >> Complain all you want girl but the fact of the matter is that this
    > >> rather large US software company is currently doing a much better job
    > >> providing a desktop OS than the bearded, sandal wearing, granola eating
    > >> masses.

    >
    > > Heh heh.

    >
    > >> I also noticed that you have no comment about the slew of problems that
    > >> even a casual user is bound to run into.

    >
    > >>> Yeah.

    >
    > >> Yeah... when some 'scrollkeeper-up' application toasts the CPU and kills
    > >> any chance of reasonable battery life the average user is going to be
    > >> really happy with their penguin.

    >
    > > A stock troll from the Wintroll handbook.

    >
    > Didn't take the troll long to show its *true* colors did it.
    >
    > --
    > Did you know?
    > Hardon Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.
    > He thought he was God, and she didn't.


    That's what I thought, too. He turned awfully nasty awfully quickly,
    for someone who has never posted here (or apparently anywhere else)
    before. He's right, though: I do eat granola.

  18. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    Roger trolled:

    >don't give me much confidence in Linux being ready for the desktop anytime soon.


    Dell thinks differently.

    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

    --
    "No, I did mean it creates the root account with password 'root' when
    you install from the LiveCD. But I could be wrong; I went back to my
    earlier posts and I can't find where I actually did the install."
    - DumFSck

  19. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On 2008-09-17, Roger wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:16:59 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Roger peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> ***** Suddenly I notice that the cooling fan on the laptop is roaring.
    >>> I run PS and see that some 'scrollkeeper-up' application is pegging my
    >>> CPU.

    >>
    >> "Roaring". Nice hyperbolic touch, there.
    >>
    >>

    > Yeah "roaring" - I've had this laptop for about 2 years and I've never
    > heard the CPU fan have to run at the highest speed in order to keep the


    You must use it like a doorstop then.

    > CPU cool. Evidently this 'scrollkeeper-up' application has a history of
    > maxing out the CPU so what do you expect a laptop to do when the CPU runs
    > at 100% for who knows how long.


    Ok, so some application that is basically the Linux equivalent of
    "some 3rd party app" isn't so hot. Big fat hairy deal.

    [deletia]

    Without the trolls, some of us would never be aware of some of t
    these "problems". If this app is eating up your CPU cycles and is a
    mystery then the obvious thing to do is to KILL it and then uninstall
    it.

    This goes for any OS but probably is easier for Linux.

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||
    technology grows by accretion, each new creator / | \
    building on the works of those that came before.

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit


    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. Re: Linux works - If you ignore the rough edges.

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:37:49 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Roger trolled:
    >
    >>don't give me much confidence in Linux being ready for the desktop anytime soon.

    >
    > Dell thinks differently.
    >




    Lenovo thinks differently. How long before Dell drops linux desktops AGAIN?


    Lenovo Halts Sales Of Linux PCs Online

    Due to poor demand, Lenovo has announced that it will stop selling Linux based PCs online. The company will still pre-certify Novell and Red Hat Linux on systems sold through sales teams and business partners but it will no longer offer Linux PCs online.



    http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?new...VzaWFzdCwsLDE=



    > http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs



+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast