[News] [Rival] AV Software a Pig on Windows, Windows 7apourware is Vista ME3 - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] AV Software a Pig on Windows, Windows 7apourware is Vista ME3

    Is Norton Internet Security 2009 just lipstick on a pig?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Despite being pretty much the market leader in consumer IT security
    | solutions, Symantec has spent years trying hard to shake off a well deserved
    | reputation of hitting the unsuspecting public with resource hungry, slow
    | products that are a bitch to uninstall.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20676/1054/

    Windows 7 hits Milestone 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From what admittedly little I had a chance to see, Windows 7 does not look or
    | feel like a major departure from Windows Vista.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1590

    Recent:

    Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
    | it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
    | have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
    | look like.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Midori for Linux?
    |
    | One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
    | worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
    | mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
    | traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
    | rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
    | Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
    | Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/14970...n_windows.html

    Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
    | a research project.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...nical_details/

    Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars [in less than a year]

    http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

    Windows 7: R.I.P.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Death throes. That’s how I’d describe the latest barrage of white papers from
    | Microsoft. The company’s flagship, Windows Vista, is thrashing around in the
    | shallows like a wounded animal, fighting in vain to escape the inevitable.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Now we learn that there’s no point in waiting for Windows 7 because,
    | according to Microsoft, “it’ll be just like Vista.”
    |
    | Talk about eating your young! Microsoft is now publicly trashing their next
    | version in order to salvage their current dud. Never mind that they’re
    | killing the very positive mystique surrounding Windows 7. Company executives
    | are hell bent on proving that the Vista “Refuseniks” were wrong, and they’re
    | not above using force to achieve their goal.
    |
    | That’s right, hidden within their latest propaganda piece is the not so
    | veiled threat that customers who bypass Vista risk widening the very
    | compatibility chasm that dissuaded them in the first place. That’s because
    | Microsoft has no intention of making it any easier for customers to upgrade
    | to Windows 7 from XP than it is for them to upgrade from XP to Vista today.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterpri...ows_7_rip.html

    CIOs Uncensored: For The Sake Of IT, Leave XP Alone

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just finished a presentation to a group of nontechnical executives, and I'm
    | even more angry about Microsoft's plan to end shipments of Windows XP this
    | summer. I'd been making my list of reasons Microsoft shouldn't get rid of XP.
    | Now I've got one more biggie--it's going to set back the hard-earned progress
    | CIOs have been making in getting IT viewed as a strategic part of their
    | organizations.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/57t2st

    Microsoft’s credibility turning to junk while Linux revenue grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sweeping changes are needed in Microsoft’s go-to-market approach, and it may
    | find more success by creating products like Live Writer, which found a huge
    | following right away. Continuing on its current path, the company will
    | continue to destroy its credibility and build animosity with users looking
    | for quality products on their terms. * *
    `----

    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
    %20/2008/04/10/microsofts-credibility-turning-to-junk-while-linux-revenue-grows/
    http://tinyurl.com/5fojkd

    Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
    Power Rankings

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Would you believe... that Microsoft has dropped down to #86 within the
    | Fortune Best Places to Work survey? That's down from #50 in 2007 and #42 in
    | 2006. Like a rock. In a bad way. And who is #1 for two years in a row? Grab
    | that chair and give it a big effen toss in the air to Google! Toot! They get
    | bigger and they're still #1. * *
    `----

    http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/02...nd-mspoll.html

    Apple has biggest impact on world consumers: survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, the world's largest software maker was also a winner, but it
    | received the dubious honor of the brand most readers wanted to argue with,
    | and the one they most wanted to revamp. Voted into second place in the
    | category was brand USA. *
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...50164020080331

    What we do know about Windows 7

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows 7 will be a minor update to Vista — with “minor,” here, meaning as
    | less disruptive as possible to users and their applications. Microsoft has
    | said Windows 7 will use the same driver model that Vista did.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1413

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] AV Software a Pig on Windows, Windows 7apourware is Vista ME3

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:51:06 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Is Norton Internet Security 2009 just lipstick on a pig?

    I doubt you will be able to find a single knowledgeable Windows user who
    will reccomend Norton ANYTHING for a PC.

    Installing a bloated pig like Internet Security is a sure fire method for
    slowing down your system as well as potentially causing problems.

    There are far better, free alternatives available.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] AV Software a Pig on Windows, Windows 7apourware is Vista ME3

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > I doubt you will be able to find a single knowledgeable Windows user who
    > will reccomend Norton ANYTHING for a PC.
    >
    > Installing a bloated pig like Internet Security is a sure fire method for
    > slowing down your system as well as potentially causing problems.
    >
    > There are far better, free alternatives available.

    It's a shame. Norton used to make some good stuff.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] AV Software a Pig on Windows, Windows 7apourware is Vista ME3

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:07:49 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> I doubt you will be able to find a single knowledgeable Windows user who
    >> will reccomend Norton ANYTHING for a PC.
    >>
    >> Installing a bloated pig like Internet Security is a sure fire method for
    >> slowing down your system as well as potentially causing problems.
    >>
    >> There are far better, free alternatives available.

    > It's a shame. Norton used to make some good stuff.

    Yes they did.
    Peter Norton's "Inside xxxyyyzz" books were also very well written.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/