[News] Preview of Free/Open Source Blender Game - Linux

  1. [News] Preview of Free/Open Source Blender Game

    Blender Game Engine Tech Demo

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For several months the Blender and Crystal Space projects have been working
    | together to develop an open-source game they hope will be of a professional
    | quality and deliver an industry standard 3D gaming experience. This game, now
    | called Yo Frankie, was supposed to be released at the end of August, but that
    | deadline wasn't met. However, released now is the first technology demo for
    | the Blender Game Engine. This tech demo is playable and includes a small
    | level from Yo Frankie, but to be released soon will be a more game-oriented
    | demo that includes additional characteristics and game-play options.
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._frankie&num=1

    Nice screenshots.

    Recent:

    Big Buck Bunny builds a better Blender

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Big Buck Bunny is the colorful product of the Peach open movie project: an
    | animated short released online and on DVD. But in addition to the 'toon
    | itself, Peach has produced an altogether different yield: improvements to the
    | Blender 3-D modeling application. Like its predecessor Project Orange, Peach
    | pushed the open source tool forward with the demands of a real-world media
    | production, in a way that hobbyist usage cannot. Could other free software
    | projects use the same model?
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/139454

    Second open source HD movie set to arrive on May 15

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On May 15, the Blender Foundation is releasing its latest open source
    | project. Known as Project Peach, Big Buck Bunny is coming to DVD (available
    | for preorder). Big Buck Bunny or Project Peach will come in two DVD versions,
    | one version containing the "best DVD quality widescreen format" (both NTSC
    | and PAL are available), while the second will feature an HD version of the
    | movie using a regular dual-layer DVD disc (.avi and .mov formats).
    `----

    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37138/98/

    Creative Collaboration: The Open Source Filmmaking Experiment

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With new collaborative tools available, some filmmakers are opening up their
    | work to the participation of others. Tapping into the creative power of the
    | crowd can take a film in an entirely new direction -- one that the creator
    | hadn't even envisioned.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Creative Commons, which gives users the option of opening up the rights to
    | their work, has done much to facilitate open source creative work, including
    | filmmaking,
    `----

    Related:

    Apricot Open Game

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Starting February 1st 2008, a small team of again the best 3D artist and
    | developers will develop a game jointly with the on-line community. The main
    | characters in the game are based on the short 3D animation open movie Peach.
    | At the end of July 2008 the game will be launched. The team members will get
    | a great studio facility and housing in Amsterdam, all travel costs
    | reimbursed, and a fee sufficient to cover all expenses during the period. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?storyid=2341

    Peach Open Movie

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As a follow-up to the successful project Orange's "Elephants Dream",
    | the Blender Foundation will initiate another open movie project.
    | Again a couple of the best 3D artists and developers in the Blender
    | community will be invited to come together to work in Amsterdam on
    | completing a short 3D animation movie.
    `----

    http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/bl...ion/2007-plans

    Crystal Space 3D

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Crystal Space is our main project. It is a free cross-platform
    | software development kit for realtime 3D graphics, in particular games...
    | Apricot is the Open Game project together with Blender.
    `----

    http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page

  2. Re: [News] Preview of Free/Open Source Blender Game

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:28:44 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Blender Game Engine Tech Demo
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| For several months the Blender and Crystal Space projects have been working
    >| together to develop an open-source game they hope will be of a professional
    >| quality and deliver an industry standard 3D gaming experience. This game, now
    >| called Yo Frankie, was supposed to be released at the end of August, but that
    >| deadline wasn't met. However, released now is the first technology demo for
    >| the Blender Game Engine. This tech demo is playable and includes a small
    >| level from Yo Frankie, but to be released soon will be a more game-oriented
    >| demo that includes additional characteristics and game-play options.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._frankie&num=1
    >
    > Nice screenshots.

    That looks pretty kool....

    Yo Frankie is a great name for a game!

    They should have a sequel called "Yo Adrian"

    Haha!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Preview of Free/Open Source Blender Game

    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._frankie&num=1
    >>
    >> Nice screenshots.

    > That looks pretty kool....
    >
    > Yo Frankie is a great name for a game!
    >
    > They should have a sequel called "Yo Adrian"
    >
    > Haha!

    Haha on /you/! Why? Because you're looking as bad as Rockie is these
    days.

    Unfortunately, so am I! Good thing age creeps up slowly, or we'd all
    kill ourselves.

    --
    Linux is obsolete
    -- Andrew Tanenbaum

  4. Re: [News] Preview of Free/Open Source Blender Game

    Linonut writes:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._frankie&num=1
    >>>
    >>> Nice screenshots.

    >> That looks pretty kool....
    >>
    >> Yo Frankie is a great name for a game!
    >>
    >> They should have a sequel called "Yo Adrian"
    >>
    >> Haha!

    > Haha on /you/! Why? Because you're looking as bad as Rockie is these
    > days.
    >
    > Unfortunately, so am I! Good thing age creeps up slowly, or we'd all
    > kill ourselves.

    I think Liarmutt is back on the potstill.

    --
    "Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
    probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight

+ Reply to Thread